Category:Pirates of the Caribbean (film series)
Pages in category "Pirates of the Caribbean (film series)"
The following 6 pages are in this category, out of 6 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 6 pages are in this category, out of 6 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Pirates of the Caribbean (film series) – Pirates of the Caribbean is a series of fantasy swashbuckler films produced by Jerry Bruckheimer and based on Walt Disneys theme park ride of the same name. Directors of the series include Gore Verbinski, Rob Marshall, and Joachim Rønning, the series was most notably written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, other writers include Stuart Beattie, Jay Wolpert, and Jeff Nathanson. The stories followed the adventures of Captain Jack Sparrow, Will Turner, characters such as Hector Barbossa and Joshamee Gibbs follow Jack, Will, and Elizabeth in the course of the films. The fourth film featured Philip Swift and Syrena, while the film will feature Henry Turner. The films take place in a historical setting, a world ruled by the British Empire, the East India Company. After the first films success, Walt Disney Pictures revealed that a trilogy was in the works, the franchises second film, subtitled Dead Mans Chest, was released three years later in 2006, the sequel proved successful, breaking financial records worldwide the day of its premiere. Dead Mans Chest ended up being the one film of the year upon earning almost $1.1 billion at the worldwide box office. The third film in the series, subtitled At Worlds End, followed in 2007, on Stranger Tides succeeded in also grossing more than $1 billion, becoming the second film in the franchise and only the eighth film in history to achieve this. A fifth film, subtitled Dead Men Tell No Tales, is set to be released on May 26,2017. Blacksmith Will Turner teams up with eccentric pirate Captain Jack Sparrow to save Turners love, Elizabeth Swann, from cursed pirates led by Jacks mutinous former first mate, Captain Barbossa. Jack wants revenge against Barbossa, who left him stranded on an island before stealing his ship, lord Cutler Beckett of the East India Trading Company arrests Will and Elizabeth for aiding Captain Jack Sparrow in the previous film. Lord Beckett gains power over Davy Jones and, with the help of the Flying Dutchman, to stand against the East India Trading Co. Will, Elizabeth, Barbossa, and the crew of the Black Pearl set out to rescue Captain Jack Sparrow from Davy Jones Locker, as one of the Nine Pirate Lords, Jack is needed in order to summon an ancient goddess with the power to defeat Becketts forces. Captain Jack Sparrow is on a quest to find the fabled Fountain of Youth and crosses paths with a former lover and she forces Jack aboard the Queen Annes Revenge, a ship captained by the infamous pirate Blackbeard, Angelicas father. Both are also in search of the Fountain, Angelica to save her fathers soul, joining the hunt is former pirate captain Barbossa, now a privateer in King George IIs Navy, who is in a race against the Spanish for the Fountain of Youth. Captain Jacks only hope of survival lies in seeking out the legendary Trident of Poseidon, with the release of the official trailer of Dead Men Tell No Tales, it was suggested that Dead Men will be the last film in the franchise. However, on March 4,2017, director Joachim Rønning stated that Dead Men was only the beginning of the final adventure, wenches Scarlett and Giselle fix each other up for their wedding, in which they would each marry their groom. Upon realizing that both their grooms were the same man – Jack Sparrow – the two find themselves in an auction led by the Auctioneer
2. Pirates of the Caribbean: At World's End – Pirates of the Caribbean, At Worlds End is a 2007 American epic fantasy swashbuckler film and the third installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. It is the last film in the series to be directed by Gore Verbinski and it was filmed in two shoots during 2005 and 2006, the former simultaneously with the preceding film, Dead Mans Chest. The film was released in English-speaking countries on May 25,2007, the film was praised for its performances, musical score, action scenes, and special effects, but was criticized for its plot and running time. At Worlds End was a box office hit, becoming the most successful film of 2007, with over $960 million worldwide. It was nominated for the Academy Award for Best Makeup and Hairstyling and the Academy Award for Best Visual Effects, which it lost to La Vie en Rose and The Golden Compass, respectively. A fourth installment, On Stranger Tides, the first in the series to neither be directed by Verbinski nor star Bloom and Knightley, was released in cinemas on May 20,2011. With a production budget of $300 million, Pirates of the Caribbean, At Worlds End was the most expensive ever made at the time of its release. To control the oceans, Lord Cutler Beckett executes anyone associated with piracy by ordering Davy Jones to destroy all pirate ships in the seas, condemned prisoners sing Hoist the Colours to compel the nine Pirate Lords to convene at Shipwreck Cove to hold the Brethren Court. Traveling to Singapore, the crew meet Captain Sao Feng, who owns navigational charts to the Locker, Becketts soldiers invade, but the crew escape. Feng and Turner make a deal to give Jack to Feng, the crew travels to the locker and rescues the marooned Jack. They find themselves trapped, encountering dead souls, including Elizabeths father Governor Swann and they learn the Dutchman must always have a captain. Returning to the world, the Pearl is attacked by Sao Feng. Sao Feng tells Elizabeth that the first Brethren Court bound Calypso in human form after she betrayed her lover and he plans to release her to defeat Beckett. Davy Jones attacks Fengs ship, but Feng appoints Elizabeth his successor as Pirate Lord before dying, admiral Norrington frees Elizabeth and her new crew from the Dutchman, but is killed by a crazed Bootstrap Bill. The Black Pearl arrives at Shipwreck Cove where Barbossa attempts to persuade the Brethren Court to release Calypso, Davy Jones visits Tia Dalma in the Pearls brig, revealing she is Calypso, and they promise to be together again. Jacks father Captain Teague and Keeper of the Pirate Code, informs the Court that only an elected Pirate King can decide, to avoid a stalemate, Jack casts his vote for Elizabeth, making her King. The Brethren Court and Becketts fleets emerge for war, Barbossa frees Calypso, but when Will reveals it was Jones who made it possible for the first Court to imprison her, Calypso vanishes and summons an enormous maelstrom. The Pearl and the Dutchman battle in the maelstrom, Elizabeth and Will are wed by Barbossa before swinging over to the Dutchman to aid Jack
3. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest – Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Mans Chest is a 2006 American fantasy swashbuckler film and the second installment of the Pirates of the Caribbean film series, following The Curse of the Black Pearl. It was directed by Gore Verbinski, written by Ted Elliott and Terry Rossio, Sparrow discovers his debt to Davy Jones is due. Two sequels to Pirates of the Caribbean, The Curse of the Black Pearl were conceived in 2004, with Elliott and Rossio developing a story arc that would span both films. Filming took place from February to September 2005 in Palos Verdes, Saint Vincent and the Grenadines, Dominica and it was shot back-to-back with the third film of the series, Pirates of the Caribbean, At Worlds End. Dead Mans Chest was released in the United States on July 7,2006, the film received Academy Award nominations for Best Art Direction, Sound Editing, Sound Mixing, and won the Academy Award for Visual Effects. Norringtons whereabouts are uncertain, as he resigned after his obsessive pursuit of Sparrow resulted in the Navys flagship, HMS Dauntless, Elizabeth is imprisoned and Jack reunites with Will’s father Bootstrap Bill, on the Black Pearl. Bootstrap reveals he is a crewman on the Flying Dutchman, captained by Davy Jones, Jack must join Jones crew or be dragged to Davy Jones Locker by the monstrous Kraken. Beckett promises to free Elizabeth if Will tracks down Jack and brings Beckett Jacks magic compass which points to whatever the holder wants most, will eventually finds Jacks crew on an island ruled by cannibals, who worship Jack as a god, from which they escape. Shortly after, Governor Swann tries to escape Port Royal with Elizabeth but is captured, Elizabeth negotiates with Beckett to let her escape to find the compass herself, and she hides aboard a Scottish merchant vessel, the Edinburgh Trader. The pirates meet voodoo priestess Tia Dalma, who tells them Jones’ weakness is his heart, locating the Dutchman, Will is shanghaied into service while Jones sends Jack to bring him one-hundred souls so his blood debt can be paid. On the Dutchman, Will meets his father, and learns that the key is in Jones possession. After playing a game of liars dice against Davy Jones, Bootstrap helps Will escape with the key, in Tortuga, Jack hires a new crew, including Elizabeth, and Norrington, now a drunk. In the chaos, Jack obtains Jones heart and hides it in a jar of dirt, Jack manages to break free, but is dragged with the Pearl down to the bottom of the sea by the Kraken. Jones discovers that his heart was stolen and lost. The Pearl’s crew take shelter with Tia Dalma, where they all agree to rescue Jack, Tia Dalma introduces the captain that will guide them, the resurrected Captain Barbossa. In a post-credits scene, the tribe now worships a dog in replacement of Jack. They wanted to explore the reality of what would happen after Will Turner and Elizabeth Swanns embrace at the end of the first film and they settled on introducing Davy Jones, the Flying Dutchman and the Kraken. They also introduced the historical East India Trading Company, who for them represented a counterpoint to the themes of freedom represented by pirates
4. Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales – Pirates of the Caribbean, Dead Men Tell No Tales is an upcoming American fantasy swashbuckler film, and the fifth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. The film is directed by Joachim Rønning and Espen Sandberg from a script by Jeff Nathanson, Johnny Depp, Kevin McNally, and Geoffrey Rush reprise their roles as Jack Sparrow, Joshamee Gibbs, and Hector Barbossa, respectively. The film also stars Javier Bardem as Armando Salazar, Brenton Thwaites as Henry Turner, the film also features the return of Orlando Bloom as Will Turner, following his absence from the fourth installment, On Stranger Tides. The filmmakers cited the first installment, The Curse of the Black Pearl, as inspiration for the script, pre-production for the film started shortly before On Stranger Tides was released in early 2011, with Terry Rossio writing a script for the film. In early 2013, Jeff Nathanson was hired to write a new script, initially planned for a 2015 release, the film was delayed to 2016 and then to 2017, due to script and budget issues. Principal photography started in Australia in February 2015, after the Australian government offered Disney $20 million of tax incentives and it is set to be released in conventional, Disney Digital 3-D, RealD 3D, and IMAX 3D formats on May 26,2017. Captain Jack Sparrow is pursued by an old rival, Armando Salazar, who along with his Spanish Navy ghost crew has escaped from the Devils Triangle, and is determined to kill every pirate at sea. Jack seeks the Trident of Poseidon, an artifact that grants its possessor total control over the seas. Johnny Depp as Captain Jack Sparrow, The eccentric but noble pirate captain of the Black Pearl on the hunt for the Trident of Poseidon, Javier Bardem as Captain Armando Salazar, A powerful and maniacal undead pirate hunter of the Spanish Navy who was trapped in the Devils Triangle. After escaping, he seeks the Trident of Poseidon to wipe out all piracy and exact revenge on his old enemy, Brenton Thwaites as Henry Turner, A young man who tries to reconnect with his father. He struggles to break a curse that is preventing him from doing so, lewis McGowan portrays a young Henry. Kaya Scodelario as Carina Smyth, A feisty and altruistic astronomer, Scodelario explained the characters motivation and role saying, she is an academic, shes fighting for the right to study at university, because women couldnt at that time. So shes on her own journey – looking for the trident of Poseidon – and she discussed the difference between Carina and Elizabeth Swann, believing that she was not just a carbon copy of that character. Kevin McNally as Joshamee Gibbs, Captain Jacks loyal friend and First Mate, Geoffrey Rush as Captain Hector Barbossa, The one-legged pirate captain of the Queen Annes Revenge, former captain of the Black Pearl, and Captain Jacks former rival-turned-ally. Orlando Bloom as Captain William Will Turner, Jr, a blacksmith-turned-pirate who was transformed into the Captain of the Flying Dutchman at the end of At Worlds End. Golshifteh Farahani as Shansa, a sea-witch, Stephen Graham as Scrum, Barbossas crewmember of the Queen Annes Revenge, former member of Blackbeards crew. However, it was stated that only a fifth film was in the works. On January 11,2013, Jeff Nathanson signed on to write the script for the film, rob Marshall, the director of the last film, was believed for return to direct, but he declined after he chose to direct Into the Woods and The Thin Man
5. Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides – Pirates of the Caribbean, On Stranger Tides is a 2011 American fantasy swashbuckler film and the fourth installment in the Pirates of the Caribbean film series. It is the first film in the not to be directed by Gore Verbinski. Jerry Bruckheimer again served as producer, the film serves as a stand-alone sequel to the previous installments. The film was produced by Walt Disney Pictures and released in the United States on May 20,2011 and it was the first film in the series to be released in the Disney Digital 3-D and IMAX 3D formats. Pre-production started after the end of the 2007–2008 Writers Guild of America strike, principal photography rolled for 106 days between June and November 2010, with locations in Hawaii, the United Kingdom, Puerto Rico, and California. Filming employed 3D cameras similar to those used in the production of the 2009 film Avatar, following inflated production costs it is currently noted as the most expensive film ever made. On Stranger Tides broke many box office records upon release, a sequel, titled Dead Men Tell No Tales, is scheduled to be released on May 26,2017. After a failed attempt to rescue his first mate, Joshamee Gibbs in London, the king wants Jack to guide an expedition to the Fountain of Youth before King Ferdinand and the Spanish Navy can locate it. Jacks old nemesis, Captain Hector Barbossa, now a privateer in service to the British Navy after losing his leg and ship, the Black Pearl, Jack refuses the offer and escapes. He meets up with his father, Captain Teague, who warns Jack about the Fountains rituals, Jack learns someone is impersonating him to recruit a crew to find the Fountain. While Jack is shanghaied aboard Blackbeards ship, Gibbs escapes execution by memorizing and destroying Jacks map showing the Fountains location, meanwhile, after a failed mutiny aboard the Queen Annes Revenge, Jack is forced to guide the crew to the Fountain. Blackbeard seeks the Fountains power to circumvent his predestined fatal encounter with a one-legged man, Jack must find two silver chalices aboard Juan Ponce de Leóns missing flagship, the Santiago. The Fountains water must simultaneously be drunk by two people from the chalices, drinking from one chalice containing a mermaids tear will extend life, the second person dies, their remaining years of life transferred to the other drinker. Jack also discovers that the Black Pearl was captured and shrunk before being added to Blackbeards collection of shrunken ships in bottles. The Queen Annes Revenge heads for Whitecap Bay to find and harvest mermaid tears, a mermaid named Syrena is caught, but Philip Swift, a captive missionary, falls in love with her. Reaching Ponce de Leóns ship on an island, Angelica. Jack locates the grounded, decaying vessel, only to find Barbossa there, both guess that the Spanish have taken the chalices, after they are nowhere to be found on the vessel. Jack and Barbossa team up to sneak into the Spanish camp, Barbossa reveals he only wants revenge against Blackbeard for attacking the Black Pearl, and his leg being amputated