Category:Roadrunner Records artists
Pages in category "Roadrunner Records artists"
The following 103 pages are in this category, out of 103 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 103 pages are in this category, out of 103 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Heavy metal music – Heavy metal is a genre of rock music that developed in the late 1960s and early 1970s, largely in the United Kingdom and the United States. Heavy metal lyrics and performance styles are associated with aggression. The first heavy metal such as Led Zeppelin, Black Sabbath. During the mid-1970s, Judas Priest helped spur the evolution by discarding much of its blues influence, Motörhead introduced a punk rock sensibility. Beginning in the late 1970s, bands in the new wave of British heavy metal such as Iron Maiden, before the end of the decade, heavy metal fans became known as metalheads or headbangers. During the 1980s, glam metal became popular with such as Mötley Crüe. Since the mid-1990s popular styles have further expanded the definition of the genre and these include groove metal and nu metal, the latter of which often incorporates elements of grunge and hip hop. Heavy metal is characterized by loud distorted guitars, emphatic rhythms, dense bass-and-drum sound. Metal subgenres variously emphasize, alter, or omit one or more of these attributes, the typical band lineup includes a drummer, a bassist, a rhythm guitarist, a lead guitarist, and a singer, who may or may not be an instrumentalist. Keyboard instruments are used to enhance the fullness of the sound. Deep Purples Jon Lord played an overdriven Hammond organ, in 1970, John Paul Jones used a Moog synthesizer on Led Zeppelin III, by the 1990s, in. almost every subgenre of heavy metal synthesizers were used. The electric guitar and the power that it projects through amplification has historically been the key element in heavy metal. The heavy metal guitar sound comes from a use of high volumes. Guitar solos are an element of the heavy metal code. That underscores the significance of the guitar to the genre, most heavy metal songs featur at least one guitar solo, which is a primary means through which the heavy metal performer expresses virtuosity. One exception is nu metal bands, which tend to omit guitar solos, with rhythm guitar parts, the heavy crunch sound in heavy metal. Palm muting the strings with the hand and using distortion. Palm muting creates a tighter, more sound and it emphasizes the low end
2. Rock music – It has its roots in 1940s and 1950s rock and roll, itself heavily influenced by blues, rhythm and blues and country music. Rock music also drew strongly on a number of genres such as electric blues and folk. Musically, rock has centered on the guitar, usually as part of a rock group with electric bass guitar. Typically, rock is song-based music usually with a 4/4 time signature using a verse-chorus form, like pop music, lyrics often stress romantic love but also address a wide variety of other themes that are frequently social or political in emphasis. Punk was an influence into the 1980s on the subsequent development of subgenres, including new wave, post-punk. From the 1990s alternative rock began to rock music and break through into the mainstream in the form of grunge, Britpop. Similarly, 1970s punk culture spawned the visually distinctive goth and emo subcultures and this trio of instruments has often been complemented by the inclusion of other instruments, particularly keyboards such as the piano, Hammond organ and synthesizers. The basic rock instrumentation was adapted from the blues band instrumentation. A group of musicians performing rock music is termed a rock band or rock group, Rock music is traditionally built on a foundation of simple unsyncopated rhythms in a 4/4 meter, with a repetitive snare drum back beat on beats two and four. Melodies are often derived from older musical modes, including the Dorian and Mixolydian, harmonies range from the common triad to parallel fourths and fifths and dissonant harmonic progressions. Critics have stressed the eclecticism and stylistic diversity of rock, because of its complex history and tendency to borrow from other musical and cultural forms, it has been argued that it is impossible to bind rock music to a rigidly delineated musical definition. These themes were inherited from a variety of sources, including the Tin Pan Alley pop tradition, folk music and rhythm, as a result, it has been seen as articulating the concerns of this group in both style and lyrics. Christgau, writing in 1972, said in spite of some exceptions, rock and roll usually implies an identification of male sexuality, according to Simon Frith rock was something more than pop, something more than rock and roll. Rock musicians combined an emphasis on skill and technique with the concept of art as artistic expression, original. The foundations of music are in rock and roll, which originated in the United States during the late 1940s and early 1950s. Its immediate origins lay in a melding of various musical genres of the time, including rhythm and blues and gospel music, with country. In 1951, Cleveland, Ohio disc jockey Alan Freed began playing rhythm and blues music for a multi-racial audience, debate surrounds which record should be considered the first rock and roll record. Other artists with rock and roll hits included Chuck Berry, Bo Diddley, Fats Domino, Little Richard, Jerry Lee Lewis
3. Roadrunner Records – Roadrunner Records is a major record label that concentrates primarily on heavy metal and hard rock bands. It is a division of Warner Music Group and is based in New York City, the label was launched in 1980 in the Netherlands. Roadrunners initial business was importing North American metal-band recordings into Europe, in 1986, Roadrunner opened its US headquarters in New York City and later opened offices in the United Kingdom, Germany, France, Japan, Australia, Denmark, Russia and the latest in Canada. Early successes included albums from King Diamond and Annihilator, the label also handled early Metallica releases in the Scandinavian region. The end of the 1980s saw the release of two albums that are now considered classics of their genres, Obituarys Slowly We Rot. The 1990s saw the arrival of such as Life of Agony, Machine Head, Suffocation, Type O Negative. As the 1990s wore on, several of Roadrunners bands managed to make an impact on the mainstream, most notably Sepultura, Sepulturas 1993 album, Chaos A. D. became the first Roadrunner band to crack the Top 40 on the Billboard album chart. Type O Negative became the first Roadrunner band to receive a certification from the RIAA, this was a Gold award for the 1993 album Bloody Kisses, the band also became the first Roadrunner band to receive radio play. In 2000, Slipknot became the first Roadrunner band to go Platinum, nickelback were also very successful on the label. Derek Shulman ran the label in the late 90s, beginning in 2001, Roadrunner was distributed by the Universal Music Group through a share of the label owned by The Island Def Jam Music Group. On December 18,2006, Warner Music Group signed an agreement to purchase a majority in shares of Roadrunner Records parent company and this deal became finalized on January 29,2007 after receiving regulatory approval in Germany. On June 11,2008, Roadrunner Records was voted as the Best Metal Label by Metal Hammer at their Golden Gods Awards, the award was accepted by Sharon Den Adel and Ruud Jolie of Within Temptation, one of Roadrunners biggest acts. However, Roadrunner has also accused of being a label only interested in current or trendy alternative music, reflected by their roster of mainly popular. One of the earliest names on the label, King Diamond, left the label due to alleged lack of support for the 1990 King Diamond release. In 2008, punk cabaret chanteuse Amanda Palmer was told by the label that wanted to re-edit her video for Leeds United to make her look slimmer. On April 6,2010, Palmer announced on her Twitter account that Roadrunner had dropped her, the most recent complaints about Roadrunner have come from one of the labels biggest bands Megadeth. Roadrunner Records was significantly affected by Warner Music Groups legal dispute against YouTube, most of the videos on their channel, however, are still viewable. There is even a disclaimer talking about Warners dispute right on the channel, on November 11,2010, Warner Music Group announced they had acquired the remaining of Roadrunners stock
4. 36 Crazyfists – 36 Crazyfists is a heavy metal band formed in Anchorage, Alaska, and later based in Portland, Oregon. The bands name comes from the Jackie Chan film Jackie Chan and they have released seven studio albums, In the Skin, Bitterness the Star, A Snow Capped Romance, Rest Inside the Flames, The Tide and Its Takers, Collisions and Castaways, and Time and Trauma. 36 Crazyfists formed in 1994 in Nikiski, Alaska, the original members were vocalist Brock Lindow, guitarists Steve Holt and Ryan Brownell, bassist JD Stuart, and drummer Thomas Noonan. Holt is from Kenai, and Lindow spent much of his childhood there, Lindow, Brownell, Stuart, and Noonan are all from Anchorage. 36CF originated from the remains of three bands, Grin, Hessian, and Broke. JD Stuart played in Grin, Brock Lindow in Hessian, and Steve Holt, one of the circumstances influencing the formation of 36CF was the murder of Brokes drummer Duane Monsen. On January 28,1994, Broke played a set at the Underground bar in Anchorage, later that night there was an altercation between Monsen and a drunken soldier who was stationed locally at Ft. Richardson. According to an article in the Anchorage Daily News, Monsen tried to apologize and defuse the situation, in the wake of this tragedy, Monsens friends organized a benefit concert to raise funds for his family. Monsens protégé Thomas Noonan played the drums at this show and the musicians decided that they were an excellent match, in retrospect, it became the first 36CF performance. 36CF released their first EP, Boss Buckle, in 1995 on cassette, stylistically it was Groove/heavy metal with a bit of Rapcore. At that time the local popularity was rising quickly and the tape became a rarity. On May 13,1996, 36CF opened for Primus at Egan Center in Anchorage and this concert was particularly interesting in a few ways. This was the one of the first times 36CF performed before an audience of thousands and this was also the last show of Primus Punchbowl tour and the last show for drummer Tim Alexander before his first hiatus from Primus. 36CF were planning to relocate to Tacoma Washington in search of professional recording contracts when another tragedy struck, on June 16,1996, JD Stuart died in a car collision at age 23. This was a loss for the band because Stuarts musicianship and showmanship were a large part of the bands appeal. At that time, Brownell retired from the band and the members recruited bassist Mick Whitney. 36CF then relocated to the Seattle-Tacoma metro area, in 1997, the band released their second EP, Suffer Tree, on cassette. Later that year released their full-length debut CD, In the Skin
5. Airbourne (band) – Airbourne is an Australian hard rock band formed in Warrnambool in 2003. Mainstay members are Joel OKeeffe on lead vocals and lead guitar, his brother and they were later joined by Justin Street on bass guitar and backing vocals. David Roads was also a member until leaving the band in April 2017 - Harri Harrison was announced as his replacement. Their debut album, Runnin Wild, was released in June 2007 and it appeared on the United Kingdom Albums Chart and United States Billboard 200. By August 2013, it was certified with Silver award by BPI, No Glory. was issued in March 2010 and reached the top 20 on the ARIA Chart, top 40 in the UK and also appeared on the Billboard 200. Their third studio album Black Dog Barking was released on 21 May 2013, Airbourne formed as a hard rock band in late 2003 in the Victorian country town of Warrnambool by Joel OKeeffe and his younger brother Ryan. Joel had played guitar since the age of 11 and Ryan got his first drum kit four years also at the age of 11. Joel met David Roads when the two worked at the Hotel Warrnambool, the pair brought their guitars to work and, after their shifts, jammed on song ideas, Roads was asked to join the O’Keeffe brothers on rhythm guitar for rehearsals at their house. By late 2003, Adam Jacobson had joined on bass guitar, in March 2004 the four-piece won a statewide band competition, Push-On, in Melbourne. Their early material was influenced by Australian rock bands AC/DC, The Angels, Billy Thorpe and they recorded an eight-track extended play, Ready to Rock, which appeared in July 2004 as an independent self-funded release. By that time Jacobson was replaced by Justin Street on bass guitar – Ryan had met Street while stumbling home drunk from a party one night, in early 2005, the band relocated to Melbourne and in August, they signed a five album record deal with Capitol Records. The group have supported Mötley Crüe, Motörhead, Iron Maiden and The Rolling Stones, in 2006 Airbourne travelled to the United States to begin work on their first studio album, Runnin Wild, with producer Bob Marlette. Runnin Wild was released in Australia on 23 June 2007. Three singles were issued from the album, Runnin Wild, Too Much, Too Young, Too Fast, a track on Guitar Hero World Tour. In February, Capitol Records cancelled their contract with Airbourne, in June, the band signed with Roadrunner Records for international distribution. The album peaked in the top 30 on the ARIA Albums Chart in Australia, top 40 on New Zealands RIANZ Albums Chart and appeared on charts in Austria, Switzerland, during late 2007, the group toured the United States supporting Kid Rock and Korn. Runnin Wild was issued in North America, Europe and Japan in January 2008, the album reached the Top 100 on the UK Albums Chart and appeared on the Billboard 200. In September 2007, they issued a live extended play. It doesn’t matter who you are, you are going to get compared to somebody, to be compared to the best rock and roll band in the business, who are still going today and are about to release another album, there is no higher compliment
6. Alter Bridge – Alter Bridge is an American rock band from Orlando, Florida, formed in 2004. Since its formation, the band has consisted of lead vocalist and guitarist Myles Kennedy, lead guitarist and backing vocalist Mark Tremonti, bassist Brian Marshall, the band is known for its acclaimed live shows and extensive touring. Following Creeds disbandment in 2004, former members Tremonti, Marshall, named after a bridge that once existed on Alter Road near Tremontis former home in Detroit, Michigan, Alter Bridge released its debut album, One Day Remains, the same year. Despite mixed reviews, One Day Remains went on to be certified Gold by the RIAA, driven by the release of the single Rise Today, the band released its second album, Blackbird, to more positive reviews in 2007, embarking on a successful world tour in support. The album marked the beginning of a collaboration with producer Michael Baskette. The band embarked on a tour in support of AB III from 2010 to 2012. Alter Bridge reconvened in early 2013 and released its album, Fortress, to further acclaim later that year, also embarking on a world tour. After releasing two albums, Marshall left the band in 2000, followed by the release of their third album in 2001. The band went inactive in 2003 following the conclusion of a controversial tour and that year, Tremonti began writing new material with plans of forming a new band with Phillips and Marshall. Being fans of Myles Kennedys former band, The Mayfield Four and they named the new band Alter Bridge, after an actual bridge near Tremontis home on Alter Road in Detroit, and subsequently began recording their debut album. Citing creative differences and increasing tension between Stapp and the band members, Creed announced its breakup in June 2004. Coinciding with this announcement was the one of Alter Bridges formation and of their debut album, the band members felt as if Creed had run their course and were determined to focus on their future with their new singer. Alter Bridges debut album, One Day Remains, was released on August 10,2004 by Wind-up Records, produced by Ben Grosse, the album sold 750,000 copies worldwide and achieved only gold status, a far cry from the multi-platinum success that Creed had previously achieved. It peaked at No.5 on the Billboard charts for fourteen weeks, after Open Your Eyes, two more singles were released from the album, Find the Real and Broken Wings. The music was composed completely by Tremonti, who had written most of the lyrics by himself. Several songs from One Day Remains established an affiliation with WWE, most notably, Metalingus was adopted by former WWE superstar Edge as his entrance theme in 2004, and it was used as such until his retirement in 2011. Alter Bridge would later appear with Edge in a segment on an episode of WWE Raw in 2005. An edited version of the song, Open Your Eyes, is featured in the videogame Madden NFL2005, also in 2005, Alter Bridge released a rare instrumental song called Ahavo Rabo Taco Salad for Total Guitar magazine
7. Atreyu – Atreyu is an American metalcore band from Orange County, California, formed in 1998. The band consists of vocalist Alex Varkatzas, lead guitarist Dan Jacobs, rhythm guitarist Travis Miguel, bassist Porter McKnight, the name change came because of a change of members and progressive musical styling. In 1998, Atreyu released an independent seven-track EP titled Visions, the album was sold at their live performances. Atreyu signed with Victory Records in 2001, and their most critically acclaimed works would be to come from these releases, in 2001, Atreyu signed with Victory Records, later releasing in 2002 their first full-length album Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses. The band also introduced a singer, Brandon Saller, the drummer. However, for Suicide Notes and Butterfly Kisses, his parts were largely confined to choruses, Music videos were filmed for the singles Aint Love Grand and Lip Gloss and Black. The latter video found significant airplay on Headbangers Ball and Uranium in fall of 2003, the bands second album, The Curse, was released in 2004, selling 450,000 copies. The band was featured on the soundtrack to the film Mr. Atreyu was also featured on the soundtrack to Underworld, Evolution with Her Portrait in Black, right Side of the Bed also appeared on the Burnout 3 soundtrack, a racing video game. Atreyu released its third album, A Death-Grip On Yesterday. The album peaked at number 9 on the Billboard 200, with sales of 69,000, the band gained further fame when the first single, becoming the bull appeared on the soundtrack to Madden NFL07. The album was said to have a balance of Brandon Sallers melodic singing vocals and Varkatzass aggressive screaming, in early 2007, Atreyu signed a record deal with Hollywood Records for America and an international deal with Roadrunner Records. With a new label, the band began to prepare its fourth studio album, a jigsaw puzzle was released on the bands website, as the goal was to put all the audio clips of the single Becoming the Bull into correct order, forming the whole song. Lead Sails Paper Anchor was released on August 28,2007, the American release of the album had a bonus track, a cover of the song Epic by Faith No More while the European and Australian bonus track was a cover of Clean Sheets by The Descendents. The album was received mixed reviews, and was a notable change in sound for the band. Atreyu toured in the United States on the Taste of Chaos 2008 tour, alongside such as Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for My Valentine, DespairsRay, Mucc. The band also toured with co-headliners Avenged Sevenfold and Bullet for My Valentine in Australia and they also played the United Kingdom Taste of Chaos tour, headlining with Story of the Year and As I Lay Dying. On April 22,2008, Lead Sails Paper Anchor was re-released with new cover art, from July to August 2008, Atreyu headlined the Revolution Stage of Linkin Parks Projekt Revolution
8. Atrocity (band) – Atrocity is a German heavy metal band from Ludwigsburg that formed in 1985. Their second album, Todessehnsucht, ventured into death metal classics with a cover of Archangel by the band Death and their musical scope broadened over the years, incorporating medieval and horror influences on their 1994 Dracula-based concept album Atrocitys Blut. Atrocitys Blut was followed by Calling the Rain, an MCD with female vocals by guest singer Yasmin Krull, the 1996 release Willenskraft introduced industrial elements, with the special bonus CD of the albums special edition including electronic remixes of the songs. The later releases were less and less metallic, Werk 80 featured versions of 1980s disco hits, unusual MCD-releases and experimental songs like Lili Marlene covers estranged many of their original metal fans. After 2000, nothing had been heard from Atrocity and seemed to have disbanded, however, they returned after four years with a new concept album, Atlantis, centered on the myths of the sunken continent of Atlantis. The album also features the vocals of Alexanders wife, Liv-Kristine Espanaes Krull, the band members also formed the atmospheric metal band Leaves Eyes, which features Liv Kristine as lead singer. The release of the eleventh album After the Storm in 2010 started a new era for the band in the Ethno Metal genre, Yasmin Krull returned a second time as guest singer and instrumentalist for the project. On 11 November 2007, Atrocity announced that bassist Chris Lukhaup was leaving the band for personal reasons, seven Antonopolous was named as the new drummer in late October 2008
9. Boiler Room (band) – Boiler Room was a nu metal band who formed in 1996. The band broke through on radio following an opening slot for Orgy in 1999. Original guitarist Joey Barracato played on their first self-titled 1996 CD and played the first couple years of gigs, opening for such as Type O Negative, Life of Agony. The next year Boiler Room signed to Roadrunner Records, which was slated to release their album, Cant Breathe. The record, however, failed to come out after several delays, Cant Breathe was finally issued in November of the same year, only for Tommy Boy to drop the band once their short term contract expired. With no label, Boiler Room broke up in the summer of 2001, the song Do It Again did however appear on an MTV compilation disc titled Return Of The Rock that was released on June 13,2000. We All Bleed Cant Breathe Roadrunner Records / Tommy Boy Records01, no Reason Do It Again Roadrunner Records / Tommy Boy Records01