Category:Song recordings produced by Kanye West
Pages in category "Song recordings produced by Kanye West"
The following 132 pages are in this category, out of 132 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 132 pages are in this category, out of 132 total, this list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Rapping – The components of rapping include content, flow, and delivery. Rap differs from spoken-word poetry in that rap is performed in time to a beat. Rapping is often associated with and an ingredient of hip-hop music. Rapping is also used in Kwaito music, a genre originated in Johannesburg, South Africa. Another form of rap that predates hip hop was boxer Muhammad Alis rhythmic poetry used to taunt his opponents in the 1960s and 1970s, rapping can be delivered over a beat, typically provided by a DJ, turntablist or Beatboxer, or without accompaniment. Stylistically, rap occupies an area between speech, prose, poetry, and singing. The word, as used to describe quick speech or repartee, the word had been used in British English since the 16th century. It was part of the African American dialect of English in the 1960s meaning to converse, today, the terms rap and rapping are so closely associated with hip-hop music that many writers use the terms interchangeably. The English verb rap has various meanings, such as to strike, especially with a quick, smart, or light blow, as well to utter sharply or vigorously, to rap out a command. The Shorter Oxford English Dictionary gives a date of 1541 for the first recorded use of the word with the meaning to utter sharply, vigorously and it is these meanings from which the musical form of rapping derives, and this definition may be from a shortening of repartee. A rapper refers to a performer who raps, by the late 1960s, when Hubert G. Brown changed his name to H. Rap was used to describe talking on records as early as 1971, on Isaac Hayes album Black Moses with track names such as Ikes Rap, Ikes Rap II, Ikes Rap III, Hayes husky-voiced sexy spoken raps became key components in his signature sound. Del the Funky Homosapien similarly states that rap was used to refer to talking in a manner in the early 1970s. Back then what rapping meant, basically, was you trying to convey something—youre trying to convince somebody, thats what rapping is, its in the way you talk. Rapping can be traced back to its African roots, centuries before hip-hop music existed, the griots of West Africa were delivering stories rhythmically, over drums and sparse instrumentation. Such connections have been acknowledged by modern artists, modern day griots, spoken word artists, mainstream news sources. Grammy-winning blues musician/historian Elijah Wald and others have argued that the blues were being rapped as early as the 1920s, Wald went so far as to call hip hop the living blues. A notable recorded example of rapping in blues music was the 1950 song Gotta Let You Go by Joe Hill Louis, not just jazz music and lyrics but also jazz poetryRapping – The Memphis Jug Band, an early blues group, whose lyrical content and rhythmic singing predated rapping.
2. Record producer – A record producer or music producer oversees and manages the sound recording and production of a band or performers music, which may range from recording one song to recording a lengthy concept album. A producer has many roles during the recording process, the roles of a producer vary. The producer may perform these roles himself, or help select the engineer, the producer may also pay session musicians and engineers and ensure that the entire project is completed within the record companies budget. A record producer or music producer has a broad role in overseeing and managing the recording. Producers also often take on an entrepreneurial role, with responsibility for the budget, schedules, contracts. In the 2010s, the industry has two kinds of producers with different roles, executive producer and music producer. Executive producers oversee project finances while music producers oversee the process of recording songs or albums. In most cases the producer is also a competent arranger, composer. The producer will also liaise with the engineer who concentrates on the technical aspects of recording. Noted producer Phil Ek described his role as the person who creatively guides or directs the process of making a record, indeed, in Bollywood music, the designation actually is music director. The music producers job is to create, shape, and mold a piece of music, at the beginning of record industry, producer role was technically limited to record, in one shot, artists performing live. The role of producers changed progressively over the 1950s and 1960s due to technological developments, the development of multitrack recording caused a major change in the recording process. Before multitracking, all the elements of a song had to be performed simultaneously, all of these singers and musicians had to be assembled in a large studio and the performance had to be recorded. As well, for a song that used 20 instruments, it was no longer necessary to get all the players in the studio at the same time. Examples include the rock sound effects of the 1960s, e. g. playing back the sound of recorded instruments backwards or clanging the tape to produce unique sound effects. These new instruments were electric or electronic, and thus they used instrument amplifiers, new technologies like multitracking changed the goal of recording, A producer could blend together multiple takes and edit together different sections to create the desired sound. For example, in jazz fusion Bandleader-composer Miles Davis album Bitches Brew, producers like Phil Spector and George Martin were soon creating recordings that were, in practical terms, almost impossible to realise in live performance. Producers became creative figures in the studio, other examples of such engineers includes Joe Meek, Teo Macero, Brian Wilson, and BidduRecord producer – Alan Parsons in an ESO 50th anniversary video.
3. Kanye West – Kanye Omari West is an American rapper, songwriter, record producer, fashion designer, and entrepreneur. Intent on pursuing a career as a rapper, West released his debut album The College Dropout in 2004 to widespread critical and commercial success. He went on to pursue a variety of different styles on subsequent albums Late Registration, Graduation, and 808s & Heartbreak. In 2010, he released his fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy to rave reviews from critics, West released his abrasive sixth album, Yeezus, to further critical praise in 2013. His seventh album, The Life of Pablo, was released in 2016, Wests outspoken views and life outside of music have received significant mainstream attention. He has been a frequent source of controversy for his conduct at award shows, on social media and he is the founder and head of the creative content company DONDA. His 2014 marriage to television personality Kim Kardashian has also been subject to media coverage. He has won a total of 21 Grammy Awards, making him one of the most awarded artists of all time, three of his albums have been included and ranked on Rolling Stones 2012 update of the 500 Greatest Albums of All Time list. He has also included in a number of Forbes annual lists. Time named him one of the 100 most influential people in the world in 2005 and 2015, West was born on June 8,1977 in Atlanta, Georgia. His parents divorced when he was three years old, after the divorce, he and his mother moved to Chicago, Illinois. His father, Ray West, is a former Black Panther and was one of the first black photojournalists at The Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Ray West was later a Christian counselor, and in 2006, opened the Good Water Store and Café in Lexington Park, Maryland with startup capital from his son. West, was a professor of English at Clark Atlanta University, West was raised in a middle-class background, attending Polaris High School in suburban Oak Lawn, Illinois after living in Chicago. At the age of 10, West moved with his mother to Nanjing, China, according to his mother, West was the only foreigner in his class, but settled in well and quickly picked up the language, although he has since forgotten most of it. When asked about his grades in school, West replied, I got As. West demonstrated an affinity for the arts at an early age and his mother recalled that she first took notice of Wests passion for drawing and music when he was in the third grade. Growing up in Chicago, West became deeply involved in its hip hop scene and he started rapping in the third grade and began making musical compositions in the seventh grade, eventually selling them to other artistsKanye West – West performing at Lollapalooza in 2011
4. All Day (Kanye West song) – All Day is a single by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West. The song features Theophilus London, Allan Kingdom, and Paul McCartney and was produced by West, Puff Daddy, French Montana, Velous, initially leaked in August 2014, it was released on March 2nd,2015 as a non-album single. All Day contains an interpolation from Dance with Me by Jamaican singer Noel Ellis and it received nominations for Best Rap Song and Best Rap Performance at the 58th Grammy Awards. The track originally leaked in August 2014, but Kanye continued to work on the track on, the track was debuted live at the 2015 Brit Awards on February 26,2015. Rolling Stone provided the first official stream of the track, the track was produced by upcoming producer Velous, who made the skeleton of the instrumental on a friends couch while watching Saturday Night Live. All Day featured McCartneys acoustic guitar playing, whistling and singing of the last verse and this song was the third McCartney/West collaboration to be commercially released. When All Day debuted at number 18 in the UK, it became Wests second top-20 single of 2015, additionally, these songs became his first US top-20 singles since 2013s Bound 2. In the United States, it debuted at number 15 on the Hot 100 and it was certified Gold in the US on 28 July 2015. The entourage held flamethrowers and wore all black, West was confirmed to perform last minute, the day before the awards took place. He also performed the song at the 2015 NBA Playoffs, West performed the track at Glastonbury with a sample of the Noel Ellis track Dance With Me used as the outroAll Day (Kanye West song) – "All Day"
5. All Falls Down – All Falls Down is a song by American hip hop artist Kanye West. It was released as the single from his debut album. The song was produced by West and features singer Syleena Johnson and it was released in February 2004 and entered the UK Singles Chart at number ten and peaked at number seven on the US Billboard Hot 100 on May 11,2004, his first Top 10 in the USA. The song was nominated for Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 47th Grammy Awards, the song features an interpolation of Lauryn Hills Mystery of Iniquity. Kanye originally attempted to acquire legal clearance to sample the recording but due to various complications, West then called upon Syleena Johnson to re-sing the relevant vocal portions of Mystery of Iniquity which ended up in the final track. The version of the song with the sample can be heard on Wests Freshman Adjustment mixtape. Lyrically, All Falls Down examines the self-consciousness and insecurity within society, particularly the black community, the music video for All Falls Down was directed by Chris Milk and shot at Ontario International Airport in Ontario, California. It follows Kanye as he accompanies his girlfriend, played by Stacey Dash, the music video is shot in first-person perspective, displaying the journey from their car to the airport terminal through Wests eyes. The video also features cameos by Syleena Johnson, Common, and Kel Mitchell, who act as a counter, gate agent. In addition, rappers GLC and Consequence can also be seen as Kanye is running through the airport in slow motionAll Falls Down – "All Falls Down"
6. All of the Lights – All of the Lights is a song by American rapper Kanye West, as the fourth single from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. All of the Lights was well received by critics, who complimented its detailed production. It won Grammy Awards for Best Rap Song and Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 54th Grammy Awards, as of December 2011, the song has sold over 1,561,000 digital units in the US. By August 2013, it had been certified platinum by the RIAA. The songs accompanying video, directed by Hype Williams, featured strobe-lit images of Rihanna and West. It was given a warning by Epilepsy Action, stating that the video potentially trigger seizures for people with photosensitive epilepsy. All of the Lights was written by Kanye West, Jeff Bhasker, Malik Jones and its production was helmed by West himself and co-produced by Bhasker. West and Rihanna previously collaborated with Jay-Z on Run This Town, even though not fully leaked, All of the Lights was featured for the first time on Runaway—a 35-minute film about Wests true labor of love which was released on October 19,2010. The song was featured in the film together with songs from Wests then-upcoming fifth studio album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, including Monster, Power. The song fully leaked on November 4,2010, online, during the 2010 MTV Europe Music Awards, on November 10,2010, Rihanna was interviewed by MTV News staff. In the interview she explained that, West already played his album to her three months ago and that All of the Lights was one of her favorite songs. About it, she commented, So when he asked me to come up to the studio at 2 oclock in the morning, I had to, because I loved it. Andrew Dawson, Anthony Kilhoffer, Mike Dean, HI and Noah Goldstein recorded Wests vocals at Avex Recording Studios in Honolulu, Hawaii, rihannas vocals were recorded by Marcos Tovar at the Westlake Recording Studios in West Hollywood, California. The song was released as fourth and final single from My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and it was sent to British urban radio stations on November 25,2010, and to Australian contemporary hit and alternative radio stations on December 13. On January 18,2011, the song was sent to contemporary hit, on February 19,2011, All of the Lights was solicited to mainstream radio stations in the United Kingdom. All of the Lights is a hip hop song that runs for 4 minutes and 59 seconds, according to the sheet music published by Universal Music Publishing Group at Musicnotes. com, it was composed in the key of B flat minor using common time and a steady groove. Rihannas vocal range spans from the low note of Ab3 to the note of F5. Instrumentation is provided by a brass, drum and bass, piano, the piano is played by Elton John, who also together with thirteen other vocalists provides the background vocalsAll of the Lights – Fourteen artists lent their voices as background vocals on "All of the Lights" including Rihanna (pictured) who also sang the song's hook.
7. Amazing (Kanye West song) – Amazing is a song by American hip hop artist Kanye West, released as the third single for his fourth studio album, 808s & Heartbreak. Co-produced with Victor Alexander, the song features hip hop artist Young Jeezy and contains vocals provided by Mr Hudson. This song was used in the NBA during the 2009 Playoffs, UFC Fighter Frank Mir walks out to this song before his fights. The song was nominated at the 52nd Grammy Awards in the Best Rap Performance By a Duo or Group category, the song also marks the second collaboration with Kanye West and Young Jeezy, the first being Young Jeezys 2008 single Put On. The song also marks the two rappers second time to do a song to be nominated for a Grammy award, co-writer Jeff Bhasker discussed the songs conception, That was actually the first song I brought the beat and the music. I started the idea and was like, Thats hot, so I brought that music and he brought his editorial to it and then wrote the melody, and said were gonna get Jeezy on it. We were searching for sort of a drum sounds and that just came out. Its a very simple and dark sounding piano figure, Amazing was sent to Rhythmic/Urban radio only, while Paranoid was sent to Top 40 radio. Prior to becoming a single, Amazing debuted at eighty-nine on the Billboard Hot 100 following the release of 808s & Heartbreak. Amazing was used by the NBA during the 2009 playoffs as part of their advertisement campaign and was used in a commercial for the video game. The CTV Television Network used the song to promote its Fall 2013 season, along with See You in My Nightmares, Amazing charted without actually being released as a single following the debut of 808s & Heartbreak. In the United States, the song entered at number eighty-nine on the Billboard Hot 100, although the song relapsed the following weeks, it re-entered the Billboard Hot 100 to peak at number eighty-one on May 14,2009. After being released onto urban radio, Amazing entered the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs at number ninety-six for the date of March 28. The song moved up four spaces the week to reach number ninety-two. That same week, Amazing entered and peaked at number twenty-two on Hot Rap Tracks for the issue dated April 11, the following week, the song climbed again to reach the seventy-fourth position. Amazing peaked at number sixty-five on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart for the date of April 18. On June 12, Amazing debuted on the Swedish Singles Chart at number forty-two, the music video for Amazing was filmed in Kauai, Hawaii and directed by Hype Williams. On April 13,2009, West posted stills from the video on his blogAmazing (Kanye West song) – "Amazing"
8. American Oxygen – American Oxygen is a song recorded by Barbadian singer Rihanna. It was written by Alex da Kid, Candice Pillay, Sam Harris and Rihanna, Alex da Kid, written over the course of a year, American Oxygen was inspired by the 1984 single Born in the U. S. A. performed by Bruce Springsteen. It was made available for streaming on Tidal on April 5,2015, the song has patriotic lyrical content about a new America and the chasing of the American dream. Darren Craig, Jonathan Craven and Jeff Nicholas of the Uprising Creative directed the video for American Oxygen. It depicts numerous moments from American history while Rihanna sings in front of a large American flag, Rihanna performed American Oxygen for the first time at the Final Four of the 2015 NCAA Mens Division I Basketball Tournament in Indianapolis. American Oxygen was written by Alex da Kid, Sam Harris, Candice Pillay, the production was done by Alex da Kid and the American rapper Kanye West. The writing of the began in 2014, and it continued over a course of one year. Originally, Alex da Kid sent the beats of the song to Harris who started writing some lyrics. It goes to show you that sometimes these songs just appear out of nowhere and sometimes you just have to go at it like a block of marble and youre chipping away at it. Harris explained how he and Alex da Kid wanted the chorus of the song to say a lot, when they got the final chorus, the producer started to look for potential performers of the song. When the song came across Rihanna, she and Alex da Kid began to adjust the song and that was her idea, really, hers and Alexs, to turn it into that kind of song. Harris stated that the inspiration for starting to write American Oxygen was the 1984 single Born in the U. S. A. by Bruce Springsteen, according to Harris, He gets that theres pride to living here in this country. This country is great and has the potential to be something really, really incredible, and if you can do that in a song, thats the best. It really was made so much more powerful by what she contributed to the songwriting, I idolize her, and to have been given the opportunity to work with her is amazing. American Oxygen was first featured on commercials which promoted the 2015 NCAA Mens Division I Basketball Tournament. Later, the song was available for streaming on April 5,2015, via Tidal. On April 14, American Oxygen was made available for download worldwide via the iTunes Store. In Canada and the United States it was released two later, on April 16American Oxygen – Numerous important moments in American history are shown throughout the video including the inauguration of the first ever black president, Barack Obama
9. Barry Bonds (song) – Graduation is the third studio album by American hip hop recording artist and record producer Kanye West. It was released on September 11,2007, by Roc-A-Fella Records, Recording sessions for the album took place during 2005 to 2007 at Chung King Studios, Sony Music Studios in New York City, at Chalice Studios and The Record Plant in Los Angeles. It was primarily produced by West himself, with contributions from DJ Toomp, as well as Mike Dean, Nottz, Brian All Day Miller, Eric Hudson, Warryn Campbell, Gee Roberson, Plain Pat and Jon Brion. It features guest contributions from artists, including Mos Def, Dwele, T-Pain, Lil Wayne, DJ Premier, the albums cover artwork was designed by Japanese contemporary artist Takashi Murakami. Toward this end, West incorporated synthesizer sounds into his production and dabbled with electronic music, lyrically, the album is more introspective in comparison to its predecessors, as West dedicated much of Graduation towards analyzing himself and conveying his ambivalent outlook on his newfound fame. It continues the theme of Wests previous two studio albums, The College Dropout and Late Registration. The album debuted at one on the US Billboard 200. It produced five singles, including the international hits Cant Tell Me Nothing, Stronger, the outcome of the competition marks a turning point in hip-hop culture, when the dominance of gangsta rap in mainstream hip-hop was brought to an end. Graduation received positive reviews from most critics and earned West several accolades, the album has sold 2,700,000 copies in the US and has been certified double platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America. The album demonstrates yet another distinctive progression in Wests musical style, Kanye West was particularly influenced by house music, a subgenre of electronic dance music that first originated in his hometown of Chicago, Illinois in the early 1980s. West has stated growing up, he would listen to hip-hop music at home or in his car. While he rarely listened to house at home, he felt it was an important part of his culture. Along with house music, Graduation contains samples and music elements of euro-disco, hard rock, electronica, lounge, progressive rock, synth-pop, electro, krautrock, dub, reggae, and dancehall. Also, for much of the studio album, Kanye West modified his style of rapping and adopted a dilatory. West altered his vocabulary, he utilized less of the percussive, rhythmic consonants in favor of the more smoother, in addition to U2, West drew inspiration from other arena rock bands such as The Rolling Stones and Led Zeppelin for the melodies and chord progressions of his songs. He also chose to back on the guest appearances, limiting himself to just one single guest rap verse on the entire studio album. Largely due to all this and the inclusion of the layered electronic synthesizers, but he also acknowledged the fact that the differences did not right away and without a doubt make Graduation a good album. However, he felt it was a representation of the music he was listening to at that time, Kanye West began working on Graduation immediately after releasing his second studio album Late RegistrationBarry Bonds (song) – Graduation
10. Bitch Better Have My Money – Bitch Better Have My Money is a song recorded by Barbadian singer Rihanna. The song was released on March 26,2015, through the iTunes Store. Bitch Better Have My Money is a song and represents a notable musical departure from the previous single. Upon release critics gave the mixed reviews, finding the song catchy and ready to be played in clubs. Bitch Better Have My Money reached the top-10 in eight countries, including New Zealand and France, as well as the top-20 in six countries including the Canada, United States. To promote the song Rihanna performed at the 2nd iHeartRadio Music Awards on March 29,2015, an accompanying music video was released on July 2,2015. Bitch Better Have My Money was written by Jamille Pierre, Bibi Bourelly, Rihanna, Travis Scott, Kanye West and Ebony WondaGurl Oshunrinde and produced by Deputy, Scott, West, the song was conceived in producer Deputys apartment and consisted of a simple beat. Development continued when the producer had a session with writer Bibi Bourelly, the first lyric of her freestyle was bitch better have my money which later became the title of the completed song. Following the completion of the song, Deputy believed that Rihanna would be the artist for it and we was trying to figure out who could do it because Bibi killed it. Not anyone could just sing this record, after a certain period of time, Bourelly had a recording session with both West and Rihanna, it was the first time they heard the track and they both reacted positively to it. When they finally got a hold on the song, some changes were made to it and they were done by Scott, WondaGurl and West, all of them added an additional part by the end of the song. When Deputy was asked whether he was bothered by the adjustments that were made, he responded, I didn’t have any negative feelings to it. Rih loved it and it was really about what she wants, Bitch Better Have My Money is a trap song with a length of three minutes and thirty-nine seconds. According to Jim Farber of New York Daily News the song is reminiscent of the works by West, particularly the half-sang, to deliver the vocals, she uses her Caribbean accent. Farber also called the song shadowy and repetitive and according to him results in being more a riff than a full song, billboards Jason Lipshutz found the song similar to Rihannas 2013 single Pour It Up. Brittany Spanos of Rolling Stone noted that the song differs drastically from her previous 2015 single, FourFiveSeconds, similarly, Miles Raymer of Entertainment Weekly wrote that, Bitch Better Have My Money is a trap-influenced banger thats a complete 180° difference from the countryfied sound of FourFiveSeconds. Lipshutz noted that the content of the song sounded inspired by Beyoncés 2014 single Flawless. On March 25,2015, via her official Twitter account, Rihanna posted, subsequently, she posted the artwork of the song on her official Instagram accountBitch Better Have My Money – "Bitch Better Have My Money"
11. Blame Game – Blame Game is a song by American hip-hop recording artist Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The song features recording artist John Legend and was produced by West, Justin Franks, the song features a hip hop skit provided by comedian Chris Rock. It contains a sample of Avril 14th, written by Richard D. James, known primarily by his pseudonym, lyrically, the song contains Wests thoughts on past break-ups and explores themes of unrequited love, heartbreak, and spousal abuse. Midway through the song, Rock delivers a monologue as the new boyfriend of Wests past lover. Critics were generally complimentary and praised Legends vocal delivery, the appearance by Rock was widely noted as a surprising element of the song and received mixed criticism, though some critics described it as a highlight. It charted on the South Korean Gaon Chart at position 81, West and Legend performed Blame Game together on Vevo Presents GOOD Music at SXSW. The song was featured in Wests 2010 short film Runaway, West planned to produce a music video for the song featuring Amber Rose but she declined the offer of appearing and West scrapped the video. Blame Game was recorded in Oahu, Hawaii, where most of the sessions for My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy took place, West opted to work with more familiar songwriters to maintain artistic privacy and keep a low profile after several of his publicized controversies. West recorded the song with vocalist John Legend, a frequent collaborator of his since Wests 2004 debut album The College Dropout, during an appearance on Ustream, West announced that Legend was set to appear on a song from his currently upcoming album, titled Blame Game. During the announcement, West cited Blame Game as his song from the album. The song developed from Legend and Wests brainstorming, which led to several other tracks. Rapper Pusha T was erroneously reported to have provided backing vocals on the song, West asked comedian Chris Rock to appear on the song. Rock, a fan of Wests, mused that he was more happy to collaborate with West. He had previously collaborated on other hip hop songs, such as with rappers Ludacris, Ol Dirty Bastard, Rock described his collaboration with West as exciting in nature, commenting that he was always open to working on unusual ventures. In an interview with The New York Times, Rock went into detail about the composition of the song, I thank so much it probably freaks him out. Especially at this date, to get on something, the album of the moment. The song is inspired by Wests relationship with model Amber Rose. West originally met Rose in 2008, and they developed a romantic relationship, before having a dramatic break-up in 2010Blame Game – West asked comedian Chris Rock to appear on the song.
12. Bound 2 – Bound 2 is a song by American rapper Kanye West, featured as the final track from his sixth studio album, Yeezus. It was produced by West and Che Pope, with production being handled by Eric Danchick, Noah Goldstein, No ID. The song features vocals from American soul singer Charlie Wilson and serves as the second single. Bound 2 incorporates samples from Bound by Ponderosa Twins Plus One, the controversial music video features his wife Kim Kardashian West, topless, riding on a motorbike with West through various landscapes. The song peaked at number 55 on the UK Singles Chart and 12 on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart, on June 1,2013, West revealed the cover of his sixth studio album Yeezus and premiered a 13-second preview of Bound 2. It was only one of three songs that were previewed prior to the release, the others being New Slaves. Bound 2 features substantial soul music samples, which critics noted as reminiscent of Wests production style in his earlier work. The song is built around a sample taken from Bound. Lee reacted to the sampling of her song on the track, saying, As Ive said and it says a wonderful thing about Ronnie Self, who wrote the song. That 50 years after it was written, somebody in Kanyes camp knew the song and said, on February 15,2014, Hudson Mohawke played an original version of Bound 2 during a DJ set in Leeds. The earlier version features piano-driven production and a more stripped down ending compared to the album version. Rapper/Producer Tyler, The Creator revealed over Twitter that he helped produce the version along with Hudson Mohawke. Bound 2 was revealed to be the single released from Yeezus in August 2013. On September 9,2013, West appeared on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon for the first time, during his appearance, he performed Bound 2 with Charlie Wilson, The Roots and a male childrens choir. It was his first national performance of the song. The song was performed on the season premiere of Later. With Jools Holland by West and Wilson on September 17,2013, to take a more minimal approach, they were accompanied by just the songs signature Ponderosa Twins sample and a brief piano intro for the Later. Bound 2 received universal acclaim from music critics, rolling Stone described Bound 2 as maybe the most audacious song hes ever written, not to mention the most beautifulBound 2 – Soul singer Charlie Wilson appears uncredited on the song and performed it with West numerous times, upon its single release.
13. Brooklyn Go Hard – Brooklyn Go Hard is the second promo single by rap artist Jay-Z, featuring additional vocals by alternative musician Santigold. The song was produced by Kanye West and it appears on the soundtrack to The Notorious B. I. G. Biopic Notorious for which it serves as the theme song and it was released on December 1,2008, as an exclusive download available via subscription to Wire, with a portion of the profits going towards Bonos Product Red organization. In 2013, it was used in a trailer and several commercials for the Jackie Robinson biopic 42. Santigold first hinted at a collaboration in an interview with NME, saying she may also do something with Jay-Z, its kind of secret - its not for anything, its just cause we want to. The collaboration contains a sample of Santigolds track Shove It, in the vein as Jay-Z and T. I. s Swagga Like Us. However, in Brooklyn Go Hard, Santigold provides another new verse, crooked I, Fabolous, Joell Ortiz, Royce da 59, Mos Def and Sauce Money have all created freestyle raps to the song, while Raekwon has created his own version titled Staten Go Hard. The official remix to the song features Santigold, Foxy Brown, Brooklyn Go Hard initially charted at number two on Billboards Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles. The following week, it debuted on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number 62, Brooklyn Go Hard entered the Hot Rap Tracks chart at number 18Brooklyn Go Hard – "Brooklyn Go Hard"
14. Clique (song) – Clique is a song by American rappers Kanye West, Jay-Z, and Big Sean. The song serves as the single from the album Cruel Summer. The songs production was handled by Hit-Boy and West, Clique was released as a single to the iTunes Store on September 7,2012. Additional vocals on the song are provided by American R&B singer James Fauntleroy II, West debuted the song on his website on September 6,2012. The same day, DJ Funkmaster Flex gave the song a radio premiere on his Hot 97 radio show. It was released as a download to the iTunes Store the following day. The song was produced by Hit-Boy, who was signed to Wests label GOOD Music, the song contains vocal samples of American funk musician James Browns 1974 song Funky President. Big Sean said in an interview with Tim Westwood that originally, in the end all the other rappers were cut except Sean, Kanye West and Jay-Z. Jay-Zs guest verse was named the fifth best of 2012 by Complex magazine, on November 14,2012 a remix was released featuring rapper T. I. Complex magazine named the song #15 on their list of the 50 best songs of 2012, the track was ranked at #96 on the Triple J Hottest 100 of 2012. Digital download Clique –4,54 The credits for Clique are adapted from the single release. Songwriting – Kanye West, Chauncey Hollis, Sean Anderson, Shawn Carter, James Fauntleroy, Alexander Izquierdo Production – Hit-Boy, Kanye WestClique (song) – "Clique"
15. Comfortable (song) – Tha Carter III is the sixth studio album by American rapper Lil Wayne, released on June 10,2008, by Cash Money and Universal Motown. It follows a string of mixtape releases and guest appearances on other hip hop and R&B artists records. The albums cover art features a picture of Wayne and is similar to covers of hip hop albums such as Nass Illmatic. Amid release delays and leaks, Tha Carter III became one of the most anticipated releases of 2008, the album debuted at number one on the U. S. Billboard 200 chart, selling 1,005,545 copies in its first week. Upon its release, Tha Carter III received universal acclaim from critics and earned Lil Wayne several accolades. It has been certified triple-platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America and has sold 3.6 million copies in the United States. Lil Wayne stated that producers would include The Alchemist, Cool & Dre, Deezle, Jim Jonsin, Just Blaze, Kanye West, Mannie Fresh, The Runners, Timbaland, Danja, and will. i. am. In an interview with HipHopCanada. com, Solitair of the Black Jays stated that he and Cipha Sounds produced a track called Outstanding, the Runners have stated that they have produced three tracks for Tha Carter III. Lil Wayne revealed that he has a track for Eminem, which he has yet to send to him and he described this song as the craziest. Some believe that his request was turned down, but it most likely turned into Drop the World on his 2010 album Rebirth. The album features guest appearances by Fabolous, T-Pain, Brisco, Bobby V, Babyface, Betty Wright, Static Major, Robin Thicke, Jay-Z, Juelz Santana, and Busta Rhymes. MTV reported that Wyclef Jean worked on a couple of tracks for the album and that a song featuring Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, however, that Timbaland-produced track did not make the final cut. David Banner confirmed that he will be credited for five tracks on the cut of Tha Carter III. After the copyright controversy of Playing with Fire, the track was removed and replaced with another David Banner-produced track Pussy Monster. Swizz Beatz stated he was working on the album. When asked about how many tracks Kanye West had contributed, he answered, On the first visit he had five joints, I then told him to slow down and he left me alone, but we got a good three on the album. He confirmed that he had a few tracks on The Leak that are produced by Kanye West, Tha Carter IIIs lead single, Lollipop, peaked at number one on the US Billboard Hot 100, staying at the top for three weeks. It was Waynes most successful single in his career, winning one Grammy Award, a BET AwardComfortable (song) – Tha Carter III
16. The Corner (song) – The Corner is the second single released by rapper Common on his sixth album, Be. It features a chorus and production by Kanye West as well as spoken word lyrics by The Last Poets, the songs lyrics deal with street corners in poor neighborhoods. The songs beat samples from You Make the Sun Shine by The Temprees. Because of the gritty sound, some fans considered it to be a return to Commons Resurrection days. A music video directed by Kanye West was made for The Corner, the Corner attained some commercial success reaching #42 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks chart, but was even more popular among critics. Amongst other accolades, it was nominated as the Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group at the 48th Grammy Awards. Spence D. of IGN. com explains the basis for its success writing, In addition, pitchfork Medias Tom Breihan considers the beat to be dusty and heavenly. Steve Juon of RapReviews. com claims Commons lyrics to contain profound observations of life that show why hip hop is the black mans CNN. Common understands that critics consider The Corner to be a return from his Electric Circus style, as he says on They Say from his 2005 album Be, They say the crochet pants and the sweater was wack/Seen The Corner, now they say that niggas back. The official remix featuring Kanye West, The Last Poets, Scarface, Mos Def and it was also released by Common as a single. This song was covered with heavily-revised lyrics by Clipse on their We Got It 4 Cheap, the Corner The Corner The Corner The Corner The Corner The Corner List of Common songsThe Corner (song) – "The Corner"
17. Dark Fantasy (song) – Dark Fantasy is a song by American hip hop recording artist and producer Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The song serves as the track of the album, and was written by West, Ernest Wilson, Jeff Bhasker, Mike Dean. It features a narrative delivered by rapper Nicki Minaj, and singers Teyana Taylor and Justin Vernon contribute to the songs hook. The track is built around a sample of In High Places by Mike Oldfield, the song introduces several of the themes presented on the album and features numerous pop culture references, a gospel-inspired production style, and piano-driven composition. The song received acclaim from critics, who praised the song as a strong opener to My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, complimenting Wests vocal delivery. Despite not being released as a single, the hype generated by the release of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy caused the song to enter the Billboard Hot 100 at position 60. It was the song of Wests 2011 setlist at the Coachella Music Festival. Dark Fantasy was utilized during the sequence of Wests short film Runaway. Like the majority of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, the song was recorded in Oahu, following several media controversies, West decided to record his next album in a reclusive manner only working with artists he considered himself familiar with. Justin Vernon of the group Bon Iver appears on backing vocals of the track and is the first voice heard on the album, West was a fan of Bon Ivers album For Emma, Forever Ago and invited him down to Hawaii to record with him. While working there, the two friends and reportedly produced 10 songs during their sessions together. Vernon described the process as highly artistic in nature, stating that the day recording schedule allowed for a lot of fun. The song features production by RZA of the hip-hop group Wu-Tang Clan, according to him, West had a stack of beats and that he tried to be as productive as possible with so much material already recorded. The style of composition is influenced by producer RZA, who introduces his bring-the-ruckus aesthetic to the song production. Nicki Minaj was asked to open the song with a spoken introduction, a favor she was excited to perform because she was a fan of Jay-Z. Minaj described both Jay-Z and West as icons, and stated that she was blessed to be working with them. Producer No I. D. spoke about the history of the beat, according to him, producers RZA and Pete Rock had already recorded certain portions of the song, and that him and West recorded the chorus parts. Following that, he mused then Nicki did the intro and it went crazyDark Fantasy (song) – "Dark Fantasy" was partly produced by RZA of the Wu-Tang Clan, who brought his brooding production style to the track.
18. Devil in a New Dress – Devil in a New Dress is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. Originally released through Wests GOOD Friday initiative, a free music giveaway started by the rapper to promote My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. It later appeared on the album with a guitar solo by producer Mike Dean. Devil in a New Dress was produced by Bink and it was the only song in the album not to be produced by West, who wrote it alongside Bink. The song samples Smokey Robinsons quiet storm recording Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow, both the topics of love and religion serve as the main inspiration to the song. The song received acclaim from critics, who praised the delivery of Wests verse, the lush production. It has been remixed by several musicians, such as J. Cole, Jay Electronica, Ross promoted the song releasing a music video in which he showcased his verse. The song was featured in Wests short film Runaway during a dinner room sequence. It charted on the South Korean Gaon Chart at position 99, Devil in a New Dress was first released on September 3,2010, and was the fourth song to be featured apart of Kanye Wests GOOD Fridays, a music giveaway that provided free MP3 downloads every week. Though it was the fourth GOOD Fridays song released, it was the second original track premiered. Compared to his other recent joints, the track is rather minimal in nature and it clocks in at less than three minutes and features no guest contributors. In fact, it’s the accompanying beat which makes the post-midnight release worth our time. The song was rumored to be featured on Wests new album. It was later confirmed to appear on the album, albeit as a different version. It was released following the release of the album. Following some media controversies, West chose to record the majority of his fifth studio My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in a manner in Oahu. Like the majority of the album, Devil in a New Dress was composed there. Rapper Rick Ross was invited to Hawaii to work with West, because West was set to produce the song Live Fast, Die Young, which appeared on Teflon Don, an album by RossDevil in a New Dress – "Devil in a New Dress"
19. Diamonds from Sierra Leone – Diamonds from Sierra Leone is a Grammy-winning song by American hip-hop artist Kanye West. It was released on July 4,2005, as the single of his second studio album. The song contains a sample of the song for the 1971 James Bond film. Bassey was reported to be impressed with Kanyes performance and stated that she wished to work with him in the future. The song peaked at number 43 on the Billboard Hot 100, was successful on the iTunes music service. It won a Grammy Award for Best Rap Song at the 48th Grammy Awards and he initiates the remix by proclaiming, Good Morning. Still, people lose hands, legs, arms for real and it was originally entitled, Diamonds Are Forever but because Jay had a song on The Blueprint², The Gift & the Curse called Diamond Is Forever, Kanye had it changed. Diamonds from Sierra Leone remains a favorite and is one of Wests most performed songs. It boasts a chorus that calls for listeners to Throw your diamonds in the sky, referring to the Roc-A-Fella hand sign, the music video for Diamonds from Sierra Leone was directed by Hype Williams and shot entirely in black and white. It was filmed on location in the city of Prague, the capital of the Czech Republic, West was fascinated by the architecture found in the capital and felt its sculptures, cathedrals, and stone pavements emitted the timeless feel of Diamonds. The images are juxtaposed with scenes of wealthy Europeans shopping in boutiques, the music video ends with text that reads, Please purchase conflict-free diamonds. Information taken from Late Registration linerDiamonds from Sierra Leone – "Diamonds from Sierra Leone"
20. Dreams (Game song) – Dreams is a song by American rapper and West Coast hip hop artist The Game, from his debut album, The Documentary. It was released as the official single from the album in all territories except France. The song was produced by Kanye West and features a sample of No Money Down by soul music singer Jerry Butler, the song is dedicated to Yetunde Price, who was shot dead on September 14,2003. The Williams also came from The Games hometown of Compton, California and this references the Dr. Dre album 2001, actually released in the year 1999. The song was placed 5th on About. coms Best Hip-Hop Songs of 2005, the song debuted at #97 and peaked at #32 on the Billboard Hot 100 and at #1 on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The single was commercially successful in the United Kingdom, peaking at number 8 on the UK Singles Chart. The music video was directed by Phillip Atwell and it features cameos by R&B singer and actress Mýa and it also features Art graffiti to show memory of deceased artists. It is a mix between Dreams and A Dream, which is a track featuring The Notorious B. I. G. from Jay-Zs 2002 album The Blueprint², The Gift & the Curse. It combines a chopped and screwed version of B. I. G. s a cappella verse on A Dream with the instrumental of Dreams. There is also another OFFICIAL remix of the song with Trey Songz where The Game raps his normal 1st & 3rd verse, an unreleased version of Dreams leaked onto the internet in October 2011. It leaked labeled as Original Version, Dreams music video on YouTube Lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsDreams (Game song) – "Dreams"
21. Drive Slow – Drive Slow is a song by American rap artist Kanye West. The song was released on June 6,2006 as the fifth and final single of Wests second studio album and it contains a sample of the Hank Crawford cover version of Wildflower, a song by the Canadian pop rock band Skylark. Drive Slow features Houston rapper Paul Wall and Chicago rapper GLC, the song utilizes car culture as a metaphor to comment on peoples lifestyles. Though it received approval by music critics for its lyricism and intricate sound, the song was originally to feature M. I. A. who opted out of the appearance due to a busy schedule. Wall later included Drive Slow as the track on his international debut album The Peoples Champ. A remix for the song was released onto mixtapes and featured a verse from T. I. who later released it on the limited edition bonus disc DVD of his album. A vocal sample taken from Drive Slow was use by record producer J. R. Rotem to produce LAX Files, Drive Slow was featured on Season 3, Episode 11 What About Bob. of the HBO Series Entourage. The music video for Drive Slow was directed by Hype Williams, the video uses the remix version of the song and thus features an appearance by T. I. alongside Paul Wall and GLC. Additionally, violin strings provided by Miri Ben-Ari were applied to the slightly altered song while certain notes were lengthened, in the videos closing moment, this the best song suddenly transforms into a chopped and screwed tempo. American singer Tony Williams is also credited on the music video, the majority of automobiles featured in the video are produced by the Lincoln Motor Company. A-side Drive Slow Drive Slow Drive Slow B-side We Major We Major We Major Information taken from Late Registration liner notes. com Lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsDrive Slow – "Drive Slow"
22. Faithful (Common song) – Faithful is the fifth and final single from rapper Commons sixth album Be. It is produced by Kanye West, who samples DJ Rogers Faithful to the End for the songs beat, the sample was recreated by percussionist Ken Lewis. The song also features keyboard playing by James Poyser as well as guest vocals by John Legend, the song was not heavily promoted upon release and failed to chart. The song also samples Faith Evans song of the name on her third album Faithfully which was released in 2001. In the first verse, Common ponders how he would treat a mate if God was a her, in the second verse, he talks about a man who is tempted to cheat on his wife and confesses it. Faithful Faithful Faithful Chi-City Chi-City Chi-City List of Common songs Lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsFaithful (Common song) – "Faithful"
23. Find Your Love – Find Your Love is a song by Canadian recording artist, Drake. The song was written by Drake, Patrick Reynolds, Jeff Bhasker, and Kanye West and it serves as the second single from his debut album Thank Me Later, and was released to radio on April 28,2010, and digital download on May 5,2010. The song became a hit on June 17,2010, the midtempo song, said to be a leftover from Kanye Wests 808s & Heartbreak, received mostly positive reviews from critics. It debuted in the top forty in the United States, the songs accompanying music video chronicles Drakes fateful encounter with a gang-affiliated woman. We searched the samples and find out where his inspiration came from, because he has one of the best ears in music and he knows how to recognize great music thats not his. He knows how to utilize great sounds and great music, so before I met him, I had the utmost respect for Kanye West. Id even go as far as to say hes the most influential person, as far as a musician, that Id ever had in my life. Co-writer Jeff Bhasker discussed the conception, I think No I. D had that drum beat and thats the classic, Jeff jump on the piano. We started coming up with a melody, I started crafting the music and we wrote that relatively quickly, Find Your Love was originally written for Rihanna. In a later interview with MTV News Drake said that he felt the song should have performed by a woman, stating. And its actually a huge risk and it almost feels like the song should be performed by a woman. Im just hoping that men really hear the song and theyre honest with themselves, I know a lot of men feel that way. The song was posted on Drakes official blog on April 29,2010, Find Your Love contains a traditional soulful R&B vibe with a Jamaican beat. The song received positive reviews, with critics commending Drakes attempt at moving into the singing lane, ryan Brockington of The New York Post said the song consisted of dripping double-drum beats, 80s filtered vocals and a catchy little chorus. Jayson Rodriguez of MTV News said that the song features Drake in full crooner mode as he sings about saving his relationship, Im more than just an option, he sings over sparse drums and piano licks. Refuse to be forgotten/ I took a chance with my heart/ And I feel it taking over / I better find your loving/ I better find your heart. Andrew Martin of Prefix Magazine said that the beat sounded right off 808s and Heartbreak, clinton Yates of the Washington Post complimented the song, but said that the song lacked Drakes lyrical talent. Find Your Love was named the eighth best song of 2010 by Time, the music video was shot with Anthony Mandler, director of the Over video in Kingston, Jamaica during the week of April 12,2010, exclusively revealed to Rap-UpFind Your Love – "Find Your Love"
24. Flashing Lights (Kanye West song) – Flashing Lights is a song by American hip-hop artist Kanye West. It features Detroit R&B singer Dwele and contains vocals from Australian singer Connie Mitchell. West co-wrote and co-produced the song with Eric Hudson and released it on November 22,2007 as the single for his third studio album. The singles cover art was designed by Japanese pop artist, Takashi Murakami, the single received acclaim from music critics and is cited as one of the best songs on Graduation. The song features Detroit R&B singer Dwele on its chorus and contains vocals provided by Connie Mitchell of the Australian electronic group Sneaky Sound System. The collaboration came about when Kanye met Mitchells bandmates Angus McDonald and Daimon Downey at a diner in Sydney, seeking musical inspiration, West asked McDonald for ideas, who in turn suggested that he be introduced to Mitchell. After their meeting, West asked Mitchell to record vocals for the song, Mitchell later admitted that while she previously didnt know who West was and never really cared for hip-hop, the collaboration had changed her views. As a result of its popularity, Flashing Lights was utilized by media outlets. In December 2007, the song was used in an ad campaign for French vodka Cîroc and it is featured in the popular action-adventure video game Grand Theft Auto IV on the in-game contemporary hip-hop radio station, The Beat 102.7. The song came to be included on Now Thats What I Call Music 27, the promo won gold at the North American Promax Awards. The song has been confirmed to be included within the setlist of the music video game Scratch. The song appeared in one episode of the MTV series My Life as Liz, Flashing Lights is an electronic-tinged hip-hop/R&B song composed in the key of F♯ minor. It is written in time and moves at 90 beats per minute. The main and background vocal range for the song spans nearly three octaves, from C4 to E5. After the introduction, in which Mitchells processed vocals repeat the titular hook four times, following a break, the song enters a passage where its heavily manipulated hook echoes in and out before the coda draws the composition to a close. Flashing Lights received widespread acclaim from music critics and was widely regarded as the best song on Graduation. Alex Fletcher of Digital Spy highly approved of the single, awarding it a four-star review, mixing chilled-out electronics, jittering synths and laid-back, old-skool hip-hop, he creates a sumptuous track that grows more intriguing with every listen. Billboard gave a review, claiming that it does a great job of reintroducing Miami Vice-esque keysFlashing Lights (Kanye West song) – West performing the song at the 2008 Democratic National Convention
25. The Food – The Food is the first single by rapper Common released on his sixth album Be. Kanye West appears on the chorus and also produces the track. West samples I Never Had It So Good by The Chi-Lites and interpolates Nothing Can Change This Love by Otis Redding for the songs beat, in addition, DJ Dummy scratches on the song and Dave Chappelle introduces the live version of it. The song was performed live on Chappelles Show on March 3,2004. This live version is featured on Be, although a studio version does also exist and it received mostly positive acclaim, but was not promoted heavily and did not chart. IGN. com writer Spence D. describes it as a nice, nathan Brackett of Rolling Stone states that it is one of the hardest-rocking tracks of Commons career. The Food The Food The Food The Food List of Common songs Lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsThe Food – "The Food"
26. FourFiveSeconds – FourFiveSeconds is a song recorded by Barbadian singer Rihanna, American musician Kanye West and English musician/former Beatles member Paul McCartney. It was written and produced by West, McCartney, Mike Dean, Dave Longstreth and Noah Goldstein with a writing from Kirby Lauryen, Ty Dolla Sign, Dallas Austin. Previewed by West at the iHeartMedia Music Summit on January 21,2015, the same day the song was made available for digital download. FourFiveSeconds is a folk-pop, pop and soul pop song with an instrumentation consisting of a guitar, organ. Upon its release, it peaked at four on the US Billboard Hot 100 chart. In doing so it gave Rihanna her 26th top-ten song on the chart, the song also peaked at number one on the US Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. Internationally, FourFiveSeconds reached number one in Australia, Denmark, Ireland, Luxembourg, New Zealand and Sweden, as well as the top-three in Canada, France and the United Kingdom. To promote the song, an accompanying music video was directed by Dutch photographer duo Inez. The single has been covered by recording artists, including Canadian rapper Drake. He then slammed his laptop shut and walked offstage to a standing ovation, on January 24, Rihanna posted the song on her official website, Rihannanow. com. The song titled FourFiveSeconds was released as single being available for digital download on January 24 via the iTunes Store. In the United Kingdom it was released on January 26 via Amazon. A CD single featuring FourFiveSeconds and its video was released on February 27 in Germany. FourFiveSeconds was written by West, McCartney, Kirby Lauryen, Mike Dean, Sign, Dave Longstreth, Dallas Austin, Elon Rutberg and it was produced by West and McCartney, co-produced by Dean, while additional production was provided by Longstreth and Goldstein. The single was recorded at the Jungle City Studios in New York City, Windmark Recording in Santa Monica, the vocal production of the song was done by Kuk Harrell and it was mixed by Manny Marroquin at the Larabee Studios in Los Angeles. Assistant mixing was made by Chris Galland, Jeff Jackson and Ike Schultz, McCartney played the acoustic guitar, Longstreth played the organ and Dean played the bass guitar. She had to have it on her album, so now we at the Grammys doing it. West further compared Rihannas vocals on the song to that of Scottish singer Annie Lennox, and she even brought it to another level of like soul and heart and artistryFourFiveSeconds – The Jungle City Studios in New York City was one of the studios where the song was recorded.
27. The Game (Common song) – The Game is the first single from rapper Commons 2007 album Finding Forever. It was released to iTunes as a download on May 22,2007. It is produced by Kanye West, who samples Tezeta by Ethiopian jazz musician Seyfu Yohannes for the tracks beat and it utilizes O. C. s Half Good, Half Sinner to construct one of his signature choruses, which is scratched by DJ Premier. With its hard hitting drums, the beat is considered to be a throwback to 90s boom bap hip hop. A black-and-white music video was shot for The Game and it features Common freestyle rapping in front of a mirror and rapping normally in a murky tunnel. The video appeared at number 86 on BETs Notarized, Top 100 Videos of 2007 countdownThe Game (Common song) – "The Game"
28. Go! (Common song) – Go. is the third single from the Common album Be. It is produced by Kanye West, who performs backing vocals for the track alongside John Mayer. The tracks percussion is handled by Num Amuntehu, while its scratches are provided by A-Trak and its beat contains a sample from Old Smokey by Linda Lewis. Its lyrics deal with sexual fantasies, featuring Joy Denalane were released as singles, one was remixed by Kanye West and the other by Jazzanova. J. Cole also raps over the Go, beat on Knock On Wood Freestyle on his The Blow Up mixtape. Common, Kanye West and John Mayer were inspired to create a song after seeing the 2004 movie Ray and they all headed to a studio where Kanye worked on a beat and Mayer told Common to write about fantasies. It was the most commercially successful song on Be as it reached #79 on The Billboard Hot 100 and also reached the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks, critics attribute this success to its mellow beat, smooth vocals and subject matter. Spence D. of IGN. com writes, A music video directed by Kanye West, MK12 and it features Common relaxing in a modern house that contains rugs, couches and a large window allowing much light into the house. Commons surroundings are constantly morphing, but maintain a brown and beige color scheme, as a preface to various scenes in which Common fulfills fantasies with women, phrases such as body of a dancer and free love appear. Go Go Go Go Chi-City Chi-City Chi-City Chi-City GoGo! (Common song) – "Go!"
29. Gold Digger (Kanye West song) – Gold Digger is a song recorded by American rapper Kanye West featuring guest vocals by Jamie Foxx. Co-produced with Jon Brion, the song contains samples of Ray Charles I Got a Woman. The single broke a record for the most digital downloads in a week, selling over 80,000 and it was 2005s second-longest running number one on the Billboard Hot 100 at ten weeks, behind We Belong Together by Mariah Carey. At the 2006 Grammy Awards, Gold Digger was nominated for Record of the Year, the song lists at number 60 on Billboard magazines All Time Top 100 and at number 9 on the Billboard Hot 100 Songs of the Decade. Gold Digger was voted number 20 on VH1s 100 Greatest Songs of Hip Hop, as of January 2011, the song has sold over 3,000,000 copies in the United States. Upon its release, many surmised that West conceived Gold Digger after watching Jamie Foxxs Oscar-winning portrayal of Ray Charles in the biographical film Ray, however, he had actually constructed the beat of the song long before the movie was even developed. However, for unknown, Shawnna passed on using the song. Not wanting to let it go to waste, West decided to keep the beat for himself and add lyrics expressed from a males point-of-view. The second verse of Gold Digger was the first to be written, as West used to rap the verse in early 2004 while on tour promoting his debut album, the first verse was made later in the year while West was on Ushers Evolution Tour. Lastly, the third verse was taken from an unreleased song called Drop Dead Gorgeous. The idea of employing Jamie Foxx specifically to sing an interpolation of Ray Charles I Got a Woman in place of its initial sample did in fact arise from West seeing Ray with his friend John Mayer. Foxxs vocals were recorded over many takes, in one version he sang from start to finish, after recording another version, Foxx decided to re-record it once more as he felt it contained too many explicit lyrics. Once the track was finally in place, it was layered with additional instruments provided by American film score composer Jon Brion, by the end of their very first studio session together, the pair had completed the basic tracks for the final version of Gold Digger. Despite being a singer, Foxxs part only appears in the intro. Gold Digger contains samples of I Got a Woman by Ray Charles, towards the end, the song employs vintage 1970s synthesizers which emit a honking sound in cadence to Kanyes voice. West delivers a tongue-in-cheek lyrical narrative within Gold Digger in which he depicts the disastrous life of a man married to a woman who manipulates him for financial gain. However, another story arises within the verse, which illustrates a once destitute black male who earns a fortune and decides to leave a loyal. The songs music video was directed by Hype Williams, who also directed Wests previous video, the titles of the magazines on whose covers the women appear reflect the correlating verses in the songGold Digger (Kanye West song) – "Gold Digger"
30. Good Life (Kanye West song) – Good Life is a song by American hip-hop artist Kanye West. It was released on October 2,2007 as the single for his third studio album Graduation. The song was produced by West and DJ Toomp and contains a sample of the outro to P. Y. T. as performed by Michael Jackson. Good Life also has additional drum programming and additional production by Timbaland and Mike Dean, the track features singer/rapper T-Pain as well as background vocals provided by John Legend and Ne-Yo. Good Life managed to enter charts prior to actually being released as a single, the single has since sold over two million copies in the United States and has been certified double platinum. For the chart week of September 29,2007, Good Life was the Hot Shot Debut of the week on the Billboard Hot 100, as it entered at number fourteen due to strong digital downloads. The song climbed to the position, becoming Wests second consecutive top ten Hot 100 single from Graduation as well as T-Pains sixth top ten single. Good Life debuted on the Canadian Hot 100 at number thirty-nine and has peaked at number twenty-three, the single generated a strong reaction from the MuchMusic Countdown, where it reached number-one. Good Life was able to enter at number thirty-three on the UK Singles Chart before it was released in the UK until November 5,2007. Upon its release, the single was able to rise and peak at the position on the chart. The music video for Good Life was directed by Jonas & François with animation by So-Me, the video premiered on September 11,2007 as MTV Jams Jam of the Week. It features West and T-Pain performing with animated backdrops and often mouthing the words of the song lyrics, the version of the song used in the video contains an additional twenty-three second intro that the album version does not have. The video also features rapper/model LoLa Monroe, the video has reached #4 so far on VH1s VSpot Top 20 Countdown. It ranked #40 on VH1s Top 40 Videos of 2007, the video was the recipient of several awards nominations, winning Best Hip-Hop Video at the BET Hip Hop Awards and Best Special Effects in a Video at the MTV Video Music Awards. The song was featured on the HBO television series Entourage during season 4, episode 11, titled No Cannes Do. In the final moments of the episode, Kanye West makes an appearance and lets Vincent Chase and his crew use his plane to fly to Cannes as the song Good Life faded into the credits. US CD single Good Life –3,30 Good Life –3,24 Cant Tell Me Nothing –4,09 Good Life –3,56 UK CD single Good Life –3,27 Cant Tell Me Nothing –4,07 Information taken from Graduation liner notesGood Life (Kanye West song) – "Good Life"
31. Good Morning (Kanye West song) – Good Morning is a song by American hip-hop artist Kanye West. It serves as the track for his third album, Graduation. The song was produced by West and contains samples of Someone Saved My Life Tonight by Elton John and it also contains vocals provided by Connie Mitchell and Tony Penafire Williams, concluding with Jay Zs reiteration of a lyric taken from his own album intro track, The Rulers Back. Though not released as a single, a video directed by Graduation album artwork designer Takashi Murakami was produced for the track. Its story takes place within a metropolis called Universe City. The protagonist of the video is Dropout Bear, Wests longtime mascot, the story chronicles Dropout Bear overcoming various obstacles in an effort to reach his college campus in time for his graduation ceremony. An edited version of the video was used as pre-release promotion for the album. In April 2008, the video was shown in its length during a tour of Murakamis work at the Brooklyn Museum. The video was featured in an exhibit at the Guggenheim Museum in Bilbao. The video was available to the public upon its release in the iTunes Store on August 26,2008. Information taken from Graduation liner notesGood Morning (Kanye West song) – Dropout Bear arriving at the graduation ceremony.
32. Gorgeous (Kanye West song) – Gorgeous is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The track features a hook provided by Kid Cudi, a recording artist formerly signed to Wests label GOOD Music, the song was written by West, Cudi, Raekwon, No I. D. Mike Dean and Rhymefest, and was produced by West, No I. D. and it contains elements of The Turtless cover version of the song You Showed Me. Several critics cited Wests verses as a highlight of the track, complimenting his lyricism, before its release, West premiered an a cappella version of the song in the form of a freestyle rap on Funkmaster Flexs Hot 97 radio show. Despite not being released as a single, the song appeared on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, Cudi and West performed the song live at SXSW, and West performed the track at the Lollapalooza musical festival. Gorgeous was also utilized in Wests short film Runaway, the majority of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was recorded in Oahu, Hawaii, including Gorgeous. Following several media controversies, West decided to record his album in a reclusive manner only working with artists he considered himself familiar with. The song features rapper and occasional singer Kid Cudi, a performer West once described as his favorite artist, the two had previously collaborated on Wests fourth album 808s & Heartbreak, an album that served as a big influence on Cudi. As a friend of West, Cudi was invited to Hawaii to listen to recording sessions of the album, one day when Cudi was hanging around the studio, he overheard the composition of Gorgeous, which he was overwhelmed by. He asked immediately to be featured on the track, on the recording of the song, Cudi mused, “Gorgeous was one of those records that, as soon as I heard the beat, I was like, ‘Man, this is the one. This is that This Can’t Be Life Kanye beat and this is that classic ‘Ye beat. I want to be on this. ’ I came up to him, are you working on this beat. ’ He goes, ‘Yeah … do you got an idea for it. ’ I was like, ‘Yeah, I might. I was lying like a motherfucker, I was like, ‘Yeah, man, I want to get on this joint. In an interview with MTV Cudi commented, thats always our collab formula, and thats just how Gorgeous came about. He just kind of told me what he was trying to say, I threw out some words, we rearranged words and it was announced that Raekwon of the Wu-Tang Clan would also be featured on the song, who West had invited to Hawaii. Raekwon initially had no interest in working with West musically, one of the reasons for Raekwons desire to give West advice was because the frontman of the Wu-Tang Clan, RZA, spoke positively of West. RZA stated that West embodied the mentality of the Wu-Tang Clan, RZA was a part of the recording sessions for the album in Hawaii, and contributed to the production of songs Dark Fantasy and So Appalled. Eventually after being impressed by West himself, Raekwon decided to collaborate with West on several tracks, Raekwon described West as a hard worker, and stated that the first thing I can tell you about Kanye West is that hes a hard workerGorgeous (Kanye West song) – According to RZA, West embodied the mentality of the Wu-Tang Clan and advised Raekwon to collaborate with him.
33. Heartless (Kanye West song) – Heartless is a song by American hip hop artist Kanye West, released on November 4,2008 digitally as the second single for his fourth studio album, 808s & Heartbreak. It debuted at the number four spot on the Billboard Hot 100 where it peaked at number two and reached number-one on the Billboard Hot Rap Tracks and U. S. Heartless is one of the best selling singles of all time, on his fourth studio album 808s & Heartbreak and in the pop song Heartless, Kanye West utilized the voice audio processor device known as Auto-Tune. West had previously experimented with the technology on his album, The College Dropout, for the background vocals of Jesus Walks. The voice altering device created a unique sound helping West express his feelings of his break up with fiancée Alexis Phifer months after the untimely passing of his mother. The pipe-organ sound was sampled from The Alan Parsons Project song Ammonia Avenue, the single fluctuated in and out of the top ten for two months before reaching number three in mid-January, and rose to its peak at number two on the chart issue dated February 21. In early March it also reached number four on the Pop 100 chart and it is Wests second consecutive top five hit on the Hot 100, and his second consecutive song to debut in the top five there. This makes 808s & Heartbreak the first West album to contain two Hot 100 top five hits, on Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs, it peaked at four. It debuted at eleven on the Hot Rap Tracks and has managed to reach number-one in late January. As of September 2012, the song has sold over 4 million paid downloads in the United States, becoming Wests second song to reach that mark. In Canada, it made a Hot Shot Debut at #8 on the Canadian Hot 100. On 1 December 2008, the song debuted at #63 on the Australian ARIA Singles Chart and it reached #6 on the New Zealand RIANZ chart. On the UK Singles Chart, the song debuted at number #45, the official digital release date for the single was 12 January 2009. On the Irish Singles Chart the song has peaked at #10, directed by Hype Williams, the animated music video for Heartless pays tribute to Ralph Bakshis 1981 film American Pop. It features use of rotoscoped animation, in which people were filmed and had their every move drawn over. The video portrays West wandering through a city alone at night, the video also takes place in Wests actual apartment den, where the Jetsons portraits are located. West stands by the Astro portrait in five scenes of the video and it was the first animated video directed by Williams. The song was performed for the first time in Denver, Colorado, the song was also performed at a T. I. concert at Key Club in Los AngelesHeartless (Kanye West song)
34. Heaven (John Legend song) – Heaven is a song by John Legend from the album, Once Again. It was written and produced by himself and musician Kanye West, the remix of the song, released to the iTunes Store in February 2007, features Pusha T. A special EP also features the a version of the remix, the album version. A moderate commercial success, Heaven reached number 26 on Billboards Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs in the United States, released to critical success however, it won Legend his second consecutive Grammy Award for Best Male R&B Vocal Performance at the 49th award ceremony. The song produced two videos, the first one featuring women posed as various Renaissance era paintings. The second one features more John Legend himself and less posture women, both videos were shot at Highclere Castle in the UK and was directed by Hype WilliamsHeaven (John Legend song) – "Heaven"
35. Hell of a Life (song) – Hell of a Life is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The song was produced by West, Mike Caren, Ernest Wilson, the song features a number of samples and contains backing vocals by Teyana Taylor, signed to Wests G. O. O. D. The song features a style with influence from rock and heavy metal music. The song expressive a narrative about West marrying a pornographic film actress and it employs highly sexual, nightmarish imagery, and was inspired by Wests relationship with model Amber Rose amongst other real-life events. The song was featured during Wests Coachella Music Festival setlist and briefly appeared in his short film Runaway and it charted on the South Korean Gaon Chart at position 57. Hell of a Life was recorded in Oahu, Hawaii, along with the majority of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The track takes inspiration from Iron Man, a song first recorded by British heavy metal band Black Sabbath from their studio album Paranoid. Another source of influence that the track drew from was Kraftwerk. Music artist Teyana Taylor contributes backing vocals to the song, primarily within the last minute of the track, lyrically the song draws from Wests relationship with model Amber Rose. West had first gotten into contact with Rose in 2008 and developed a relationship with her. The couple had a dramatic break-up in 2010, due to allegations of adultery, Hell of a Life tells the story of marriage between West and a porn star. The porn star in question has been interpreted as an allusion to Amber Rose, along with Iron Man, the song samples Shes My Baby, by Sylvester Stewart, and performed by The Mojo Men, and of Stud-Spider by Tony Joe White. It is inspired by rock, and features baroque braggadocio inspired rapping delivered by West. Aesthetically the production of the draws from both stoner rock and progressive rock. It has been described as feverish, nightmarish, grimy and grotesque in nature, the primarily bombastic production is littered with heavy synths and brooding, abrasive riffs. The song expresses Wests thoughts on relations and features highly sexual themes and imagery, during the songs climax, West muses how could you say, They live their life wrong. Before launching into the refrain of when you never fuck with the lights on. The melodic, riff-ridden chorus is sung by West, boasting about how pussy and religion is all I needHell of a Life (song) – The production of the song by West was widely cited as a highlight.
36. Homecoming (Kanye West song) – Homecoming is a song by American hip-hop recording artist and record producer Kanye West. It was included as the song on the track-listing of his third studio album Graduation. The track was produced by West with Warryn Campbell and features guest vocals from Chris Martin, West met Chris Martin by chance at the famed Abbey Road Studios in London, England on February 14,2006. Afterwards, the two held an impromptu jam session and recorded the track. Kanye West wrote Homecoming as a dedicated to his hometown of Chicago. His songs conceptual lyrics feature an extended metaphor where he uses a love interest to speak on his relationship with her, the composition is actually a re-recording of a track known as Home that originated from a demo tape dating back to the year 2001. The early recordings of Home exhibit Wests once trademark soulful vocal sample production style, in addition, the lyrics of the original chorus are different and were sung by singer John Legend, who was known at the time as John Stephens. It was released as the single from his third studio album Graduation. Homecoming was released in the United Kingdom as a download and was due to be released as a physical single on February 4,2008. However, the single was cancelled due to downloads starting to decline before the release. It was, however, released on single on 18 February. Homecoming reached Number 9 in the United Kingdom on January 20,2008, the single was met with moderate commercial success, reaching the top twenty on international charts. However, the song received mixed reviews from music critics. Many praised Wests introspective lyricism and storytelling abilities, but others panned Chris Martins appearance due to him not being from Chicago, an accompanying music video for Homecoming was directed by Hype Williams and filmed in the city of Chicago. Shot entirely in black-and-white, the video features a montage of Kanye West walking throughout the streets of Chicago and showcases its landmarks, monuments. Homecoming was written by American hip-hop recording artist and record producer Kanye West with Chris Martin, West co-produced the track with record producer Warryn Campbell. In an interview with Billboard, West first revealed that he had collaborated with the Coldplay frontman and this was for a song that was entitled Homecoming, and West also alluded that it just might be released as the lead single for his third studio album Graduation. The collaboration occurred just the year prior when Kanye West and Chris Martin met and teamed up for a jam session at the Abbey Road Studios in LondonHomecoming (Kanye West song) – "Homecoming"
37. I Am a God – I Am a God is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his sixth solo studio album Yeezus. It was produced by West, Hudson Mohawke, Daft Punk, originally it was rumored Kanye Wests sixth studio album was to be titled I Am God which caused controversy. Then it was revealed there was a song titled I Am a God. Wests camp said the title was a reference to Psalm 82, I said, You are gods, Kanye West debuted the song at the 2013 New York Governors Ball. On June 12,2013, six days before the album Yeezus was released, the song was also featured in the Assassins Creed film teaser trailer. Rolling Stone ranked the song at number 65 on their list of the 100 best songs of 2013, NME positioned it at number 18 on their list of the 50 best songs of 2013. Lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsI Am a God – A masked Kanye West performing "I Am a God" at Barclays Center in Brooklyn, New York City, 2013
38. I Changed My Mind – I Changed My Mind is a song by American R&B recording artist Keyshia Cole, recorded for her debut album, The Way It Is. There was a remix to the song featured rapper Shyne. This version made its way to radio format, while the video version does not have Shyne in it. Vocals from Solomon Burkes Get Out of My Life, Woman are used throughout, although I Changed My Mind actually samples The Chronic by Dr. Dre, in which Burkes sample is already embedded. Keyshia Cole wrote the verse, John Legend wrote the bridge. The song also has vocals by Legend. As are most of her songs, Keyshia wrote this about an ex-boyfriend, as her boyfriend has another girl on the side, he does not pay attention to Cole. She finds out about her, and changes her mind, that she doesnt want to be with him anymore. She then goes on in the bridge, singing to him I dont care if you come back to me on your knees, bliges 1993 Video of You Remind Me. In the video, Cole has a boyfriend whom she loves and she gets very upset and confronts him. She leaves him, and quickly moves on, the video features Kanye West and shows Shynes promo CD More or Less, He is featured on the Remix of this single. It was first seen as the New Joint of the Week on BETs 106 & Park on August 13,2004, I Changed My Mind didnt perform as well as it was expected to on the charts. It debuted on the Hot 100 at an impressive #72, which is the highest debut of all her singles, as a CD single release, it achieved greatest retail gainer status for two weeks. The song lingered in the quarter of the Hot 100 for 2 months. Lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsI Changed My Mind – "I Changed My Mind"
39. I Still Love H.E.R. – I Still Love H. E. R. is a song by J-hip-hop group, Teriyaki Boyz released as the first single from their studio album Serious Japanese. The single was produced by and featured American rap artist Kanye West, the track references the 1994 single I Used to Love H. E. R. A classic rap song which tragically personified hip-hop as a woman and former love interest, the music video for I Still Love H. E. R. is essentially a parody of the popular video sharing site YouTube. The video is in fact a clip, apparently uploaded onto TeriyakiTube, of the Teriyaki Boyz. Hopping into the car and riding off with Dropout and the Teriyaki Boyz before transiting to a scene which lists the two options share or watch againI Still Love H.E.R. – "I Still Love H.E.R."
40. I Want You (Janet Jackson song) – I Want You is a song recorded by American singer Janet Jackson for her eighth studio album, Damita Jo. It was released April 5,2004, by Virgin Records as the single from the album. It was written by Harold Lilly, Kanye West, and John Legend, while it was produced by West, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, the mid-tempo ballad consists of a retro sound and arrangement, paying homage to the classic pop sound of the Motown era. Its composition is based on Jacksons passion and desire for an estranged lover, I Want You is notable for being among the first singles produced with West and co-written by Legend, who were both upcoming artists at the time. The song received positive reviews by critics, who complimented Jacksons vocals and its fusion of nostalgic. I Want You reached the top twenty in airplay prior to stalling due to the blockage, the blacklisting drew controversy amongst critics, who declared the song to likely have been an across-the-board smash song had the incident not occurred. I Want You was certified platinum by the Recording Industry Association of America, the songs music video was directed by Dave Meyers and portrays Jackson traveling through Los Angeles to meet her boyfriend. It was not aired on MTV or several other channels owned by Viacom. During promotional campaign for Damita Jo, Jackson performed I Want You various occasions, I Want You was written by Harold Lilly, Kanye West, and John Legend, while production was handled by West, Jimmy Jam & Terry Lewis, and Jackson. Describing the song, Jackson said, Its a different kind of song for me, more of a doowoop-y, which Ive never done before which is quite exciting, and I enjoyed recording it in the studio. John Platt, senior Vice President of Virgin Records and EMI Publishing, commented that Damita Jo is really about positive love and where shes at in her life right now. The second half of the album was very easy once me and Janet got to know each other, and found the songs really were true to her. Thats why theres so much passion in this I Want You record, West first collaborated with Jackson several months prior to the release of his debut album, The College Dropout. West stated, I dont want to talk about it before it comes out, John Legend, who co-wrote the track, also plays the piano on the track. Legend was an upcoming artist and relatively unknown at the time, the song was among Legends first major credits along with Jay-Zs Encore, Wests remix of Britney Spears Me Against the Music, and The Black Eyed Peas The Boogie that Be. Legend commented, Im not going to focus on her breast like the rest of yall, since everyones paying attention to her, it should bode well for her next single Have Your Way With Me which is gonna drop next week. Were just wrapping up the production now and its produced by Kanye West and co-written by Kanye, Harold Lilly and yours truly. I played some piano on there too, the song also features contributions from Israeli violinist Miri Ben-AriI Want You (Janet Jackson song) – "I Want You"
41. Izzo (H.O.V.A.) – Izzo is the first single released by Jay-Z from his sixth album The Blueprint. It is among his most popular singles and this was the second song released off The Blueprint, after the diss track Takeover, but the lead single from it. The song reached #8 on the Billboard Hot 100 in the U. S and it was Jay-Zs first top 10 single as a lead artist. The song, produced by Kanye West, prominently features a sample of I Want You Back by The Jackson 5, the song was later mashed up with Linkin Parks In the End for their collaborative EP, Collision Course. The first verse deals with the early career as a drug dealer. The second verse narrates his struggles with the recording industryIzzo (H.O.V.A.) – "Izzo (H.O.V.A.)"
42. Jesus Walks – Jesus Walks is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West. It was released on May 25,2004 as the single from his debut album. The song contains a sample of Walk with Me as performed by the ARC Choir, Jesus Walks was acclaimed by music critics, who praised its compelling sonic atmosphere and boldness in its open embrace of faith. It was met by widespread commercial recognition, peaking at No.11 on the Billboard Hot 100, the single was accompanied by three separate music videos, each of which visually interpreted a portion of its multifaceted context in different ways. Jesus Walks continues to be a favorite and stands as one of the most-performed songs by West. At the 47th Grammy Awards, Jesus Walks was awarded the Grammy for Best Rap Song, Rolling Stone named the song No.19 on their list of 100 Best Songs of the 2000s. The song was named the 6th best song of 2004 on Village Voices Pazz & Jop critics poll, in October 2011, NME placed it at No.69 on its list 150 Best Tracks of the Past 15 Years. The song was listed at No.123 on Pitchfork Medias 500 songs of the 2000s and it was placed at No.273 on Rolling Stones list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The song is essentially a spiritual exultation, wherein West discusses how Jesus walks with all manner of people, towards this end, the first conceptual verse of the song is told through the eyes of a drug dealer contemplating his relationship with God. It reportedly took over six months for West to draw inspiration for the second verse. West also uses the song to express his views on how the media seem to shy away from songs that address matters of faith, while embracing songs discussing violence, sex. This is directly taken from Wests experiences when he was struggling to get signed onto a record label and they reasoned that he did not conform to the stereotypes associated with mainstream hip-hop and therefore was not easily marketable. Many of his friends in the industry also warned him that while the song was outstanding. Jesus Walks is a mid-tempo hip-hop song and it is set in common time with a moderate tempo of 87 beats per minute and composed in the key of E-flat minor. The song expresses a pulsating rhythm reminiscent to that of a marching band, the rhythm is accompanied by background vocal samples from the ARC Choirs arrangement of the traditional gospel song Walk With Me that emit a chant in cadence to the beat. Because of these elements, the composition has been described as evoking a militaristic atmosphere. The song begins with a medium followed by its backing vocals. After Wests brief opening dialog, a drumroll sounds and the titular hook is belted by the ARC choirJesus Walks – "Jesus Walks"
43. Knock You Down – Knock You Down is a song by American singer and songwriter Keri Hilson, recorded for her debut studio album In a Perfect World. The song features guest vocals from Ne-Yo and Kanye West, all three artists co-wrote the song with its producer Nate Danja Hills, as well as Kevin Cossom and Marcella Araica. The song was released first released to rhythmic and urban airplay in the United States as the fourth single in the US. The song is a contemporary R&B and hip hop song, which elements of pop music. The lyrics of the song pertain to how love knocks you down, part of the song refers to Michael Jackson, coincidentally it was released at the time surrounding the death of the singer. The song received mixed to positive reviews, with critics divided as to whether Ne-Yo. However, reviewers also complimented that the song was radio-friendly and it was nominated for multiple awards, including Best Rap/Sung Collaboration at the 52nd Grammy Awards. Knock You Down peaked at one in New Zealand, and was certified Platinum by the Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. It also reached the top ten in Canada, Ireland, the United Kingdom, the songs music video was directed by Chris Robinson. It sees Hilson caught in a triangle with her former partner West. The video received positive reviews, which appreciated the performances given by the artists. Hilson performed the song a number of times, including television appearances such as on The Rachael Ray Show and she also notably performed the song at the 2009 BET Awards, where she used the Jackson reference of the song to give a tribute performance to the late singer. Hilson and Ne-Yo knew each other from their days as co-songwriters, Hilson had appeared as Ne-Yos love interest in the video for his song Miss Independent, the second single taken from his 2008 album, Year of the Gentleman. In a September 2008 interview with Rap-Up about a recent crop of songwriters becoming singers, Ne-Yo said For one, for two, her voice is incredible—on top of the fact that she can write. So I think that she’s definitely one that deserves the spotlight, in Knock You Down, Kanye West makes multiple references to Michael Jackson, and coincidentally, the song was released in numerous territories around the death of the singer. Knock You Down is a R&B song with a length of five minutes, the song also includes electro tones, and derives from pop and hip hop genres. The song is set in time, and composed in a moderate R&B groove. It is written in the key of G minor, and vocals span from F3 to D5 and it follows the chord progression E♭–F–B♭–E♭–F–GmKnock You Down – "Knock You Down"
44. Lift Off (song) – Lift Off is a song by Jay-Z and Kanye West featuring American recording artist Beyoncé. The song was rumored to be released as the single from the album containing additional vocals by Bruno Mars. However, Mars never appeared on the song and it was sent to contemporary radio on August 23,2011. Musically, Lift Off is a pop song which uses baroque strings and it contains a chorus sung by Beyoncé, while other verses are sung by West and Jay-Z in a rap style. Instrumentally, the song is completed with synthesizers, martial drums, Lift Off received mixed to positive reviews from music critics who highlighted the song and praised its hook as well as Beyoncés vocals. The song peaked at one on the South Korea Gaon International Chart. Lift Off was performed live by Jay-Z and Kanye West during their tour in promotion of Watch the Throne titled Watch the Throne Tour. Lift Off was written by Kanye West, Jay-Z, Jeff Bhasker, Mike Dean, Bruno Mars and Seal, while production was handled by West, Bhasker, Mike Dean, Pharrell, Q-Tip, the song was recorded in Sydney, Australia. In early May 2011, it was rumored that Bruno Mars recorded vocals for the song along with Beyoncé, however, Mars never appeared on the song and Beyoncé sang several lines during the chorus instead. In February,2011, Kanye West and Jay-Z held a party at the AMNH’s Hayden Planetarium, during the party, Lift Off was one of the previewed songs. It was described as a track on the album by a writer for Vulture. Lift Off is a pop song mainly in 6/8 time, which features baroque strings, the song contains horns and martial drums as Beyoncé sings, We gon take it to the moon/ Take it to the stars. Throughout the song Wests vocals are enhanced by Auto-Tune in some places, Seal provides backing vocals in the song, which according to Jon Caramanica of The New York Times were impossible-to-notice. In the song, Beyoncé sings about having so many scars, Jeff Weiss of The Hollywood Reporter found an old NASA movie sample and Kanye showing off his tattoos and inflexible singing voice. Simon Price of The Independent found neurofunk influences on Lift Off, a writer of The Guardian compared the synthesizers in the song with the song The Final Countdown by Swedish rock band Europe. Lift Off was sent to contemporary radio in the United States on August 23,2011. According to several media, the song was popular on Twitter and across the Internet. According to Billboard magazine, Jay-Z suggested that a video for the song could appearLift Off (song) – Bruno Mars (pictured), who co-produced "Lift Off", was rumored to sing several lines in it. However, he did not appear on the final version of the track.
45. Lost in the World – Lost in the World is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The song features vocals by Justin Vernon of indie folk band Bon Iver and it also contains portions of Soul Makossa written by Manu Dibango, and samples of Comment No. It was produced by West and Jeff Bhasker, who wrote the track with Vernon, Lost in the World was initially leaked on September 29,2010 and was 6 minutes and 4 seconds long. The version on the album was split up into two parts, with the outro becoming a new track entitled Who Will Survive in America, the song received acclaim from music critics, who praised the atmospheric production, the appearance of Vernon, and Wests verse. The verse by West was described as one of the most poetic of his career, Lost in the World was featured during the closing credits of Runaway, a 35-minute short film directed by West set with music from the album. The song peaked at number 104 on the South Korean Gaon Chart, a music video was directed by Ruth Hogben, featuring black and white cinematography, frantic dancing by models and a brief cameo by West. The music video received positive reviews from critics, Lost in the World was sampled in a freestyle by Wests GOOD Music labelmate Pusha T, and a remix produced by DJ Tiësto. Lost in the World was proposed by West as the fifth single. Kanye West previewed Lost in the World in July 2010 at the offices of Facebook, West performed production-free versions of several songs at the event, standing on top of a table. Before launching into a performance of Lost in the World, West mused that this is actually a bit more like a poem, a version of the song leaked online on September 29,2010, the version was unfinished, with a length of approximately 6 minutes. At this time, it was whether or not the song would appear on Wests upcoming fifth studio album. The first part of the track remained titled Lost in the World, while the end became another song, following some media controversies, West chose to record My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in a reclusive manner in Oahu, Hawaii. Like the majority of the album, Lost in the World was composed there, West attempted to shy away from working with artists he didnt consider himself familiar with, however made the exception for Justin Vernon, singer of the band Bon Iver. Vernons involvement in the project stemmed from a call by West. West had gotten into contact with Vernon and described his intention of sampling the song Woods from Bon Ivers Blood Bank EP, after the phone message, West invited Vernon down to his record studio in Hawaii to appear on the album. West also cited the Bon Iver album For Emma, Forever Ago as something he was a fan of, the two quickly became friends through discussions of music and games of basketball. While at Hawaii, Vernon collaborated extensively, reportedly producing a total of 10 tracks together, including the album cuts Dark Fantasy and it was kind of bare so I added some choir-sounding stuff and then thicked out the samples with my voice. That whole first week I was there we worked on the Woods song and we were just eating breakfast and listening to the song on the speakers and hes like, Fuck, this is going to be the festival closerLost in the World – Bon Iver 's Justin Vernon was invited by West to his recording studio in Hawaii. Vernon described West as demanding, but mused that the recording process was creative and enjoyable.
46. Love Lockdown – Love Lockdown is a song by American hip hop artist Kanye West, released September 18,2008 as the lead single of his studio album 808s & Heartbreak. Written and produced by West and musician Jeff Bhasker, it was premiered by West at the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards prior to its release as a single. Primarily a minimal pop and R&B song, Love Lockdown contains elements of synthpop and electronic music, despite being a drastic departure from his previous work, the song was well received by critics, and was frequently cited as a highlight of the album. Time magazine critic Josh Tyrangiel named Love Lockdown the best song of 2008, the single was also successful commercially, as it managed to debut at #3 on the U. S. Billboard Hot 100 and has since sold over three million copies in the United States. Kanye West debuted Love Lockdown on September 7,2008, as the performance of the 2008 MTV Video Music Awards. On September 18, he released it as the single of 808s & Heartbreak. After announcing it as the albums first single, West posted free copies of the song on his blog for fans to download. A week later, he posted six downloadable stems, each featuring isolated song portions of Love Lockdown, on his blog. These portions include an a cappella, distorted vocals,808, percussion, piano. The song is featured in the first episode edition of Grand Theft Auto IV, The Lost and Damned on the in-game contemporary hip-hop radio station, in 2016, poet and musician Saul Williams revealed that he worked on the track, but was uncredited. It is composed in the key of C# minor, set in the signature of common time. Wests vocal range spans two octaves, from G#2 to G#4. The song is written in a form that expresses quiet-loud dynamics, featuring verses delivered in a low, somber tone before shifting into loud. Going further against the sound of hip hop beat, along with the 808. West stated his intention was to juxtapose the mechanical sounds of the auto-tune and 808s with the traditional sounds of taiko drums. The song is minimal in nature, retaining a repetitious bassline before building into more layered sounds within the chorus. It is the highest debut of Wests career, and was the second highest debut on the Hot 100 of 2008, Love Lockdown is also only the tenth song of the decade to debut in the top three, and only the second by an artist unaffiliated with American Idol. The single also made a Hot Shot Debut at number five on the Canadian Hot 100, in Europe, Love Lockdown peaked at number eight the UK Singles Chart and at number four on the Irish Singles ChartLove Lockdown – "Love Lockdown"
47. Made in America (Jay-Z and Kanye West song) – Made in America is a song by American hip hop recording artists Kanye West and Jay Z, from their first collaborative album Watch the Throne. It is the track on the album and features vocals from OFWGKTA singer Frank Ocean. Lyrically, the song explores themes of life and the American Dream. It expresses the hardships of youth and coming of age, the track received positive reviews from music critics who praised Oceans vocal hook, and the subject matter of the verses. The song has been compared to inspirational ballads of late-period Michael Jackson, the song charted on South Korea Gaon International Chart at number 178. Jay Z and West performed the song at their 2011 Watch the Throne Tour, Jay Z and Kanye West are both American rappers who have collaborated on several tracks together. In 2010, they began production and recording on a collaborative record Watch the Throne, Frank Ocean is an R&B singer who released his debut mixtape Nostalgia, Ultra in early 2011 to critical acclaim. The release of the mixtape interested West, who was reported to be a big fan, West invited Ocean to write and sing on two songs off of the record. Frank wrote and provided vocals on tracks No Church in the Wild and Made in America, the song has been described as an understated soft-pop track with influence from Michael Jackson and his 1985 charity single We Are the World. Oceans hook pays tribute to Martin Luther King, Jr. Coretta Scott King, Malcolm X, Betty Shabazz and, of course, rob Harvilla of Spin stated that PBR&B prince Frank Ocean sings on the subdued but triumphant Made in America. The song invokes heroes of the civil movement and reflects on how West. Jay Z muses on his drug-dealing past with lines like our apple pie was supplied by Arm & Hammer, utilizing his skill at baking double- and triple-meanings into a line. Wests verse describes his original hustle in terms of blogging and web traffic and his conflict with fame, popdust reported that this is Jay at his most vulnerable, revealing things he may be thinking but not regularly willing to share with others. While the song’s chorus seems to all of those “Made In America. Made in America received mostly positive reviews from most music critics, rolling Stone stated that both rappers deliver sentimental verses, but Ocean carries most of the emotional weight here. Steve Jones of USA Today commented on the equally potent Made in America, the two talk about their rises to fame, while acknowledging those who helped and inspired them. Sputnikmusics Tyler Fisher noted that Frank Ocean asks, “What’s a god to a nonbeliever. ”On “No Church in the Wild”, rolling Stones Simon Vozick-Levinson mused Frank Oceans second appearance on the album is another keeper. Hip-hop heads will be singing his honey-voiced, religiously-themed hook all fall, Jay Z and Kanye keep the thoughtful mood going with verses that revisit their respective rises to fameMade in America (Jay-Z and Kanye West song) – Ocean's hook received the most praise of any aspect of the song, being described as the "emotional weight" of the track.
48. Make Her Say – Make Her Say is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kid Cudi, released as the second single from his debut album Man on the Moon, The End of Day. The single was released to iTunes on June 9,2009. It features fellow American rappers Common and Kanye West, the latter of whom produced the song. The song is perhaps best known for its sample of Poker Face, the song received a nomination for Best Rap Performance by a Duo or Group at the 52nd Grammy Awards. Make Her Say is performed by Kid Cudi, Kanye West and it was originally titled I Poke Her Face, but was changed to make it more acceptable for radio. The song was written by all three artists, produced by West, and features scratches from DJ A-Trak, Lady Gaga and producer RedOne are credited as co-writers, because an acoustic version of Gagas song Poker Face from The Cherrytree Sessions EP is sampled throughout the song. Gaga voiced approval of the track, saying that West had so much insight into what the song was about, incidentally, just a few weeks later, the two revealed plans to tour together, however, the tour was later canceled. In addition to the Lady Gaga sample, the song makes references to T. I. s Whatever You Like, Asher Roths I Love College. The music video for Make Her Say was directed by Nez Khammal, the video carries a minimal aesthetic, with scenes taking place in empty, wide-open spaces. Although Kid Cudi, Kanye West, and Common all appear in the video, the music video utilizes a split screen effect to create the illusion that the three artists were all filmed in the same location. In reality, they had shot their scenes on opposite coasts of the United States, Common. The group had wanted Lady Gaga to be included in the video, the Make Her Say video is also the first music video to feature the hardware from Activisions DJ Hero. Kid Cudi performed the song solo during his set at the 2009 Bamboozle music festival, Kid Cudi also performed the song on June 13 in Chicago at The B96 Pepsi Summer Bash and in London at the 2009 O2 Wireless Festival. He also performed his verse of the song at Lollapalooza 2009 in Chicago and he performed the song with Lady Gaga on her Monster Ball tour in Toronto, Ontario, Canada. S. CD single Make Her Say –3,59 Day N Night –3,42 Day N Night –4,41 In the United States and that same week, it also entered the Canadian Hot 100 at number seventy-eight. The song entered the Bubbling Under R&B/Hip-Hop Singles chart at six for the issue date of July 4. The following week, it appeared on the Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart at number seventy-three, lyrics of this song at MetroLyricsMake Her Say – Lady Gaga and Kid Cudi performing the piano version of "Poker Face" and "Make Her Say" on The Monster Ball Tour.
49. Millions (song) – It was later revealed that the song would not be featured on the album. It was also included on his 2013 mixtape Wrath of Caine, the song peaked at number 47 on the Billboard Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs chart. The music video for Millions was directed by Samuel Rogers, on January 24, Def Jam released a trailer for the music video. The full video was released on February 11,2013Millions (song) – "Millions"
50. Monster (Kanye West song) – Monster is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West, released as the third single from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The track features rappers Jay-Z, Rick Ross, Nicki Minaj, all five credited performers have writing credits on the posse cut, with the production handled by West and Mike Dean. Lyrically the song expresses often disturbing, horror film influenced concepts, the song contains an atmospheric, drum-heavy composition, notable for featuring no samples. The song was listed amongst the best tracks of 2010 by publications, the song debuted and peaked on the Billboard Hot 100 at position 18. The track was promoted with a video directed by Jake Nava. The music video had several references to films and featured extensive horror imagery, with zombies, decapitated corpses. The music video was controversial, being banned from MTV. The video has been criticized for its portrayal of women, to promote his upcoming fifth album, West launched GOOD Fridays, a weekly free music giveaway. In the first week West released onto his website a remix of the albums first single, Power, the song was promptly removed from his website and replaced with another track, with Monster being uploaded as a digital single onto iTunes. West announced that Monster was actually intended for his collaborative album Watch the Throne with Jay-Z, Wests announcement failed to surface however, and the song actually appeared on My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy and was released as the albums third single. Following some media controversies, West chose to record his fifth studio My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy in a manner in Oahu. Like the majority of the album, Monster was composed there, rapper Rick Ross was invited to Hawaii to work with West, because West was set to produce the song Live Fast, Die Young, which appeared on Teflon Don, an album by Ross. While Ross was there with West in his studio, he actually walked in on West while recording another song. Ross was not initially intended to be featured on Wests album, however Ross was so impressed with what he heard he decided to record a quick, Ross had the concept of the song explained to him by West, which according to Ross, blew him away in presentation. West was so impressed by Ross that he invited him back to his studio during the stages of the album. While Ross was there, both Jay-Z and Minaj were recording their verses, Ross expressed his admiration for Minaj, who impressed him during the recording. He stated that what he had observed had earned him respect for Minaj, Minaj expressed excitement when approached to collaborate on the song, and she had contributed 32 bars to the track. Her main inspiration behind working on the track was the possibility of meeting Jay-Z, according to her, she literally couldnt have a conversation without quoting a line by him, and it was a dream come true to collaborate with the artistMonster (Kanye West song) – Rap artists Rick Ross (left) and Nicki Minaj (right) are both featured on the song. Ross was impressed with the song's concept and asked if he could deliver the intro. Minaj appeared on the song due in part to her admiration of Jay-Z. Ross expressed admiration for Minaj, and praised her lyricism.