Category:Songs written by Rhymefest
Pages in category "Songs written by Rhymefest"
The following 9 pages are in this category, out of 9 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
The following 9 pages are in this category, out of 9 total. This list may not reflect recent changes (learn more).
1. Yeezus – Yeezus is the sixth solo album and seventh studio album by American rapper Kanye West. It was released on June 18,2013 by Def Jam Recordings, West gathered a number of artists and close collaborators for production on the album, including Mike Dean, Daft Punk, Noah Goldstein, Hudson Mohawke, Arca, and Travis Scott. Yeezus also features guest vocals from Justin Vernon, Chief Keef, Kid Cudi, Assassin, King L, Charlie Wilson, fifteen days before its release date, West enlisted the help of producer Rick Rubin to strip down the records sound in favor of a more minimalist approach. Yeezus has been characterized as Wests most experimental and sonically abrasive work and it draws from an array of genres, including industrial, acid house, electro, dancehall, punk, and Chicago drill. It also continues Wests unconventional use of samples, as on Blood on the Leaves, the release features no album artwork, and the physical CD edition of the album was released in a clear jewel box with only a strip of red tape and sample credits. Initial promotion of Yeezus included worldwide video projections of the albums music, West released two singles from the album, the song Black Skinhead in July 2013 and Bound 2 the following month. Yeezus received widespread acclaim from critics, many of whom named it among Wests best work and commended its brash direction, the album debuted at number one on the Billboard 200, selling 327,000 copies in its first week of release. It topped the charts of 30 other countries, including the United Kingdom, Yeezus was nominated in two categories at the 2014 Grammy Awards, including Best Rap Album. As of 2016, the album has sold 750,000 copies in the United States, following the release of his fifth album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, West collaborated with longtime friend Jay Z on Watch the Throne. In July 2012, producer No I. D, the album features additional vocals by Justin Vernon, Frank Ocean, Kid Cudi, Chief Keef, King L, Assassin and Charlie Wilson. West was influenced primarily by minimalist design and architecture during the production of Yeezus, a single Le Corbusier lamp was his greatest inspiration. West worked closely with the architect Oana Stanescu, and took trips to Le Corbusier homes. West also wanted a deep influence on the album. Alejandro Jodorowskys The Holy Mountain was also an inspiration for the album, in 2012, West began recording his seventh studio album with collaborators, including No I. D. and DJ Khaled. The first recordings were held in January 2013, in the room of his personal loft at a Paris hotel. West kept compositions simple in order to hear the more clearly. The beats emanating from the space, which sometimes lasted through the night. Reports emerged that he and his then-girlfriend Kim Kardashian had moved to the loft in order for West to begin work on the album, the atmosphere in the studio was described by contributor Evian Christ as very focused, and West once again brought in several close collaborators
2. Gorgeous (Kanye West song) – Gorgeous is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his fifth studio album, My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. The track features a hook provided by Kid Cudi, a recording artist formerly signed to Wests label GOOD Music, the song was written by West, Cudi, Raekwon, No I. D. Mike Dean and Rhymefest, and was produced by West, No I. D. and it contains elements of The Turtless cover version of the song You Showed Me. Several critics cited Wests verses as a highlight of the track, complimenting his lyricism, before its release, West premiered an a cappella version of the song in the form of a freestyle rap on Funkmaster Flexs Hot 97 radio show. Despite not being released as a single, the song appeared on the Billboard Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles chart, Cudi and West performed the song live at SXSW, and West performed the track at the Lollapalooza musical festival. Gorgeous was also utilized in Wests short film Runaway, the majority of My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy was recorded in Oahu, Hawaii, including Gorgeous. Following several media controversies, West decided to record his album in a reclusive manner only working with artists he considered himself familiar with. The song features rapper and occasional singer Kid Cudi, a performer West once described as his favorite artist, the two had previously collaborated on Wests fourth album 808s & Heartbreak, an album that served as a big influence on Cudi. As a friend of West, Cudi was invited to Hawaii to listen to recording sessions of the album, one day when Cudi was hanging around the studio, he overheard the composition of Gorgeous, which he was overwhelmed by. He asked immediately to be featured on the track, on the recording of the song, Cudi mused, “Gorgeous was one of those records that, as soon as I heard the beat, I was like, ‘Man, this is the one. This is that This Can’t Be Life Kanye beat and this is that classic ‘Ye beat. I want to be on this. ’ I came up to him, are you working on this beat. ’ He goes, ‘Yeah … do you got an idea for it. ’ I was like, ‘Yeah, I might. I was lying like a motherfucker, I was like, ‘Yeah, man, I want to get on this joint. In an interview with MTV Cudi commented, thats always our collab formula, and thats just how Gorgeous came about. He just kind of told me what he was trying to say, I threw out some words, we rearranged words and it was announced that Raekwon of the Wu-Tang Clan would also be featured on the song, who West had invited to Hawaii. Raekwon initially had no interest in working with West musically, one of the reasons for Raekwons desire to give West advice was because the frontman of the Wu-Tang Clan, RZA, spoke positively of West. RZA stated that West embodied the mentality of the Wu-Tang Clan, RZA was a part of the recording sessions for the album in Hawaii, and contributed to the production of songs Dark Fantasy and So Appalled. Eventually after being impressed by West himself, Raekwon decided to collaborate with West on several tracks, Raekwon described West as a hard worker, and stated that the first thing I can tell you about Kanye West is that hes a hard worker
3. Glory (Common and John Legend song) – Glory is a song performed by American rapper Common and American singer John Legend. It was written by John Legend, Common, and Rhymefest, the song was released on December 11,2014 by Columbia Records as the theme song from the 2014 film Selma, which portrays the 1965 Selma to Montgomery marches. Common also co-starred as Civil Rights Movement leader James Bevel in Selma, commercially, the song peaked at number 49 on the US Billboard Hot 100. A music video for the song was directed by Paramount Pictures and was released on January 12,2015, the music video was directed by Paramount Pictures. It was put on Commons official Vevo account on January 12,2015, the video stars Legend and Common. The video, which includes footage from the film, begins with Legend playing the piano and then singing, Glory was performed by Legend and Common on the American morning television show Good Morning America on January 5,2015. On February 8,2015, the duo performed the song as culmination to the 57th Annual Grammy Awards ceremonies held at the Staples Center in Los Angeles, California. Legend and Common performed Glory during the 87th Academy Awards show on February 22,2015 using a stage-setting of Selmas Edmund Pettus Bridge, the song won the Oscar for Best Original Song. In October 2015, Common surprised a student choir in Compton, the promotion was run by Omaze, a private internet company that raises funds for charity through online auctions and merchandise sales. Glory officially debuted on the Billboard Hot 100 at number 92 and it became Commons fourth charted song on that chart of his own and has since peaked at number 49. Digital download Glory –4,32 Music video on YouTube 2015 Academy Awards performance on YouTube Full lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics
4. Jesus Walks – Jesus Walks is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West. It was released on May 25,2004 as the single from his debut album. The song contains a sample of Walk with Me as performed by the ARC Choir, Jesus Walks was acclaimed by music critics, who praised its compelling sonic atmosphere and boldness in its open embrace of faith. It was met by widespread commercial recognition, peaking at No.11 on the Billboard Hot 100, the single was accompanied by three separate music videos, each of which visually interpreted a portion of its multifaceted context in different ways. Jesus Walks continues to be a favorite and stands as one of the most-performed songs by West. At the 47th Grammy Awards, Jesus Walks was awarded the Grammy for Best Rap Song, Rolling Stone named the song No.19 on their list of 100 Best Songs of the 2000s. The song was named the 6th best song of 2004 on Village Voices Pazz & Jop critics poll, in October 2011, NME placed it at No.69 on its list 150 Best Tracks of the Past 15 Years. The song was listed at No.123 on Pitchfork Medias 500 songs of the 2000s and it was placed at No.273 on Rolling Stones list of The 500 Greatest Songs of All Time. The song is essentially a spiritual exultation, wherein West discusses how Jesus walks with all manner of people, towards this end, the first conceptual verse of the song is told through the eyes of a drug dealer contemplating his relationship with God. It reportedly took over six months for West to draw inspiration for the second verse. West also uses the song to express his views on how the media seem to shy away from songs that address matters of faith, while embracing songs discussing violence, sex. This is directly taken from Wests experiences when he was struggling to get signed onto a record label and they reasoned that he did not conform to the stereotypes associated with mainstream hip-hop and therefore was not easily marketable. Many of his friends in the industry also warned him that while the song was outstanding. Jesus Walks is a mid-tempo hip-hop song and it is set in common time with a moderate tempo of 87 beats per minute and composed in the key of E-flat minor. The song expresses a pulsating rhythm reminiscent to that of a marching band, the rhythm is accompanied by background vocal samples from the ARC Choirs arrangement of the traditional gospel song Walk With Me that emit a chant in cadence to the beat. Because of these elements, the composition has been described as evoking a militaristic atmosphere. The song begins with a medium followed by its backing vocals. After Wests brief opening dialog, a drumroll sounds and the titular hook is belted by the ARC choir
5. I Am a God – I Am a God is a song by American hip hop recording artist Kanye West from his sixth solo studio album Yeezus. It was produced by West, Hudson Mohawke, Daft Punk, originally it was rumored Kanye Wests sixth studio album was to be titled I Am God which caused controversy. Then it was revealed there was a song titled I Am a God. Wests camp said the title was a reference to Psalm 82, I said, You are gods, Kanye West debuted the song at the 2013 New York Governors Ball. On June 12,2013, six days before the album Yeezus was released, the song was also featured in the Assassins Creed film teaser trailer. Rolling Stone ranked the song at number 65 on their list of the 100 best songs of 2013, NME positioned it at number 18 on their list of the 50 best songs of 2013. Lyrics of this song at MetroLyrics