Fluting (architecture)

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to: navigation, search
Spiral fluted columns in the Great Colonnade at Apamea in Syria
Vertical fluting on Doric order columns

Fluting in architecture is the shallow grooves running vertically along a surface.

The term typically refers to the grooves running on a column shaft or a pilaster, but need not necessarily be restricted to those two applications. If the hollowing out of material meets in a point, the point is called an arris.

If the lower half of the hollowed-out grooves appear to have been re-filled with a cylindrical element, it may be referred to as "cabled fluting".[1]

See also[edit]


  1. ^ "Fluting." Dictionary of Architecture & Landscape Architecture. John Fleming, Hugh Honour, and Nikolaus Pevsner. 5th ed. (London: Penguin, 1999).

External links[edit]