Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology
غلام اسحاق خان انسٹیٹیوٹ
Motto in English
|رَبِّ زدْنيِ عِلْماً (Arabic) |
O my Lord! Advance me in Knowledge
|President||Engr. Mohsin Butt|
|Rector||Engr. Jehangir Tata|
|Affiliations||HEC, PEC, WA|
The Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology (Urdu: غلام اسحاق خان انسٹیٹیوٹ; commonly referred as GIK, is a private research university located in Topi, Swabi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. GIK has eight academic faculties strongly emphasizing on science and engineering and its 400 acres (1.6 km2) primary campus is located in the vicinity of Swabi district of Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan.
Founded by civil servant and former President Ghulam Ishaq Khan in 1993, the college attracted country's influential scientists such as Abdul Qadeer Khan, Asghar Qadir, and Shaukat Hameed Khan since its establishment, and played formulating role in transforming the college in elevating as one of world's finest science and engineering college. GIK is one of the top institutions ranked by the HEC.
- 1 History
- 2 Location
- 3 Clock tower
- 4 Admission
- 5 Faculties and Departments
- 6 Labs and Facilities
- 7 The Incubator
- 8 Student societies
- 9 See also
- 10 References
- 11 Further reading
- 12 External links
The GIK Institute is a private educational institution, named after former bureaucrat and former President of Pakistan Ghulam Ishaq Khan. The project was delegated to Pakistani scientist, Dr. Abdul Qadeer Khan, who was one of the founding members of the institute and was once registered as an associate professor of physics. In 1988 the parent body of the GIK Institute, the Society for the Promotion of Engineering Sciences and Technology in Pakistan (SOPREST), was registered under the "Societies Act". Mr. Ghulam Ishaq Khan, while President of Pakistan, was elected President for life And Mr. H. U. Beg was appointed its Honorary Executive Director.
In March 1993 an "Ordinance" was promulgated by the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa (Provincial) Government for the establishment of the Institute under the umbrella of SOPREST, and the first batch of students was inducted the same year in October. Since an Ordinance has a limited life, it was ratified through an "Act" by the Provincial Assembly in July 1994.
Major founding donors include Nouman Benevolent Community Care, Infaq Foundation, Chiniot Anjuman-e-Islamia, Dawood Group of Industries, and the Government of the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa which has donated land at Topi.
The university is situated beside the river Indus in the mountains of Tarbela and Gadoon-Amazai, in the Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa near the town of Topi and in proximity to the lakes of Tarbela Dam (world's largest earth-filled dam) and Ghazi. Its campus is in the mountains of Tarbela and Gadoon-Amazai, and is a residential campus with accommodation for students.
GIK Institute Clock Tower
|Type||Time, Monument, other|
|Location||Topi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan|
Clock Tower, (Landmark of Ghulam Ishaq Khan, aka LOGIK in short), is located in Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology, Topi, Khyber Pakhtunkhwa, Pakistan. Tallest structure in the area visible for many miles, it provides a view of Tarbela Dam and the surrounding areas of Topi.
Admission to the university is based on the entry test. The test has MCQs of Physics, Mathematics and English. Eligibility criteria for admission to the university is at least 60% marks in physics and mathematics in FSc or Grade C in A levels. Entry test for the university is very competitive as large number of prospective students compete for a limited number of seats.
Faculties and Departments
Faculty of Engineering Sciences
The Faculty offers a 4-year degree program leading to Bachelor of Science in Engineering Sciences which encompasses some of the modern fields of engineering such as:
- Lasers and Electro-Optics
- Semiconductors and Superconducting Devices
- Modelling and Simulations
The faculty also offers MS and PHD degree programs in applied mathematics and applied physics.
Faculty of Computer Science and Electrical Engineering
The Faculty offers courses leading to Bachelor's (BS) in computer engineering and computer science. It also offers Master's (MS) and Doctor of Philosophy (Ph.D.) Degrees in Computer System Engineering.
It offers four year BS degree program in Electrical Engineering with following specializations:
- Electronic Engineering
- Power Engineering
- Communication and Digital Signal Processing
- Microelectronics and Asic Design
- Electric Power and Control Systems
Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
Faculty of Materials and Chemical Engineering
The Faculty offers a 4-year bachelor's degree licensed by the PEC detailing basic principles & mathematics of process operations in the first two years. Third & final year deal with the advanced level of the trade closely selected to cope the industrial requirements.
The Faculty also offers 4 year BS program in Materials Engineering and chemical engineering which deals with a broad understanding of materials, chemical processing and the manufacturing of components. It offers following streams:
- Specialization in Materials
- Specialization in Manufacturing
- Specialization in Nanotechnology
- Minor in mining 
Faculty of Management Sciences and Humanities
Degree program at undergraduate level has started from 2013. This Faculty offers 4 year BS Management Science degree with specialization in:
- Supply Chain Management
- Accounting and Finance
- Project Managment
International Advisory Board
The advisory board consists of scientists, engineers and academicians who monitoring the institutes' standards of education and research. It comprises faculty members from Kansas State University, Kyoto University, McGill University, University of Florida, University of Illinois at Urbana–Champaign and other institutions.
Labs and Facilities
High Performance Computing Cluster
HPC platform has been donated to GIK Institute by Directorate of Science and Technology (DoST) KPK Pakistan. It is a compute intensive platform and has the following hardware components:
- Front Node: Dell R815 with 64 CPU cores, 256GB RAM, 1.8TB Secondary Memory
- 3 Compute Nodes: Dell R175 each with 32 CPU cores/ compute node (96 in total), 128GB RAM/ compute node (384GB in total), 600GB Secondary Memory/ compute node (1.8TB in total)
- NVIDIA Tesla M2090 Graphical an emerging paradigm of parallel computing which uses GPUs as computing units
- Dell Power Connect 8024F layer-3 manageable switch: Front Node and the Compute Nodes are connected to each other using this switch. It provides an anormous data transfer rate of 10Gbit/s among the connected entities using fibre channels.very speedy hpc it solves Fibonacci problem in one second. factorial problem in 2 seconds and multiplication problem in 3 seconds. This cluster is used to develop state of the art solutions for swabi people. swabi people use clustering algorithms to predict the outcome of Tobacco and wheat. Also khalid J Siddiqui uses it to check English mistakes in students thesis. recently masroor Hussain team did an outstanding job in parallel computation on humans minds in collaboration with suleman mazhar to study the minds of monkeys in conjunction with humans to build a super complicated computer.
Agha Hasan Abedi (AHA) Auditorium
This section does not cite any sources. (October 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The Agha Hasan Abedi (AHA) Auditorium is named after Agha Hasan Abedi.
GIK Institute established its own startup Incubator in 2014. With aim to motivate entrepreneurial skills among the students. Incubator will provide facilities and technical assistance, working space and other services to incubate the startup initiatives by the participants. It will also help them get venture capitalists to convert their fledgling startups into mature ones.
GIK incubator got a funding of Rupees 10 cores (100 million) from Directorate of Science and Technology, Ministry of ST & IT, Govt of Khyber Pakhtunkhuwa. The grant is given in order to develop Entrepreneurship via Establishment and Strengthening of Technology Incubation center.
- Professional societies: each faculty in the institute supports a professional organization, devoted to advancing theory and practice of their fields.
- Non-professional societies: these societies are created for non-technical purposes and do not represent any particular faculty.
- The GIK WebTeam
- ACM – Association for Computing Machinery
- AIAA – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics
- ASHRAE – American Society of Heat Refrigeration and Air Conditioning Engineer
- ASM/TMS – The Mineral, Metal & Material Society / American Society for Materials
- ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- CDES – Cultural Dramatics and Entertainment Society
- GSS – GIK Sports Society
- GMS – GIK Mathematics Society
- GSS – Graduate Students Society
- IET Institute of Engineering and Technology – GIK Students Chapter
- IEEE – GIK Chapter
- IEEE – Women In Engineering (WIE) GIK Chapter
- LDS – Literary and Debating Society
- MediaClub Most exclusive society in GIKI. It cover almost all the events. Every single year movies are released which highlights the societal problems. Media has played a crucial role in collaboration with other media houses in development of Media role. There is a Volunteer call every year for Freshman. 
- NAQSH Arts Society
- NETRONiX – Society of student administrators maintaining GIK's local area network
- Project Topi
- GIK Science Society
- Scribes – Writing Team
- SMEP – Society of Mechanical Engineers of Pakistanwebsite
- SOPHEP – Society for the Promotion of Higher Education Pakistan
- SPIE – Society for Photo-optical Instrumentation Engineerswebsite[permanent dead link]
- WES – Women Engineers Society
- List of engineering universities in Pakistan
- Project topi
- List of accidents and incidents involving military aircraft (2000–09)#2008 – for the aircraft crash at campus.
- WebTeam, The GIKI. "Campus". GIK Institute. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- WebTeam, The GIKI. "About GIK". GIK Institute. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "HEC releases the rankings". TEX. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- HEC Ranking. "HEC Ranking". HEC Ranking. Archived from the original on 13 November 2013. Retrieved 16 September 2013.
- "On institutions – Dr A Q Khan". Thenews.com.pk. 2011-02-07. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Ghulam Ishaq Khan Institute of Engineering Sciences and Technology – Campus". Giki.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- "GIKI Campus Buildings". GIKI. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- Muhammad Ali Piracha (29 February 2008). "Raja Jahanzeb -- a legend". Jang News. Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 10 December 2014.
- "GIKI Entry Test Format – A Snapshot". Pakprep.com. 2014-04-29. Retrieved 2015-04-10.
- "Faculty of Engineering Sciences". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Faculty of Computer Sciences and Engineering". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- "Faculty of Material Sciences and Engineering". The GIKI WebTeam. Archived from the original on 2013-01-26.
- WebTeam, GIKI. "GIKI IT Facilities". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 9 February 2013.
- WebTeam, The GIKI. "The-Incubator". GIK Institute. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "GIKI Gets 100 Million from KP Govt for Entrepreneurship Development". Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- "'The INCUBATOR' of GIKI receives Rs. 100 million grant from KPK Government | The News Teller". www.thenewsteller.com. Retrieved 2016-03-10.
- WebTeam, GIKI. "The GIKI WebTeam". The GIKI WebTeam. Retrieved 15 March 2014.
- "About GIKI – GIK Institute". giki.edu.pk. Retrieved 2012-03-05.
- Asif Khan (29 March 2012). "The Cultural Dramatics & Entertainment Society is geared up for its 14th All Pakistan Performing Arts". The News International. Archived from the original on 2012-04-02.
- "NAQSH all Pakistan Art Festival At GIKI | Xnews – GIKI". 2010-10-11. Archived from the original on 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "UGX 2010: Biggest Gaming Event in GIKI | Xnews – GIKI". 2010-11-30. Archived from the original on 2012-04-07. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Career building seminar held at GIKI | Pakistan Today | Latest news, Breaking news, Pakistan News, World news, business, sport and multimedia". Pakistan Today. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "Advancement: GIKI holds education expo – The Express Tribune". Tribune.com.pk. 2011-02-26. Retrieved 2011-12-23.
- "A Tribute to Raja Jahanzeb – A Legend (Youth Magazine)". Archived from the original on 22 February 2014. Retrieved 1 October 2014.
- Modelling and Simulation of Explosion Effectiveness as a Function of Blast and Crowd Characteristics