Standard artwork (U.S. CD single pictured)
|Single by R. Kelly|
|from the album Chocolate Factory|
|Released||November 5, 2002|
|Length||3:16 (original version)|
6:25 (full version)
|R. Kelly singles chronology|
|Chocolate Factory track listing|
"Ignition (Remix)" is a song written and produced by American R&B singer R. Kelly. It was released in 2002 as the lead single from his sixth studio album Chocolate Factory (2003). It is viewed as one of his most well-known songs and has been popular in the United States, Europe and Oceania.
"Ignition (Remix)" peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100. Outside the United States, the song topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland and the United Kingdom. It was later included on the updated version of Rolling Stone's 500 greatest songs of all time in 2010 at number 494. The song was listed at #19 on Pitchfork Media's top 500 songs of the 2000s.
- 1 Background
- 2 Song structure
- 3 Music video
- 4 Live performances
- 5 Chart performance
- 6 Reception
- 7 Soundtrack appearances
- 8 Covers
- 9 Parodies
- 10 Samples and interpolations
- 11 Other legacy
- 12 Formats and track listings
- 13 Credits and personnel
- 14 Charts and certifications
- 15 Ignition (Viceroy Remix)
- 16 References
- 17 External links
The original song "Ignition" was first recorded in 2002 after the alleged statutory rape tape was a hot topic in the media. The original "Ignition" was originally going to be one of the songs on his forthcoming album at that time called Loveland; the album got leaked later on, and Kelly decided to turn Loveland to Chocolate Factory, record mostly new songs and remix some of the songs on that album. "Ignition" was one of the songs he decided to remix after people in the studio liked the end part of the song, which would later become the intro to the remix.
The song is sometimes called simply "Ignition" colloquially and for marketing purposes, including as the title of one of its releases as a single and on the Billboard charts. While it shares the song title with the original version of "Ignition", the remix version is most commonly referred to in writing to avoid confusion with the original. The two songs share some instrumental elements (guitars and percussion) but are otherwise completely different.
The original "Ignition" was released first to urban contemporary radio stations although it never officially charted on Billboard in this manner at first. At the end of the song, Kelly gives the listeners "a lil' preview of the remix", which includes only the first verse then fades out. The "remix to Ignition" was released weeks later to urban and Top 40 pop stations, and it gained significantly more attention. While many stations never played the original but opted for the remix only, others played both songs, merged, at six minutes total; it was structured that way on the Chocolate Factory album.
The song contains a minor sample from the intro of R. Kelly's 2001 hit song "Fiesta (Remix)". Additionally, the original version opens with the same spoken-word intro that originally appeared in his earlier hit "You Remind Me of Something".
The music video was shot in a club where Kelly is seen wearing a Celtics jersey. The club is meant to be the inside of a stretch Club Hummer limousine. He is also seen in a different part of the club wearing a white fur coat. Nick Cannon is also featured in the music video as the DJ. David N. Feldman also makes a cameo as the dancing white hipster. The music video is directed by Bille Woodruff, who has directed numerous other videos for Kelly.
Kelly often performs "Ignition (Remix)" at events and concerts; he has sung this song three times at the BET Awards show to date (2003, 2004 and 2013).
In 2013, R. Kelly surprised the crowd at the music festival Coachella coming in to the stage and performing a mash-up between "Ignition (Remix)" and "1901" with French rock band Phoenix; a year later, Kelly again surprised the crowd with the song, this time at Lollapalooza with Chance the Rapper.
"Ignition (Remix)" was a huge success for Kelly. In the United States, it peaked at number two on the Billboard Hot 100 for five consecutive weeks behind 50 Cent's "In da Club" and became his most successful song in the United States in the 2000s.
In the United Kingdom, the song debuted and peaked at the top of the UK Singles Chart, where it remained for four weeks, becoming Kelly's second number-one song in Britain after "I Believe I Can Fly" in April 1997. In April 2013, a decade after its initial release, "Ignition (Remix)" re-entered the UK Singles Chart at number 43.
"Ignition (Remix)" also topped the charts in Australia, New Zealand and the Republic of Ireland.
The song also peaked at number two on the 2003 Billboard Year-End Chart, yet again behind "In da Club". Due to the success of this song and other songs by Kelly the same year, this also made him number two on the "Year End Best Artist" chart, behind 50 Cent.
The remix received positive reviews from both critics and fans upon release.
The remix was included on the updated version of Rolling Stone's 500 greatest songs of all time in 2010 at number 494. The song was listed at #19 on Pitchfork Media's top 500 songs of the 2000s.
- German hip-hop group K.I.Z. covered the song with entirely new (German language) lyrics, as "Was willst du machen?" ("What do you want to do?"), on their 2006 mixtape Böhse Enkelz.
- Alain Clark covered the song on the 2011 album De Wereld Draait Door Recordings.
- Jinja Safari covered the song for the 2012 compilation album Triple J: Like a Version, Volume 8.
- In 2013, the band Rixton covered the song and released an official music video of the band performing it. They later performed it on The Ellen DeGeneres Show and other shows.
Television and radio performances
- In 2011, The Dartmouth Aires covered the song on the talent show The Sing-Off.
- In 2014, The Ragtime Gals (Jimmy Fallon and others) did a barbershop quartet version of this song which they performed on The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon.
- In 2014, A Great Big World covered the song on the show On Air with Ryan Seacrest; this also happens to be Ryan Seacrest's favorite song.
- In 2014, "Catfish and the Bottlemen" covered the song for 'Like a Version' on the Australian radio show Triple J.
- In 2014, Jess Glynne has covered the song on BBC 1Xtra Live Lounge and other radio stations.
- In 2011, Joseph Gordon-Levitt covered the remix live in front of a crowd.
- In 2013, Tyler Hilton and Teddy Geiger covered the song on their live show.
- In 2014, Maroon 5 lead vocalist Adam Levine covered this song at The Voice coaches concert; the song is also one of his favorite songs.
- In 2014, British singer Robbie Williams featured a comical a cappella version of the song, very similar in style to the Tonight Show barbershop quartet version, as part of his Swings Both Ways Live tour.
- In 2012, Young the Giant covered the song for the website The A.V. Club's "A.V. Undercover" series.
- In 2013, James Dalby covered the song on YouTube, which later became viral.
- In 2015, Postmodern Jukebox covered the song with Rayvon Owen on vocals.
- In 2013, British band The Vamps covered the song as a mash-up with "Why'd You Only Call Me When You're High" on BBC Radio 1.
- In 2014, AJR sang a mash-up of "All About That Bass" and "Ignition (Remix)", in New York City.
- Phoebe Ryan's song "Ignition/Do You", from her 2015 EP Mine, is a mash-up of "Ignition (Remix)" and Miguel's song "Do You...".
The sketch comedy show Chappelle's Show had a 2003 skit parodying the R. Kelly sex tape, which consisted of music videos for the fictional songs "Piss On You" and "Piss On You (Remix)". "Piss On You" parodied the 2001 R. Kelly song "Feelin' on Yo Booty", while "Piss On You (Remix)" parodied "Ignition (Remix)".
Samples and interpolations
A portion of Michael Jackson's Private Home Movies, a 2003 compilation of home movies which Jackson recorded throughout his life and narrated, showed him dancing to "Ignition (Remix)" in the back of Brett Ratner's car during a 2003 vacation in Miami, Florida. Kelly, who claimed to have been unsuccessfully asked by Jackson to write a song similar to "Ignition (Remix)" for Jackson's use, later stated in 2009 after having seen the clip on the Web that "I cried when I first saw it on YouTube[...]I've written a lot of songs, I've been around the world, and I've won all kinds of awards and everything else, but[...]nothing told me, I didn't know I had made it until I saw Michael Jackson in the back of that car singing and dancing to my song 'Ignition'. That's when it became official. I've been in the business for over 20 years, but that's when it became official to me that Kels is here, baby."
In March 2013, a petition was launched on We the People requesting that the U.S. national anthem be changed from "The Star-Spangled Banner" to "Ignition (Remix)". Referencing the song's lyrics, the petition stated that "We, the undersigned, would like the Obama administration to recognise the need for a new national anthem, one that even a decade after its creation, is still hot and fresh out the kitchen."
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Ignition (Remix)" – 3:07
Credits and personnel
Charts and certifications
Ignition (Viceroy Remix)
|"Ignition (Viceroy Remix)"|
|Single by Viceroy & R. Kelly|
|Released||2 December 2014|
|Viceroy singles chronology|
|R. Kelly singles chronology|
"Ignition (Viceroy Remix)" or "Ignition (Viceroy "Jet Life" Remix)" is a 2014 remix to "Ignition (Remix)", the song was released on iTunes as a single. The remix was made by "Viceroy" as it says on the title. The song was uploaded to R. Kelly's Vevo the same day and also on his Spotify account.
Formats and track listings
- Digital download
- "Ignition (Viceroy Remix)" – 3:43
- "R. Kelly, 'Ignition (Remix)' | 100 Best Songs of the 2000s". Rolling Stone. 2011-06-17. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Roberts, David (2006). British Hit Singles & Albums (19th ed.). London: Guinness World Records Limited. pp. 685–6. ISBN 1-904994-10-5.
- "Billboard Year-End Chart-Toppers: 2003". Rock On The Net. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "R. Kelly, 'Ignition (Remix)' | 500 Greatest Songs of All Time". Rolling Stone. 2011-04-07. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- ""Ignition" cover by Rixton on YouTube". Retrieved April 3, 2014.
- "The Ragtime Gals: Ignition (Remix)". YouTube. 2014-02-18. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "On Air with Ryan Seacrest - News & More from the Live Radio Show". Ryanseacrest.com. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Jess Glynne covers R. Kelly's Ignition in the 1Xtra Live Lounge". YouTube. 2014-07-08. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Jess Glynne - ignition (R.Kelly Cover) - live and acoustic @ ENERGY". YouTube. 2014-08-12. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Billboard (2014-12-09). "Adam Levine Sings R. Kelly's 'Ignition (Remix)' at Annual 'Voice' Concert". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- ""Young The Giant covers R. Kelly" on YouTube". Retrieved April 4, 2014.
- "Ignition(remix) - James Dalby (R Kelly Cover)". YouTube. 2013-01-29. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Ignition (remix) - Vintage Sinatra Style Swing R. Kelly Cover ft. Rayvon Owen". YouTube. 2015-12-11. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "Ignition (Remix) + All About That Bass - AJR Cover". YouTube. 2014-11-20. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- Billboard (2015-02-23). "Phoebe Ryan Follows R. Kelly/Miguel Mash-Up With Amazing Debut Single". Billboard. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- swtchell (June 30, 2009). "Michael Jackson dancing to Ignition". YouTube.
- GeniusOfRKelly (July 30, 2012). "R. Kelly Speaks On Michael Jackson Dancing To 'Ignition (Remix)'". YouTube.
- "Sign This Petition to Make R. Kelly's "Ignition (Remix)" Our National Anthem". Idolator.
- "Pictures of 13 Petitions Started By Music Fans". NME.
- "R. Kelly – Chocolate Factory Album Personnel". AllMusic. Rovi Corporation. December 2, 2014. Retrieved December 2, 2014.
- "Australian-charts.com – R. Kelly – Ignition Remix". ARIA Top 50 Singles.
- "Ultratop.be – R. Kelly – Ignition" (in Dutch). Ultratop 50.
- "Ultratop.be – R. Kelly – Ignition" (in French). Ultratip.
- "Brazil" (PDF). ABPD. October 6, 2001. Retrieved April 1, 2014.
- "Lescharts.com – R. Kelly – Ignition Remix" (in French). Les classement single.
- "Offiziellecharts.de – R. Kelly – Ignition". GfK Entertainment Charts.
- "The Irish Charts – Search Results – Ignition". Irish Singles Chart.
- "Nederlandse Top 40 – week 15, 2003" (in Dutch). Dutch Top 40
- "Dutchcharts.nl – R. Kelly – Ignition" (in Dutch). Single Top 100.
- "Charts.nz – R. Kelly – Ignition Remix". Top 40 Singles.
- "Official Scottish Singles Sales Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Swedishcharts.com – R. Kelly – Ignition Remix". Singles Top 100.
- "Swisscharts.com – R. Kelly – Ignition Remix". Swiss Singles Chart.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.
- "Official R&B Singles Chart Top 40". Official Charts Company.
- "R. Kelly Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "R. Kelly Chart History (Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs)". Billboard.
- "R. Kelly Chart History (Pop Songs)". Billboard.
- "R. Kelly Chart History (Rhythmic)". Billboard.
- "ARIA Charts – End of Year Charts – Top 100 Singles 2003". Australian Recording Industry Association. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "2003 Year End Charts". Irish Recorded Music Association. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "Top Selling Singles of 2003". Recording Industry Association of New Zealand. Retrieved January 2, 2013.
- "End of Year Charts: 2003" (PDF). UKChartsPlus.
- "2003 Year End Charts – The Billboard Hot 100 Singles & Tracks". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- "2003 Year End Charts – R&B/Hip-Hop Singles & Tracks". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved January 3, 2012.
- Radio 1 Chart of the Decade, as presented by DJ Nihal on December 29, 2009
- "The Billboard Hot 100 Singles & Tracks - Decade Year End Charts". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved April 18, 2011.
- "Hot 100 turns 60". Billboard. Retrieved August 1, 2018.
- "ARIA Charts – Accreditations – 2003 Singles". Australian Recording Industry Association.
- "New Zealand single certifications – R. Kelly – Ignition (Remix)". Recorded Music NZ.
- "British single certifications – R. Kelly – Ignition (Remix)". British Phonographic Industry. Select singles in the Format field. Select Platinum in the Certification field. Type Ignition (Remix) in the "Search BPI Awards" field and then press Enter.
- Copsey, Rob (September 19, 2017). "The UK's Official Chart 'millionaires' revealed". Official Charts Company. Retrieved March 16, 2018.
- "Ignition (Viceroy Remix) - Single av R. Kelly på Apple Music". Itunes.apple.com. 2014-12-02. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "R. Kelly - Ignition (Viceroy Remix)". YouTube. 2014-12-02. Retrieved 2017-05-30.
- "iTunes - Music - Ignition (Viceroy Remix) - Single by Viceroy & R. Kelly". iTunes.