List of Estonian Americans
This is a list of notable Estonian-Americans, including both original immigrants who obtained American citizenship and their American descendants.
|Lists of Americans|
|By U.S. state|
|By ethnicity or nationality|
To be included in this list, the person must have a Wikipedia article showing they are Estonian American or must have references showing they are Estonian American and are notable.
Arts and literature
- Alar Kivilo — member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences, cinematographer
- Kristjan Järvi — symphony conductor
- Neeme Järvi — symphony conductor. Moved to the US in 1981
- Paavo Järvi — current Music Director of the Cincinnati Symphony Orchestra
- Tõnu Kalam — pianist and symphony conductor
- Mark Kostabi — artist
- Paul Kostabi — artist, music producer
- Louis Kahn — architect, designer of the Salk Institute, Kimbell Art Museum, and others
- Raymond Pettibon — artist, designer of the iconic Black Flag (band) bars
- Bill Rebane — film director
- Ene Riisna — television producer
- Jerry Saltz (Estonian father) — art critic
- Helen Tobias-Duesberg — composer
- Priit Vesilind — author, photojournalist
- Matti Kaups, Ph.D — professor of geography at the University of Minnesota-Duluth
- Theodor Kolobow, M.D. — Scientific Inventor Thoracic Surgeon and Section Chief at National Heart, Lung and Blood Institute (1962-2007), Inventor of Spiral Lung  His invention was patented in January 1970 as an “Artificial Organ for Membrane Dialysis of Biological Fluids” and has been in production in various applications for over 40 years. In the 1970s, he improved flow across membranes in the Extracorporeal Membrane Oxygenator (ECMO) 
- August Komendant — Professor of Architecture at University of Pennsylvania (1959–74), Structural Engineer for Louis Kahn
- Toivo U. Raun, Ph.D — Historian the author of Estonia and the Estonians
- Jaak Panksepp — neuroscientist and psychobiologist
- Mare Taagepera Ph.D — Senior Lecturer Emeritus, Chemistry School of Physical Sciences, University of California, Irvine, University of Tartu Estonia. Honorary Member of the Estonian Chemical Society
- Rein Taagepera Ph.D — Research Professor, Political science, University of California, Irvine; Professor Emeritus, University of Tartu, Estonia
- Alar Toomre, Jüri Toomre — astronomers and mathematicians
- Lauri Vaska — chemist
This section's factual accuracy is disputed. (December 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- Erika Eleniak — Playboy Playmate and actress
- Greg Ginn — guitarist of Black Flag
- Mena Suvari — actress (Estonian father)
- Miliza Korjus — singer, actress
- Johann Urb — actor and former model
- Maire Aunaste — TV show host, lived sometime in USA
- Jaan Ehlvest — chess player
- Michael Roos — football player
- Margus Hunt — football player
- John Roosma — Basketball Hall of Famer
- Ralph Tamm — football player
- Michael Josselson — the secretary general for the Congress for Cultural Freedom
- Jaan Laaman — leftist activist, prisoner
- Samuel H. Shapiro — governor of Illinois.
- Edmund S. Valtman — political cartoonist
- Aleksander Einseln — former Commander-in-chief of the Estonian army (dual U.S. and Estonian citizenship)
- Tiiu Kera — retired United States Air Force (USAF) major general.
- Alar Kivilo @ MPAS Archived 2007-06-20 at the Wayback Machine.
- Estonian: Alar Kivilo interview at postimees.ee
-  "...under the rising 38-year-old Estonian-American conductor Kristjan Järvi..."
- [permanent dead link] "Estonian-American conductor Neeme Jarvi..."
-  "The Estonian-American conductor, Paavo Järvi..."
-  "The most well-known of Estonian/American artists is the infamous Mark Kostabi..."
- Eastern Europe By Richard C. Frucht -Page 93 ISBN 978-1-57607-800-6 born to Estonian exiles in California
- "The complete list is: Peeter Kolk, Dianne Bowen, Külliki Talp, Ilse Leetaru, Mark Kostabi, Paul Indrek Kostabi..."
-  "As the great Estonian-American architect wrote..."
-  "Pettibon's mother was an Estonian, who fled to the United States during World War II ..."
-  "I still spoke with a strong European accent as I had immigrated to the United States only 10 years earlier as an Estonian refugee via Germany and was experiencing, in reality and the real sense of the word, "the American Dream.”"
- "Jerry Saltz and the Future of the Critic-Artist | artnet News". artnet News. 2016-12-09. Retrieved 2017-07-12.
-  "But in the last years of her life spent in Savannah, the Estonian-American composer came around to see things differently."
- [permanent dead link] "Mai sought out an old Geislingen playmate, Estonian-American Priit Vesilind..."
- "TLÜAR väliseesti isikud". isik.tlulib.ee. Retrieved 2016-04-08.
- "Archived copy" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2013-01-19. Retrieved 2012-12-05.
- University of Pennsylvania School of Design Archived 2012-02-13 at the Wayback Machine.
- Integrated Buildings By Leonard R. Bachman; p. 91 ISBN 978-0-471-46774-8 "Louis Kahn's engineer and fellow Estonian..."
- Toivo U. Raun @ Indiana University Archived 2007-12-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- Toivo Raun, an Estonian-American historian @ BAFSA
- Estonia and the Estonians By Toivo U. Raun ISBN 0-8179-9131-X
- Panksepp, J (1992). "A critical role for "affective neuroscience" in resolving what is basic about basic emotions". Psychological Review. 99 (3): 554–60. doi:10.1037/0033-295X.99.3.554. PMID 1502276.
- Who's Who in Sciences Academia
- Estonian: Mare Taagepera @ ut.ee
- Mare Taagepera @ the Estonian Chemical Society Archived 2007-06-10 at the Wayback Machine.
- Rein Taagepera @ University of California, Irvine
-  "According to leading Estonian-American political scientist Rein Taagepera..."
- Remarkable Estonian astronomers @ Tartu Space observatory
- Alar Toomre @ Encyclopædia Britannica
-  "Estonian/American chemist"
- "...his mother was an immigrant from Estonia."
- Ehlvest, Jaan (2004). The Story of a Chess Player. Arbiter Publishing. ISBN 0-9763891-0-X.
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-05-17. Retrieved 2006-05-17. "Roos is believed to be the first Estonian native to play in the NFL..."
-  "Hunt got drafted to NFL in 2013."
- "Archived copy". Archived from the original on 2006-04-25. Retrieved 2006-05-17. "Steve Jurvetson, the 34-year-old Silicon Valley venture capitalist extraordinaire, and second-generation Estonian American..."
- JSTOR ...Michael Josselson, himself of Estonian origins
- Powers, Richard. Not Without Honor. Yale University Press. p. 211. ISBN 978-0-300-07470-3. naturalized American of Jewish-Estonian background
-  "Jaan Laaman grew up in Roxbury and Buffalo NY. Hisfamily emigrated to the U.S. from Estonia when he was a child."
- The Estonians in America, 1627-1975: a chronology & fact book
-  Center For Immigration Studies: Dual Citizenship and American National Identity. Renshon, Stanley A.
- Astbury Methodist Village Retrieved 27 April 2017.