List of tallest buildings in Sydney
Sydney, the largest city in Australia, is home to 1,168 completed high-rise buildings, the most in an Australian city. Although the tallest buildings in the city were traditionally predominantly concentrated in the central business district, suburbs within the Sydney metropolitan area, such as Chatswood and Parramatta have seen a growth in the development of high rises and skyscrapers in recent years
As of October 2018, the entire city (including metropolitan suburbs) has 36 buildings that rise at least 150 metres (490 ft) in height – the second–highest number of skyscrapers in Australia.
The earliest high-rise constructed in Sydney was Culwulla Chambers, which stands at a height of 50 metres (160 ft) and was completed in 1912. Designed by Spain, Cosh and Minnett, the building consisted of 14 floors and cost £100,000 to build, equivalent of approximately $1 million in today's money.
Sydney originally had a 46-metre (151 ft) height limit that was enforced until 1957. The abolition of this limit saw a construction boom for skyscrapers and buildings beginning in the early 1960s with the construction of the Australia Square, notable for being the world's tallest light weight concrete building at the time it was built and is also notable for being the first skyscraper in Australia. Since August 1981, the tallest structure in Sydney is the Sydney Tower, at 309 m (1,014 ft). However, according to the international standard of the Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat, observation towers are not fully habitable and do not count as buildings. Hence, the tallest building in Sydney is the Chifley Tower, which was completed in 1992 and stands at 244 m (801 ft). It is also the tenth-tallest building in Australia.
A recent 235-metre (771 ft) height restriction implementation has slowed Sydney's high-rise developments. However, this height restriction was lifted in 2016 which now allows buildings to be built as high as 310 metres (1,020 ft) on condition that public spaces are not overshadowed.
Tallest buildings and structures 150m+ (492ft+)
This is a list of the tallest buildings in the city, which measures all structures to the highest architectural detail.
|Rank||Name||Image||Height (m)||Height (ft)||Floors||Year||Purpose||Location||Address||Notes|
|–||Sydney Tower||309||1014||19||1981||Observation Tower||CBD||100 Market Street||Although the tallest structure in Sydney, Sydney Tower is not considered a habitable building by the CTBUH as it is primarily an observation tower. 275 m to roof.|
|1||Chifley Tower||244||801||50||1992||Commercial||CBD||2 Chifley Square||Officially the tallest building in Sydney since 1992. It was one of the most expensive buildings in the world at A$1.2 billion. Designed by Kohn Pedersen Fox.|
|2||Citigroup Centre||243||797||50||2000||Commercial||CBD||2 Park Street||Designed by Crone Partners|
|3||Deutsche Bank Place||240||787||39||2005||Commercial||CBD||126 Phillip Street||The second-tallest building in the world with fewer than 40 floors (Al Faisaliyah Center (Riyadh) is taller at 267m). 160m to roof. Designed by Norman Foster.|
|4||Meriton World Tower||230||754||75||2004||Residential||CBD||85 Liverpool Street||Tallest residential building in Sydney since 2004. Tallest building in Sydney without a spire. Part of the World Square complex. Designed by Nation Fender Katsalidis.|
|5||MLC Centre||228||748||60||1977||Commercial||CBD||19 Martin Place||244m to antenna and 227m to roof. Tallest building in Sydney from 1977 to 1992. Designed by Harry Seidler.|
|6||Governor Phillip Tower||227||745||54||1993||Commercial||CBD||1 Farrer Place||254m to antenna and 227m to roof. Tallest Building in Sydney to antenna. Designed by Denton Corker Marshall.|
|7||Ernst & Young Tower||222||728||45||2004||Commercial||CBD||680 George Street||190m to roof. Part of the World Square complex.|
|8||RBS Tower||219||718||41||2000||Commercial||CBD||88 Phillip Street||More commonly known as Aurora Place but officially RBS Tower. 188m to roof. Designed by Renzo Piano.|
|9||International Tower 1||217||711||49||2016||Commercial||Barangaroo||100 Barangaroo Avenue||Designed by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners.|
|10||ANZ Tower||195||639||46||2013||Commercial||CBD||161 Castlereagh Street||Designed by Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp|
|11||Suncorp Place||193||633||48||1982||Commercial||CBD||259 George Street||Construction began in 1970 and was not completed until 1982, as the project was delayed many times.|
|12||AMP Centre||188||616||45||1976||Commercial||CBD||50 Bridge Street||Tallest building in Sydney from 1976–1977. Currently undergoing major redevelopment/refurbishment, will become Quay Quarter Tower. Designed by Peddle Thorp & Walker.|
|13||Century Tower||183||600||50||1997||Residential||CBD||343 Pitt Street||Tallest residential building in Sydney from 1997–2004.|
|14||Grosvenor Place||180||590||45||1988||Commercial||CBD||225 George Street||Designed by Harry Seidler.|
|15||International Tower 2||178||583||43||2015||Commercial||Barangaroo||200 Barangaroo Avenue||Designed by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners.|
|16||Altitude Apartments - Tower A||177||581||55||2017||Residential||Parramatta||330 Church Street|
|17||Capita Centre||173||567||31||1989||Commercial||CBD||9 Castlereagh Street||Designed by Harry Seidler.|
|=18||Australia Square Tower||170||557||46||1967||Commercial||CBD||264 George Street||Tallest building in Sydney from 1967–1976. Designed by Harry Seidler.|
|=18||Meriton Tower||170||557||48||2006||Residential||CBD||551 George Street||Designed by Harry Seidler.|
|=18||Metro Grand Residences||170||557||40||2014||Residential||Chatswood||438 Victoria Avenue|||
|=21||The Peak Apartments||168||551||46||1996||Residential||Haymarket||2 Quay Street||Tallest residential building in Sydney from 1996–1997. Part of the Market City complex.|
|=21||International Tower 3||168||551||40||2016||Commercial||Barangaroo||300 Barangaroo Avenue||Designed by Rogers Stirk Harbour + Partners.|
|=23||1 O'Connell Street||N/A||166||544||36||1991||Commercial||CBD||1 O'Connell Street||Designed by Peddle Thorp & Walker.|
|=23||Westpac Place||166||544||35||2005||Commercial||CBD||275 Kent Street||Designed by Johnson Pilton Walker|
|25||201 Elizabeth Street||165||541||40||1978||Commercial||CBD||201 Elizabeth Street||There are plans to demolish the building to build a new 174m residential building|
|26||Gateway Plaza||164||538||46||1989||Commercial||CBD||1 Macquarie Place||Designed by Peddle Thorp & Walker.|
|27||HSBC Centre||162||531||37||1988||Commercial||CBD||580 George Street|
|28||Cove Apartments||158||518||45||2003||Residential||CBD||129 Harrington Street||Designed by Harry Seidler.|
|29||Hordern Towers||N/A||156||511||48||1999||Residential||CBD||401 Pitt Street||Part of the World Square Complex.|
|=30||200 George Street||155||508||40||2015||Commercial||CBD||200 George Street||Designed by Francis-Jones Morehen Thorp.|
|=30||Metro Spire Residences||155||508||37||2014||Residential||Chatswood||440 Victoria Avenue|||
|=32||100 Mount Street||N/A||152||498||39||2019||Commercial||North Sydney||100 Mount Street||Currently topped out as of October 2018. Expected to be completed in 2019|
|=32||Angel Place||N/A||152||498||35||2000||Commercial||CBD||123 Pitt Street||Designed by Peddle Thorp & Walker.|
|=32||Sydney Central||N/A||152||498||31||1992||Commercial||CBD||477 Pitt Street|
|=35||85 Castlereagh Street||151||495||32||2011||Commercial||CBD||85 Castlereagh Street||Part of the Sydney Tower complex. Designed by John Wardle Architects.|
|=35||Lumière Residences||151||495||47||2007||Residential||CBD||487 George Street||Designed by Norman Foster.|
Buildings above 200 metres in height
Tallest buildings proposed, approved and under construction
|505 George Street||274||899||80||Residential||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|Crown Sydney||271||889||75||Mixed Use||2020/2021||Barangaroo||Under construction|
|197 Church Street||266||873||80||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|20-22 Macquarie Street||265||869||85||Mixed Use||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|Circular Quay Tower||263||863||54||Commercial||TBA||Sydney CBD||Approved|
|One Sydney Harbour Tower 1||247||810||70||Residential||2023||Barangaroo||Approved|
|338 Pitt Street||240||790||68||Residential||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|Greenland Centre Sydney||237||778||68||Residential||2019||Sydney CBD||Under construction|
|133 Liverpool Street||235||771||70||Mixed Use||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|Aspire Parramatta||233||764||56||Commercial||2021/22||Parramatta||Under construction|
|Ritz-Carlton Hotel||231||758||65||Mixed Use||2020||Pyrmont||Proposed|
|7 Hassall Street||220||720||63||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|2 O'Connell Street||217||712||66||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|Quay Quarter Tower||216||709||54||Commercial||2020||Sydney CBD||Under Construction|
|100 Christie Street||215||705||65||Mixed Use||TBA||St Leonards||Proposed|
|48 Macquarie Street||210||690||61||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|One Sydney Harbour Tower 2||207||679||60||Residential||2023||Barangaroo||Approved|
|4-6 Bligh Street||205||673||55||Mixed Use||2020||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|112 Talavera Road - Building B||205||673||60||Residential||TBA||Macquarie Park||Proposed|
|8 Phillip Street||200||660||58||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Approved|
|1 Alfred Street||197||646||59||Residential||2020||Sydney CBD||Under Construction|
|Fiveways Triangle Site - North Tower||193||633||60||Residential||2023||Crows Nest||Proposed|
|12 Hassall Street||192||630||61||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|Darling Park Tower 4||192||630||46||Commercial||TBA||Darling Harbour||Proposed|
|St Leonards Central Tower 1||190||620||55||Mixed Use||TBA||St Leonards||Proposed|
|286-300 Church Street||190||620||~60||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|87 Church Street||187||614||55||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|142 Macquarie Street||180||590||32||Mixed Use||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|180 George Street Tower 1||180||590||55||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|180 George Street Tower 2||180||590||50||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|86-88 Walker Street||179||587||48||Mixed Use||TBA||North Sydney||Proposed|
|Westfield Tower||175||574||40 -||Commercial||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|617-621 Pacific Highway||175||574||50||Mixed Use||TBA||St Leonards||Proposed|
|201 Elizabeth Street||174||571||51||Residential||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|Martin Place Metro Tower||174||571||40||Commercial||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|295 Church Street||173||568||50||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|New Life||172||564||55||Residential||TBA||St Leonards||Proposed|
|45 Victor Street||170||560||50||Residential||TBA||Chatswood||Proposed|
|City Tattersalls Club Tower||168||551||48||Mixed Use||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|St Leonards Central Tower 2||168||551||48||Mixed Use||TBA||St Leonards||Proposed|
|189 Macquarie Street North Tower||167||548||54||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||On Hold|
|Victoria Cross Metro Station Tower||167||548||40||Commercial||2023||North Sydney||Proposed|
|33 Bligh Street||165||541||30||Commercial||TBA||Sydney CBD||On Hold|
|Pitt Street Metro Station Tower 1||164||538||47||Mixed Use||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|Fiveways Triangle Site - South Tower||162||531||50||Residential||2023||Crows Nest||Proposed|
|1 Denison Street (Channel Nine Studios)||159||522||39||Commercial||2020||North Sydney||Under Construction|
|Norwest City Marketown - Tower B1||158||518||44||Mixed Use||TBA||Baulkham Hills||Proposed|
|116 Macquarie Street||156||512||48||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|41 McLaren Street||156||512||45||Mixed Use||TBA||North Sydney||Proposed|
|173 - 179 Walker Street||156||512||47||Residential||TBA||North Sydney||Proposed|
|55 Pitt Street||156||512||Commercial||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|74 Church Street||155||509||44||Mixed Use||TBA||Parramatta||Proposed|
|6 Parramatta Square||154||505||31||Commercial||2020||Parramatta||Under Construction|
|100 Mount Street||152||499||38||Commercial||2019||North Sydney||Topped Out|
|The Landmark||152||499||46||Residential||TBA||St Leonards||Under Construction|
|The Lennox||152||499||41||Residential||TBA||Parramatta||Under Construction|
|59 Goulburn Street||150||490||40||Mixed Use||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|112 Talavera Road - Building D||150||490||45||Residential||TBA||Macquarie Park||Proposed|
|Pitt Street Metro Station Tower 2||150||490||35||Mixed Use||TBA||Sydney CBD||Proposed|
|Crows Nest Metro Tower 1||150||490||27||Mixed Use||TBA||Crows Nest||Proposed|
|Crows Nest Metro Tower 2||150||490||27||Mixed Use||TBA||Crows Nest||Proposed|
|Crows Nest Metro Tower 3||150||490||17||Mixed Use||TBA||Crows Nest||Proposed|
Timeline of tallest buildings
|Name||Years as tallest||Height (m)||Height (ft)||Floors||Notes|
|St James' Church||1824–1875||52||170||-|
|Town Hall||1875–1879||57||187||4||Clock tower added in 1875.|
|Garden Palace||1879–1882||64||209||2||Destroyed by fire in 1882, site is today part of the Royal Botanic Gardens.|
|General Post Office||1891–1939||73||239||5|
|Sydney Harbour Bridge||-||134||439||-||Tallest structure in Sydney 1932–1956.|
|TCN TV Tower||-||171||561||-||Tallest structure in Sydney 1956–65, replaced by taller 233 m tower in 1965.|
|TCN TV Tower||-||233||764||-||Tallest structure in Sydney 1965–81; tallest lattice tower in Australia; replaced original 1956 tower.|
|State Office Block||1965–1967||128||419||38||Demolished in 1997 to make way for Aurora Place.|
|Australia Square Tower||1967–1976||170||557||46|
|AMP Centre||1976–1977||188||616||45||Demolished in 2018 to make way for Quay Quarter Tower.|
|Sydney Tower||-||309||1013||19||Tallest structure in Sydney 1981–present.|
|Chifley Tower||1992–present||244||801||50||Tallest building in Sydney; 10th-tallest building in Australia.|
- List of tallest buildings in Chatswood
- List of tallest buildings in Parramatta
- List of tallest buildings in Australia
- List of tallest buildings and structures in Australia
- Buildings and architecture of Sydney
- List of tallest buildings in Oceania
- "Buildings of Sydney profile". Emporis. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- Sydney - The Skyscraper Center. CTBUH. Retrieved 5 June 2016
- "existing | Buildings". Emporis. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "Sydney's tallest buildings - Top 20". Emporis. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Sydney's first skyscraper". State Library of New South Wales. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Modernism". australia.gov.au. Retrieved 19 June 2016.
- McMahon, Bill (2001). The Architecture of East Australia: An Architectural History. Edition Axel Menges. p. 64. ISBN 9783930698905.
- "Biography: Harry Seidler AC OBE LFRAIA". architecture.com.au. The Australian Institute of Architects. 2005-05-06. Retrieved 2008-05-02.
- "Planning". Dictionary of Sydney. Retrieved 11 January 2014.
- "Centrepoint Tower". Sydney Architecture. Retrieved 8 February 2011.
- "Sydney is growing while Melbourne shrinks". Retrieved 2016-07-14.
- Chifley Tower - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. 21 January 2015
- Governor Phillip Tower. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- Aurora Place - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- International Towers Tower 1 - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- Grosvenor Place - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- Tower 2 International Towers Sydney - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. 2 January 2015
- "Altitude Apartments Tower A". The Skyscraper Center. Retrieved 2016-10-20.
- Castlereagh Centre - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- Metro Grand Residences – The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Retrieved 5 June 2016
- Tower 2 International Towers Sydney - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. 5 June 2016
- Gateway Plaza - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- 200 George Street – Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Retrieved 16 December 2015
- Metro Spire Residences – The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Retrieved 5 June 2016
- 85 Castlereagh Street - The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat
- "Sydney". SkyscraperPage.com. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "City of Sydney | Buildings". Emporis. Retrieved 18 February 2012.
- "505 George Street". The Skyscraper Centre. Retrieved 18 July 2018.
- Crown Sydney Hotel and Resort – The Skyscraper Center. Council on Tall Buildings and Urban Habitat. Retrieved 4 October 2016.
- "VIG has grand plans for $156m Sydney Tower". Financial Review.
- Tower Crane Installation. greenlandcentrecommunity. Retrieved 8 December 2015
- "Greenland Centre Sydney Construction Commenced". Greenland. Retrieved 22 March 2015.
- "Construction of a new hotel and residential tower and alterations to existing building". NSW Government. Planning and Environment. Retrieved 8 January 2016.
- "Who will be the architect of Sydney's most expensive new apartment at Circular Quay?". Architecture and Design.
- "Demolition of existing structures Staged DA". NSW Government Planning and Environment.
- Sydney, Build. "Parramatta Westfield Tower is Set To Soar 40 Stories". www.buildsydney.com. Retrieved 2016-10-06.
- "Redevelopment of Harbourside Shopping Centre". NSW Government Planning and Environment. Retrieved 5 August 2016.
- "Modification to MP08_0238 - Commercial and Hotel development Berry/Walker Street". NSW Planning and Environment. Retrieved 17 November 2016.
- "Subscribe | theaustralian". www.theaustralian.com.au. Retrieved 2016-11-23.
- "New Sky Homes at Landmark Heralds St Leonards' Urban Transformation". Elite Agent Magazine. 2016-07-05. Retrieved 2016-08-27.
- "demolished | Buildings". Emporis. Retrieved 1 January 2013.
- "TCN's new tower is quite an Eiffel!". National Library of Australia. Retrieved 11 June 2013.
- Emporis (General database for Skyscrapers)