List of unlawfully killed transgender people
This is a list of transgender people who were killed unlawfully across the world; the list does not include lawful deaths, suicides, accident, or other causes. Violence against transgender people is also known as trans bashing; some of these cases cite the trans panic defence. However, an anti-trans motive is not a criterion for inclusion in this list; in most cases a motive has not been established, or the established motive is unrelated to the victim's trans status.
- 1 1980s
- 2 1990s
- 3 2000
- 4 2001
- 5 2002
- 6 2003
- 7 2004
- 8 2006
- 9 2007
- 10 2008
- 11 2010
- 12 2011
- 13 2012
- 14 2013
- 15 2014
- 16 2015
- 17 2016
- 18 2017
- 19 2018
- 20 2019
- 21 See also
- 22 References
- 23 External links
- 1988 – "Julie Doe" was discovered in Lake County, Florida along a roadside. Her remains have yet to be positively identified and homicide is strongly suspected, due to the circumstances of her death.
- 1988 – Venus Xtravaganza was strangled to death in New York City on 21 December. Her body was found four days later, shoved under a hotel bed.
- 1989 – Carla Leigh Salazar was found stabbed to death in her apartment in California.
- 1991 – Sonia Rescalvo Zafra, a 45-year-old transgender woman was killed in the Parc de la Ciutadella, in Barcelona, Spain, by six skinhead neonazis who kicked her and her friend Dori repeatedly in the head, while they were lying on the floor. Her death was a wake up call for the Spanish LGBT movement, that begun to fight publicly the violence against the LGBT community.
- 1993 – Brandon Teena, a 21-year-old trans man, was raped and murdered in Falls City, Nebraska on 31 December. Two men were convicted of first-degree murder in the incident, which became the subject of the Academy Award-winning film Boys Don't Cry.
- 1998 – Rita Hester, a transgender woman, was found on the floor of her apartment in Allston, Massachusetts on 28 November. She had suffered multiple stab wounds and later died at the hospital.
- 1999 — Tracey Thompson, a transgender woman was stabbed multiple times in Seville, Georgia on 30 March. She asked for help from some local residents who contacted authorities. Thompson later died in the hospital.
- Christine Chappel, a 28-year-old woman, whose body was found near Lowestoft, England on 2 March. Her brother-in-law, Charles Halfacree, was jailed after pleading guilty to manslaughter. Former partner Alison Hooley was also later jailed for shielding Halfacree.
- Amanda Milan was walking by Times Square, Manhattan, New York City, when Dwayne McCuller walked up and began to harass and threaten her. Milan stood up to him and asked him if he wanted to fight. Witnesses said he declined; as he walked away, another young man, Eugene Celestine, told McCuller he had a knife. McCuller grabbed it, and stabbed Milan in the neck. A man named David Anderson reportedly helped McCuller escape from the scene. Milan died soon after at St. Vincent's Hospital. Transgender activist Sylvia Rivera worked towards seeing that Milan's death was investigated and organized Milan's political funeral along with other demonstrations claiming a disconnection of transgender rights from the larger LGBT communities. After Milan's murder, Rivera reformed a transgender activist group, Street Trans Activist Revolutionaries (STAR). Rivera cited the crime among the reasons to add a broad definition of gender to the New York City Human Rights Law.
- Loni Kai, a 28-year-old transgender woman, was killed during the night of 25 August near Hillsboro, Oregon. Her murder is still unsolved.
- Gwen Araujo of Newark, California (died October 2002), an American teenage trans woman, was killed by four men, with two of whom she had had sexual relations, who beat and strangled her after discovering she was transgender. Two defendants were convicted of second-degree murder, but not convicted on the requested hate crime enhancements; the other two defendants pleaded guilty or no contest to voluntary manslaughter. In at least one of the trials, a trans panic defense – an extension of the gay panic defense – was employed.
- Nireah Johnson was an African American trans woman who was murdered in Indianapolis, Indiana by Paul Moore, who was initially sexually attracted to her and then discovered that she was transgender.
- Janice Roberts was an American transgender woman who was kidnapped by serial killer William Devin Howell on 18 June 2003. Howell later told an informant that he tried to engage Roberts in a sexual act, and strangled her when realizing that she was transgender.
- Shelby Tracy Tom was a Canadian transgender woman working as a sex worker in North Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada, who was killed by Jatin Patel on 27 May 2003. According to Patel, while having sex with her he noticed her surgery scars and he panicked as a result and strangled her; the prosecutor attempted to classify her death as a hate crime, but Supreme Court of British Columbia Justice Patrick Dohm ruled that the crime was not motivated by hate because he did not know of her transgender identity when meeting her and thus could have not targeted her for it. Patel's defense attorney used a gay panic defense as part of his defense of Patel, who pleaded guilty to a charge of manslaughter and was sentenced to nine years.
- Divas Boulanger, a 28-year-old transgender woman was murdered in Winnipeg, Manitoba. She had been missing since at least 18 October, her body was found 3 November at a rest stop just east of Portage la Prairie. Theodore Herntier was arrested, convicted, and sentenced to life imprisonment for her murder.
- Gisberta Salce Júnior, a Brazilian transgender woman, was murdered in Oporto, Portugal, by a group of 14 youths between 12 and 16 years old, who tortured and raped her for three days, and finally threw her, still alive, into a well over 15 m deep, where she drowned. Eleven of the minors received minimal sentences of under 13 months in a semi-open education center of the Instituto de Reinserção Social, and two received sentences of additional education, her death became a symbol of the violence against women and the LGBT community, and shortly after laws protecting trans women were introduced in Portugal.
- Roberto, a transgender man, was killed by two women that had found refuge in his apartment, in Madrid, Spain. Both women had been mistreating Roberto physically and psychologically for a year, before they killed him on 29 August 2007 with a brutal hit on the head. Both women were condemned to 19 years of prison.
- Latisha King was shot twice in the back of the head in a class at a computer lab on February 12, 2008 at E. O. Green Junior High School in Port Hueneme, California. She had made romantic advances towards Brandon McInerney who would often be teased as a result of her fixation with him. Prior to killing her, he had previously requested help in beating her up, but nobody showed interest.
- Angie Zapata was a trans woman murdered on 17 July 2008, in Greeley, Colorado. Her death was the first case involving a transgender victim to be ruled a hate crime. Colorado is one of only eleven states that protect transgender victims under hate crime laws in the United States. Allen Andrade, who learned eighteen-year-old Angie was transgender after meeting her and spending several days with her, beat her to death with a fire extinguisher. In his arrest affidavit, Andrade calls Zapata "it", and during his trial a tape was played of a phone conversation in which he told his girl friend "gay things need to die". Andrade's attorneys used a gay panic defense. On 22 April 2009, Andrade was found guilty of first degree murder, hate crimes, and car/ID theft, he was sentenced to life in prison without the possibility of parole.
- Lateisha "Tiesh" Green was shot and killed on 14 November 2008 outside a house party in Syracuse, New York. Convicted of Onondaga County's first hate-crime homicide, Dwight R. DeLee, was motivated by anti-LGBT bias and his belief that Green was gay.
- Stacey Blahnik, a 31-year-old trans woman, was found murdered in her Point Breeze, Philadelphia home by her boyfriend on 14 October 2010. Blahnik was remembered by friends as a "peacemaker and a caretaker" who "would give the shirt off of her back to anyone".
- Sonia Burgess was a transgender woman and leading British immigration lawyer. On 25 October 2010, she was pushed under an incoming train in London by a transgender woman acquaintance, Nina Kanagasingham.
- Victoria Carmen White, a black trans woman, was murdered in September 2010. Alrashim Chambers was brought to trial for her death, but he was acquitted; he blamed another man, Marquise Foster, for the murder; the only motive suggested was transphobic violence; the words "You a dude?" were heard by White's friends (who were in an adjacent room) shortly before gunshots were fired.
- Marcal Camero Tye was a black 25-year-old trans woman from Forrest City, Arkansas. On 8 March, an unknown individual shot her in the head and dragged her behind or under their car; the murder is to date unsolved.
- Dee Dee Pierson, a black transgender woman, was murdered on 24 December 2011. Kenyon Jones confessed to the murder, telling police that he had paid Pierson for sex and when he found out she was transgender, he became angry and killed her.
- Shelley "Treasure" Hilliard, a 19-year-old black trans woman found dismembered and burned in Detroit, Michigan. Hilliard was killed after a police officer revealed her as an informant to a suspect.
- Crain Conaway, a 47-year-old black trans woman, was beaten to death in her home in Oceanside, California on 13 January.
- Deoni Jones, a 23-year-old black trans woman, was stabbed in the face and killed on 2 February, in Washington, D.C.
- Agnés Torres Hernández, a 28-year-old trans woman activist, was murdered on 10 March in Atlixco, Puebla, Mexico.
- Rene "Rosita" Hidalgo Hernandez, a Hispanic transgender woman, was found dead on 15 March, in Miami, Florida. Police arrested her assailant Miguel Pavon, who was assumed to be one of her clients, later that year.
- Coko Williams, a 35-year-old trans woman of color, was found dead in Detroit on 4 April. She had been shot and her throat had been cut.
- Tyrell Jackson, a 23-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead on 4 April, in Riviera Beach, Florida. A friend of hers was injured in the same attack.
- Paige Clay, a 23-year-old black trans woman, was found dead on 16 April in Chicago. She had been shot in the face.
- Brandy Martell, a 37-year-old black trans woman, was shot to death on 29 April, in Oakland, California.
- Lorena Xtravaganza, a Puerto Rican trans woman, was found unconscious and unresponsive on 12 May in her Bushwick, Brooklyn, New York City apartment. Escalera's apartment was set on fire after she had been strangled then suffocated, apparently by two men whom she had brought into her home.
- Tracey Johnson, a 40-year-old trans woman, was shot to death in Baltimore, Maryland on 5 July.
- Tiffany Gooden, a 19-year-old black trans woman, was found 14 August in Chicago dead from multiple stab wounds a few blocks from where Paige Clay's body was discovered. Both murders are still unsolved.
- Deja Jones, a 33-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead on 26 August in Miami, Florida.
- Kendall Hampton, a 26-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead in Cincinnati, Ohio on 29 August.
- Kyra "Cruz" Cordova, a 27-year-old biracial trans woman, was shot in the head on 3 September, in Philadelphia.
- January Marie Lapuz was stabbed to death on 29 September, in New Westminster, Canada.
- Evon Young, a black trans man who went missing on 2 January, was later found tortured and murdered. A friend claimed five men were responsible.
- Cemia "Ce Ce" Dove a black 20-year-old trans woman, was stabbed to death in the Cleveland, Ohio area on 5 January by Andrey Bridges, authorities later confirmed. Her body was found at bottom of a pond on 17 April with a rope tying her waist to a concrete block, she had been reported missing on 27 March.
- Kelly Young, a 29-year-old black trans woman, was shot inside her home in Baltimore on 3 April, and died the next day.
- Ashley Sinclair, a 30-year-old black trans woman, was murdered on 4 April.
- Dwayne Jones, a 16-year-old transgender individual, was beaten, stabbed, and run over by a car in Jamaica, West Indies on 22 July 2013 after attending a party in gender affirming clothing for the first time.
- Islan Nettles, a 21-year-old black trans woman, was beaten to death in Harlem, New York on 17 August after a group of at least seven men accosted her and two of her transgender friends. One of the men, James Dixon, had been flirting with her. After he realized she was transgender, he struck her. After falling down, Dixon proceeded to beat her, she died of head injuries in hospital. Her death prompted a number of protests. On 21 April 2016, Dixon was sentenced 12 years in prison after pleading guilty to manslaughter.
- Domonique Newburn, a 32-year-old black trans woman, was murdered by her former boyfriend on 20 August.
- Melony Smith was found dead in a motel room in Baldwin Park, Los Angeles on 9 September. Stephen Gonzalez received a 26-year prison sentence for her death.
- Eyricka Morgan, a black trans woman, was stabbed to death in September. She died on 24 September at Robert Wood Johnson University Hospital in New Brunswick, New Jersey. Devonte Scott, 21, was arrested following Morgan's death and charged with murder, unlawful possession of a weapon, and possession of a weapon for an unlawful purpose, according to the Newark Star-Ledger.
- Jessica Vargas Bringas, aka José Manuel Vargas Bringas, a trans woman, was stabbed to death by Jonathan Hernández García on 13 October 2013, in Altamira, Mexico.
- Betty Skinner, a 52-year-old white disabled trans woman, was found dead in her assisted living complex in Cleveland on 5 December. Police believe she was beaten to death.
- Brittany-Nicole Kidd-Stergis, a black 22-year-old trans woman, was found dead in her parked car on West 25th Street in Cleveland with a gunshot wound to her head on 6 December 2013. Some of the local media was criticized for referring to her as a man while reporting on her murder, she was the third transgender woman killed in 2013 in the Cleveland area.
- Mayang Prasetyo, a 27-year-old Indonesian trans woman, was murdered in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia by her husband, Marcus Peter Volke, 28, a chef, in early October 2014. Ads reveal Ms Prasetyo charged from $200 to $500 for her services as an "international escort". Volke took his own life shortly after police found the woman's remains boiling on the stove in the couple's Brisbane flat.
- Kimberly Sody, a transgender woman, was beaten and died of her injuries 31 October in the Dominican Republic. Her killer was sentenced to 20 years in prison.
- Çağla Joker was fatally shot in Istanbul on 21 April, while another trans woman was shot but survived.
- Mahadevi, a 22-year-old disabled trans woman, was pushed off a moving train in Bangalore, India on 24 September.
- Cingene Gül was killed in her home in Istanbul on 10 October.
- Keeta Bakhsh died following a police beating on 23 October in Bahawalpur, Pakistan, that occurred while police raided her house. Police originally claimed her injuries were due to jumping from a moving police van but have since suspended the raid's leader.
- Rosa Rebut, an Indonesian trans woman, was found beaten to death in an Edmonton, Alberta, Canada, hotel on 24 November. Police arrested Marcel Cristian Niculae and charged him with second-degree murder. Niculae pleaded guilty to manslaughter, receiving an eight-year prison term in 2016.
- Kandy Hall was found dead due to massive bodily trauma by an unknown object in a field near a school in Baltimore, Maryland on 3 June.
- Zoraida "Ale" Reyes, a 28-year-old Mexican-American trans woman, was discovered on 12 June behind a Dairy Queen Restaurant in Anaheim, California. Police arrested Randy Lee Parkerson for choking her to death.
- Yaz'min Shancez, a 31-year-old black trans woman, was found dead behind a garbage bin in Fort Myers, Florida on 19 June. Her body was badly burned post-mortem.
- Tiffany Edwards, a 28-year-old black trans woman, was killed by Quamar Edwards (no relation) on 26 June in Walnut Hills, Cincinnati.
- Mia Henderson, a black trans woman, was found dead in Baltimore, Maryland on 16 July. Her murder reportedly bore similarities to the recent local murder of Kandy Hall.
- Alejandra Leos, a Latina trans woman, was shot in the back and died on 5 September in Memphis, Tennessee. A suspect was later arrested and charged with first degree murder.
- Aniya Parker, a black trans woman, was murdered on 3 October in Los Angeles during what police considered a robbery gone wrong, though the attackers did not take her purse and advocates believe she was targeted due to being transgender.
- Ashley (Michelle) Sherman, a black trans woman, was found dead with a gunshot wound to the head in Indianapolis, Indiana, on 27 October.
- Breana "Gizzy" Fowler, a black trans woman, was found shot dead outside her car in Nashville, Tennessee on 12 November.
- Deshawnda Sanchez, a 21-year-old black trans woman, was shot and killed on 3 December, in Los Angeles.
- Jennifer Laude was murdered in Olongapo, Philippines, on 11 October. Joseph Scott Pemberton was convicted of the murder. Pemberton reportedly killed her after discovering she was a pre-operative transsexual.
- Mary Jo Añonuevo was strangled and stabbed 33 times in the bar she owned in Lucena City, Philippines, on 22 October.
- Marcela Duque was stoned to death by a group of attackers on 9 September in Medellín, Colombia.
- Pamela Moreno a 24-year-old transgender woman, was struck by a vehicle and killed during an altercation and robbery in La Banda, Argentina on 3 December. A police officer with a history with Moreno was charged in her murder.
- Yoshi Tsuchida, a 38-year-old transgender man from Fussa City, Tokyo, Japan, was discovered wrapped in a blanket at his apartment on 12 November 2015. Police reported that his face had been sliced off with a sharp instrument. Pathology tests on Tsuchida's body found the cause of death to be medicinal poisoning. Tsuchida's body was discovered by his adopted daughter.
- Sumaya Dalmar, a 26-year-old Black trans woman from Toronto, Canada was found dead in a home in Toronto's Danforth Village in 2015.
During 2015 in the United States more than twenty transgender women were murdered, the largest number on record:
- Papi Edwards, a 20-year-old black trans woman from Indianapolis, Indiana and Louisville, Kentucky, died of a single bullet wound to the chest at Fern Valley Motel in Louisville on 9 January. Henry Richard Gleaves was arrested for Edwards' murder and is being held on a $500,000 bond. The Advocate, among other media sources, originally reported that Edwards identified as a black gay man answering to Lamar and/or Goddess, who likely wore drag, it has since been confirmed by others close to Papi, and reported by various sources that Edwards identified as a female.
- Lamia Beard, a black transgender woman from Norfolk, Virginia, was found with life-threatening gunshot wounds on the morning of 17 January. She was taken to the Sentara Norfolk General Hospital, where she died.
- Ty Underwood, a black transgender woman from Tyler, Texas, was found in her car, dead from three gunshot wounds, on 26 January. Her roommate feels she may have been targeted because she was a transgender woman.Carlton Champion, a Texas College student was arrested, tried, and convicted of her murder, he was involved in a relationship with Ty, and he was afraid that his teammates and classmates would find out about it.
- Yazmin Vash Payne, a black transgender woman from Van Nuys, California, was found stabbed and burned to death in her apartment on 31 January. The following day her boyfriend confessed to the murder and surrendered to police.
- Taja DeJesus, a Latina trans woman, was stabbed to death in San Francisco, California on 3 February. She was 36 years old; the man believed to have stabbed her, James Hays 49, was found dead a short distance away.
- Penny Proud, a black trans woman from New Orleans, Louisiana, died of multiple gunshot injuries on 10 February 2015.
- Bri Golec, a white trans woman or gender-nonconforming person, was stabbed to death by their father, Kevin Golic, on 13 February 2015. Bri was a 22-year-old living with their father at the time, her father called 911 after the stabbing, claiming it was "the cult" that had broken in and stabbed Bri. The cult he referred to is believed to be a local trans support group. Police determined that no one had broken in. Kevin Golic was charged with murder and felony domestic violence. In August of 2015 he pleaded guilty to murder and was sentenced to life in prison with the possibility of parole after 15 years.
- Kristina Gomez Reinwald, a Latina trans woman from Miami, Florida, was found dead in her apartment on 15 February. She was 46 years old; the case was initially considered a suicide, but news broke on 19 February that police were treating it as homicide.
- Keyshia Blige, a 33-year-old black trans woman from Montgomery, Illinois, was killed 7 March 2015. Blige was shot while driving and crashed while attempting to drive herself to the hospital. "Police declined to comment on the motive for the shooting, but described it as 'not random'." Although she had performed for many years under the name, Blige just started transitioning in January 2015. "Stiff's mother said, though her [child] had begun taking the hormones in January, already she noticed a new glow to [her] skin." Blige was reported as male in the news.
- Vanessa Santillan, a 33-year-old Mexican trans woman from Miami, Florida, suffered fatal injuries to her head and neck in an apartment in Fulham, London, England on 28 March after responding to a neighbor's phone call.
- London Chanel, a 21-year-old black trans woman, died 18 May in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, after being fatally stabbed in the back and neck by Raheam Felton, who was the boyfriend of one of her roommates.
- Mercedes Williamson, a 17-year-old white trans woman from Alabama was killed in George County, Mississippi by Josh Vallum. Her body was found 2 June after Vallum told his father about the murder.
- Jasmine Collins, a 32-year-old trans woman, was found stabbed to death in Kansas City, Missouri on 23 June. She was misgendered and deadnamed which prevented her loved ones from learning of her death for ten days, despite asking police who had her murderer in custody.
- Ashton O'Hara, a 25-year-old black trans genderfluid person, was found murdered in a field in Detroit, Michigan on 14 July.
- India Clarke, a 25-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead in Tampa, Florida on 21 July. Clarke was subsequently misgendered in reports by media and the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
- K.c. Haggard, a 66-year-old trans woman, was stabbed in the neck in Fresno, California on 23 July, and passersby "did nothing but look at her body on the ground as she bled out."
- Shade Schuler, a 22-year-old black trans woman, was shot dead and left in a field in Dallas, Texas on 29 July.
- Amber Monroe, a 20-year-old black trans woman, was shot in Detroit, Michigan, on 8 August. She had been shot on three prior occasions, her fear of the police kept her from reporting the crimes.
- Kandis Capri, a black 35-year-old trans woman, was shot in Phoenix, Arizona, on 11 August.
- Elisha Walker, a black trans woman, was found dead in a shallow grave in Johnston County, North Carolina, on 15 August. She had been reported missing a year before.
- Tamara Dominguez, a 36-year-old Latina trans woman from Kansas City, Missouri, was run over by an SUV truck multiple times on 16 August at 3:00 am local time. Dominguez's brother, Alberto, offered forgiveness to the person who ran over Tamara during the argument which killed her: "We are not here to judge nobody, and he (Alberto) hopes that person really feels bad for what he did."
- Kiesha Jenkins, a 22-year-old black trans woman from North Philadelphia, was beaten and shot by five to six men after getting out of a car. Jenkins was a student at Temple University after graduating from Benjamin Franklin High School. "In her spare time, [Jenkins] enjoyed drawing and designing tattoos for friends" and eventually hoped to become a graphic designer, according to her family. Jenkins' family described as her "'comfortable' in her own skin, artistic and meticulous about fashion" who was a loving caregiver to her grandmother and other family members.
- Zella Ziona, a black 21-year-old trans woman, was shot to death on 15 October in Montgomery County, Maryland. Ziona worked as a caregiver in an assisted-living facility. Rico Hector LeBlond, aged 20, was arrested as the perpetrator.
- Fernanda "Coty" Olmos, aged 59, of Santa Fe, Argentina was found in her Alfonso home stabbed and shot to death on 25 September 2015. Area neighbors and media believe "the brutality of the murder suggests that this is a transphobic crime, a femicide against a transgender woman". Olmos was fondly remembered for her "charitable work during the dramatic floods" that hit Sante Fe in 2003.
- Marcela Estefania Chocobar, aged 26, of Tartagal was found murdered in Santa Cruz, Argentina. Chocobar was a transgender activist in Argentina who went missing for several days before her remains were found, her body was so badly burned and dismembered that her identity had to be verified by DNA.
- Diana Sacayán, aged 40, of Flores, Buenos Aires, Argentina. Sacayán was a prominent transgender activist who served on the board of the International Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Trans and Intersex Association and was a leader of Argentina's Antidiscrimination Liberation Movement, she was found in her apartment on 13 October with multiple stab wounds. Her death is being investigated as a hate crime.
- Alisha, a 23-year-old transgender activist, was shot seven times and died 25 May in the Lady Reading Hospital in Peshawar, Pakistan. Hospital staff spent over an hour determining whether to place Alisha in a male or female patient ward. Fellow transgender activists reported being taunted as they waited for Alisha outside the emergency room.
- Barbie Ann Reilly, a 23-year-old transgender woman, was murdered by her partner, in Pasay City, Philippines. Her body was found stuffed inside a suitcase along the Cavite Expressway in Cavite on 3 June 2016.
- Hande Kader, a 22-year-old transgender woman, was raped, murdered, and then burned in Istanbul, Turkey. Her body was found on 12 August. Kader worked as a sex worker and was last seen getting in a client's car, she was also a prominent activist in the LGBTI community of Turkey and had appeared in LGBTI rights events in the country, including a 2015 Gay Pride event in Istanbul that was cracked down on by police.
- Tara, a 28-year-old transgender woman was found severely burnt outside of Pondy Bazaar police station. She died at the Kilpauk Medical College in Chennai on the morning of 9 November. Police had stopped her the night before and accused her of soliciting sex work while she charged her phone at a 24-hour store, they confiscated her phone and the keys to her vehicle that night. According to a friend, when she argued, she was assaulted by the police, who then took her to the police station for questioning, where they allegedly assaulted her again.
- Nadine Stransen, a white transgender woman of Sydney, was found murdered in her apartment on 6 February 2016.
- Niurkeli, a 33-year-old trans woman from Ecuador, strangled and burned on 21 October in Nantes, France. A suspect was arrested.
- William Lound, a 30-year-old transgender man from England, suffered multiple stab wounds and died on 8 February at the University of Salford, where he had been a student.
- Lorena F. Zaratevilcas, a 53-year-old Peruvian transgender woman and sex worker, was killed by a gunshot to the head, on 21 February in Rouen, France. She was found in the stairs of the building in which she lived.
- Raina Aliev, a 25-year-old Muslim transgender woman and killed and disfigured just after marrying a man in Russia. She was originally from Chechnya and her family had called for her execution.
- Monica Pineda Rivera, a trans woman and sex worker, was stabbed to death on 10 February in Cuernavaca, Mexico. Despite the fact that some witnesses reported to the press that the murderer was a taxi driver, the incident was never clarified.
- Paulett Gonzalez, a 24-year-old trans woman and beauty queen was murdered and burned beyond recognition. She was found by police in Celaya, Guanajuato in July, one month after her disappearance in the nearby city of Irapuato.
- Paola Ledesma, a 27-year-old trans woman who was rejected by her family and left her birthplace to become a sex worker in Mexico City, was shot on 30 September by client Arturo Felipe Delgadillo Olvera, who became angry after he found out that she was transgender. Delgadillo, an armed security guard, was released after a judge determined that there was insufficient evidence to judge him.
- Itzel Durán Castellanos, a 19-year-old trans woman and beauty queen was stabbed to death on 8 October, inside her house in Comitán, Chiapas, after a quarrel with a man named Antonio, who was arrested by the police a few days later.
- Alessa Flores, a 28-year-old trans woman, LGBT activist and sex worker was tortured and strangled to death by an unknown client inside a hotel room in Mexico City. The murderer was never found.
- Monica Loera, a 43-year-old Latina trans woman from North Austin, Texas was murdered on 22 January 2016. A man demanded entry to her home claiming to have forgotten his jacket; when she opened the door, he shot her, he was subsequently arrested. For days, both the media and police report identified her as a man and referred to her using her birth name. Loera was a sex worker; the killer was likely a client; he had been seen earlier leaving her home "patting his pockets".
- Jasmine Sierra, a 52-year-old Latina trans woman from Bakersfield, California, was found dead in an apartment on 22 January, with her body showing signs of trauma and foul play according to police. Local media had identified her as male and used her birth name.
- Nino Acox Jackson, a 26-year-old black trans man from Dallas, Texas, found dead in Lake Ray Hubbard on 16 February after being declared missing a month earlier when his car was found abandoned.
- Veronica Banks Cano, a 40-year-old black trans woman, was found dead on 19 February, fully clothed in a bathtub in San Antonio, Texas.
- Maya Young, a 25-year-old black trans woman was fatally stabbed in Frankford, Philadelphia on 20 February 2016.
- Demarkis Stansberry, "a 30-year-old black man of transgender experience" was fatally shot in the head in Baton Rouge, Louisiana by 24-year-old Nicholas Matthews, who turned himself in to the police.
- Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson, 16-year-old black genderfluid individual (who went by both names and used the pronoun they), was found dead by Burlington, Iowa police on 2 March, having been shot several times and left in an alley.
- Quartney Davia Dawsonn-Yochum, a 32-year-old trans woman of color, was murdered on 23 March, in Los Angeles. After a domestic dispute, she was out walking her dogs when a man came up to her and shot her in the head; the suspect was detained by a security guard and was subsequently arrested and charged.
- Shante Thompson, a 34-year-old black transgender woman, was beaten and fatally shot in Houston, Texas on 11 April. Witnesses reported that she and a male friend were swarmed by a group of up to eight people on the side of a roadway in the Midtown area.
- Keyonna Blakeney, a 22-year-old black trans woman from Upper Marlboro, Maryland who had attended Bowie State University, was found dead in a hotel room in Rockville, Maryland on 16 April, with trauma to the upper body indicating she had been beaten and murdered. Police believed she was involved with prostitution.
- Reese/Reecey Walker, a 32-year-old black transgender woman from Wichita, Kansas, was stabbed to death in the evening of 1 May, in her Windridge apartment bedroom. A 16-year-old boy was arrested and booked into the Sedgwick County Jail on suspicion of second-degree murder, her family hosted a candlelight vigil on 4 May, in front of her apartment as well as a Celebration of Life for her at her family's home on 6 May.
- Mercedes Successful, a 32-year-old black transgender woman was found dead in a Haines City, Florida parking lot on 15 May 2016, after being shot. Born in Jamaica, West Indies, she was an active member of the LGBT community in the United States.
- Amos Beede, a 38-year-old homeless transgender man was severely beaten in Burlington, Vermont on 23 May. He died of his injuries (broken bones, internal bleeding in the brain) in the hospital six days later, on 29 May.
- Goddess Diamond, a 20-year-old black trans woman, was found in a torched car in New Orleans, Louisiana on 5 June. She died from blunt force trauma before the car was burned.
- Deeniquia Dodds, a 22-year-old black trans woman, was shot in the neck near her home in Washington D.C. on 4 July 2016. The shot left her hospitalized on life support until she died on 14 July.
- Dee Whigham, a 25-year-old black trans woman who worked as a nurse, was stabbed to death in the face and body on 23 July in her hotel room in Biloxi, Mississippi, where she was staying with friends to see a rodeo. Police arrested a 20-year-old as the suspected killer.
- Skye Mockabee, a 26-year-old transgender woman of color, was found in a parking lot having died of a head wound on 31 July 2016. No suspects identified, no arrests made.
- Erykah/Erika Tijerina, a 36-year-old Latina trans woman, was found dead in her apartment in El Paso, Texas on 8 August 2016. A police officer who entered the apartment discovered "obvious signs of foul play", her sisters expressed belief that her death was a hate crime.
- Rae'Lynn Thomas, a 28-year-old black trans woman, was shot twice in front of her mother, and then beaten to death by James Allen Byrd in Columbus, Ohio on 10 August, as she begged for her life. Byrd called her "the devil" and made transphobic comments, her family called for the murder to be investigated as a hate crime, but Ohio hate crime statues do not cover gender identity.
- Lexxi T. Sironen, a 43-year-old homeless white trans woman, was found on 6 September in the Kennebec River in Maine.
- T.T. Saffore, a black trans woman, aged 26 or 27, from Chicago's West Side was found murdered in Chicago's Garfield Park the evening of 11 September 2016. Her throat had been cut and a knife was found nearby. According to a friend of T.T., Saffore got into an altercation on Madison Street with a younger trans woman who pulled a knife and allegedly said "I'm going to get you killed." Saffore did not report the crime to the Chicago Police Department due to a fear of abuse from CPD officers towards trans women who live on the West Side. Major media outlets misgendered her.
- Crystal Edmonds, a 32-year-old black trans woman, was killed in Baltimore on 16 September 2016.
- Jazz Alford, a 30-year-old black trans woman from North Carolina, was killed in her hotel room in Birmingham, Alabama on 23 September 2016. She was initially misgendered by the police, but her sister Toya Milan, also a trans woman, corrected the record as to her sister's gender.
- Brandi Bledsoe, a 32-year-old black trans woman from Cleveland, Ohio, was found dead in a driveway on 8 October 2016. Her body, wearing only underwear with white plastic bags covering her head and hands, she was found by a 5-year-old boy.
- Sierra/Simon Bush, a white 18-year-old gender nonconforming Boise State University student went missing on 24 September. Their body was found naked in a rural area creek south of Idaho City, Idaho, about 30 miles away from their home a month later, on 25 October. An investigation is still ongoing, "Police have not said whether they suspect foul play in her death, or whether Bush left Boise of her own volition, but Boise Police Sgt. Justin Kendall said the case is being investigated as suspicious."
- Noony Norwood, a 30-year-old transgender woman of color, was shot and killed on 5 November 2016 in Virginia. Police are investigating surveillance of a man leaving the scene, they are not yet clear about what the motive of the killer may have been.
- India Monroe, a 29-year-old black trans woman, was found shot to death on 21 December, along with Mark Gray, 37, in a home in Newport News, Virginia. Local news reports at first identified Monroe as male, she was buried under her birth name, with her hair cut short and other facets of her appearance altered to make her look male. Newport News police have ruled Monroe's death a homicide but are investigating it as a domestic incident, not a hate crime.
- 179 trans people were murdered in Brazil in 2017.
- Nathallya Figueiredo, a 25-year-old transgender woman, was stabbed to death in a car in Capão da Canoa in January 2016. A caretaker of a building nearby the scene had witnessed the scene and alerted police, her body was found buried in Cachoeirinha in the metropolitan region of Porto Alegre.
- Bié, aka Bianca Abravanel, a 25-year-old transgender woman, was murdered on 4 April 2016 in the Vila Rica neighborhood of Ribeirão, Pernambuco, Brazil. Four men approached Bianca and shot her at least 15 times in the face and chest. A 16-year-old male who was with Bianca had tried to hide from the killers but was hit by a shot in his left leg and injured.
- T.E. de M. Geremias, a 37-year-old massage therapist trans woman was fatally stabbed in the Sao Marcos neighborhood of Valinhos on 12 February.
- Paula, a transgender woman, identified only as "Paula", was found by police on the side of a road in the municipality of Goiandira on 16 May, with head injuries. She was sent to the Santa Casa de Misericórdia de Catalão emergency room but because of a lack of documents was later transferred to a hospital in Goiania where she died four days later, on 20 May. A suspect was arrested in the case but further details are unknown.
- Jessica Mendes Cavalcanti, 24-year-old trans woman, was surrounded by two young men and fatally stabbed to death in the Canaa neighborhood of Uberlandia on 19 April. One of the suspects who was apprehended by police confessed to Cavalcanti being transgender as being a motive of the crime.
- Leticia B. da Silva, a 22-year-old trans woman, was murdered in Benguí, Belem, on 5 May. Two men on motorcycles had come by her as she was walking home and one of them fatally shot her.
- Andinho, a trans woman, was shot several times and apparently died on the scene, in Aracaju, Sergipe, on 29 March.
- Laysa Fortuna, a 25-year-old trans woman, was stabbed in the chest, in Aracaju, Sergipe, on 18 October 2018. The aggressor said if Bolsonaro was elected president, all trans people and transvestites are killed. Bolsonaro did not comment the subject.
- Amna, 35-year-old and Meeno, 26-year-old, both khwaja sara Pakistanis were allegedly beaten to death and tortured by Saudi police in Riyad February 28. Clothing and jewelry was also confiscated by the police.
- Adnan alias Sufaid, a 17-year-old transgender individual was shot to death in Nowshera District in Pakistan on 8 August 2017.
- Gauri, a 35-year-old transgender woman was found dead and suspected to have been strangled in Aluva in India.
- Chanda Sharmeeli, a 30-year-old trans woman was shot dead in Karachi, Pakistan sometime on 30 August or early morning 31 August. She had been with a gathering of other trans people discussing what they believed to be a recent under counting of Pakistan's trans community when a gang of armed men began harassing them and eventually shooting Chanda.
- Unidentified, a trans person of about 25-years-old was found decapitated and tortured to death in Peshawer, Pakistan 21 October. They had been dead for at least a few days prior to being discovered, their body was refused entry to a local freezer for fear of contamination and a government contractor has refused to bury the body.
- Jessica Rubi Mori, a transgender woman sex worker and activist was killed and her body dismembered in Higüey, Dominican Republic. Her body was found 3 June.
- Sisi Thibert, a 26-year-old transgender woman was stabbed to death in Pointe St. Charles September 18 outside of an apartment. A suspect was identified from surveillance footage.
- Alloura Wells, a 27-year-old transgender woman was found dead in a ravine by Rosedale Ravine Lands Park in early August a month after she disappeared from the area. The body was recovered from an area in the midtown Toronto ravine, which is near Bloor Street East and Rosedale Valley Road — an area that Wells was known to frequent, according to friends .
- José Ángel Ponce, a 23-year-old trans woman and sex worker, was beaten to death on 17 March and found in the middle of a vacant lot in Matamoros, Mexico. Her brother confirmed that some elder men were after her, as she had been stealing money from elder clients.
- Martín José, a 17-year-old transgender girl, was found death on 19 April inside a hotel room in Monterrey, Mexico where she was seen for the last time with a young man. Police investigation revealed that her partner, who is also a minor, is the main suspect of the crime.
- Tavita Montes, a 24-year-old transgender woman, activist and a former university student, was strangled to death by her boyfriend after a quarrel. Her corpse was found inside the trunk of her car in Colima on 5 June. A few days later, the boyfriend was arrested.
- Yadira, a 50-year-old transgender woman was stabbed to death in Tehuacán on 6 July.
- Unconfirmed name, a 30-year-old transgender woman and sex worker, was shot and then dragged to a vacant lot in a suburb of Cienega de Flores, near Monterrey in Mexico on 27 July.
- Edgar, a transgender woman and a sex worker, was dumped from a car in the middle of a rural road in Tlaltizapán, Morelos on 31 July. The corpse had a gunshot in the head.
- Unconfirmed name, a transgender woman was found beaten to death in San Gabriel Chilac on 13 August. The news reports her legal name of Jorge Negrete, but not their affirmed name, if different.
- Pedro Israel, a transgender woman and sex worker, was shot in the middle of the night in one of the main avenues in Acapulco, Guerrero on 27 August.
- Manuela, a 26-year-old trans woman and sex worker, was found dead with a screwdriver lodged in her neck on 3 September, in Fresnillo, Zacatecas.
- Hilario López Ruiz, a 26-year-old trans woman and sex worker, was found dead on 15 August, inside a wastewater drainage hole in Ciudad Juárez, Mexico. Apparently, she was beaten to death by a client who discovered she was transgender.
- Roberto Sánchez Durán, a transgender woman from Tepexco, Puebla, was shot dead on 26 August, outside an industrial complex located in the suburbs of Cuautla, Morelos, where she worked as a sex worker.
- Christian, a transgender woman and member of a pro-diversity organization, was shot in the streets of Acapulco, Guerrero on 17 December.
- Jamie Lee Wounded Arrow, a 28-year-old Native American trans woman was found murdered in her apartment in Sioux Falls, South Dakota on 7 January, however, she is believed to have died at least several days prior.
- Mesha Caldwell, a 41-year-old black trans woman, was found shot to death on a road near Canton, Mississippi on 4 January.
- Jojo Striker, a 23-year-old trans woman of color, was found shot to death in a garage in Toledo, Ohio, on 8 February. She suffered one gunshot wound to her chest.
- Jaquarrius Holland, an 18-year-old black trans woman, was shot during a verbal altercation in Monroe, Louisiana on 19 February.
- Tiara Lashaytheboss Richmond, a 24-year-old black trans woman who was also known as Keke Collier, was shot on Chicago's south side on 23 February, by an unknown assailant while sharing a vehicle with them. She was found by police on the ground outside, and rushed to the hospital, where she died around 7:00 am.
- Chyna Doll Dupree, a black trans woman, also known as Chyna Gibson, was shot in New Orleans on 25 February, by an unknown assailant. She was found by police at 8:30 pm lying in a parking lot outside a shopping mall, she had been shot several times, and died at the scene. Her aunt described her as "a very loving person [who] didn't do nothing to nobody".
- Ciara McElveen, a 26-year-old black trans woman, was stabbed in New Orleans, Louisiana, and left on the side of the road. She was transported to University Medical Center where she died on 27 February.
- Alphonza Watson, a 38-year-old black trans woman, was shot in the stomach on 22 March in Baltimore, Maryland. She was transported to Johns Hopkins Hospital where she died, her mother described Watson as "the sunshine of our family," a "caring, passionate" person who loved cooking and gardening.
- Chay Reed, a 28-year-old transgender woman of color, was shot and killed on 21 April in Miami, Florida. Reed's longtime friend told Mic.com about their longtime friendship—describing her as someone who was full of life and beloved by many.
- Kenneth Bostick, a 59-year-old black trans man, was found with severe injuries on a Manhattan sidewalk, and later died of his injuries. Few details about Bostick's life have been reported; he may have been homeless at the time of the attack. Early reports also identified him under his previous name, mistakenly saying he was a trans woman.
- Sherrell Faulkner, a 46-year-old black trans woman, died on 16 May from injuries sustained during an attack the previous year, on 30 November 2016, in Charlotte, North Carolina. She was found where she was left after the attack, next to a dumpster. Police are treating the assault as a homicide. No arrests have been made at this point.
- Kenne McFadden, a 27-year-old black trans woman, was found in the San Antonio River on 9 April. Police believe she was pushed into the river, which runs through downtown San Antonio. A high-school friend of McFadden described her to local media as assertive, charismatic and lovable. No arrests have been made, but police said they have a person of interest in custody. Due to media misgendering McFadden, her identity as a trans woman was not corrected in news stories until June.
- Kendra Marie Adams, a 28-year-old trans woman of color, was found in a building that was under construction and had burns on her body on 13 June, in Ithaca, New York. Police charged Michael Davis, 45, with Adams' murder. Adams also went by Josie Berrios, the name used in initial media reports on her death.
- Ava Le'Ray Barrin, a 17-year-old trans girl, was shot and killed in Athens, Georgia, on 25 June. She was killed by another transgender person she knew after an altercation in a parking lot, she has been remembered as a "social butterfly" and an "amazing girl".
- Ebony Morgan, a 28-year-old trans woman of color, was found shot in Lynchburg, Virginia, on 2 July. After being found shot in a residence, she was transported to a local hospital where she was pronounced dead; the local police report uses her previous name but confirmed that she goes by Ebony.
- TeeTee Dangerfield, a 32-year-old transgender woman was found shot multiple times by her vehicle in Atlanta, Georgia, on 31 July. She was taken to the hospital and later died of her injuries.
- Gwynevere River Song, a 26-year-old person identifying as femandrogyne, was shot in Waxahachie, Texas, on 13 August.
- Pepper K, aka Phoenix, a 33-year-old trans person, was killed by another inmate while incarcerated in the Mansfield Correctional Institution. Phoenix was taken to an area hospital and died of her injuries on 25 August, she had participated in the Black and Pink LGBTQ prisoner online pen pal program.
- Ally Steinfeld, a 17-year-old trans person, went missing early September. Ally's body was found stabbed and burned in Texas County, Missouri. Three people have been arrested in Ally's death.
- Kashmire Redd, a 28-year-old transgender man, was stabbed to death in Gates, New York, early on 4 September.
- Derricka Banner, a 26-year-old trans woman of color, was shot and killed in Charlotte, North Carolina in the early morning of 12 September.
- Stephanie Montez, a 47-year-old trans woman, was shot multiple times near Corpus Christi, Texas on 21 October.
- Candace Towns, a 30-year-old trans woman of color, was found dead in Macon, Georgia on 31 October. She was last seen alive 28 October and reported missing the following day, she was shot and left at the end of a driveway.
- Brooklyn BreYanna Stevenson, a 31-year-old transgender woman of color, was found shot multiple times in a motel room at Oklahoma City's Oxford Inn in the early morning of 27 November 2017. Around 2:30 am, police received calls of a disturbance at the establishment; the local police and initial news reports did not list the correct information when identifying Brooklyn, she was misgendered and dead-named, although she had legally changed her name the year before.
- Brandi Seals, a 26-year-old transgender woman was found shot to death in Houston, Texas on 13 Dec.
- Rhiannon Layendecker, a 51-year-old transgender woman, was murdered by her 48-year-old also-transgender wife, Jessica Winkler, on 16 December in their hometown of Englewood, FL. Winkler called 911 and confessed to shooting her wife after an argument.
- Azul Montoro, a 26- or 24-year-old trans woman, was found dead, stabbed 18 times, along with a dog, in Córdoba, Argentina on 18 October.
- Dandara dos Santos, a 42-year-old Brazilian trans woman, was tortured and shot in the face in Bom Jardim, a poor neighborhood of Fortaleza, on 15 February. The incident was filmed and published, which helped apprehend the at least five men who attacked her.
- Bianka Gonçalves, a 22-year-old trans woman, was shot and killed in Primavera do Leste on 7 March.
- Wilka, a 40-year-old Brazilian trans woman, was attacked and killed on 26 March in Pernambuco, in the southern state of Loteamento Luiz Gonzaga. She suffered three stab wounds. According to a friend she was murdered when someone realised that she was transgender whilst attempting to rob her. Images of her lying in a pool of her blood were uploaded to Facebook by a friend alongside heartfelt messages.
- Thadeu (Têu) Nascimento, a 24-year-old trans man was killed in Salvador, Bahia in May. A local trafficker was arrested for the murder.
- Tabata Brandão, a 30-year-old trans woman, was shot to death in Belo Horizonte on 25 June.
- Larissa Valverde, a 24-year-old trans woman, was stabbed to death with what appears to have been a screwdriver in Sorriso on 2 July.
- Camila Guedes, a 31-year-old Brazilian trans woman was found stabbed to death in her Monte Mor home on 19 July.
- Natalia Pimentel, a 22-year-old trans woman, died after being run down by a vehicle driven by a man. The man had approached Natalia and a friend with demands and ran her down after they refused. Natalia died in a hospital of her injuries 25 July in m Várzea Grande, Mato Grosso.
- Danielle Jesus Lafon, a 47-year-old Brazilian trans woman, was repeatedly stabbed to death in Poços de Caldas. Her body wasn't found for several days after her death, which officials put to be likely somewhere between 31 August and 2 September.
- Nicole, a 25-year-old trans woman, was found stabbed to death in her home in Sorriso. Accounts by neighbors place her murder sometime between 4 and 5 September.
- Vanessa Campos, 36, a trans woman working as a sex worker, was shot dead on 17 August in Paris' bois de Boulogne. She was originally from Peru and had been living in Paris for two years; the police initially referred to her as a "male transvestite".
- Following a false rumor that transgender women were kidnapping children for sex trafficking in Hyderabad, four transgender women were attacked by a mob on 26 May 2018. One of the women died. Local police issued an "Appeal to Public" saying that the rumors of criminal involvement by transgender women were "fake" and that the public should not "take law into your hands...so that innocents won't become a victim of those rumors anymore."
- Naomi Hersi, 36, was found stabbed to death at Heathrow Palace in London at 10:30 on Sunday 18 March 2018. Jesse McDonald, 24, from Hounslow, was convicted of murder and sentenced to life in prison, of which he must serve a minimum of 20 years; the pair met on a swingers' website and spent three days together before the assault. McDonald's then-17-year-old girlfriend, who responded to his call for assistance immediately after the death, was convicted of attempting to pervert the course of justice.
On 6 September 2018:
- "A transgender woman in Pakistan has died after being set afire by four men when she resisted sexual assault. The men had taken the woman to an isolated area in the city of Sahiwal, in the eastern part of the nation." The Times of India reports. She was allegedly set on fire by four people after she resisted attempts by the people to sexually assault her, and as a result suffered burns on 80% of her body, she succumbed to her injuries during transport to a hospital.
- Paola Carrasco, a transgender woman and sex worker, was shot in the streets of Mexico City while boarding taxi on 26 January 2018.
- Sheila, a transgender woman and sex worker, was shot in the streets of Tepic on 14 March 2018.
- Yoselyn, a transgender woman and sex worker, was found beheaded inside the room of a short stay motel in Álamo, Veracruz on 5 April 2018. She was seen with a client who left before the corpse was found.
- Gretchen Alina, a transgender woman and drag queen show performer was strangled to death in Monterrey on 10 April 2018.
- Yamileth Quintero, a transgender woman and beauty queen was shot in Culiacan after an encounter with a man she had met online, 24 May 2018.
- Samuel Santolli, a transgender woman and sex worker, was stabbed to death by her lover, a Salvadorian gang member in Tapachula, 26 May 2018.
- Nataly Briyth Sánchez, an undocumented sex worker originally from Honduras, was murdered during a sexual encounter on 19 June 2018 in Tapachula. The client stabbed her to death after discovering that she was transgender.
- Alexa Gutierrez, a transgender woman and hairdresser was found dead inside her home when neighbours complained that a faint odour came from it. The press reported she had been beaten to death in Aguascalientes on 26 June 2018.
- Katty, a transgender woman and sex worker was shot by an unknown man at a nightclub in Yautepec de Zaragoza on 27 June 2018.
- Chanel, a 45-year-old transexual sex worker, was shot in the streets of Toluca, 18 July 2018.
- Alaska Contreras Ponce, 25, a transgender beauty queen and sex worker, was found dead with her neck sliced by barbed wire after gruesome torture in Martinez de la Torre, 25 July 2018.
- Juan C. M., a 24-year-old transgender woman and local taxi driver, was found dead in Santa Maria Atzompa on 12 August 2018. Apparently, she had a gunshot wound.
- Diego Armando Sanchez Medina, 32, a transgender woman and hairdresser, was shot 28 times by armed men in Guadalajara, 27 August 2018.
- Asuani, a transgender woman and LGBT activist, was shot outside her home in the small town of Chilapa de Álvarez, by a group of men, 24 September 2018.
- Jhoana Hernandez, a transgender woman, feminist activist and sex worker was kidnapped, tortured and then killed in Xalapa, Veracruz, 24 September 2018.
- Luisa Fernanda Hernandez, a transgender woman was found dead with a gunshot inside her car in Leon, Guanajuato, 2 December 2018.
- Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien, 42, was the first known case of deadly violence against the transgender community in 2018. A local news outlet reports that she was found dead in her home on Friday night in North Adams, Massachusetts, she was a trans beauty pageant organizer. According to reports, Leigh Steele-Knudslien's husband, Mark, turned himself in Friday night, admitting to killing his wife. 8 January 2018.
- Viccky Gutierrez, 33, is the second reported transgender person killed in the United States in 2018. She died after being stabbed and her apartment in Los Angeles was set on fire while she and her dog were trapped inside. Kevyn Ramirez, 29, of Los Angeles was charged with murder and arson after admitting to stabbing Gutierrez in her home after a dispute and then setting fire to the apartment 12 January 2018.
- Tonya Harvey, 35, is the third known transgender person to be murdered in 2018. Harvey was shot to death shortly before 5:30 pm in Buffalo, New York on February 6th.
- Celine Walker, 36, was shot to death in Jacksonville, Florida on 4 February 2018. Sources claim that Walker's body was found with fatal gunshot wounds in an Extended Stay America hotel at about 8 p.m. and pronounced dead at the scene. Additionally, Walker's family and friends publicly shared their disgust toward Jacksonville Sheriff's Department and the Florida Sun Times-Union misgendering her.
- Phylicia Mitchell, 45, was shot in the chest around 6 p.m. outside her home on West 112th Street near Detroit Avenue, in Cleveland's Edgewater neighborhood
- Zakaria Fry, 28, was found dead in the town of Stanley, New Mexico, on 19 February 2018. She went missing in New Mexico in mid-January, and her body was later found 40 miles outside of Albuquerque on 19 February. Rancher Fidel Montoya found one body in a trash bin along the road, and another body was recovered about two miles away. Police confirmed them to be Fry and her roommate Eugene Ray on Tuesday, 27 February 2018.
- Amia Tyrae Berryman, 28, suffered multiple fatal gunshot wounds outside of a motel in East Baton Rouge, Louisiana on 26 March 2018.
- Sasha Wall, 29, is the eighth known transgender person to be murdered in 2018. Sasha was fatally shot on 1 April in Chesterfield County, South Carolina, her body was found with multiple gunshot wounds and slumped over her car's steering wheel on Sunday, 1 April 2018.
- Carla Patricia Flores-Pavon, 18, was strangled to death in her Dallas apartment 9 May
- Nino Fortson, 36, a transgender man fatally shot multiple times during an argument 13 May in Atlanta.
- Antash'a English, 38, known to friends as Antash'a, died 1 June 2018 in Jacksonville, Florida
- Gigi Pierce, 28, a transgender woman fatally shot 22 May evening in Portland, Oregon. The suspect, 33-year-old Sophia Adler, remained at the scene and was arrested. Adler has been booked into the Multnomah County Jail on a charge of murder
- Cathalina Christina James, 24, was found shot dead in a hotel on the Southside of Jacksonville, Florida on 24 June 2018.
- Diamond Stephens a 39-year-old black transgender woman, was shot to death on 18 June in Meridian, Mississippi.
- Keisha Wells, 54, died in a parking lot due to a gunshot wound to the abdomen on 23 June in Cleveland.
- Sasha Garden, a 27-year-old transgender woman, was found dead in Orlando on 19 July
- Dejanay Stanton, 24, was shot to death early in the morning of 30 August on the south side of Chicago. In early 2019 Tremon T. Hill, 17, who allegedly had a sexual relationship with her, was charged with her murder and remanded in custody awaiting trial.
- Vontashia Bell, 18, suffered a fatal gunshot wound 30 August in Shreveport, Louisiana
- Shantee Tucker, 30, was shot to death 5 September on a Philadelphia street by someone firing from inside a pickup truck.
- London Moore, 20, was found shot to death 8 September in North Port, Fl.
- Nikki Enriquez, 28, of Laredo, Texas, was found dead near Interstate 35 in south Texas 15 September.suspect is Juan David Ortiz.
- Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier age 31, of Chicago, Illinois, was found dead with stab wounds on 3 October, in the West Garfield Park neighborhood.
- Tydie Dansbury, 37, of Baltimore, Maryland, was shot dead after an argument. She died on 28 November. Police are investigating this homicide.
- Kelly Stough, 36, was murdered in Palmer Park, Detroit in December. Albert Weathers, 46, a preacher, has been charged with her murder and prosecutors claim her gender identity was motivating in the crime.
- Alex Milkovich (died in June 2019) was a 19-years-old transgender man, a student of the pharmaceutical academy, who was killed in Russian town Nytva. He went missing on June 1, his body was found on June 10; the suspected murder was arrested.
- Camila Diaz Cordova (died in February 2019) was a 29-year-old trans woman who was killed in El Salvador after being deported from the United States.
- La Becky, a 52-year-old transgender woman who owned the local gay bar La Esquina del Chacal, was killed in the Minatitlán shooting on April 19. Three armed men broke into a family gathering and murdered 14 people, including La Becky.
- Jesusa Fidel Ventura Reyes, better known to her friends as Chucha, was a 25-year old trans woman who was killed in the Mexican State of Veracruz. She went missing on the night of May 17, and her family contacted local police 24 hours after her disappearance. Local authorities found her severed head in a cooler in front of the town hall, her body was found discarded in a street elsewhere in the city. Witnesses report seeing a group of armed men leaving the cooler outside the town hall. Reyes' family first identified her on Sunday, May 19 and claimed her body on May 20.
- Brayan Sánchez Zárate, better known as Britany, was a 20-year old trans woman who was killed in the city of Misantla in Veracruz. On May 26, she was shot by two men with .38 calibers on the city's local Football field. Sánchez Zárate had been previously crowned "Gay Princess 2019" on Misantla's annual LGBT carnival.
- Dana Martin, 31, a trans woman of color, was found shot to death in her vehicle in a roadside ditch about 11 pm. Sunday, 6 January, in Montgomery, Alabama. She was shot while driving and police as of 10 January police continue to investigate, but have no leads.
- Jazzaline Ware, age unknown, a trans woman of color, was found dead in her apartment on Monday, 25 March in Memphis, Tennessee. Initially thought to be a suicide, police currently regard the case as homicide for reasons not made public.
- Ashanti Carmon, 27, a trans woman of color, was shot and killed around 6:30 am, Saturday, 30 March, in Prince George's County, Maryland. The day of her death, the eve of International Transgender Day of Visibility, made her murder poignant for the international trans community, her history of survival sex, which she did since homeless at age 16, and the location of her murder, popular sex worker and transgender locale Eastern Avenue, makes her death a likely instance of violence against sex workers. There are currently no leads on the shooting.
- Claire Legato, 21, a trans woman of color, was shot in the head on Monday, April 15 after an argument broke out between her mother and the suspect in Cleveland, Ohio. She was taken to a local hospital where she died from her injuries on May 14; the suspect, John Booth, 61, was charged by the authorities with Claire Legato's murder, and an arrest warrant was issued for Booth. 
- Muhlaysia Booker, 23, a trans woman of color was found shot and killed after a 6:40 am shooting report call, Saturday, 18 May, Dallas, Texas around the 7200 block of Valley Glen Dr. near Tension Park Golf Course. There are currently no leads in the shooting; the shooting comes after little more than a month since a viral video (gaining national attention) showed Booker being publicly beaten and called slurs on 12 April. Police have no current ties to connect the previous assailant to her later murder. Less than a month before her death, she spoke publicly saying, "This time, I can stand before you whereas in other scenarios, we're at a memorial." On June 5, 2019 a suspect, Kendrell Lavar Lyles, 34, was arrested by the Dallas police and charged with three counts of murder, including the murder of Muhlaysia Booker. 
- Michelle "Tamika" Washington, 40, a trans woman of color and longtime transgender rights advocate, was fatally shot in the Philadelphia, Pennsylvania in the neighborhood of Franklinville on Sunday, 19 May shortly after 5:00 am. Police responded to several shots fired and found Washington had been shot several times, at which time she was taken to Temple University Hospital, where she was pronounced dead upon arrival. A suspect in her murder has been arrested.
- Paris Cameron, 20, was shot in Detroit, Michigan on Saturday, 25 May (Memorial Day weekend) along with two cisgender individuals. She was taken in critical condition to a local hospital, where she was pronounced dead. Eyewitnesses report gunshots ringing out after arguing being heard from the house all the victims were in, after which numerous people fled onto the street. Police have arrested suspect Devon Robinson, 18, in relation to the murder.
- Chynal Lindsey, 26, a trans woman of color was found in White Rock Lake, Dallas, Texas at 5:45 pm on Saturday, 1 June. She is the second trans murder in Dallas, Texas in 2019, following Muhlaysia Booker just two weeks previous. The city was celebrating their annual Pride festival on the same weekend. Lindsey's body was discovered only a mile away from where Booker's body was discovered; the Dallas Police have asked the FBI to assist with the investigation. Her death brings the currently unsolved trans homicide cases in Dallas to four as of June 2019. On June 20, 2019 the Dallas police arrested a suspect, Ruben Alvarado, 22, who has been charged with the murder of Chynal Lindsey. 
- Johana Medina Leon, 25, a trans woman from El Salvador seeking asylum in the United States, died in Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) custody in El Paso, Texas on Saturday, 1 June around 9:00 pm. After applying for asylum at the Paso del Norte Port of Entry on April 11, Leon was detained at the facility where she informed officials of her medical condition, including complications resulting from HIV. Leon passed her interview determining that she had credible fear of persecution should she return to El Salvador on May 18, but was not paroled until she entered the hospital later that month. According to family and advocates, during her incarceration at the facility, she had been denied medication and treatment resulting in her death at the Del Sol Medical Center.
- Chanel Scurlock, 23, a trans woman of color, was found shot and killed just after midnight in Lumberton, North Carolina on Wednesday, 5 June by Robeson County sheriff's deputies. Her family indicated she had planned to meet up with the owner of a Facebook page with media content of her. Friends and activists confirmed that Scurlock identified as a trans woman, however she had been misgendered and deadnamed by local media, and even referred to as a gay man by her mother in local reports. While the Robeson County Sheriff, Burnis Wilkins, has indicated that they have strong leads in the investigation, his office asked for public assistance regarding the case. On 11 June, police arrested a suspect, Javaras Hammonds, 20, on charges of first-degree murder and robbery with a dangerous weapon in the killing of Chanel Scurlock.
- Zoe Spears, 23, a trans woman of color, was shot and killed in Fairmount Heights, Maryland, a suburb of Washington D.C on Thursday, 13 June. The murder occurred just a few blocks from where, earlier in March 2019, Ashanti Carmon was murdered . Prince George's County Police Major Brian Reilly said that, "At this point in the investigation, there is no direct link that we see at this point, but that is obviously something we are monitoring very closely to see if there are any links." Carmon and Spears knew each other and were part of a close group of sex workers in the area. Two weeks after her death, police arrested suspect Gerardo Thomas, 33, indicted on murder charges (first degree) for the killing of Zoe Spears. 
- Denali Berries Stuckey, 29, a trans woman of color, was shot and killed in North Charleston, South Carolina in the early morning of Saturday, 20 July on Carter Avenue. Early reports misgendered Stuckey. Police investigation is ongoing, but currently has no developments or leads announced, she is the third transgender homicide in South Carolina since 2018. On 31 July, Elizabeth Warren spoke out about her death along with the death of Kiki Fantroy .
- Tracy Single (née Williams), 22, a trans woman of color, was found dead in west Houston, Texas on Tuesday, 30 July, a victim of homicide. Single's body was discovered in a convenience store parking lot at 11000 Katy Freeway around 2:30 a.m and moved to a morgue where she laid unidentified for ten days. The victim's homelessness delayed the identification process, her identity was revealed by a 11 August town hall meeting organized by local activist Dee Dee Watters, after which it was made public and published by TransGriot on 14 August. Single is the third transgender death of 2019 in Texas, following Muhlaysia Brooker and Chynal Lindsey . Single's boyfriend, Joshua Dominic Bourgeois, 25, was charged with her murder in late August. Friends of the victim claim Single attempted to dissolve the relationship just prior to her murder prompting the possible classification of her murder as domestic homicide.
- Kiki Fantroy, 21, a trans woman of color, was shot and killed in southwest Miami-Dade County, Florida in the early morning of Wednesday, 31 July near an abandoned house. Miami Police claim the murder resulted from an argument and not a transgender hate crime, however Fantroy's mother, whom she lived with, and others who knew her disagree. Fantroy was reportedly headed home from a party with a group when a teenage male, 17, approached her and propositioned her for sex, which she declined, after which he began shooting at another member of the group. Fantroy ran, pursued by the young man, who then opened fire and murdered her. On 5 August, the suspect was arrested in connection with an unrelated case, and admitted to the murder in police custody, he has been charged with murder (second degree) and attempted murder. On 31 July, Elizabeth Warren spoke out about her death along with the death of Denali Stuckey .
- Pebbles LaDime Doe, 24, a trans woman of color, was found shot and killed in Allendale County, South Carolina on Sunday, 4 August. Doe was discovered by a passerby slumped over her car steering wheel on a driveway in the vicinity of Concord Church and Barnwell roads, her killing follows two weeks after of the murder of Denali Stuckey , a fellow trans woman of color from South Carolina. She is the fourth transgender homicide in South Carolina since 2018.
- Jordan Cofer, 22, a trans man, was shot and killed Sunday, 4 August, a victim of the 2019 Dayton shooting. Cofer, one of the first victims, was the sibling of the shooter, making his death fratricide. Many early reports misgendered and deadnamed him, he was out about his gender identity online and to friends, but not family. It is unclear whether their sibling targeted them or not, and, if so, for whatever motive.
- Bailey Reeves, 17, a trans woman of color, was shot and killed Monday, 2 September (Labor Day) in Baltimore, Maryland. Reeves was discovered immediately after the shooting around 8:00 p.m. at the 4300 block of Parkwood Avenue when a nearby teen heard gunshots and screaming, finding Reeves in a pool of her own blood. She was taken to a hospital where she later died of multiple gunshot wounds to the torso. Police have released no leads or suspects in the shooting at this time.
- Bee Love Slater, 23, a trans woman of color, was found immolated inside her car Wednesday, 4 September in Clewiston, Florida. Arriving on the scene in the early morning, officials state the body was burned unrecognizeable. However, family and friends identified her from the location and car, which was confirmed 6 September by police in a report which deadnamed the victim; some reports indicate the victim might've been bound and shot, prior to immolation, however those reports remain unconfirmed. No motive or lead has been determined at this time; those close to the victim have stated they suspect her murder was likely due to her trans status.
- ""Julie Doe" – Transgender woman likely murdered in 1988, believed to be cisgender for 27 years". Daily Kos. 19 November 2016. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- "New Sketch of 'Julie Doe', Transgender Woman Still Unidentified After 27 Years". Daily Kos. 21 November 2015. Retrieved 27 September 2018.
- Butler, J. (1999). "Gender is Burning: Questions of Appropriation and Subversion". In Thornham, S. (ed.). Feminist Film Theory, a Reader. Edinburgh: Edinburgh University Press.
- Kellaway, Mitch. "After 25 Years, DNA Leads to Arrest in Trans Woman's Murder". The Advocate. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Carranco, Rebeca; García, Jesús (9 October 2011). "Morir por ser transexual". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Flick (10 October 2011). "Se cumplen veinte años de la muerte de Sonia, la mujer transexual asesinada en Barcelona por un grupo de ultraderechistas". Dos Manzanas (in Spanish). Retrieved 2 March 2017.
- Chris Summers, The victims of prejudice, BBC News, 26 December 2003.
- De Jong, Lynda (19 February 1999). "Police seek information in Allston slaying". Boston Globe. p. B5.
- "COLD CASE: A transgender murder in rural Georgia baffles police". myAJC. 7 November 2017.
- Transsexual's death treated as murder, BBC News, 5 April 2000
- "Body-on-a-lilo killer is jailed". BBC News. 26 March 2001. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Wife jailed for shielding ex-partner's killer", BBC News, 10 April 2001.
- Siegal, Nina. "The Crying Game". Salon. Archived from the original on 22 February 2010. Retrieved 26 February 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Segal, Nina (24 July 2000). "Watershed of Mourning at the Border of Gender". New York Regional; the New York Times on the Web. Retrieved 5 November 2008.
- Sycamore, Matt Bernstein (2004). That's Revolting!: Queer Strategies for Resisting Assimilation. Soft Skull Press. pp. 101–02. ISBN 9781932360561. Retrieved 16 November 2008.
- Shepard, Benjamin Heim (2002). "Amanda Milan and The Rebirth of Street Trans Activist Revolutionaries". From ACT UP to the WTO: Urban Protest and Community Building in the Era of Globalization. Verso. pp. 156–63. ISBN 1-85984-356-5.
- Currah, Paisley; Richard M. Juang; Shannon Minter (2006). Transgender Rights. Univ of Minnesota Press. p. 3. ISBN 9780816643127. Retrieved 16 November 2008.
- Gilmer, Ellen (17 September 2009). "Oregon killing of transgendered woman unsolved 8 years later". The Oregonian. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Woolington, Rebecca (25 August 2011). "Washington County cold cases: 10 years after county's only known hate-crime killing, detectives aren't giving up". The Oregonian. Retrieved 14 July 2016.
- Danks, Holly (28 August 2006). "Washington County's only known hate killing unsolved 5 years later". The Oregonian.
- McElroy, Steven (19 June 2006). "What's on Tonight". The New York Times. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
A GIRL LIKE ME: THE GWEN ARAUJO STORY
- Wollaston, Sam (27 May 2005). "Body politics". The Guardian. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Marshall, Carolyn (13 September 2005). "2 Guilty of Murder in Death of a Transgender Teenager". The New York Times. p. 20. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- Zak Szymanski (15 September 2005). "Two murder convictions in Araujo case". Bay Area Reporter. Archived from the original on 1 February 2009. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Shelley, Christopher (2 August 2008). Transpeople: repudiation, trauma, healing. University of Toronto Press. p. 47. ISBN 978-0-8020-9539-8. Retrieved 19 July 2010.
- "Was Shelby Tom's Death a Hate Crime?". The Tyee. 19 October 2011. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Jeremy Hainsworth. "Trans killing not a hate crime". dailyxtra.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Prison à vie pour le meurtrier d'une femme transgenre". 23 June 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- A Direcção e o Grupo de Intervenção Política da Associação ILGA Portugal (1 August 2006). "Associação ILGA Portugal desafia Governo e Parlamento a aprovarem lei da identidade de género". ILGA Portugal (in Portuguese). Archived from the original on 18 December 2009. Retrieved 2 March 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Rodrigues, Catarina Marques. "Gisberta, a transexual que gostava de Marilyn Monroe, acabou morta num poço depois de dias de agressões de 14 menores. Dez anos depois, família e amigos não a esquecem. E os jovens?". Observador (in Portuguese). Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Filho, Mamede (23 February 2016). "A brasileira que virou símbolo LGBT e cujo assassinato levou a novas leis em Portugal" (in Portuguese). BBC. Retrieved 6 March 2017.
- Quesada, Juan Diego (16 May 2010). "Muerte de un transexual". El País (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- Flick (6 April 2010). "Condenadas a 18 años y 9 meses de prisión las dos mujeres que maltrataron hasta la muerte a un chico transexual que les ofreció cobijo". Dos Manzanas (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- V., Javier (23 February 2010). "TODO lo que no se ha dicho sobre el asesinato de Roberto -hombre transexual- el "Brandon Teena español"". Diario Digital Transexual (in Spanish). Retrieved 16 September 2018.
- Spellman, Jim (23 April 2009). "Transgender murder, hate crime conviction a first". DENVER, Colorado: CNN. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Whaley, Monte (31 July 2008). "Transgender victim referred to as "it"". The Denver Post. Greeley, Colorado. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Trial hears 'gay things must die' tape". Logo. Greeley, Colorado: 365gay.com. 21 April 2009.
- "Transgender murder, hate crime conviction a first". CNN. 23 April 2009. Retrieved 11 May 2010.
- "Transgender Legal Defense & Education Fund". Gay History Wiki. July 2009. Retrieved 2 October 2016.
- Ward, Justin (14 October 2015). "Transgender woman murdered in Philadelphia". San Diego Gay and Lesbian News.
- Johnson, Gerry Christopher (2 November 2010). "She lived as a woman, address her as a woman". Philly Weekly. Archived from the original on 5 January 2016. Retrieved 4 November 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Day, Elizabeth. "The extraordinary life and death of David Burgess". The Guardian. Retrieved 9 January 2011.
- Ring, Trudy (26 May 2012). "Newark Man Acquitted in Murder of Transgender Model". The Advocate. Archived from the original on 29 May 2012. Retrieved 4 April 2016 – via Wayback Machine.
- "Police in Arkansas Search for Killer of Trans Woman". advocate.com. Retrieved 25 February 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Jindasurat, Chai (20 November 2012), Transgender Day of Remembrance; Remembering Dee Dee Pearson, retrieved 29 October 2014
- Aegerter, Macradee (4 October 2012). "Man Sentenced in Transgender Murder Case". Kansas City, Missouri: WDAF-TV.
- "Family of slain police informant gets $1M settlement". Detroit News. Retrieved 3 January 2019.
- "Murder may be revenge for drug sting". UPI NewsTrack. 6 January 2012.
- Morgan, Glennisha (21 June 2013). "'Transparent' Documentary Highlights Death of Slain Transgender Woman". HuffPost. Retrieved 10 November 2016.
- "Transgender found dead in Kochi, police suspect murder". Retrieved 17 August 2017.
- Figueroa, Teri. "Man sentenced for killing girlfriend, dog". U-T San Diego. Retrieved 4 November 2017.
- "Transgender Woman Stabbed at DC Bus Stop". wusa9.com. Archived from the original on 4 October 2015. Retrieved 17 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Homicide Watch D.C. "Deoni Jones". Homicide Watch DC. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Anderson-Minshall, Diane (20 November 2012). "13 Transgender Americans Murdered in 2012". The Advocate. Retrieved 3 January 2015.
- Cruz, Elvia (12 March 2012). "La activista transgénero Agnés Torres es hallada muerta en Puebla". Expansion (in Spanish). Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- Rangel, Xóchitl; Beyliss, Marcelo (14 March 2012). "Crimen de activista pudo ser por odio". El Universal (in Spanish). Retrieved 31 July 2016.
- "An Official Response: A Call To End The Inhumane Portrayals of Murdered Trans Women". wehappytrans.com. Retrieved 2 June 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Elmusa, Karmah. "Murder of transgender woman Brandy Martell raises concerns about hate crime". Oakland North. Retrieved 11 March 2015.
- "Transgender Star Lorena Escalera's Murder Still Unsolved a Year After Death". DNAinfo New York. Archived from the original on 20 December 2014. Retrieved 19 December 2014. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Smith, Charlie. "Transgender community and allies remember January Marie Lapuz". The Georgia Straight. Retrieved 12 August 2015.
- "Trans Rapper Murdered: The Official Story vs. The Friend's Story". The TransAdvocate. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Reyes, Traciy (26 January 2015). "Cemia "Cece" Dove, Carl Acoff; Transgender Woman's Pond Murder on TV One Tonight". Inquisitr. Retrieved 8 November 2015.
- "Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2013". The Advocate. 20 November 2013. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- Rodriguez-Jimenez, Jorge. "Florida Man Gets 30 Years in Prison for Murdering Trans Woman". The Advocate. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- McFadden, David (11 August 2013). "In Jamaica, transgender teen killed by mob". Associated Press. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Le meurtre d'un transgenre de 16 ans fait réfléchir la Jamaïque". CBC/Radio-Canada. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- Kellaway, Mitch. "Suspect Indicted in Beating Death of N.Y. Trans Woman Islan Nettles". The Advocate. Retrieved 26 August 2015.
- "James Dixon Pleads Guilty to Manslaughter of Transgender Woman Islan Nettles". NBC News.
- "Man sentenced for Islan Nettles murder". Washington Blade: Gay News, Politics, LGBT Rights.
- Quach, Hoa. "Man sentenced to 26 years for transgender woman's killing". My News LA. Retrieved 29 February 2016.
- Death of Eyricka Morgan, huffintonpost.com, 28 September 2013.
- OEM, Cory (16 October 2013). "Capturan al asesino de un homosexual en Altamira" (in Spanish).
- Shaffer, Cory (5 December 2013). "Cleveland Police believe 52-year-old disabled woman was beaten to death". Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Molly, Parker Marie. "Third Cleveland-Area Trans Woman Murdered in Past Year, Prompting Concern". The Advocate. Retrieved 28 July 2015.
- "Brisbane trans murder: Mayang Prasetyo killed and cooked by chef husband". NewsComAu. 7 October 2014. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- News.com.au (7 October 2014). "Chef who 'cooked and killed' trans wife 'had a dark side'".
- Brennan, Rose; Chamberlin, Thomas; McKenna, Kate; Snowdon, Tom; News.com.au (6 October 2014). "Chef kills, cooks his transsexual wife: cops".
- Kyriacou, Kate (10 October 2014). "Dark history of Marcus and Mayeng". couriermail.com.au. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Kellaway, Mitch. "Transgender Day of Remembrance: Those We've Lost in 2014". The Advocate. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Muere homosexual atacado en hotel". elnacional.com.do. 1 November 2014. Retrieved 20 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Killing of transgender woman in Dominican Republic highlights need for protection against discrimination". caribbeannationalweekly.com. 8 June 2017. Retrieved 20 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Turkey: Teenagers arrested over murder of transgender woman". Pinknews.co.uk. 25 April 2014. Retrieved 12 November 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Edmonton man imprisoned for beating death of transvestite sex-trade worker by Tony Blais of the Edmonton Journal (accessed 9 February 2019)
- "Trans Woman Murdered Outside Her Memphis Home". GayStar News. 9 March 2017. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- "Man arrested for murdering transgender woman". GayStar News. 17 November 2017. Retrieved 17 November 2017.
- Ryan, Kennedy; Cheng, Kimberly. "Transgender Woman Shot, Killed While Pounding on Door of South L.A. Home for Help". KTLA5. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- "Deshawnda Sanchez – The Homicide Report". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "'I think I killed a he/she': American soldier 'confessed he murdered Filipino transgender woman after checking into a hotel and then finding out his date wasn't born female'". Daily Mail. Retrieved 2 January 2015.
- Gomez, Jim; Cerojano, Teresa (12 January 2015). "US Marine found guilty of killing transgender Filipino". Associated Press. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "U.S. Marine Joseph Pemberton charged with killing Filipino transgender". Associated Press. 15 December 2014. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "The Dangers of Being LGBT In 'Tolerant' Philippines". HuffPost. 12 October 2015. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "El ex policía relatará cómo mató a la travesti Pamela Moreno en la ruta 34". Retrieved 18 September 2017.
- "Tokyo transgender man found with face skinned off died of poisoning". The Tokyo Reporter. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Yamamoto, Arata (13 November 2015). "Tokyo Transgender Man Found Dead With Face Skinned Off: Reports". The Washington Post. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Friends of transgender woman Sumaya Dalmar turn their grief into a gift with scholarship fund". CBC News. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- "Louisville Murder Highlights 2015's Already Alarming Anti-LGBT Violence". advocate.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Suzanne Yacka. "NCAVP mourns the death of Papi Edwards, a transgender woman of color killed in Louisville, Kentucky; the seventh homicide of a transgender or gender non-conforming person of color that NCAVP has responded to in 2015". avp.org. Archived from the original on 20 November 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2017. Cite uses deprecated parameter
|deadurl=(help); Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Evidence Contradicts Police Account of Possible Anti-Transgender Hate Crime". BuzzFeed. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "Trans Woman of Color Lamia Beard Murdered in Norfolk". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Transgender woman killed in Texas". The Washington Blade. 28 January 2015.
- "Boyfriend sought in stabbing death of transgender woman in Van Nuys, Calif". LGBTQ Nation. 1 February 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "LA man turns himself in for killing transgender girlfriend". Daily News. New York. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Suspect in Transgender Killing Found Dead, Hanging From a Fence (UPDATE)". SF Weekly. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- "New Orleans Sees Fifth Trans Woman of Color Murdered in U.S. in 2015". Advocate.com. 10 February 2015. Retrieved 26 February 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "22-year-old Ohio Trans Woman Stabbed to Death By Father". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents. 22 February 2015.
- Mark Shrayber. "Father Stabs His Trans Child to Death, Tells Police It Was a Cult". Jezebel. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Adam Ferrisse:work=Cleveland.com. "Akron dad pleads guilty to stabbing son to death". Retrieved 31 August 2015.
- "Death of Miami Transgender Woman Now a Homicide". NBC 6 South Florida. 18 February 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Miami: Seventh Trans Woman Murdered in U.S. in 2015". advocate.com. 20 February 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Man killed in Aurora shooting lived a life marked by joy and pain".
- "Man Shot To Death In Aurora". chicago.cbslocal.com. 7 March 2015. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "London Police Search for Suspect in Murder of Trans Woman Visiting From U.S." 7 April 2015. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Kellaway, Mitch (20 May 2015). "Philadelphia Man Charged with Murder of Trans Woman London Chanel". The Advocate. Retrieved 23 June 2015.
- Baker, Margaret. "Transgender teen is victim of George County murder". Sun Herald. Archived from the original on 20 June 2015. Retrieved 19 June 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Alabama Teen Becomes Ninth Trans Woman Murdered in U.S. in 2015". advocate.com. 19 June 2015. Retrieved 2 June 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Two transgender murders, one city: US fails to track new 'state of emergency'". The Guardian.
- "Ashton O'Hara's Murderer Sentenced to 30–60 Years". Pride Source.
- Wilkinson, Emma. "India Clarke: 10th Trans Woman Killed This Year". NBC News. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Sutter, John (7 July 2016). "#SayHerName: India Clarke". CNN. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Wheeling, Kate (27 July 2015). "The Misgendering of India Clarke – Pacific Standard". Pacific Standard Magazine. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- Kellaway, Mitch (24 July 2015). "WATCH: Fresno, California Murder Marks 11th Killing of a Trans Woman". advocate.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Texas trans woman's murder heightens alarm over frequency of killings in 2015". The Guardian.
- "Amber Monroe Becomes the 12th TWOC Murdered in the US This Year, We Must #SayHerName". Autostraddle. Retrieved 17 October 2015.
- Stafford, Zack (15 August 2015). "Phoenix woman Kandis Capri killed as transgender murders continue". The Guardian. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Tobin, Kim (20 August 2015). "Kandis Capri: Phoenix trandgender woman murdered; family asking for hate crime investigation". KNXV. Archived from the original on 13 May 2016. Retrieved 2 June 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Glenza, Jessica. "Missing transgender woman found dead in 'crude grave' in North Carolina". The Guardian. Retrieved 17 August 2015.
- "Victim Number 17: Trans Woman of Color Murdered in Missouri". advocate.com. Retrieved 17 October 2015. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Kiesha Jenkins Becomes 20th U.S. Trans Woman Murdered This Year". advocate.com. Retrieved 2 June 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "A group of men beat, shoot transgender woman, killing her, Phila. police say". Retrieved 12 November 2016.[dead link]
- Whelan, Aubrey (7 October 2015). "Robbery eyed as motive in death of transgender woman". Philadelphia Daily News. Philadelphia Inquirer. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Man Charged in Shooting Death of Zella Ziona Amid Year of Increased Anti-Trans Violence". Archived from the original on 18 October 2015. Retrieved 18 October 2015. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Morse, Dan (17 October 2015). "Local Arrest made in slaying of transgender woman in Montgomery County". The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Rodriguez, Cecilia (29 September 2015). "Brutal murder of trans woman, prosecutors and the media do not respect their identity" (English Translation). La Izquierda Diario. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- "Por la desaparición de Marcela Chocobar investigan a un ex novio". El Patagónico (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Abeni, Cleis (15 October 2015). "Prominent Activist Becomes Third Trans Woman Recently Murdered in Argentina". The Advocate. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Mascolo, Thomas (14 October 2015). "Encontraron muerta a Diana Sacayan, luchadora contra la transfobia". La Izquierda Diario (in Spanish). Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- Glum, Julia (15 October 2015). "Who Is Diana Sacayán? Transgender Activist in Argentina Found Dead After Possible Hate Crime". International Business Times. Retrieved 4 November 2015.
- Ali, Zulfiqar; Bengali, Shashank (25 May 2016). "Pakistani transgender activist who was shot, then taunted at hospital, dies of injuries". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 12 July 2016.
- "Transgender Woman Murdered and Stuffed in Luggage – Transgender Philippines". 5 June 2016.
- "The Philippine Star – Nation". The Philippine Star. 7 June 2016.
- "Trans rights activist Hande Kader was raped, murdered by unknown cause, and then burned in Turkey". Mic.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Hande Kader: Outcry in Turkey over transgender woman's murder". BBC News. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Transgender woman dies in Chennai, she was found burnt outside a police station". The News Minute. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Busby, Cek (8 February 2016). "trans activist nadine stransen found dead". GaynewsNetwork. Archived from the original on 11 February 2016. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "Justice pour Niurkeli assassinée" (in French). Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- Bona-Sou, Emilia (11 July 2016). "William Lound's killer says he is sorry for "pain and suffering" caused". Southport Visiter. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "William Lound killing: Mum 'devastated' by son's 'transphobic' murder". BBC News. 12 July 2016. Retrieved 13 July 2016.
- "Rouen: enquête après le meurtre d'une femme trans à son domicile". yagg.com. 2 March 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Transgender Muslim woman hacked to death in Russia days after marrying a man". gaystarnews.com. 31 October 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Transgender Muslim woman hacked to death days after father issued chilling threat on TV". Daily Express. 1 November 2016. Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Recibe muestras de cariño Mónica Devain, la "Diva" en su entierro" (in Spanish). launion.com.mx. Retrieved 19 August 2017.
- "Transgender beauty queen's burnt body found in suspected hate crime murder". pinknews.co.uk. 27 July 2016. Retrieved 17 November 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Nieto, Antonio (18 October 2016). "Mata un escolta a travesti en la CDMX y el juez lo deja libre; nadie de su familia vino al funeral". suracapulco.mx (in Spanish). Archived from the original on 29 July 2017.
- Mandujano, Isaín (8 October 2016). "Asesinato de joven transexual indigna a la comunidad gay de Chiapas" (in Spanish). Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Nieto, Antonio (14 October 2016). "Era activista trans asesinada en hotel" [Trans activist murdered in hotel]. elnorte.com (in Spanish). Retrieved 11 December 2016.
- Prakash, Nidhi (1 February 2016). "Monica Loera is reportedly the first trans woman to be murdered this year". Fusion. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- Hernandez, Nina (29 January 2016). "Remembering Monica Loera". Austin Chronicle. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Trans Latina Monica Loera Murdered in Texas, Misgendered by Police and Media for a Week". 30 January 2016. Retrieved 6 February 2016.
- "Advocates Search for Answers in Bakersfield Trans Woman's Killing". advocate.com. 5 March 2016.
- "Friends and Family Mourn Texas Trans Man Nino Acox Jackson". advocate.com. 2 March 2016.
- "Police identify transgender woman stabbed to death in Frankford". 6abc Philadelphia.
- "Two Black Trans Women Killed in 48 Hours". advocate.com. 23 February 2016.
- Abeini, Cleis (29 February 2016). "Black Trans Man Demarkis Stansberry Killed in Louisiana". The Advocate. Retrieved 10 June 2017.
- "Iowa Community Mourns Death of Gender-Fluid Teen Kedarie/Kandicee Johnson". advocate.com. 16 March 2016.
- "Kourtney Yochum Becomes The 7th Reported Trans Person Murdered This Year". HuffPost. 11 November 2016.
- "Kourtney Yochum, 32". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns the Loss of Shante Thompson". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 15 April 2016.
- TEGNA. "2 beaten, fatally shot along Midtown roadway". KHOU. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Transgender Woman Found Dead, Beaten in Maryland Hotel Room". NBC4 Washington.
- Human Rights Campaign. "HRC Mourns Keyonna Blakeney". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Man [sic] stabbed to death in southwest Wichita". kansas.com. Retrieved 21 May 2016. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "The Walker Family Calls for Action and Healing in Wichita, Kansas in Response to the Murder of Reese Walker, a Transgender Black Woman". HuffPost. 12 May 2016. Retrieved 21 May 2016.
- "Mercedes Successful Becomes 12th Transgender Person Killed in 2016". advocate.com. 19 May 2016.
- "Transgender man dies after attack". Burlington Free Press. 29 May 2016.
- Brighe, Mari (15 June 2016). "Trans Woman Killed in New Orleans, Police Considering Hate Crime". Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "DC transgender woman shot in neck on Fourth of July dies at hospital". fox5dc.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Stafford, Zach (26 July 2016). "Navy sailor charged in death of black transgender woman in Mississippi". The Guardian.
- "Dee Whigham, transgender Mississippi woman, killed after being stabbed in the face". al.com. Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- Brighe, Mari. "Skye Mockabee Is 17th Trans Person Murdered in the U.S; this Year". advocate.com.
- "Transgender woman found dead in Cleveland parking lot". The Plain Dealer.
- "Erykah Tijerina, Transgender Woman, Found Dead in El Paso Home". mic.com. Retrieved 12 November 2016.
- "Rae'Lynn Thomas, 28, was shot at home August 10", advocate.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Family of Columbus woman killed call it a hate crime". 10tv.com. 12 August 2016. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Rae'Lynn Thomas, Ohio Transgender Woman, Killed by Mom's Ex Who Called Her "Satan"". mic.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Two More Transgender Deaths Reported; Possible Homicides". advocate.com.
- "Transgender woman found slain on Chicago's West Side". windycitymediagroup.com. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Transgender Woman Found Slain on Chicago's West Side". HuffPost. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Man [sic] Found Dead With Throat Slit on West Side". cbslocal.com. 12 September 2016.
- "Murder of trans woman in Baltimore nearly ties grim national record". LGBTQ Nation. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Another black transgender woman has been murdered, this time in Alabama". LGBTQ Nation. Retrieved 7 October 2016.
- "Transgender woman found dead in Cleveland with plastic bag around head". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 13 October 2016.
- "[UPDATED] Death of Boise State Student Raises Questions of Foul Play – VIDEO". Towleroad. 26 October 2016. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "After missing Boise teen's body found in creek, family convinced she was murdered". idahostatesman. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Transgender Woman Shot to Death in Virginia". advocate.com. Retrieved 9 November 2016.
- "Virginia Woman Is 27th Trans Person Murdered in 2016". Retrieved 10 January 2017.
- "Família acredita que travesti foi morta por inveja em Capão da Canoa, no RS" (in Portuguese). globo.com. 18 January 2016.
- "Travesti é assassinado com 15 tiros em via pública de Ribeirão" (in Portuguese). novamais.com. Retrieved 11 November 2016.
- "Brazil: Two More Trans Women Murdered". planettransgender.com. 29 February 2016.
- "Brasil Transwoman murdered and a non-binary trans person attacked". planettransgender.com. 9 June 2016.
- "Three Brazilian Trans females murdered". planettransgender.com. 28 April 2016.
- "Four more Brazilian trans women murdered". planettransgender.com. 13 May 2016.
- "Two transgender Pakistanis tortured to death in Saudi Arabia". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Transgender shot dead". Retrieved 15 August 2017.
- "Police clueless about attackers as transwoman shot dead in DHA". The News International.
- "Police find beheaded body of transgender person". news24.com. Retrieved 23 October 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Pakistan police recover brutally tortured body of transgender in Peshawar city". International Business Times. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Morgue refuses to keep transgender's body as its 'freezers will get dirty'". The Express Tribune. Retrieved 23 October 2017.
- "Killing of transgender woman in Dominican Republic highlights need for protection against discrimination". Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Trans advocates call for protection of sex workers after Pointe St. Charles murder". Retrieved 20 September 2017.
- "Body found in Toronto ravine identified as Alloura Wells, police say". CBC News. Retrieved 27 June 2019.
- "Transgender Woman's Corpse Found in Usulután". Retrieved 7 September 2017.
- "A transvestite was murdered". Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "Police attempts to locate the partner of a transexual who was murdered". Retrieved 18 December 2017.
- "A gay activist's alleged murderer was arrested". Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "Yadira, a 50-year-old transexual, is stabbed to death inside a bar in Tehuacán, Puebla". Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "A transvestite was found after being shot". Retrieved 17 December 2017.
- "Transvestite found in the roads of Tlaltizapán". Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "The body of the transsexual woman, whose legal name was that of Jorge Negrete, presented a blunt blow to the head". Retrieved 18 August 2017.
- "The transvestite who was killed in las Cruces this Sunday in Acapulco, was identified". Retrieved 24 March 2018.
- "A young man who was beaten to death, was buried today". Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "A young man who was beaten to death, was buried today". Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "A transvestite from Tepexco was murdered in Morelos". Retrieved 6 September 2017.
- "A gay community member was killed today". Retrieved 20 December 2017.
- "Suspect arrested in Sioux Falls homicide investigation". KSFY. 8 January 2017. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Ring, Trudy (6 January 2017). "Trans Woman Murdered in Mississippi; First of 2017". advocate.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Ring, Trudy (17 February 2017). "Ohio Woman Is 2017's Third Transgender Murder Victim". advocate.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Jaquarrius Holland, 18-year-old trans woman, killed in Louisiana, misgendered in reports". 28 February 2017. Retrieved 28 February 2017.
- Ring, Trudy (23 February 2017). "Trans Woman of Color Murdered in Chicago". advocate.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Cherney, Elyssa. "Chicago homicide victim identified as second transgender woman killed in 6 months". Chicago Tribune. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- "Transgender woman Chyna Gibson shot and killed in New Orleans". 26 February 2017. Retrieved 26 February 2017.
- Rodriguez, Mathew (27 February 2017). "Ciara McElveen, transgender woman, killed in New Orleans". Mic. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Ciara McElveen 2nd Trans Woman of Color Murdered During Mardi Gras Weekend". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents. 28 February 2017. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Alphonza Watson, Trans Woman Shot Dead in Baltimore". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 23 March 2017.
- Rodriguez, Mathew (22 April 2017). "Transgender woman Chay Reed shot and killed in Miami". Mic. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Rook, Erin (9 May 2017). "Police arrest suspect in murder of trans man beaten with pipe on NYC sidewalk". LGBTQ Nation. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- "We Got It Wrong". LOGO News. 5 August 2017. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Charlotte assault victim found by dumpster in November dies. Case is now a homicide". charlotteobserver. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Taylor, Jeff (20 May 2017). "Trans woman Sherrell Faulkner dies from injuries sustained in November attack". LGBTQ Nation. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Rook, Erin (7 June 2017). "Misgendered by media, Kenne McFadden is the 12th reported trans murder victim". LGBTQ Nation. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Kendra Adams, Trans Woman Murdered in Ithaca, NY". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 16 June 2017.
- Johnson, Joe. "Judge grants bail in Athens transgender murder case". Athen Barron Herald. Retrieved 22 August 2017.
- Eldridge, Ellen. "Man (sic) claims self-defense in transgender teen's shooting death, faces murder charge". Atlanta Journal-Constitution. Retrieved 28 June 2017.
- Hennie, Matt. "Feud between two trans women left Atlanta teen shot dead". Project Q. Retrieved 5 July 2017.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Ava Le'Ray Barrin, Trans Woman Killed in Georgia". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 4 September 2017.
- Cole, Christopher. "Lynchburg police: Fatal shooting victim identified as transgender". NewsAdvance.com. Retrieved 3 July 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Transgender woman murdered outside Atlanta-area apartment complex". Georgia Voice – Gay & LGBT Atlanta News. 1 August 2017. Retrieved 3 August 2017.
- Ring, Trudy (6 August 2017). "Texan Is 17th Transgender American Murdered in 2017". advocate.com. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- Rotuno-Johnson, Michelle (30 August 2017). "Inmate assaulted in Mansfield prison has died, Ohio patrol says". NBC4 WCMH-TV. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Young man missing for weeks brutally murdered in Texas county". ky3.com. Retrieved 26 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "HRC Mourns the Loss of Ally Steinfeld, a Trans Teen Murdered in Missouri". hrc.org. Retrieved 26 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Suspect in custody after deadly stabbing". whec.com. Retrieved 4 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Police charge Gates woman with roommate's murder". 13wham.com. Retrieved 6 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Derricka Banner killed in Charlotte, becomes 19th transgender person murdered in 2017". goqnotes.com. Retrieved 14 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "'Sweet' transgender woman remembered for enjoying life, dancing". Copus Christi Caller Times. Retrieved 10 October 2017.
- "Macon homicide victim identified as missing person". The Telegraph, Macon. Retrieved 2 November 2017.
- "Police arrest man after body found in Oklahoma City hotel room". kfor.com. 21 December 2017.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Brandi Seals, a Black Trans Woman Murdered in Houston". Human Rights Campaign.
- Rogers, John (18 December 2017). "Englewood neighbors shocked after woman murders her wife, confesses in 911 call". WFLA. Retrieved 10 August 2019.
- "Investigan el crimen de una joven trans en una pensión en Córdoba". lavoz.com. Retrieved 10 November 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Imputaron por femicidio al sospechoso de matar a Azul". lavoz.com. Retrieved 10 November 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Gerdes, Stefanie (9 March 2017). "Trans woman pleads for her life as men torture and stone her to death". GayStar News. Retrieved 9 March 2017.
- "Travesti e morta durante assalto em ponto de prostituição em Mato Grosso". g1.globo.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Trans woman dies after being stabbed in the neck in Brazil". PinkNews. Retrieved 10 April 2017.
- "One more trans woman killed". gaynewseurope.com. Retrieved 10 April 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Em áudio, traficante confessou ter ordenado morte de homem trans". correio24horas.com.br. Retrieved 25 October 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Travesti é assassinada a tiros por motociclista em Rondonópolis (MT)". g1.globo.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Travesti é morta com requintes de crueldade em pátio de supermercado em MT". g1.globo.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Travesti é encontrada morta dentro de sua casa". portal.tododia.uol.com.br. Retrieved 14 September 2017.
- "Travesti é atropelada em MT e tem morte cerebral decretada". g1.globo.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Transsexual woman is killed with shears in Poços de Caldas". otempo.com.br. Retrieved 4 September 2017. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Travesti é encontrada morta com faca cravada no rosto em Sorriso (MT)". g1.globo.com. Retrieved 15 September 2017.
- "Pour la société, une "pute" trans qui se fait tuer, ce n'est rien, c'est personne". KOMITID (in French). 24 August 2018. Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "On peut parler d'un crime motivé, possiblement, par trois caractéristiques de la victime : meurtre transphobe, putophobe et raciste". Libération.fr (in French). Retrieved 24 August 2018.
- "Meurtre d'une prostituée trans à Paris : les limites de la pénalisation des clients". Le Monde.fr (in French). Retrieved 27 August 2018.
- Suri, Manveena (28 May 2018). "Indian mob kills transgender woman over fake rumors spread on WhatsApp". CNN. Retrieved 28 May 2018.
- "Sex and drug binge murderer jailed". BBC. 1 November 2018. Retrieved 14 January 2019.
- "Transgender in Pakistan set on fire for resisting sexual assault". The Times of India. 9 September 2018. Retrieved 20 November 2018.
- "Trans Woman Who Resisted Sexual Assault Burned to Death in Pakistan". 10 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- "A Transexual was killed while boarding taxi in Mexico City" (in Spanish).
- "A Transexual was killed in the downtown of Tepic" (in Spanish).
- "Trans woman found dead in Veracruz motel, she was beheaded" (in Spanish).
- "Transgender woman killed inside her home" (in Spanish).
- "Transexual beauty wueen murdered in Culiacan" (in Spanish).
- "A young transexual was murdered" (in Spanish).
- "Transexual woman killed inside her home" (in Spanish).
- "Trans hairdresser beaten to death in Aguascalientes" (in Spanish).
- "Trans woman murdered in Morelos nightclub" (in Spanish).
- "45-year-old transexual murdered in Mexico State" (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "Gay beauty queen found tortured and killed with barbed wire in Veracruz" (in Spanish). Retrieved 29 July 2018.
- "The corpse of a murdered transvestite was found in Atzompa" (in Spanish).
- "Armed gunmen shot transvestite" (in Spanish). Retrieved 5 September 2018.
- "Trans activist Asuani, killed in Guerrero" (in Spanish).
- "Hate crime in Veracruz, killed after 4 days of being kidnapped" (in Spanish).
- "Transgender woman killed by gunshot in Guanajuato" (in Spanish).
- "Miss Trans America founder first known trans woman killed in US this year". The Independent. 10 January 2018.
- "Christa Leigh Steele-Knudslien is the First Known Transgender Woman Killed in 2018".
- "Viccky Gutierrez becomes the second known transgender murder in the U.S. this year".
- "Man is charged in the stabbing death of Pico-Union house fire victim".
- Moreno, Carolina (9 February 2018). "Tonya Harvey Is The Third Known Trans Person To Be Killed This Year". HuffPost. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Transgender Women Tonya Harvey & Celine Walker Murdered". Democracy Now!. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Helm, Angela. "Yet Another Black Transgender Woman Killed; Friends Up in Arms Because She Was Misgendered". The Root. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Transgender woman killed in Cleveland remembered as loving partner". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Zakaria Fry | Human Rights Campaign". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "Amia Tyrae Berryman, Another Trans Black Woman, Has Been Killed". Essence. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Sasha Wall | Human Rights Campaign". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 7 April 2018.
- "These Are the Trans People Killed in 2018". 7 September 2018. Retrieved 11 September 2018.
- HRC Mourns Nino Fortson, Transgender Man Fatally Shot in Atlanta – HRC(26 July 2018)
- hospital after being fatally shot, – Mic(25 July 2018)
- Woman charged with murder after downtown Portland shooting – KGW8(26 July 2018)
- "Jacksonville Police Investigating Third Death of Transgender Woman Since February".
- Black transgender woman who was shot to death 18 June in Meridian, Mississippi – HRC
- Transgender woman found shot to death in Cleveland parking lot – LGBTQ Nation(26 July 2018)
- Sasha Garden, a 27-year-old transgender woman, was found dead in Orlando – Mic(25 July 2018)
- Prosecutors: Teen had sexual relationship with trans woman he allegedly shot. Retrieved 9 February 2019 (The Chicago Sun Times)
- "Ciara Minaj Carter Frazier is 22nd Transgender Homicide Victim in 2018". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents. 5 October 2018.
- Killings of transgender people in the US saw another high year by Jen Christensen ([[CNN}]]) (Accessed 9 February 2019)
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Tydi Dansbury". Human Rights Campaign.
- "NCAVP Mourns The Death of Tydi, A Transgender Woman, in Baltimore, MD". 30 November 2018.
- "Baltimore police investigate trans woman's death as homicide – PinkNews · PinkNews". pinknews.co.uk. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Kelli Busey. "Trans woman 'Tydi' murdered Baltimore" – via YouTube.
- Detroit pastor charged with transgender woman's murder by Tim Fitzsimons of the Associated Press (Accessed 9 February 2019)
- "В Прикамье нашли мертвым 19-летнего студента-трансгендера". 59.ru (in Russian). 18 June 2019. Retrieved 11 September 2019.
- Renteria, Nelson (23 February 2019). "Trans asylum-seeker killed after U.S. deportation back to El Salvador". Reuters. Retrieved 3 May 2019.
- Power, Shannon. "Trans woman targeted and shot to death at family gathering in Mexico". Gay Star News. Retrieved 9 August 2019.
- "Transgender woman decapited in Veracruz, head place in front of town hall". Gay Star News. 28 May 2019. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- Villarreal, Daniel (29 May 2019). "Murderers cut off a trans woman's head and left it in front of city hall". www.queerty.com. Retrieved 29 May 2019.
- Jeréz Reyes, Daniela (27 May 2019). "Asesinan de dos balazos a joven gay en Misantla, Veracruz". Radio Fórmula (in Spanish). Retrieved 21 June 2019.
- "Alabama Woman Is First Trans Murder Victim of 2019". advocate.com. 9 January 2019. Retrieved 10 January 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- "Alabama woman becomes first trans person reported killed in 2019". al.com. Retrieved 10 January 2019. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Dana Martin, First Known Trans Person Killed in 2019". Human Rights Campaign.
- "NCAVP mourns the death of Jazzaline Ware, a Black trans woman in Memphis, Tennessee". NYC Anti-Violence Project. 15 March 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- "Remembering Our Dead - Jazzaline Ware (25 Mar 2019)". Remembering Our Dead. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- "Transgender in the South: New Study Shines Light on Oppression". www.advocate.com. 14 May 2019. Retrieved 16 August 2019.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns Loss of Ashanti Carmon". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- Jr, Stephen A. Crockett. "#SayHerName: Ashanti Carmon, Transgender Woman, Shot and Killed in Maryland". The Root. Retrieved 2 April 2019.
- Schmidt, Samantha (6 April 2019). "As a homeless transgender woman, she had turned to sex work to survive. Then she was killed". The Washington Post. Retrieved 8 August 2019.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns the Loss of Claire Legato". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Trans woman passes away after fatal shot to the head". Gay Star News. 15 May 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Transgender Woman Muhlaysia Booker Found Dead In East Dallas". 19 May 2019. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- "Transgender Woman Badly Beaten In Viral Video Speaks Out, Thanks Community For Support". 20 April 2019. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- Fortin, Jacey (19 May 2019). "A Transgender Woman Who Was Attacked in Dallas Last Month Has Been Found Dead". The New York Times. ISSN 0362-4331. Retrieved 20 May 2019.
- Transgender Woman Badly Beaten In Viral Video Speaks Out For First Time
- "Dallas Man Charged With Killing Transgender Woman Muhlaysia Booker". Huffington Post. 13 June 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "HRC Mourns the Loss of Michelle "Tamika" Washington". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Longtime Transgender Advocate Gunned Down On North Philadelphia Street". 20 May 2019. Retrieved 21 May 2019.
- "Transwoman shot to death in North Philadelphia on Sunday". www.epgn.com. 20 May 2019. Retrieved 22 May 2019.
- Dado, Larry Spruill, Natasha (26 May 2019). "Memorial Day weekend off to violent start in Detroit". WDIV. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- Assunção, Muri. "Transgender woman, 2 men killed in Detroit after deadly shooting over Memorial Day weekend". nydailynews.com. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- News, A. B. C. "Violent start to Pride month highlights uptick in LGBTQ violence". ABC News. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- "Detroit man charged in deaths of gay men, transgender woman". AP NEWS. 7 June 2019. Retrieved 9 June 2019.
- Press Conference June 1, 2019, Dallas Police Department
- "Transgender woman found in White Rock Lake was slain, Dallas police say". Dallas News. 3 June 2019. Retrieved 3 June 2019.
- CNN, Emanuella Grinberg. "The body of another transgender woman has been found in Dallas". CNN. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Dallas Police Charge Man With Murder Of Transgender Woman Found In White Rock Lake, Chynal Lindsey". CBS Dallas. 20 June 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- Moore, Robert (2 June 2019). "Transgender woman migrant who had been in ICE custody dies after falling ill". The Washington Post. Retrieved 4 June 2019.
- Levin, Sam (3 June 2019). "Trans woman seeking asylum dies after pleading for medical help in US custody". The Guardian. ISSN 0261-3077. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Transgender asylum-seeker dies after six weeks in ICE custody". NBC News. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Transgender asylum seeker from El Salvador held by ICE dies at El Paso hospital". El Paso Times. Retrieved 5 June 2019.
- "Black Trans Woman Murdered in North Carolina Is Ninth This Year". www.advocate.com. 6 June 2019. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- Campaign, Human Rights. "#AM_Equality: June 7, 2019". Human Rights Campaign. Retrieved 7 June 2019.
- "Chanel Scurlock is the fifth trans woman killed in last month". The Daily Dot. 11 June 2019. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- Staff, WMBF News. "Deputies identify victim in early morning homicide; search for suspect continues". WMBF News. Retrieved 12 June 2019.
- "Man arrested in shooting death of transgender woman, Chanel Scurlock, found in Lumberton field". ABC 11. 12 June 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "Second transgender woman murdered in Washington suburb in three months". NBC News. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- "Trans Woman Murdered in D.C. Suburb Is Second This Year". www.advocate.com. 14 June 2019. Retrieved 15 June 2019.
- Bui, Lynh (15 June 2019). "Police identify transgender woman found slain in D.C. suburb". The Washington Post.
- "Baltimore man charged in murder of transgender woman". New York Post. 22 July 2019. Retrieved 23 July 2019.
- "South Carolina death marks 14th black transgender woman killed in U.S. this year". DNyuz. 10 August 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- Way, Rob. "Friends remember transgender woman shot and killed in N. Charleston". www.live5news.com. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Denali Berries Stuckey Is 12th Black Trans Woman Murdered in 2019". www.out.com. 21 July 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Woman found dead in west Houston parking lot". ABC13 Houston. 30 July 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- Roberts, Monica (14 August 2019). "TransGriot: Number 16- Rest in Power and Peace Tracy Single". TransGriot. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- "Tracy Single Is the 16th Trans Person Murdered in 2019". www.out.com. 15 August 2019. Retrieved 15 August 2019.
- News, A. B. C. "Transgender woman's murder underscores problem of partner violence: Advocates". ABC News. Retrieved 13 September 2019.
- "Kiki Fantroy Is 13th Black Trans Woman Reportedly Murdered in 2019". www.out.com. 5 August 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Kiki Fantroy Is (at Least) the 13th Black Trans Woman Killed in 2019". www.advocate.com. 5 August 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Teen Arrested in Murder of Miami-Dade Transgender Woman". NBC 6 South Florida. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Black Trans Woman Shot And Killed In Miami, Suspect Arrested". Essence. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- email@example.com, Gregory Yee. "Second transgender woman of color shot to death in SC in 15 days". Post and Courier. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Dayton Shooter's Slain Brother Was Reportedly a Trans Man". www.out.com. 8 August 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Report: Sibling Killed in Dayton Shooting Was Trans Man Jordan Cofer". www.advocate.com. 7 August 2019. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- O'Neill, Natalie (9 August 2019). "Dayton shooter Connor Betts' slain sister was a transgender man: report". New York Post. Retrieved 11 August 2019.
- "Neighbors heard gunshots, screams after transgender woman shot and killed on Labor Day". WMAR. 4 September 2019. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- "Baltimore Violence Continues Over Labor Day Weekend, With Two Killed On The Holiday". 3 September 2019. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- "Deputies found a body in a burned vehicle in Clewiston". www.nbc-2.com. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- Tomlinson, Gina (6 September 2019). "Transgender woman in Hendry County may have died in targeted attack". WINK NEWS. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- "Black Trans Woman Bee Love Was 21 When She Was Murdered in Clewiston, Florida This Week". Pittsburgh Lesbian Correspondents. 6 September 2019. Retrieved 6 September 2019.
- "Murder Victim in Florida Identified as Transgender Woman Bee Love Slater | NewNowNext". www.newnownext.com. Retrieved 9 September 2019.
- "Florida Trans Woman Bee Love Slater Found Burned to Death in Car". www.advocate.com. 9 September 2019. Retrieved 9 September 2019.