The Museum of Broadcast Communications is an American museum, the stated mission of, "to collect and present historic and contemporary radio and television content as well as educate and entertain through our archives, public programs, exhibits and online access to our resources." It is located in Chicago. The Museum of Broadcast Communications was founded in 1982 but didn't open until June 1987 in the River City condominium complex, located at 800 S. Wells St, it remained there until June 1992. The MBC left the Cultural Center in December 2003, with plans to open in a new building of its own at 360 N. State St. in 2005. Subsequently, construction of the new MBC experienced various delays and setbacks, with construction stopping in 2006 and the half-completed building slated to be sold in December 2008, which MBC founder and president Bruce DuMont blamed on a lack of $6 million in state funding, promised to the museum three years earlier. On November 7, 2009, DuMont announced that funding for the museum from the state of Illinois had been obtained and that construction would begin once again.
Seven months Governor Pat Quinn stated that Illinois would give the MBC a capital grant of $6 million to help complete its construction. The new 62,000-square-foot MBC was back under construction in 2010, it was set to include expanded areas for collection development, two exhibit galleries, working radio and television studios. The State of Illinois set a deadline of May 2011 to finish basic interior work and landscaping, but because of cold weather, the museum was given a 30-day extension on its original April 30 deadline. Shortly before the museum reopened, the Chicago Tribune reported that Bruce DuMont had obtained the aforementioned $6 million grant "after telling the state he intended to create 200 yearlong construction jobs and 19 museum staff positions," but he expected the museum to have only 11 part-time workers by the time of the reopening and said that 180-200 construction workers, employed for as much as ten months and as little as several days, helped finish the new building.
When asked to explain why the number, duration, of jobs created was lower than what he'd promised to the state legislature, Dumont replied, in an email, "If the MBC can manage our operations with fewer people and do so efficiently, we will do so, just like the Chicago Tribune has done." DuMont told the Tribune that waiters, hotel employees, other members of the service industry would find employment in restaurants and hotels surrounding the museum, because of the reopening, that the MBC could inspire people to seek out careers in broadcasting. "I think inspiration is a form of job creation," DuMont said, "because it changes one life."After being dormant for eight and a half years as a brick-and-mortar destination, the museum reopened in its new location at 360 N. State St. on June 13, 2012 25 years after it first opened its doors. The pre-opening ceremony on June 12 included actors John Mahoney and Betty White and newscaster Hugh Downs. According to a February 2011 press release centered on the MBC's partnership with Cleversafe to provide online access to its archives 70,000 registered users and 4.5 million unique visitors had accessed the MBC's 400,000 online videos between 2009 and early 2011, more than "240,000 visitors from across the country are projected for the first year of operation."
However, museum attendance "dropped drastically, from 225,000 annual visitors when MBC was at the Cultural Center and free to 7,300 last year at the current entrance fee of $12," reported the Chicago Reader in May 2015. "Then in 2013, what DuMont describes as a'server crash' destroyed access to the 10 percent of the museum's archive of radio and television programming, digitized and made available to the public for free."In December 2012 Crain's Chicago Business reported that the MBC "now owes less than $3 million on a mortgage held by Pepper and has arranged another three years for paying down that debt." More than four and a half years in July 2017, Crain's revealed that the MBC's mortgage deadline had been pushed back from the end of 2015 to the end of 2017, that as of August 2016 the museum "owed $2.5 million to Pepper Construction". Four weeks Crain's reported that Pepper Construction had granted the MBC another year to pay off its debt, extending the mortgage deadline to December 31, 2018.
In September 2017 the MBC announced the debut of "Saturday Night Live: The Experience," a 12,000-square-foot exhibit acquired from Premier Exhibitions, set to open the following month and run through the end of 2018 on the museum's second and fourth floors. "It's a grab for the gold ring," MBC president Bruce DuMont told the Chicago Tribune. "I think it's going to change the museum for the
The Council for the Protection of Struggle and Martyrdom Sites is a Polish government body charged with the preservation of historical sites of wartime persecution of the Polish nation. It was set up by Act of Parliament on 2 July 1947 and, since 1988, is under the direct responsibility of the Prime Minister's Office. Members of the Council are appointed by the Prime Minister for four-year terms; the Chairman of the Council is Władysław Bartoszewski. The Council's tasks include providing logistical help to museums of fight and martyrdom and offering consultation and advice to leading Polish museums of World War II in particular Auschwitz-Birkenau, Treblinka, Stalag Łambinowice, Żabikowo Fort VII, Gross-Rosen in Rogoźnica, Radogoszcz station and museum; the Council is responsible for scheduling and organizing celebrations and publishing projects, as well as popularizing in mass media the historical facts and notable persons associated with the struggle for freedom and wartime martyrdom of the nation.
The Council is in charge of assessing the current state of the sites of national memory, the public monuments and mass graves of victims of Nazi and Soviet terror, places of battles, including their commemoration initiatives. Office for War Veterans and Victims of Oppression Official site
Hattie A. Peterson Oberg was a pitcher who played in the All-American Girls Professional Baseball League, she played under Hattie Peterson. A native of Winnebago, Hattie was one of nine children born to Walter and Hattie LaTour Peterson, of Scandinavian ancestry, she joined the All American League with the Rockford Peaches club, where she spent two seasons from 1948–1949. She was forced to retire after injuring her throwing arm. Afterwards, she moved with her family to Arizona. In the late 1950s, Hattie worked in manufacturing for the Motorola research and development laboratory in Phoenix until her retirement in the 1990s. Hattie returned to Illinois in 2007, where she lived most of her life. In her spare time, she enjoyed playing the accordion; as a result, she entertained fellow retirement home residents. In addition, she was a diedhard Chicago Cubs fan, as she lived to see her loved team win the 2016 World Series. In 1988, Hattie A. Peterson Oberg received further recognition when she became part of Women in Baseball, a permanent display based at the Baseball Hall of Fame and Museum in Cooperstown, New York, unveiled to honor the entire All-American Girls Professional Baseball League.
She died in 2017 in Mount Morris, Illinois, at the age of 86