Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army
|Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army|
|Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army||Gerald B. O'Keefe|
|Deputy Administrative Assistant||Mark F. Averill|
The Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army (OAA) has a primary mission, as specified in Title 10 of the United States Code and reiterated in General Orders and Regulations, to provide direct support to the Secretary of the Army, the Under Secretary of the Army and other Army presidential appointees.
In accordance with Army Regulation (AR) 25–59, OAA's office symbol is SAAA.
In 1789 Congress enacted legislation that provided for a Chief Clerk to assist the secretary of war, as the young nation grew, the duties and responsibilities for the Office of the Chief Clerk also grew. The associated organizational entities significantly expanded and the title changed. Yet, throughout this long history, the tradition of unobtrusive, dedicated service remained a constant in the office known today as the Office of the Administrative Assistant (OAA) to the Secretary of the Army, the Administrative Assistant has duties in Executive Services and Operations Support and Business Activities.
The Executive Services function comprises special staff elements formed to assist the Administrative Assistant in carrying out Title 10 responsibilities: maintaining custody of all records, books, and papers of the Department of the Army; acting on behalf of the Secretary on administrative matters; providing advice on management issues and administrative continuity within the Army during normal changes; and serving as the primary Army point of contact for transitions between Presidential Administrations.
Operations Support and Business Activities
In addition to its Headquarters element, business activities are carried out through field operating agencies that provide administrative products and operational services to a diverse and dynamic customer base in two distinct functional areas: U.S. Army Headquarters Services, and Center of Military History, the customer base encompasses the Office of the Secretary of Defense, Defense agencies, and the Service Departments, as well as the Army’s Headquarters, Staff support, and field operating agencies. The OAA is also engaged in collateral agreements and customer/provider relationships with other Federal agencies, its geographic network of products and services includes the Pentagon, major commands within the National Capital Region, and field agencies worldwide.
Mission, Vision, and Motto
The Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army provides executive-level administrative support to the Secretary of the Army and senior army leaders. OAA manages resources for Headquarters, Department of the Army; and manages the army publishing, records management, and historical and heraldry programs. OAA also provides visual information services, security, safety, and other support services to a diverse customer base.
The primary mission, as specified in Title 10 of the United States Code and reiterated in General Orders #3 and Army Regulations, is to provide direct support to the Secretary of the Army and other Army political appointees. Click here to view a full listing of Title 10 Administrative Assistant duties.
An innovative, results-oriented organization recognized for service and workforce excellence.
Service and Workforce Excellence
OAA has three principle components (as shown above in Components) and a multitude of sub-components shown in the organization chart and below.
- OAA Headquarters
- Administrative Assistant's Action Group
- Chief Attorney
- Civilian Aides to the Secretary of the Army
- Information Technology Liaison Cell
- Diversity and Equal Employment Opportunity
- Human Resource Management Directorate
- OAA Executive Services
- Resource Services - Washington
- Special Programs Directorate
- US Army Headquarters Services
- Army Multimedia and Visual Information Directorate
- Army Publishing Directorate (APD)
- Pentagon Chaplain
- Directorate of Executive Travel
- Real Estate and Facilities-Army
- Records Management and Declassification Agency
- HQDA Directorate of Mission Assurance
- Support Services-Washington
- Center for Military History
- Field Programs and Historical Services
- The Institute of Heraldry
- The National Museum of the US Army
- "OAA Vision & Mission", OAA, 2010
- "Information Management: Records Management - Office Symbols", AR 25–59, Headquarters Department of the Army, 14 August 2007 
- "Who We Are, 2008". Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- "Executive Services, 2008". Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- "Operations Support and Business Activities, 2008". Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. Retrieved 2008-01-01.
- "Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army", OAA, 2009 
- "OAA Organizational Structure, 2008". Office of the Administrative Assistant to the Secretary of the Army. Retrieved 2017-06-17.