SUMMARY / RELATED TOPICS

Pendentive

In architecture, a pendentive is a constructional device permitting the placing of a circular dome over a square room or of an elliptical dome over a rectangular room. The pendentives, which are triangular segments of a sphere, taper to points at the bottom and spread at the top to establish the continuous circular or elliptical base needed for a dome. In masonry the pendentives thus receive the weight of the dome, concentrating it at the four corners where it can be received by the piers beneath. Prior to the pendentive's development, builders used the device of corbelling or squinches in the corners of a room. Pendentives occurred in Orthodox and Baroque churches, with a drum with windows inserted between the pendentives and the dome; the first experimentation with pendentives began with Roman dome construction in the 2nd–3rd century AD, while full development of the form came in the 6th-century Eastern Roman Hagia Sophia at Constantinople. Squinch Heinle, Erwin. Entwicklung, Konstruktion", Architectura, 15, pp. 117–139

Norman Ollestad

Norman Ollestad is an American author. At the age of eleven, he was the only survivor of a plane crash, he wrote about it in his 2009 bestseller Crazy For The Storm: A Memoir Of Survival. His subsequent book, French Girl with Mother, a novel, came out in October 2016. Ollestad was born to Norman and Doris Ollestad, was raised in Topanga Beach, California, he was thrust into the world of surfing and competitive downhill skiing at a young age by his father and said that he resented losing his childhood to his father’s reckless and demanding adventures. He became a competitive hockey player and skier, winning the Southern California Slalom Skiing Championship at age 11. Norman was called "Boy Wonder" by his father. Norman lived much of his early life at his mother's house, where his mom's boyfriend Nick stayed. Norman tried to avoid Nick by spending time with his dog, Sunny, or down a canyon near his house where he had made a fort, or at the house of his unofficial godmother, Eleanor Kendall. On February 19, 1979, a chartered Cessna carrying 11-year-old Ollestad, his father, his father’s girlfriend, the pilot, crashed into Southern California’s San Gabriel Mountains.

Ollestad’s father died in the crash, the pilot shortly after. Suspended at over 8,000 feet and engulfed in a blizzard, Ollestad descended the mountain with Sandra, his father's girlfriend, but she died after a fall down a chute. Norman was the sole survivor of the crash, he told the Los Angeles Times that “My dad told me never to give up.”Ollestad traveled to St. Anton in the Austrian Alps, decided to become a writer, he returned to Los Angeles and enrolled in UCLA Film School, where he studied creative writing. In 2006, Ollestad began the process of returning to the painful memories of the crash in preparation for writing Crazy For The Storm. Returning to the crash site, Ollestad found pieces of wreckage, reconnected with the family who had given him shelter once he reached safety. On in his life, Norman got married and had a son named Noah, he treated his son like his father had treated him, teaching his son skiing and surfing, but allowing him to choose his own pace instead of forcing it upon him.

Crazy For The Storm: A Memoir of Survival is Norman Ollestad's 2009 bestselling book. Set in Malibu and Mexico in the late 1970s, the memoir describes the bohemian surf culture of Southern California and Ollestad's conflicted feelings towards his father; the story recounts the tests of skill that prepared Norman to become a surfer and ski champion, which helped to save his life. The Los Angeles Times wrote "The book alternates between a detailed account of the plane crash and Ollestad’s story of his parents’ busted marriage. Of particular interest is his charismatic, adrenaline-junkie father, whom the young Norman describes as a somewhat methodical, somewhat reckless “enchanter,” devotedly driving his son to early-morning hockey practices and faraway ski tournaments, but dragging him along to Mexico, where they wound up stranded in the jungle without food or money after fleeing bribe-seeking federales wielding guns."In June 2009, the memoir was released and became one of the most talked about books of the summer.

The book reached the top-ten bestseller lists for both The Los Angeles Times. Crazy For The Storm was selected as Starbucks June book selection, iTunes picked it as one of the best summer reads. Most it was chosen by Amazon as one of the'Best Books of the Year... So Far'. In early May 2009, Warner Bros. picked up the option to turn Crazy for the Storm into a motion picture. The memoir Crazy for the Storm talks about the growing process of the author, Norman Ollestad, supervised by his strict dad, who asks him to surf and play hockey at his young age. Norman resented this at first, describes his father as “reckless”, yet after the air crash, he realized how much his dad loved him; the book focuses on the growth of Norman’s inner world. He disagreed with his father at first, he could not understand why his dad woke him early in the morning to play hockey when he had insisted that he did not want to. He couldn't understand, he accepted his father’s demands. He came to realize that his dad wanted him to become a strong and brave man.

The skill and courage he had developed with his surfing and skiing had helped the author to survive through the aftermath of the air crash. He came to thank his dad for his longtime training and teaching, for what his dad admonished: “Never give up.” Ollestad calls Crazy For The Storm a tribute to his father. Norman Ollestad Sr. had been a child actor, appearing in the movie Cheaper by the Dozen. He joined the FBI, but soon grew disillusioned with J. Edgar Hoover and wrote a book called Inside The FBI, which did not endear him to his former employers, he retreated to the hippie enclave of Topanga Beach, at the south end of Malibu, where he surfed and worked as a lawyer. Crazy For The Storm: A Memoir Of Survival.

Landsbankinn

Landsbankinn NBI hf, is an Icelandic bank headquartered in Reykjavík. It was established in 2008 by the Icelandic government out of the domestic operations of its predecessor Landsbanki which failed during the 2008–2011 Icelandic financial crisis, it is the largest bank in Iceland and the history of its predecessor goes back to 1885. In December 2017, the bank had just over 123,000 private customers and just over 13,500 corporate customers; the bank has 37 branches around Iceland. In 2018, Landsbankinn had a 37,8% market share in the retail market and 34% in the corporate banking market. NBI hf was created 9 October 2008, after the government had taken control of the insolvent Landsbanki two days earlier and decided to split all domestic operations into this new surviving version of the bank, while leaving the remaining foreign operations of Landsbanki for bankruptcy and winding-up proceedings; the total assets value declined to a third for the new bank, when comparing to the previous size for the old version of the bank.

The number of employees were reduced from 2770 in 2007, to only 1233 in 2012. In April 2011, the legal name was changed from NBI hf. to Landsbankinn hf. The bank has been state owned since its establishment. In December 2009, the Icelandic State Treasury owned 81.33% of the shares and the remaining 18.67% of the shares were owned by. In April 2013, the Icelandic State Treasury acquired 16,67% of Landsskil's shares and thus the Treasury owned 98% of the shares; the remaining 2 % of the shares are owned by various other investors. List of banks in Iceland Media related to Landsbankinn at Wikimedia Commons Official website landsbankinn.com Mobile site