Richard Vernon (musician)
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Vernon performing with Ricky Warwick and the Fighting Hearts, 2016
|Known for||Bass guitarist with The Mission|
Richard "Rich" Vernon is a British-born musician and songwriter best known as the bass guitarist of UK rock band The Mission and previously with The Only Ones vocalist and cult artist Peter Perrett in The One. He has recorded two studio and four live albums with The Mission including the critically acclaimed God is a Bullet, as well as two with The One and one with Helter Skelter. He was also appeared as a guest musician on The Dead Guitars album Flags, in 2008.
Richard Vernon was born in Chichester, England, and relocated with his family to London until the age of two when his family returned to their native Wales. His first musical instrument was a six-string guitar, followed by a brief dalliance with the drums, and finally bass guitar.
At the age of 20, Vernon left his home in Wales and moved to London, starting his musical career as a session player in a number of bands including Eddie and the Hot Rods. Over his career, he has played with musicians from The Kinks, Squeeze, The Adventures, The Charlatans, The Waterboys, The Monochrome Set, The Pink Fairies, The Wonder Stuff, The Pretenders, The Damned and many others. A change of pace saw him playing for UK agitpop band A Popular History of Signs on various European tours. Soon thereafter he co-founded Rough Trade and Island Records act Helter Skelter. They recorded a critically acclaimed album and garnered a single of the week award from Melody Maker. They toured Europe to support the album and recorded two BBC Radio 1 sessions, but a combination of limited success and struggles after PolyGram took over of Island Records saw them split shortly after.
Vernon then joined Peter Perrett's group The One. The band made two studio albums and one live album as well as extensively touring around the UK, France, Spain, Germany, Holland, Belgium and Japan. Their critically acclaimed Woke Up Sticky album received enthusiastic reviews from The Guardian and Daily Telegraph. With equally good reviews for their live shows, the band promised much but after a busy and productive five-year period they drifted apart. Perrett's biographer, Nina Antonia in her book Homme Fatale, puts this down to Perrett's increasingly erratic behaviour, whilst other band members have been quoted that the band had just run its course.
Following a call from Perrett's tour manager, Vernon was asked to join The Mission as replacement for departing founder member Craig Adams. During his tenure with the band, Vernon recorded two studio albums (God is a Bullet and Dumb Dumb Bullet). God is a Bullet charted in the UK Top 30 Independent Label Album Chart and UK Top 40 Rock Album Chart. The first single, "Keep it in the Family", charted at number 7 in the BBC 1 Rock Chart. The band also recorded a live album from London's Shepherd's Bush Empire over four consecutive sold out nights, which was billed as the last Mission shows for the foreseeable future. Vernon also recorded two live DVDs with the band as well as touring all over the UK, Europe, America, Canada and South Africa. He also contributed towards the Mission biography, At War with the Gods, published in 2015.
After leaving The Mission, Vernon decided to spend more time co-writing music and record production, and to focus on his family. He still found time to play live shows, including some with UK band, The Sentimentalists, including an appearance at the Glastonbury Festival in 2015.
Vernon joined MGT on tour for an March 2018 US tour to promote their album "Gemini Nyte". The band included ex-Mission UK mate, Mark Gemini Thwaite, along with Ashton Nyte and Jared Shavelson; their performances met an extremely positive response.
He lives in a converted chapel in North Wales with his Japanese wife, their two children, and his father.
The following represent the body of recorded works that Vernon has been involved with:
|1989||Helter Skelter||"Last Train"||7"/12" Single||Rough Trade Records|
|1990||Helter Skelter||"Consume"||7"/12" Single||Island Records|
|1990||Helter Skelter||"Sense"||7" Single||Island Records|
|1990||Helter Skelter||Consume||Album||Island Records|
|1990||Helter Skelter||"Angel"||7"/12" Single||Island Records|
|1994||The One (Peter Perrett)||Cultered Palate||EP||Dwarf Records|
|1996||The One (Peter Perrett)||"Woke Up Sticky"||Single||Demon Records|
|1996||The One (Peter Perrett)||Woke Up Sticky||Album||Demon Records|
|2000||The One (Peter Perrett)||Hearts on Fire||Album||NMC Music|
|2005||The Mission||Lighting the Candles||DVD||Oblivion|
|2007||The Mission||"Keep It in the Family"||Single||SPV / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2007||The Mission||God is a Bullet||Album||SPV / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2007||The Mission||Blush||EP||SPV / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2008||The Mission||Dumb Dumb Bullet||Album||SPV / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2008||The Mission||The First Chapter: Live at London Shepherd's Bush Empire||Album||Let Them Eat Vinyl / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2008||The Mission||God's Own Medicine: Live at London Shepherd's Bush Empire||Album||Let Them Eat Vinyl / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2008||The Mission||Children: Live at London Shepherd's Bush Empire||Album||Let Them Eat Vinyl / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2008||The Mission||Carved in Sand: Live at London Shepherd's Bush Empire||Album||Let Them Eat Vinyl / Eyes Wide Shut Recordings|
|2008||Dead Guitars||"Blue" (track from the album, Flags)||Album track||Echozone|
|2009||The Mission||The Final Chapter||DVD||Oblivion|
|2018||The Mission||For Ever More - Live at London, Shepherd's Bush Empire||CD Box Set||Cherry Red Records|
- "The Mission – God Is A Bullet". discogs. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Homme Fatale by Nina Antonia". Thinmanpress.com. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- "The Mission World Information Service | The Mission". Themissionuk.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Rich Vernon". discogs. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Rich Vernon Interview with and the Dance Goes On". And-the-dance-goes-on.de (in German). 9 June 2016. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "The Mission UK* – God Is A Bullet". discogs. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "The Mission UK releasing 'Dum Dum Bullet' comp with new songs, rare B-sides, remix". slicing up eyeballs // 80s alternative music, college rock, indie. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "God is a Bullet album Credits featuring Rich Vernon". AllMusic. 15 June 2007. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- The Mission UK Videos (24 October 2006). "The Mission – 250505 Interviews – Ritchie Vernon". YouTube. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "God Is a Bullet". Cooking Vinyl. 7 May 2007. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "God Is a Bullet by The Mission". Rateyourmusic.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- 2013, Petra Sümnicht 2001 -. "God Is A Bullet". and-the-dance-goes-on.de. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "The Final Chapter: Jan–Mar 2008 – The Mission UK | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Children: Live – The Mission UK | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "God's Own Medicine: Live – The Mission UK | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "Carved in Sand: London Shepherd's Bush Empire 2008 – The Mission UK | Songs, Reviews, Credits | AllMusic". AllMusic. Retrieved 31 August 2016.
- "The Mission / Claytown Troupe". Rockersdigest.com. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Vorndran, Daniela. "The Mission – Bochum 2007". Reflectionsofdarkness.com. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "About The Sentimentalists". Sentimentalists.co.uk. 28 February 2008. Retrieved 16 August 2016.
- Digital, Pretty Good. "Glastonbury Festival – 2015". Glastonburyfestivals.co.uk. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "Ricky Warwick and the Fighting Hearts heading out on UK tour". Real Rock 'n' Roll. 3 November 2016. Retrieved 24 November 2016.
- "MGT Pays Tribute to Scott Weiland & STP with emotional cover of 'Atlanta'". MGT Official. 2018-03-15. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "MGT Keep Goth-Rock Alive - Concert Guide Live.com". concertguidelive.com. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "MGT* - Gemini Nyte". Discogs. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "MGT LIVE". RockRevolt Mag. 2018-03-15. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "God Is a Bullet – The Mission UK | Credits". AllMusic. 19 February 2007. Retrieved 29 August 2016.
- "LastFM – Dead Guitars 'Blue', Feat. Rich Vernon". Lastfm.com. Retrieved 27 August 2016.