This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|State||Dadra and Nagar Haveli|
|District||Dadra and Nagar Haveli district|
|• Mayor||Rakeshsinh Chauhan|
|Elevation||32 m (105 ft)|
|• Official||English, Gujarati, hindi,|
|Time zone||UTC+5:30 (IST)|
|Vehicle registration||DN -09|
Until the end of the 19th century, Silvassa was only a small village. The growing importance of Silvassa started in 1885, when the Portuguese Administration decided to transfer the seat of Nagar Haveli to the city, which until then had been in Darará. By decree of 11 February 1885, Silvassa was created as a town, with the name of Vila de Paço d'Arcos. However, the original name prevailed and the town continued to be mainly known as Silvassa and referred to as such in official documents.
==Language== [dhodia is the main language-]Warli is the language spoken by the Warli people. It is a dialect of Konkani, just as Agri which is also spoken.A former Portuguese enclave, Silvassa has a significant Roman Catholic population that speaks a distinct dialect of Portuguese. Gujarati and Marathi languages are widely spoken.
Far from being a tribal region, it has now developed into an industrial hub with major industrial companies setting up manufacturing bases in the region. Its initial tax-free status granted by the Indian government to boost industrial investment in the Union Territory of Dadra and Nagar Haveli has contributed to the region's industrial growth.
With groups like Apar Industries Limited, Ramco Industries Ltd..(R.I.L), Sterlite, Hindalco now closed, Hind Aluminium, T&D Galiakot Containers Pvt. Ltd., Associated Group, Tufropes Group Indians largest plastic and polymer ropes manufacturer Tufropes Pvt. Limited, Insulation material manufacturer Rockwool India Private Limited (a subsidiary of Alghanim Industries, Kuwait), Concast, Polysil Pipes, Polysil Irrigation Systems, Silvassa Plastics, Daman Plastics, Kkapana Industries, Jai Corp Ltd., Advance Detchem Ltd, Gulf Oil, Tidewater Petroleum, Castrol, Reliance Industries, Blue Star, Siyaram Silk Mills, Global Wind Power (Reliance ADAG), Hindustan Unilever, Kusuma Pharma, Sterling Generators Pvt Ltd , Dabur and host of other players in the textile industry like Alok Industries, Donear Industries, VRIL, Shri Khatu shyam Alloys Pvt. Ltd. and many other FMCG, Gensets, electronics, heavy engineering goods, Chemical, insecticides, Paints, to name a few, the landscape of Silvassa and surrounding region has altered dramatically. It is one of the largest states in collection of excise duty from more than 3,500 small and medium industries. Silvassa is a big hub for plastic products and its products are found throughout India thanks to their good quality and low cost. Apart from all this Silvassa is also known for various FMCG distributors like Gajra Distribution(Oldest grocers in the town) having reach throughout the country.
Silvassa hosts more than 200,000 floating population, coming from all parts of the country, mostly the labourers hail from Uttar Pradesh, Bihar & Odisa. Other floating community being from the state of Madhya Pradesh, Maharashtra, Gujarat, Kerala, Karnataka, Tamil Nadu, Andhra Pradesh, and Rajasthan.
Transport and connections
Silvassa is connected to Maharashtra and Gujarat via National Highway 848A. Silvassa has a well-maintained road network. The nearest railway stations are in Vapi 16 kilometres (9.9 mi) away and Bhilad, 14 kilometres (8.7 mi) away . Daman is 30 km away via Bhilad on National Highway number 8. Mumbai is 160 km away from Silvassa, via Bhilad, on National Highway number 8 Surat is 130 km away from Silvassa, via Bhilad, on National Highway number 8. Auto-rickshaw services ply between Vapi and Silvassa at a regular interval and easily available from Vapi (E) railway station. Gujarat Road Transport Buses ply between Silvassa & Vapi at a regular interval.
Hospitals in Silvassa include:
- V.B.C.H (Vinoba Bhave Civil Hospital, Multi-Speciality Hospital), Silvassa
- Shraddha Clinic (Tokarkhada), Silvassa
- Vardhaman Hospital, Silvassa
- Prayosha Hospital, Silvassa
- Sainath Hospital, Silvassa
- Saraswati Hospital, Rakholi, Silvassa
- Yogi Hospital, Silvassa
- Sai Krishna Hospital, Silvassa
- Chaitanya Hospital, Silvassa
- Jalaram Hospital, Silvassa
- Sai Marigold Children Hospital, Silvassa
- Om Hospital, Silvassa
- Gaurang Leg Replacement Hospital, Silvassa
- Eye Hospital, Silvassa
- Shiv dental clinic
- Pulse Hospital(Near Kilwani Naka-Horizon Tower)
Places of interest
- Imam hussain shrine
- Nakshatra Van: Garden on bank of Daman Ganga River.
- Damanganga Riverfront.
- Roman Catholic Church: located near to bus stand built on Portuguese style.
- Silvassa Museum: a small museum which explains the history and the people of Silvassa
- Shree Jagannath Temple, by Shree Jagannath Cultural Trust and all odiya people situated in baldevi since 2009.
- Madhuban Dam: A dam with boating facility, built across River Daman Ganga.
- Vanganga Garden(Dadra Park): A scenic beauty with boating facility, 5 km from Silvassa.
- Dudhani: A vast lake with a water sports complex. Located 35 km from Silvassa.
- Vrindaban: A temple dedicated to lord Krishna and Shiva, en route Dudhani.
- Balaji temple located in Amli dedicated to Lord Balaji, Shiva, Maha Ganapathy, Karthikeyan, Padmavathi, Saraswathi, Hanumanji, and Navagraha.
- Van Ganga Lake: An exotic destination for nature lovers who relish boating in lakes. The place is particularly famous as the site for several movie shoots.
- Piparia garden, a beautiful garden located right in Silvassa.
- Om Temple: The temple is in "Om shape" and located on the bank of the River Damanganga in Kudacha village.(1.5 km from Silvassa). It stands on 412 pillars and has been constructed without any usage of iron bars.
- Shri Vinoba Bhave College Of Nursing
- BAPS Institute of Information Technology
- Dr. A.P.J. Abdul Kalam Government College, Silvassa (SILVASSA COLLEGE). College of Arts, Commerce & Science
- Institute of hotel management and catering technology
- SSR College of Arts, Science and Commerce
- SSR College of Education
- SSR College of Pharmacy
- SSR Institute of Research and Management
- Dr. Babasaheb Bhimrao Ambedkar Government Polytechnic College
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Rakholi
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Dadra
- Govt. Higher Secondary School, Galonda
- Govt. Higher Secondary Silvassa(T) (GM)
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Randha
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Naroli
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Silvassa(T) (EM)
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Khanvel(GM)
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Khanvel(MM)
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Silvassa(T) (HM)
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Silvassa(T) (MM)
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Dudhani
- Govt. Higher Secondary School Dapada,
- Govt. High School Mandoni (MM),
- Govt. High School Dokmardi ,
- Govt. High School Bedpa (MM),
- Govt. High School Sindoni,
- Govt. High School Morkhal
- Govt. High School Kharadpada
- Govt. High School Amboli (MM)
- Govt. High School Silvassa(Z)
- Govt. High School Surangi
- Govt.High School Sili
- Govt.High School Falandi
- Govt.High School Masat
- Govt.High School Kherdi
- Jawahar Navodaya Vidhyalaya, Silli (CBSE)
- Kendriya Vidhyalaya, Tokarkhada (CBSE)
- SMT MINAXIBEN GHEVARCHAND LUNAVAT ENGLISH SCHOOL, DADRA
- ANAND INTERNATIONAL PUBLIC SCHOOL
- ADVAITA GURUKUL
- NEW ERA ENGLISH MEDIUM SCHOOL
- DREAM WORLD INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL
- NIKHIL VIDYA BHAVAN
- BAPS SWAMINARAYAN VIDYAMANDIR
- KASHIRAM SCHOOL
- ALOK PUBLIC SCHOOL
- LORD KRISHNA ENGLISH SCHOOL
- PRABDHA VINA VADINI GYANPEETH
- ST. JOHN BRITTO PRIMARY SCHOOL, VASONA
- ISU RUDAY DAPADA
- SACRED HEART ENGLISH PRIMARY SCHOOL
- GOLDEN CHILD ENGLISH MEDIUM KHADOLI
- FATIMA MATA MARATHI SCHOOL VEL
- GYANMATA HIGH SCHOOL (ENGLISH)
- GYANMATA HIGH SCHOOL (MARATHI)
- FELLOWSHIP ASHRAM MISSION SCHOOL
- J.J.D.S. ENGLISH SCHOOL
- ST.FRANCIS XAVIER HIGH SCHOOL, DUDHANI
- SARASVATI MARATHI SCHOOL KARCHOND
- NIRMALMATA PRIMARY SCHOOL, SHELTI
- LOURD MATA RUDANA
- KUMARIMATA P.M.S., CHISDA
- SADGUNI P.M.S. BEDPA
- GULAB MARIYA SINDONI
- VASUNDHRA VIDYAPEETH
- SHIV PRAKASH MEMORIAL SCHOOL, SILVASSA
- LIONS ENGLISH SCHOOL SILVASSA
- PRABHAT SCHOLAR'S ACADEMY, SILVASSA
- RED CROSS SPECIAL SCHOOL FOR HANDICAPPED CHILDREN
- JACK-N-JILL ENGLISH SCHOOL
- FR. AGNELO ENGLISH SCHOOL SILVASSA
- HOLYCHILD SCHOOL
- ST. GEORGE ENGLISH SCHOOL
- OUR LADY OF HELP ENGLISH SCHOOL, SAMARVARNI
- ST XAVIER'S SCHOOL, SILVASSA
- LITTLE BIRDS ENGLISH SCHOOL
- MOUNT LITERA ZEE SCHOOL
- MODERN ENGLISH SCHOOL
- MILLENNIUM ENGLISH SCHOOL
- SILVASSA PUBLIC SCHOOL
- B. M. ENGLISH SCHOOL, SILVASSA
- THE BUDDHIST INTERNATIONAL SCHOOL, AURANGABAD/SILVASSA-91
- MAHARSHI PATANJALI VIDYA MANDIR
- OMKAR VIDYAMANDIR
- Akshar Academy
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Silvassa.|
- "Census of India 2001: Data from the 2001 Census, including cities, villages and towns (Provisional)". Census Commission of India. Archived from the original on 2004-06-16. Retrieved 2008-11-01.
- Dadra Nagar Haveli tourism Archived 2006-06-16 at the Wayback Machine.
- "New National Highways notification - NH 848A" (PDF). The Gazette of India. 17 Apr 2013. Retrieved 20 May 2018.