Surda

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Surda
Other transcription(s)
 • Arabic سردا
View of Surda, 2011
View of Surda, 2011
Surda is located in the Palestinian territories
Surda
Surda
Location of Surda within Palestine
Coordinates: 31°56′29″N 35°12′12″E / 31.94139°N 35.20333°E / 31.94139; 35.20333Coordinates: 31°56′29″N 35°12′12″E / 31.94139°N 35.20333°E / 31.94139; 35.20333
Palestine grid 169/150
Governorate Ramallah & al-Bireh
Government
 • Type Municipality
Population (2007)
 • Jurisdiction 1,031
Name meaning possibly from Zerada[1]

Surda (Arabic: سرده‎) is a Palestinian town in the Ramallah and al-Bireh Governorate, located northeast of Ramallah in the northern West Bank. According to the Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics (PCBS), the town had a population of 1,031 inhabitants in 2007.[2]

Location[edit]

Surda is located 3.7 kilometers (2.3 mi) north of Ramallah. It is bordered by Al-Bireh and Dura al-Qar' to the east, Jifna to the north, Abu Qash to the west, and Ramallah and Al Bireh to the south.[3]

History[edit]

Pottery sherds from the Byzantine and the Mamluk eras have been found here.[4]

Ottoman era[edit]

In 1517, the village was included in the Ottoman empire with the rest of Palestine, and in the 1596 tax-records it appeared as Surda, located in the Nahiya of Quds of the Liwa of Al-Quds. The population was 10 households, all Muslim, they paid a fixed tax rate of 33,3% on agricultural products, such as wheat, barley, olive trees, vineyards, goats and beehives, in addition to occasional revenues; a total of 1,660 Akçe.[5] Pottery sherds from the early Ottoman era have also been fond here.[4]

In 1838, it was noted as the village Surada, in the Beni Harith district.[6]

An Ottoman village list of about 1870 indicated 13 houses and a population of 63, though the population count included men, only.[7][8]

In 1882, the Palestine Exploration Fund's "Survey of Western Palestine" (SWP) described Surdah as: "A small village on a hillside, with a garden to the south of it, and the spring 'Ain Jelazun on the east."[9]

In 1896 the population of Surda was estimated to be about 108 persons.[10]

British Mandate era[edit]

In the 1922 census of Palestine, conducted by the British Mandate authorities, Surda had a population of 125 Muslims,[11] increasing in the 1931 census to 179 Muslims, in 43 houses.[12]

In 1945 the population of Surda was 250 Muslims,[13] while the total land area was 3,726 dunams, according to an official land and population survey.[14] Of this, 1,002 dunums were used for plantations and irrigable land, 1,244 for cereals,[15] while 20 dunams were classified as built-up areas.[16]

Jordanian era[edit]

In the wake of the 1948 Arab–Israeli War, and after the 1949 Armistice Agreements, Saffa came under Jordanian rule.

The Jordanian census of 1961 found 415 inhabitants in Surda.[17]

1967-present[edit]

After the Six-Day War in 1967, Surda has been under Israeli occupation, after 1995, 95.4% of village land has been defined as Area B land, while the remaining 4.6% is Area C.[18]

Surda is the birthplace of the Palestinian diplomat Hasan Abdel Rahman.

Footnotes[edit]

  1. ^ Palmer, 1881, p. 245
  2. ^ 2007 PCBS Census. Palestinian Central Bureau of Statistics. p.114.
  3. ^ Surda Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 4
  4. ^ a b Finkelstein et al, 1997, pp. 423-424
  5. ^ Hütteroth and Abdulfattah, 1977, p. 117
  6. ^ Robinson and Smith, 1841, vol 3, Appendix 2, p. 124
  7. ^ Socin, 1879, p. 161. It was also noted to be in the Beni Harit district.
  8. ^ Hartmann, 1883, p. 126 also noted 13 houses
  9. ^ Conder and Kitchener, 1882, SWP II, p. 295. They further noted: "The name suggests its identity with Zereda, the native town of Jeroboam, (1 Kings 11:26)", but based on archeological evidence, Finkelstein et al, 1997, p. 424 thinks this is irrelevant.
  10. ^ Schick, 1896, p. 123
  11. ^ Barron, 1923, Table VII, Sub-district of Ramallah, p. 17
  12. ^ Mills, 1932, p. 51.
  13. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics, 1945, p. 26
  14. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 65
  15. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 113
  16. ^ Government of Palestine, Department of Statistics. Village Statistics, April, 1945. Quoted in Hadawi, 1970, p. 163
  17. ^ Government of Jordan, Department of Statistics, 1964, p. 24
  18. ^ Surda Village Profile, ARIJ, p. 15

Bibliography[edit]

External links[edit]