University of Engineering & Management (UEM), Kolkata
This article has multiple issues. Please help improve it or discuss these issues on the talk page. (Learn how and when to remove these template messages)(Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Shraddhāvān labhate jnānam|
(from the Bhagavad Gita, chapter 4, verse 39)
Motto in English
|The earnest aspirant gains supreme wisdom.|
New Town |
Kolkata, West Bengal, India
Blue & White |
The University of Engineering & Management (UEM), Kolkata is a private university located in Action Area - III of New Town, Kolkata. It provides engineering, technological & management education. It was established in 2015 by IEM Trust, Act no.XXV and it is the third engineering institution founded by the IEM-UEM Group. This university has a highly disciplined and secular environment, which keeps the students motivated towards their study. This university is administrated by the Institute of Engineering and Management (IEM) education group trust.
- 1 History
- 2 Recognition
- 3 Location
- 4 Academics
- 5 Admission
- 6 Campus Facilities
- 7 Research
- 8 Collaboration & Partner colleges
- 9 Events and culture
- 10 References
- 11 External links
The IEM-UEM Group's presence in Kolkata began in the year 1989 as Institute of Engineering and Management (IEM) (Salt Lake, Sector V) was established in that year. It is an education group which has an experience of more than 27 years in the field of engineering and management education. In 2014, the state legislature of West Bengal passed the IEM Trust, Act no.XXV, 2014 to enable the establishment of the University in New Town area of Kolkata. It is the third engineering institution established by the IEM-UEM Group, which also established IEM and the University of Engineering & Management, Jaipur in Rajasthan in 2011.
The university is recognised by the University Grants Commission (UGC) of India and has the right to confer degrees as per the section 22 of the UGC Act (1956) and as per UGC nomenclature of the degrees.
UEM possesses an engineering and management campus for their students. The main campus is located at University Area, Plot No. III - B/5, New Town, Action Area - III, Rajarhat, Kolkata. The administrative unit is located in Salt Lake Electronics Complex (Bidhan Nagar), Sector-V, Salt Lake City. The university has 2 academic buildings. Classes of 1st year are conducted in the old building and classes of 2nd year are conducted in the new building. Most of the labs are in old building and it is considered as the main building of the university while Biotechnology, Biochemistry etc. labs are situated in new building.
- Rajarhat Campus: The main engineering facility, classes of B.tech students, as well as M.Tech, MBA, BBA & BCA students.
- Ashram Building: Administrative activities campus, also for UEM Jaipur and IEM.
The university offers undergraduate, post-graduate and doctoral degrees. The undergraduate courses offer B.Tech in engineering fields including Computer Science and Engineering (CSE), Electronics & Communication Engineering (ECE), Electrical & Electronics Engineering (EEE), Electrical Engineering (EE), Biotechnology (BT), Civil Engineering (CE), and Mechanical Engineering (ME) while the postgraduate courses offer M.Tech (CSE, ECE). There is a provision for Ph.D in various streams of Engineering.
Apart from these, the university offers Bachelor of Computer Applications (BCA) degree course in the field of Computer Science. The institute also offers Bachelor of Business Administration (BBA) and Master in Business Administration (MBA) degree courses for the management students at the undergraduate and postgraduate level respectively. Additionally, there are prospects of combined courses too, with dual degrees like 5 years course for BTech+MTech, etc.
At the undergraduate level,the varsity particularly emphasises on the results of IEMJEE(own engineering entrance examination), in addition to the class 10 and 12 board results. For those candidates who could not secure a good position in WBJEE or JEE(Main) can also take admission via counselling session and on the basis of boards results. People who want to pursue PhD at the University have to sit for the entrance exam mandatorily along with students applying to pursue undergraduate and postgraduate programmes.IEMJEE takes place in multiple phases. Students seeking admission in the highly anticipated B.Tech programme can secure their admission in the University before the unveiling of their class 12 board results by provisional admission or seat booking process on the basis of class 10 results and their eligibility for admission (declared soon after each examination phase on their official website).
Library and digital resources
UEM Kolkata has a well equipped library with all modern facilities including online databases, video lectures, KnowledgeLab App, books, journals, theses, reports. The library remains open 24 hours for 365 days in the year. Students and faculty members can access the library at any time in any day. The modern digital library is equipped with sufficient computers and multimedia learning aids for students. The library provides user name and password based access to full e-journals and eBooks of IEEE Digital Library, Del Net Library and J-Gate e-journal library. Students and faculty can browse the online journals from the University/College campus and from home and the hostel. The library also stocks a huge number of daily newspapers to keep the students updated about current affairs.
The university consists of many well-equipped laboratories which are spread over 3 buildings of the university. Most of the 1st year laboratories are situated in the old building while the laboratories of other academic years are situated in the new buildings.
Wi-Fi and Internet Connectivity
The university has a full Wi-Fi enabled campus for easy access to the internet. Besides the own Wi-Fi connectivity of the university, Reliance Jio provides Wi-Fi facility inside the campus for free of cost. All the computers of computer laboratories and library are connected to the internet via a high speed LAN connection.
Research and Development
The university has a Research & Development cell which encourages students for research works related to various fields of engineering. It also helps students to publish their research papers on different national and international level conferences including UEMCON, IEMCON, IEEE CCWC etc. The university has student chapters on SPIE and The Optical Society of America (OSA).
Research areas include robotics, computer programming and automobile. These groups participate in national and international level events, including: IEEE, Kshitij (organised by IIT Kharagpur), Techkriti (organised by IIT Kanpur). Students can also apply to take part in national and international level research programs like SPIE, Inspire (a program by Ministry of Science & Technology), UEMCON. The university also has student chapters on SPIE and The Optical Society of America (OSA).
Apart from this, many workshops and seminars are organised in the university campus including: robotics workshop, ethical hacking workshop, automobile workshop, programming workshop, Android app development workshop, Python workshop and aircraft technology Workshop.
Collaboration & Partner colleges
The university has a strong collaboration with the following 2 engineering colleges of IEM-UEM Group in areas of student exchange, faculty exchange, joint research, curriculum development for students.
Apart from this, the university has tie-ups with many foreign universities and colleges for student exchange programs.
Events and culture
It is the annual technical festival of IEM and UEM Kolkata which is organised in March. INNOVACIÓN is the Spanish word of innovation. It consists of many technical events like- Robotics, Coding, Gaming, Circuit designing etc. as well as workshops and seminars on various technologies including Internet of Things (IoT), Robotics, Aeronautics, Ethical hacking.
The cultural fest of IEM & UEM Kolkata is organised in the end of January where students of IEM and UEM participate in various cultural activities and events.
The annual sports event is organized in the month of January where students of IEM and UEM take part in sports activities.
In August 2016, UEM Kolkata hosted Optronix, the 3rd international conference on Opto-Electronics and Applied Optics in collaboration with The Optical Society of America (OSA) and American Journal of Electronics and Communication Technology (AJECT), Canada in its Rajarhat, Kolkata campus.
UEMCON is the annual international conference on Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics and Mobile Communication which is organised by UEM Kolkata in association with IEEE, USA. The 7th International conference UEMCON 2016, was held in Columbia University, New York, USA from 20 to 22 October 2016 in association with IEEE USA and IEEE New York.
ConnecTech is the annual Technical Bonanza of UEM Kolkata. It is the technical bonanza where UEM Kolkata organizes science and technological exhibition for the school and college students of Bihar and Jharkhand in association with Bihar Council of Science & Technology (BCST), Govt. of Bihar. On 17 and 19 January 2017, UEM organized ConnecTech in IGSC Auditorium, Patna and St. Joseph's Club Auditorium, Ranchi. The event comprises Quiz, Mathematics Olympiad, Debate, Science Model Competition, Robotics Exhibition. More than 1000 students from different schools of Bihar and Jharkhand actively participated in the events in 2017.
Apart from this, IEM and UEM jointly organized the international IEEE CCWC 2017 conference in Las Vegas, USA from 9 to 11 January 2017.
Job Fair 2017
On 25 January 2017 UEM Kolkata organized "Mega Job Mela" in association with Fresher’s Job Pvt Ltd. where more than 30 companies came for recruiting freshers. Jobs were of all types and categories, starting from jobs for Mechanical engineers, Electrical engineers, IT professionals, Java developers, content writers, front desk executives etc. There was a footfall of about 5000 students in the job mela. On 22 March 2017, UEM Jaipur organized the "Mega Job Mela" in association with the Govt. of Rajasthan where more than 50 companies came for recruiting freshers.
UEM Kolkata hosted Technocruise 2017 - The eastern zonal of Techkriti, IIT Kanpur where UEM Kolkata has been awarded as the best zonal by IIT Kanpur. Technocruise 2017 included workshops, seminars and events on various topics of science and technology including Android App Development, Internet Of Things, Ethical Hacking, Robotics, Sixth Sense Technology, Aircraft technology.
Apart from these, UEM Kolkata hosted the national HR meet at IISC Bangalore on 25 February 2017. It hosted the IEM - UEM Kolkata marathon in association with The Telegraph on 19 February 2017 for raising donation for Child Rights and You (CRY).
- "IEM Group opens new varsity in Rajarhat". The Times of India. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "Approvals". UEM Kolkata. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "List of private Universities of West Bengal". University Grants Commission. Retrieved 2016-10-23.
- "SPIE - the international society for optics and photonics". SPIE. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "INSPIRE Internship Program by DST at UEM, Kolkata from 18 - 22 July 2016". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "2016 IEEE 7th Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference (UEMCON)". IEEE. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "OSA (Optical Society of America) IONS program was held at ISM Dhanbad and was attended by our students. IEM-UEM group represents the India chapter of OSA". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2016-10-25.
- "Distronix Robotics Workshop 2016 [IEM - UEM]". Facebook. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- UEM, Kolkata. "Mr. Parthajit Dholey, alumni member of the IEM-UEM group and co-founder of HACKCIEUX, a startup by 2016 pass out IEM-UEM group students conducted special workshop on Ethical Hacking for the students of University of Engineering & Management (UEM), Kolkata on 26th September, 2016". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2016-10-24.
- "RC Flying Wing Workshop by TechEagle at UEM Kolkata". www.timeout.com. Retrieved 2017-03-01.
- "INNOVACIÓN 2017". iem-innovacion.com. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Management, Institute of Engineering &. "IEM UEM Cultural Fest 2017". www.iemculturalfest.com. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "Optronix 2016 - IEM UEM Group". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "UEMCON 2016 - UEM Kolkata". UEM Kolkata. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- "IEEE UEMCON 2017 | The 8th IEEE Annual Ubiquitous Computing, Electronics & Mobile Communication Conference". ieee-uemcon.org. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "ConnecTech - UEM Kolkata". UEM Kolkata. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "IEM and UEM are organizing the IEEE CCWC on January 9-11, 2017 in Las Vegas, USA. - UEM Jaipur". UEM Jaipur. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "University of Engineering & Management (UEM), Kolkata in association with Fresher's Job Pvt Ltd. is organizing a Mega Job Mela on 25th January, 2017. There will be a plethora of companies visiting this Job Mela and will be offering jobs to the freshers - IEM UEM Group". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "Mega Job Mela 2017 - IEM UEM Group". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "University of Engineering & Management (UEM) has been awarded the best zonals of Techkriti (Technical festival of IIT Kanpur). - IEM UEM Group". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "UEM is coming up with a National HR meet, to be held at Indian Institute of Science (IISc) Bangalore on 25th February, 2017. - IEM UEM Group". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2017-04-04.
- Technologies, Renderbit. "Marathon - IEM UEM Group". IEM UEM Group. Retrieved 2017-04-04.