User talk:Andy M. Wang
I don't know if this is just me being incompetent but the swap tool you made is very useful, however it seems to suppress talk page redirects without prompting me, any ideas?
- Hi DrStrauss, thanks for letting me know! I wouldn't say this is a bug, more like a feature. I think this is one of your examples? I mitigated this by recreating Talk:Neutral unit of construction (airlines) to fix this issue. After swapping A and B (and a single talk), I need to re-create redirect Talk:A separately, although you could also swap only A and B and afterwards perform a regular move of Talk:A to Talk:B (preserving a redirect).
- In a bit more detail, the reason I decided against fixing redlinks is a scenario such as: Swap A, Talk:A, Talk:A/subpageX, B, Talk:B/subpageY. After the swap, the pages are A, Talk:A/subpageY, B, Talk:B, Talk:B/subpageX, with previously existing pages Talk:A, Talk:A/subpageX, and Talk:B/subpageY redlinked. Or should these newly redlinked pages turn into redirects? I personally don't think so, and it seems largely dependent on context, hence my tool has avoided these issues for now.
- In short, I'd recommend: Perform the swap. If the other page (and talk, (and subpages if any)) is a redirect, fix its target. Check your own contribs for redlinked talk pages and create them as redirects as necessary. (especially if there are incoming links (Special:WhatLinksHere)) Hope that makes sense! — Andy W. (talk) 19:50, 28 June 2017 (UTC)
Missing dependency declarations
Hi, I was looking at User:Andy_M._Wang/pageswap.js and I notice that it does not ensure/declare it's dependency on the resource loader modules mediawiki.util and mediawiki.api, of which it is making use. These modules are loaded on almost every page, so it likely won't cause a problem too often, but you should really fix that because it is good practice, and will make it easier to maintain in the future. Please see: mw:ResourceLoader/Developing_with_ResourceLoader#Client-side_.28dynamically.29. —TheDJ (talk • contribs) 09:16, 31 July 2017 (UTC)
- Hi, thanks for that resource! That was very helpful. I believe I've corrected the issue by using mw.loader.using. — Andy W. (talk) 06:21, 10 September 2017 (UTC)
Question about pageswap
Hello! I've been using your pageswap tool for a few months now and have noticed a common thing when swapping pages. My question is why does the redirect not link to the new page name (see here for an example)? I have to manually go in and change the redirect when IMO it would make more sense for the redirect be the new page title automatically... Hoping you can help on this. Thanks, Corky Buzz by the Hornet's Nest 04:03, 11 October 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Corkythehornetfan, this was a design decision on my part for several reasons, including the fact that the 3-move swap operation already has plenty of latency (in my humble opinion), that the "swap" operation could be one on either of the pages to be swapped (including on the redirect), and there's generally some ambiguity on how to deal with the talk pages, subpages (if they exist), and talk subpages (if they exist) of either page to be swapped. I think I found some cases where the redirect(s) point to some completely unrelated or new page, and these cases have to handled on a case-by-case basis. Some of the talk or subpages may be redirects, and some may not be, after a swap, there is potential to redlink a number of talk/subpages when the other page does not have talk/subpages of the same names/positions, if that makes sense. I figured that handling these cases was out of scope, and that the script (for now) should do nothing except make sure the two selected pages (and its talk/subpages) are swapped, nothing else.
- So, for now, yes, I'd manually correct examples such as your example here. Hope that makes sense...? — Andy W. (talk) 16:08, 14 October 2017 (UTC)
- Makes perfect sense! Thanks for your help! Corky Buzz by the Hornet's Nest 00:05, 20 October 2017 (UTC)
Question About Adding Parameter to Infobox US university ranking
Hi there. You seem to be an expert on this. Several users now have brought up adding the annual US College ranking from Times Higher Education to the Infobox US university ranking template. I'm having trouble figuring it out. Could take a look at the page and tell me what I'm doing wrong/help me out? Thanks! Pdyusmep (talk) 03:36, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
- Hi Pdyusmep. A couple users already replied at Template talk:Infobox US university ranking. Apparently an IP added this param to the doc without placing a request to update the main template itself. I can add your requested param to sandboxes and submit an edit req if I have time (I don't have edit access since I gave up the right by choice). However, it's unclear from discussions that we've determined that the ranking is notable yet. Corkythehornetfan, who is a template editor, says, quote, If it is notable enough (provide proof), then we can add it. I suggest you continue the discussion there and get a WP:CONSENSUS of sorts first. Hope that helps — Andy W. (talk) 12:41, 23 November 2017 (UTC)
ArbCom 2017 election voter message
Hi. Just wondering if it's possible to request a feature for your pageswap script? Would it be possible to update
var moveReason = prompt("Move reason:"); to something like
var moveReason = prompt("Move reason:", moveReasonDefault);, where an editor could manually set their own moveReasonDefault in their personal common.js?
Just that I personally use the pageswap script solely for WP:RMTR, and it would allow me to automatically fill in the prompt with "[[WP:RMTR]]" each time, this wouldn't change anything for other editors that don't want a default value, but may help other editors looking for the same thing.
- Hi, AlexTheWhovian, this is Done. That was a nice suggestion, thanks! — Andy W. (talk) 15:03, 18 December 2017 (UTC)
|... you were recipient
no. 1539 of Precious,
a prize of QAI!
failed third move
Hi. Long time no see.
While performing round-robin, I got the error "Fail on third move Draft:Move/Robin Bush (historian) -> Robin Bush (historian)". I did it manually, but when I checked the pages individually, and my contrib history; all looked fine except the history of Robin Bush. Would you please take a look into it? Thanks a lot in advance.
Also pinging Amakuru, as he can history that we cant.
—usernamekiran(talk) 06:22, 4 March 2018 (UTC)
- I've taken care of the move btw. I also realised you haven't edited in two months. I hope everything is fine. Best, —usernamekiran(talk) 07:07, 4 March 2018 (UTC)