1824 in art
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2012) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Events in the year 1824 in Art.
- April 2 – The British government buys John Julius Angerstein's art collection for £60,000 for the purpose of establishing a National Gallery in London which opens to the public in his former townhouse on May 10.
- The Vow of Louis XIII, painted by Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres for the cathedral of Montauban, is exhibited at the Paris Salon.
- The Hay Wain by John Constable is also exhibited at the Paris Salon and wins a gold medal.
- Caspar David Friedrich enters a depressive episode.
- Edwin Landseer visits Scotland for the first time to paint a portrait of Sir Walter Scott; he will return annually, concentrating on animal portraits.
- François Joseph Bosio – Statue of Henry IV of France as a child (Louvre)
- Léon Cogniet – Marius among the Ruins of Carthage
- Louis Daguerre – The Ruins of Holyrood Chapel (approx. date)
- Jacques-Louis David – Mars Being Disarmed by Venus
- Eugène Delacroix
- John Flaxman – Pastoral Apollo
- Caspar David Friedrich – The Sea of Ice
- François Gérard – Daphnis and Chloe
- Jean-Baptiste Paulin Guérin – Ulysses and Minerva
- John Hayter – Kamāmalu, Queen Consort of Hawaii
- Frederick Yeates Hurlstone – A Venetian Page
- Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres – Vow of Louis XIII
- Alexander Andreyevich Ivanov
- Edwin Landseer – Lion, A Newfoundland Dog
- Johann Friedrich Overbeck – Christ's Entry into Jerusalem
- Jan Willem Pieneman – The Battle of Waterloo
- John Trumbull – General George Washington Resigning His Commission
- J. M. W. Turner – The Battle of Trafalgar
- Grand Prix de Rome, painting:
- Grand Prix de Rome, sculpture: Charles Seurre, sculptor.
- Grand Prix de Rome, architecture: Henri Labrouste.
- Grand Prix de Rome, engraving:
- Grand Prix de Rome, music: Auguste Barbereau.
- January 27 – Jozef Israëls, Dutch painter (died 1911)
- March 31 – William Morris Hunt, American painter (died 1879)
- May 11 – Jean-Léon Gérôme, French painter and sculptor (died 1904)
- June 12 – Albert-Ernest Carrier-Belleuse, French sculptor and painter (died 1887)
- July 12 – Eugène Boudin, French painter (died 1898)
- October 14 – Adolphe Joseph Thomas Monticelli, French painter (died 1886)
- December 6 – Emmanuel Frémiet, French sculptor (died 1910)
- December 10 – Aasta Hansteen, Norwegian painter, writer and early feminist (died 1908)
- December 14 – Pierre Puvis de Chavannes, French painter (died 1898)
- January 26 – Théodore Géricault, French painter and lithographer, pioneer of the Romantic movement (born 1791)
- April 17 – William Ashford – British painter who worked exclusively in Ireland (born 1746)
- September 12 – Louis Albert Guislain Bacler d'Albe, French artist, map-maker and close strategic advisor of Napoleon (born 1761)
- November 23 – Fyodor Alekseyev, Russian painter of landscape art (born 1753)
- December 9 – Anne-Louis Girodet de Roussy-Trioson, French painter (born 1767)
- December 24 – John Downman, English portrait painter (born 1750)
- date unknown
- François-Anne David, French line-engraver (born 1741)
- Thomas Hickey, Irish painter of portraits and genre scenes (born 1741)
- Eugénie Charen, French painter (born 1786)
- George Mills, British sculptor, engraver and medallist (born 1792/1793)
- Antoine Vestier, French miniaturist and painter of portraits (born 1740)