1839 in art
Events from the year 1839 in art.
- January 9 – The French Academy of Sciences announces the Daguerreotype photography process.
- January 25 – H. Fox Talbot shows his "photogenic drawings" at the Royal Institution in London.
- c. October – Robert Cornelius takes a daguerreotype self-portrait, the earliest known existing photographic portrait of a human in America.
- Honoré de Balzac's novel Pierre Grassou concerns an artist who lives off forgeries.
- John Bell – Babes in the Wood (sculpture)
- Sara Anne Bright – The Leaf (photogenic drawing)
- Francesco Hayez – Reclining Odalisque
- Edwin Landseer – Dignity and Impudence
- Carl Spitzweg – The Poor Poet
- J. M. W. Turner
- Ancient Rome – Agrippina Landing with the Ashes of Germanicus
- Modern Rome – Campo Vaccino
- Cicero at his Villa
- The Fighting Temeraire tugged to her last Berth to be broken up, 1838
- Peter von Hess – The entry of King Otto of Greece into Athens and his reception in front of the Thiseion temple in 1833
- Sir David Wilkie – General Sir David Baird Discovering the Body of Sultan Tippoo Sahib after having Captured Seringapatam, on the 4th May, 1799
- William Wyon – Una and the Lion (design for five pounds British gold coin)
- January 19 – Paul Cézanne, French painter (died 1906)
- March 16 – John Butler Yeats, Irish painter (died 1922)
- May 24 – Arthur Quartley, painter (died 1886)
- June 9 – Joseph Paelinck, Belgian painter (born 1781)
- September 1 – Charles Edward Perugini, English painter (died 1918)
- October 2 – Hans Thoma, German painter (died 1924)
- October 29 – Kate Dickens Perugini, English painter (died 1929)
- October 30 – Alfred Sisley, French impressionist painter (died 1899)
- November 16 – William De Morgan, English ceramic artist (died 1917)
- November 20 – Christian Wilberg, painter (died 1882)
- date unknown – François Salle, French realist painter (died 1899)
- January 12 – Joseph Anton Koch, Austrian painter of the German Romantic movement (born 1768)
- January 14 – John Wesley Jarvis, American painter (born 1781)
- January 28 – Sir William Beechey, English portrait painter (born 1753)
- February 6 – François Louis Thomas Francia, French shorescape watercolorist (born 1772)
- February 8 – Giovanni Cendramini, Italian painter and engraver (born 1760)
- February 21 – John Charles Felix Rossi, English sculptor (born 1769)
- June 2 – Wijnand Nuijen, Dutch land- and seascape painter (born 1813)
- June 4 – Cornelia Scheffer, Dutch painter and portrait miniaturist (born 1769)
- July 8 – John Laporte, English landscape painter and etcher (born 1761)
- September 4 – Hendrik Voogd, Dutch painter and printmaker, who was active in Italy (born 1768)
- September 10 – Pieter Fontijn, Dutch painter and drawer (born 1773)
- November 15 – Giocondo Albertolli, Swiss-born architect, painter, and sculptor who was active in Italy (born 1743)
- December 22 – Cornelis van Spaendonck, Dutch painter (born 1756)
- date unknown
- Yeazell, Ruth Bernard (2008). Art of the Everyday: Dutch Painting and the Realist Novel. Princeton University Press. p. 88. ISBN 0691127263.
- Clark, Nick (2015-07-06). "The leaf storm". i (1438). London. p. 27.