20th AVN Awards
|20th AVN Awards|
2003 AVN Awards Show Program cover
|Date||January 11, 2003|
|Site||The Venetian Las Vegas at Paradise, Nevada, U.S.A.|
|Preshow hosts||Nikki Fritz|
|Produced by||Gary Miller|
|Directed by||Mark Stone|
|Best Picture||The Fashionistas (Best Film)|
|Most awards||The Fashionistas (10)|
|Most nominations||The Fashionistas (22)|
|Duration||2 hours, 10 minutes|
The 20th AVN Awards ceremony, presented by Adult Video News (AVN), took place January 11, 2003 at the Venetian Hotel Grand Ballroom, at Paradise, Nevada, U.S.A. During the ceremony, AVN presented AVN Awards in nearly 90 categories honoring the best pornographic films released between Oct. 1, 2001 and Sept. 30, 2002. The ceremony was produced by Gary Miller and directed by Mark Stone. Comedian Doug Stanhope co-hosted the show for the first time with adult film star Chloe.
The Fashionistas won 10 awards including Best Film and Best Director—Film for John Stagliano. Breathless and The Private Gladiator each took home four trophies, The Ass Collector and Perfect earned three awards apiece and several more movies won two awards each.
- 1 Winners and nominees
- 2 Presenters and performers
- 3 Ceremony information
- 4 See also
- 5 Notes
- 6 References
- 7 External links
Winners and nominees
The nominees for the 20th AVN Awards were announced in November 2002. The Fashionistas led the way with 22, followed by Paradise Lost with 16, Les Vampyres 2 with 14, Breathess with 12 and Club Sin with 11.
The winners were announced during the awards ceremony on January 11, 2003. The 10 awards won by The Fashionistas were a record for the most awards at a single show. Lexington Steele’s third win as Male Performer of the Year was also a record; previously, he, Rocco Siffredi and Tom Byron had each won twice.
Winners are listed first, highlighted in boldface, and indicated with a double dagger ().
|Best Film||Best Video Feature|
|Best DVD||Best New Starlet|
|Male Performer of the Year||Female Performer of the Year|
|Best Actor—Film||Best Actress—Film|
|Best Actor—Video||Best Actress—Video|
|Best Director—Film||Best Director—Video|
|Best Supporting Actress—Video||Best Foreign Feature|
|Best Ethnic-Themed Video||Best Gonzo Tape|
|Top Selling Tape||Top Renting Tape|
|Best Couples Sex Scene—Film||Best Group Sex Scene—Film|
|Best Couples Sex Scene—Video||Best Oral Sex Scene—Video|
|Best Anal Sex Scene—Video||Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video|
Additional Award Winners
These awards were announced, but not presented, in a pre-recorded winners-only segment shown on the ballroom's video monitors during the event. Trophies were given to the recipients off-stage:
Honorary AVN Awards
Reuben Sturman Award
- Mel Kamins, General Video Cleveland
Special DVD Recognition Award
Hall of Fame
AVN Hall of Fame inductees for 2003 were: T. T. Boy, Mark Davis, Felecia, Dave Hardman, Heather Hunter, Jill Kelly, Chasey Lain, Madison, Jonathan Morgan, Alex Sanders, Julian St. Jox, Kirdy Stevens, Tony Tedeschi, Teri Weigel
Multiple nominations and awards
The following releases received the most nominations.
|The following 13 releases received multiple awards:
Presenters and performers
The following individuals, listed in order of appearance, presented awards or performed musical numbers or comedy. The show's trophy girls were Taylor Starr and Tyler Starr, the Sin City Twins.
Presenters (in order of appearance)
|Presenters of the awards for Best Supporting Actress—Video and Best Couples Sex Scene—Video|
|Presenters of the award for Best Oral Sex Scene—Video and Best Ethnic-Themed Video|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Group Sex Scene—Film and Best Foreign Feature|
|Larry Flynt||Presenter of the Reuben Sturman Special Achievement Award|
|Presenters of the awards for Top Selling Tape and Top Renting Tape|
|Presenters of the award for Best All-Girl Sex Scene—Video|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Anal Sex Scene—Video and Best Gonzo Tape|
|Chi Chi LaRue
|Presenters of the awards for Male Performer of the Year and Female Performer of the Year|
|Steven St. Croix
|Presenters of the awards for Best Director—Film and Best Director—Video|
|Presenters of the awards for Best DVD and Best Couples Sex Scene in a Film|
|Violet Blue||Presenter of the award for Best New Starlet|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Actor—Video and Best Actress—Video|
|Presenters of the awards for Best Actor—Film and Best Actress—Film|
|Presenters of the award for Best Video Feature|
|Presenters of the award for Best Film|
and the AVN Orchestra
|Musical Director||Orchestral accompaniment|
|Spearmint Rhino Dancers||Performers||Dancers on stage|
|Vince Neil||Performer||Musical number, “Girls, Girls, Girls”|
|Doug Stanhope||Performer||Standup comedy segment|
Steven St. Croix
|Performers||"What's the Best Way to Win an AVN Award?" comedy short video|
|Crazy Town||Performers||Musical numbers, "Butterfly" and "Hurt You So Bad"|
AVN created several new categories for the year's awards show. Among them: Best Oral Sex Scene—Video, Best Male Newcomer, Best Director—Non-Feature, Male Foreign Performer of the Year and Female Foreign Performer of the Year.
Performance of year's movies
- AVN Award
- AVN Best New Starlet Award
- AVN Female Performer of the Year Award
- List of members of the AVN Hall of Fame
- 2003 GayVN Awards
- "AVN Awards 2003". Adult Cinema Review. New York, New York: Global Media Group Ltd. June 2003. pp. 8–9. ISSN 0277-2914.
- Stone, Mark (Director) (2003). AVN 20th Anniversary Awards Show (DVD). Chatsworth, California: VCA Labs, Inc.
- Miller, Dan (March 2003). "Fashionistas, Evil Angel Big Winners at 20th Anniversary AVN Awards Show". Adult Video News. Vol. 20 no. 3. Chatsworth, California: AVN Publications, Inc. pp. 40–96. ISSN 0883-7090.
- "20th Anniversary AVN Awards". The 2003 AVN Awards Show program. Chatsworth, California: AVN Publications, Inc. January 11, 2003.
- Jameson, Jenna (July 2003). "Jenna Tales". Hustler. Beverly Hills, California: L.F.P., Inc. p. 30. ISSN 0149-4635.
- "Hustler in the Spotlight at the 2003 Adult Entertainment Expo". Hustler. Vol. 29 no. 13. Beverly Hills, California: L.F.P., Inc. June 2003. p. 106. ISSN 0149-4635.
- Recob, Den (September 15, 2003). "AVN 2003 Awards Show". Cyberspace Adult Video Reviews. Denny Recob. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Partridge, Giddie (July 2003). "Glamour Whores". Hustler. Beverly Hills, California. pp. 48–49.
- "1001 Porn Stars". Cheri magazine. August 2003. p. 42.
- "The AVN Awards Are Pornographic and Perverse!". High Society. July 2003.
- "Fear of Clothing in Law Vegas". Best of High Society. No. 162.
- Pike-Johnson, Heidi (January 21, 2003). "2003 AVN Awards Winners Announced: Awards Presented Big Year for Evil Angel..." Adult Video News. AVN Media Network. Retrieved January 25, 2016.
- Majors, Frank (January 16, 2003). "The Backstage Boogie At The AVN Awards". Adult Video News. AVN Media Network. Retrieved January 24, 2016.
- AVN Awards
- 2003 AVN Award nominees (archived at Wayback Machine, November 27, 2002)
- 2003 AVN Award Winners (archived at Wayback Machine, February 10, 2003)
- Adult Video News Awards at the Internet Movie Database
- Adult Video News Awards 2003 (2003 Video) on IMDb
- Adult Video News Awards 2003 at the Internet Adult Film Database
- 2003 AVN Awards at the Adult Film Database