This article's tone or style may not reflect the encyclopedic tone used on Wikipedia. (May 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Ninet in 2017
|Born||October 21, 1983|
Kiryat Gat, Israel
|Occupation(s)||composer, musician, singer-songwriter, actor|
|Associated acts||Steven Wilson|
Ninet has released four successful albums in Israel (one of them in English), and has twice won Israel's Favorite Act at the MTV Europe Music Awards, she has also worked with producer Mike Crossey (who produced her third album, Sympathetic Nervous System), and artists such as Steven Wilson, Gary Lucas, Cyndi Lauper, The Jesus and Mary Chain, and The Dead Daisies.
Alongside her musical career, Ninet has enjoyed a successful acting career, performing both in movies and the theatre.
Ninet finished her first high-profile international tour in the U.S, Canada (Toronto & Montreal), and Europe, in 2016; the tour featured songs from her recent release. It was her 5th album and the first to be released and promoted in the U.S; as part of her tour, Ninet was selected to perform at SXSW in March 2016. She was also as a featured guest vocalist on Steven Wilson's tour, who after their successful collaborations in the past, invited her to join him for several performances.
During her time in the U.S, Ninet performed several concerts in New York City, which were praised by the critics. One of the critics proudly stated that "having seen Ninet perform … it’s safe to say that the entire audience was fixated and almost hypnotized by her presence." Others claimed that "her bold renditions of songs like 'Crazy' and her original releases have showcased the range in which she approaches music and thus identifies with at least some part of all of us."
In preparation for her 2016 tour, Ninet released two new singles from her forthcoming album – "Paper Parachute" and "Child"; the two "promise an album worth waiting for", and were ultimately declared as ones in which Ninet's "haunting vocals are backed by clever production work and energy fulfilling beats". Paper Parachute, Tayeb's fifth album, came out on 3 February 2017. During the middle and the end of 2016 Tayeb released singles Superstar and Subservient. In 2018 Ninet had a leading role in the Israeli TV series, When Heroes Fly.
- 1 Early life
- 2 Career
- 3 Personal life
- 4 Discography
- 5 Awards and nominations
- 6 Other projects
- 7 References
Ninet was born and raised in Kiryat Gat, Israel, to Sephardic Jewish parents, her father Yosef Tayeb was born in Tunisia, whereas her mother Marcelle (née Malka) was born in Morocco. Both her parents have separately immigrated to Israel, she is the third of five siblings and was nicknamed "Nina" at a very young age by her family and friends. Ninet served as a soldier in the Combat Engineering Corps of the Israel Defense Forces.
Ninet was brought up around music with performances in small events as a teenager was a routine for her, she was mainly influenced by artists such as Pink Floyd, Nirvana, Pearl Jam, and Oasis. Although she was still anonymous in national terms, Ninet was locally known and was expected to pursue a successful career thanks to her unique voice and personality, her breakthrough to the Israeli consciousness was in 2003 due to her "Israeli Idol" (Kokhav Nolad) first prize winning.
Barefoot and Acting
Fame was immediate for 20 years old Ninet, who found herself collaborating and performing with Israel's most popular artists, she became a known figure in Israel and was the subject of dozens of articles and stories.
Ninet released her debut album, "Barefoot" (Yechefa, Hebrew: יחפה) on September 7, 2006, it was certified Platinum in less than 24 hours, having charted five #1 singles on the national radio. Barefoot was released by Helicon and was produced and mainly composed and written by the Israeli Rock musician Aviv Geffen.
Ninet's acting career took rise as well, as she starred in a successful TV series based on her own life story; the show, Hashir Shelanu ("Our Song"), was intended to capitalize on Ninet's unprecedented popularity and lasted for four entire seasons. It still holds the Israeli record for having the largest amount of chapters of all times.
This section is written like a personal reflection, personal essay, or argumentative essay that states a Wikipedia editor's personal feelings or presents an original argument about a topic. (July 2016) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Despite her success, things were far from perfect for Ninet. Loyal to her inner truth, she was seeking for a new path, far away from the Israeli mainstream. Ninet wanted to express what she wanted – not what was expected from her, she then decided to neglect the materials that brought her fame and started an internal soul search within the musical inspirations she felt truly connected to, such as Jeff Buckley, P.J. Harvey, Arctic Monkeys, and Jack White. The harsh public reactions, on the other hand, were almost impossible to bear.
During her musical journey, Ninet was tapped to co-star in what turned out to be an electrifying performance, in her first international major motion film, "The Assassin Next Door" (Kirot), she starred the movie alongside James Bond girl, Olga Kurylenko (Quantum of Solace). Ninet was also nominated in the Israeli Theatre Awards for Best Female Actress of 2010 within the Hebrew version of Spring Awakening.
On November 17, 2009, Ninet released her second album, "Communicative", (Comunicativi, Hebrew: קומוניקטיבי), she wrote all the lyrics in the album, composed most of it, and produced the album with Rockfour.
Communicative, above all of Ninet's album, is considered by many as the album which represents her musical shift, its release is widely remembered as a turning point regarding Ninet's public image and musical tendencies, as she was literally thrown objects at during its launch performance. Ninet describes this incident as a professional watershed until this very day; the artist who used to fill out major venues, suddenly found herself performing in front of significantly small amount of audience, sometimes 20 people and less.
These devastating reactions, however, motivated Ninet – still the most famous person in the Israeli entertainment business – to find her most authentic expression even more. Step by step, gig by gig, things started to get together, and combined a coherent set of musical profile.
The burrow into her musical influences' materials began to bear fruit as Communicative was eventually praised by critics and fans alike, and was considered to be one of the most talked about albums of recent years then. A new type of audience began to show up in her performances, which gradually started to grow and became more frequent. Old fans returned to their "old musical love" as well.
Sympathetic Nervous System
As part of her artistic development, Ninet released her third album, "Sympathetic Nervous System" (SNS), on May 30, 2012. SNS received positive reviews and is considered one of Ninet's best albums.
The album was composed and written by Ninet in English, produced by Mike Crossey, and recorded at the Motor Museum Studio in Liverpool. In SNS Ninet continued to establish herself as an indie-rock singer-songwriter, twice winning Israel's Favorite Act at the MTV Europe Music Awards.
Alongside her musical growth, Ninet started to perform as a DJ at exclusive events and festivals both in and outside of Israel.
All the Animals knew
On May 3, 2013, Ninet released her fourth album, "All the Animals Knew" (Hebrew: כל החיות ידעו, Kol HaHayot Yad'u). After the last album was all in English, this time Ninet went back to writing in Hebrew, she wrote and composed all of the songs in the album, except for 2 songs written by Israeli poet, Dori Manor. The album was produced by Yossi Mizrachi (whom Ninet married later on) and Idan Rabinovici, members of Israeli indie-rock band "A Collective".
In 2015 Ninet released the singles "Paper Parachute" and "Child". In 2016 she released the singles "Superstar" and "Subservient", she moved from Israel to Los Angeles in the United States, where she began to live in July 2016. Tayeb slowly began to appear in the United States. Close to issue fifth album "Paper Parachute" on February 3, 2017 it will begin performances in the US column.
- Other songs
In June 2015 she released a single called "What Happened" (ma kara) in Hebrew; the song was created by Ninet and produced by her husband Yossi Mizrahi. The song against the sexual attacks of high class people who are not properly punished and ultimately blame the victims because they only dared to complain.
On January 9, 2018, a new music video was released in Hebrew called "Hero" (or gibor), written by Ninet and composed by Israeli artist Dudu Tessa; the music video was filmed in the United States. In November 2018 she released her new single "Self Destructive Mind"
In December 2018 Hanukkah performed with a variety of artists (Omer Adam, Marina Maximilian, Ma Kashar, Idan Amadi, Nadav Gedge and Eleni Foureira) in the show pop up music in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Steven Wilson – Ninet sang on two tracks on Steven Wilson's 2015 album, Hand. Cannot. Erase.. He described Ninet as "inspiring" and "a fantastic singer" who has an "amazing voice" and is "very easy to work with". Ninet also performed alongside Wilson at the Royal Albert Hall in September 2015 and at Belasco Theater in LA November 2016. Ninet was again featured on a release by Wilson on "4½" on the new version of "Don't Hate Me", originally recorded by Wilson's other band Porcupine Tree on the album Stupid Dream; this version is sung as a duet between Wilson and Tayeb. That same year, Ninet was featured again on Wilson's tour, with appearances in both Europe and North America. In May 2017, Wilson released his single "Pariah" online, featuring vocals by Ninet. Ninet provides vocals for two other tracks on Wilson's album To the Bone (August 2017), as well as backing vocals on three other tracks. Tayeb performed with Wilson once more at the Royal Albert Hall in March 2018 as part of his Home Invasion concert series, and she is featured on several tracks on the recording of that concert, which was released on November 2, 2018.
- Gary Lucas – After meeting with Jeff Buckley's guitarist and songwriter, Gary Lucas, the latter invited Ninet to record a song which he co-wrote with Buckley but was never recorded. Ninet performed alongside Lucas in a tribute show in memory of Buckley in Paris. Lucas summarized his work with Ninet saying that "Ninet is one of the best singers I've ever worked with. I think she's absolutely incredible, stunning, has a magnificence stage presence, and a terrific energy". Lucas also gave Ninet Buckley's song called "no Must find you here" first album in English has been put away.
- Cyndi Lauper – Ninet was the opening act for Lauper in her memorable concert in Israel in 2014, and performed a vocal duet of True Colors with Lauper during that concert.
- The Jesus and Mary Chain – On October 2012, Ninet was a surprise guest in the Indie legends Jesus and Mary Chain performance in Tel Aviv.
- The Dead Daisies – In December 2013, Ninet performed with the Australian rock n roll super-group, The Dead Daisies, as part of their tour in Tel Aviv, Israel.
- Robbie Williams – Ninet was the opening act for Robbie Williams during his 2015 performance in Tel Aviv.
Tayeb was previously in a high-profile relationship with fellow HaShir Shelanu star Ran Danker. Israeli media labelled the pair "Raninet", she was later in another high-profile relationship with the Israeli actor, Yehuda Levi to whom she was engaged. Haaretz described them as "Israel's favourite celebrity couple", with The Jerusalem Post declaring them "Israel's Brangelina", they announced their split in 2013 after eight years together. Both Danker and Levi have been described as the two most talked-about male stars in Israel. Tayeb and Danker remain friends and when asked in a 2019 Ynet interview about his former partner, Danker said that they will soon be in touch and will collaborate together; the pair performed together in September 2019.
In 2014, Tayeb married Israeli music producer and guitarist Joseph E-Shine Mizrachi in Tel Aviv, after a year together. In 2015, their daughter Emilia Sarah Mizrachi was born. In 2016 they relocated to Los Angeles where she has written the follow-up album to Paper Parachute.
- 2006 – Barefoot
- 2009 – Communicative
- 2012 – Sympathetic Nervous System
- 2013 – All the Animals Knew
- 2017 – Paper Parachute
Awards and nominations
- Sounds and Voices – First Place, 2001.
- Kokhav Nolad – First place, 2003.
- Golden Screen Awards – won Best Actress in A Daily Drama, 2005.
- Pnai Plus Magazine – The Beautiful "Right People" project – First place, 2005.
- Shir Nolad – First place, 2006.
- The Israeli Music Channel Awards – won Singer Of the Year award, 2007.
- Jerusalem Radio – Singer Of The Year, 2007.
- People Of The Year – nominated for Person Of The Year In Musics in 2006 and 2009.
- Song of The Decade project (Channel 24 and Galgalatz) – Singer of the decade nomination.
- MTV Europe Music Awards – Won Israel's favorite act, 2009.
- MTV Europe Music Awards – Won Israel's favorite act, 2012.
- In 2015, Ninet was hosted in the second album of "Dudu Tasa & The Kuwaitis", where she performed a song in Arabic. "Dudu Tasa & The Kuwaitis" is a special project led by Israeli musician Dudu Tasa, which relives the songs of Tasa's grandfather and great uncle, the Al-Kuwaiti Brothers, who were Jewish-Iraqi musicians famous in Israel and throughout the Arab world.
- In 2014, Ninet was hosted in Shlomi Shaban's album "Wakening exercise".
- From 2011 and on, Ninet performed and collaborated several times with the Israeli-American Puppeteers band, Red Band. Their most known projects are the cover for Gnarls Barkley's world known hit "Crazy", "High and Dry" by RadioHead, "I put a spell on you" and more
- In 2011, Ninet collaborated with Israeli singer-songwriter, Gilad Cahana, within the album "The Walking Man 2". The album was entirely written in English. Ninet performed the songs of the album alongside Cahana.
- In 2010, Ninet took part in the original project "30+", led by the musicians Elad Cohen and Sagi Tzoref, where she performed a duet with Israeli singer-songwriter, Yali Sobol.
- In the annual musical project "Hebrew Labor" of 2008 (new versions of Israeli classics), Ninet recorded Ilan Virtzberg's song to late poet Yona Wallach lyrics, "I Couldn't Do Anything With This".
- In memory of Israeli music legend, late Ofra Haza, Ninet recorded, along with Ivri Lider, a pop rock version of Haza's song "This Pain". The duet became a hit in Israel in 2007.
- Throughout the years, Ninet was invited to perform in tribute concerts dedicated to several artists, such as Meir Ariel, Inbal Perlmutter, Elliott Smith, etc.
- "Ninet Tayeb Set List". theoutlawroadshow.com. October 10, 2015.
- "Ninet Tayeb Makes US Debut!". puremzine.com. December 6, 2015.
- "עשר הזמרות הטובות בארץ (Hebrew for: Ten Best Singers in Israel)". Mako.co.il. March 8, 2012.
- "feature.fm Saturday Spotlight vol. 21". feature.fm. December 19, 2015.
- "NINET TAYEB SET LIST". theoutlawroadshow.com. December 10, 2015.
- "Catch Ninet Tayeb at the McKittrick Hotel on Oct. 5th!". francerocks.com. October 1, 2015.
- "Video Premiere: Ninet - "Child"". pastemagazine.com. December 30, 2015.
- "Song Premiere: Ninet, "Child"". allmusic.com. December 4, 2015.
- "NINET TAYEB SET LIST". theoutlawroadshow.com. December 10, 2015.
- "CMJ X NYC". isthespiceoflife.tumblr.com. October 13, 2015.
- "Ninet Tayeb Makes US Debut!". puremzine.com. December 6, 2015.
- "NINET re-emerges with hauntingly beautiful visuals for new single "Child"". earmilk.com. December 1, 2015.
- "EXCLUSIVE VIDEO PREMIERE: NINET TAYEB, 'PAPER PARACHUTE'". diffuser.fm. September 30, 2015.
- "Israel's Ninet Looks For A Breakout Year". soundcheck.wnyc.org. January 5, 2016.
- "Ninet: An Israeli Phenomenon". ynetnews.com. June 27, 2006.
- "A Jewish Joplin: Why Does Israel Only Have One Female Rock Star?". haaretz.com. May 24, 2013.
- "Disc Covering: "The Assassin Next Door" Is Smarter Than You Think". ifc.com. September 7, 2010.
- "Spring Awakening to Premiere at Beit Lessin". midnighteast.com. April 8, 2010.
- "Nobody's Darling". haaretz.com. May 6, 2011.
- "מאמי, שיחקת אותה (Hebrew for: Honey, you've made it)". mako.co.il. November 29, 2009.
- "Catch Ninet Tayeb at the McKittrick Hotel on Oct. 5th!". francerocks.com/. October 1, 2015.
- "Steven Wilson at AIR Studios - Part 2: Concept and Inspiration". youtube.com. November 6, 2014.
- "ynet - תרבות ובידור - צפו: נינט טייב עושה את האלברט הול". Retrieved 2015-09-30.
- "Ninet in paris - jeff buckley". youtube.com. July 9, 2008.
- "Cyndi Lauper proves herself time after time in Tel Aviv". jpost.com. January 5, 2014.
- "Concert review: The Jesus and Mary Chain unchanged". jpost.com. October 21, 2012.
- "Israel's Ninet Tayeb Performs With The Dead Daisies". noise11.com. December 30, 2013.
- "Robbie Williams lands in Israel". timesofisrael.com. April 30, 2015.
- The Break-Up that rocked Israel Tablet. 23 August 2013
- Ran and Yehuda: An unavoidable war Ynet. 2 July 2006
- Fans in Shock as Israel’s Favorite Celebrity Couple Announces Split Haaretz. 21 August 2013
- Israel's 'Brangelina', Ninet Tayeb and Yehuda Levi, split The Jerusalem Post. 20 August 2013
- Ninet Tayeb reveals that she spent time with Ran Danker abroad Walla. 15 April 2018
- Ran Danker: "I will be in touch with Ninet soon and we will collaborate" YouTube. 16 April 2019
- Ran Danker and Ninet Tayeb performing together Instagram. 13 September 2019
- Grapevine: Thanks for the memories The Jerusalem Post. 4 September 2014
- Ninet Breaks Down New Album ‘Paper Parachute’ w/ @RobertHerrera3 YouTube. 2 February 2017