SUMMARY / RELATED TOPICS

Raft

A raft is any flat structure for support or transportation over water. It is the most basic of boat design, characterized by the absence of a hull. Although there are cross-over boat types that blur this definition, rafts are kept afloat by using any combination of buoyant materials such as wood, sealed barrels, or inflated air chambers, are not propelled by an engine. Traditional or primitive rafts were constructed of wood or reeds. Modern rafts may use pontoons, drums, or extruded polystyrene blocks. Inflatable rafts up to the 20th century used flotation chambers made of goat- or buffalo-skins, but most now use durable, multi-layered rubberized fabrics. Depending on its use and size, it may have masts, or rudders. Timber rafting is used by the logging industry for the transportation of logs, by tying them together into rafts and drifting or pulling them down a river; this method was common up until the middle of the 20th century but is now used only rarely. Large rafts made of balsa logs and using sails for navigation were important in maritime trade on the Pacific Ocean coast of South America from pre-Columbian times until the 19th century.

Voyages were made to locations as far away as Mexico, many trans-Pacific voyages using replicas of ancient rafts have been undertaken to demonstrate possible contacts between South America and Polynesia. The type of raft used for recreational rafting is exclusively an inflatable boat, manufactured of flexible materials for use on whitewater. In biology in island biogeography, non-manmade rafts are an important concept; such rafts consist of matted clumps of vegetation, swept off the dry land by a storm, tide, earthquake or similar event. They stay afloat by its natural buoyancy and can travel for hundreds thousands of miles and are destroyed by wave action and decomposition, or make landfall. Rafting events are important means of oceanic dispersal for non-flying animals. For small mammals and reptiles in particular, but for many invertebrates as well, such rafts of vegetation are the only means by which they could reach and – if they are lucky – colonize oceanic islands before human-built vehicles provided another mode of transport.

Rafting on the Drina River - BH Film - Official chanal World of Boats Collection ~ Australian Reed Raft World of Boats Collection ~ Brazilian Jangada Homemade Raft Plans and Photos of Rafts Neutrino Raft – vessels made from scrap

2017 Pan American Men's Club Handball Championship

The 2017 Pan American Men's Club Handball Championship the X edition of this tournament took place in Villa Ballester, Buenos Aires, Argentina from 24 to 28 May 2017. It acts as a qualifying tournament for the 2017 IHF Super Globe. SAG Villa Ballester UNLu Handebol Taubaté EC Pinheiros Ovalle Balonmano Colegio Alemán All times are local. All-star teamGoalkeeper: Marcos Paulo Santos Right Wing: Andrés Kogovsek Right Back: Federico Pizarro Playmaker: André Silva Left Back: Leonardo Dutra Left Wing: André Soares Pivot: Vinícius Teixeira MVP: Federico Pizarro Official Web Site Pan American Handball Confederation website

Telmex

Telmex is a Mexican telecommunications company headquartered in Mexico City that provides telecommunications products and services in Mexico. Telmex is still the dominant fixed-line phone carrier in Mexico. In addition to traditional fixed-line telephone service, Telmex offers Internet access through their Infinitum brand of Wi-Fi networks, hosted services and IT services. Telmex owns 90 percent of the telephone lines in Mexico City and 80 percent of the lines in the country. Telmex is a wholly owned subsidiary of América Móvil. Telmex was founded in Mexico in 1947 when a group of Mexican investors bought Swedish Ericsson's Mexican branch. In 1950, the same investors bought the Mexican branch of the ITT Corporation, thus becoming the only telephone provider in the country. In 1972, the Mexican government bought the company. In 1990, Telmex was bought by a group of investors formed principally by Carlos Slim Helú, France Télécom, Southwestern Bell Corporation, whose tender was the largest. However, the payment itself took place over the course of the next several years, using revenues from the phone service.

After privatization, Telmex began investing in new modern infrastructure, creating a nationwide fiber optic network, thus offering service to most of the country. In 1991, the Mexican government sold its remaining stock in Telmex. Although Telmex is now a private company, it stills remains as a quasi-monopoly. There are other telephone companies in Mexico, but they have failed to be fierce competitors for Telmex. Among these companies are: Alestra, Maxcom, Megacable and Televisa-owned subsidiaries. Maxcom filed for bankruptcy on August 2019 in the Southern District of New York; the case is registered at #19-23491. In the 1990s, mobile telephones were becoming popular among the general population; the early market leader was Iusacell, Telmex had no presence in the market. This prompted Telmex to form a subsidiary to provide mobile communications; the subsidiary was Radio Móvil Dipsa, it offered service under the brand Telcel. Telcel started out in a distant second place in its mobile market, but in 1995 everything changed, when the Mexican currency crisis hit many Mexicans hard.

Iusacell decided to stay with wealthier customers, offering expensive plans, whereas Telcel began to offer the first prepaid mobile phone plans. Although, in effect, just as expensive as the contracts offered by Iusacell, the success of its prepaid plans provided Telcel the growth needed to become the leader in the mobile market within two years. In 2000, Telmex spun off their mobile unit, creating América Móvil, which controls Radio Móvil Dipsa and was free to develop its own business as an independent entity, it started with 80% of the mobile market. In 2010, America Móvil bought 60 % of Telmex. In 2011, America Móvil purchased the remaining 40% of Telmex. In August 2012, America Móvil started the process to de-list Telmex from the Mexican Stock Exchange. In the mid-1990s, Telmex began providing Internet access as an Internet service provider with the brand Uninet. A year the brand was changed to Telmex Internet Directo Personal. In 1996, Telmex bought Prodigy Communications and took the brand to Mexico, renaming the service Prodigy Internet de Telmex.

Thanks to their national coverage, Telmex became the leading national ISP. As of 2005, Telmex holds more than 80% of the market as an ISP, is the leader in broadband access with its brand Prodigy Infinitum. In 2001, Telmex sold the U. S. branch of Prodigy Communications to SBC, dubbed SBC Prodigy. However, Telmex continues to operate Prodigy in Mexico. In 2004, Telmex claimed that the number of users of Prodigy Internet grew by 190%.. Telmex dropped the Prodigy name from its advertising in 2009, replacing it with the "Infinitum" brand of Telmex internet services since that year; the name Prodigy is still used in the Mexican local site of MSN. Telmex owns Claro Sports. In the mid-1990s, AT&T Corporation and WorldCom, among others, began operating in Mexico, representing for the first time serious competition to Telmex. However, due to Telmex's incumbent monopoly position and well-developed infrastructure and coverage, none of them were believed to pose much threat to Telmex. After spinning off América Móvil, Telmex started an expansion plan, which started with the purchase of Guatemala's Telgua.

Telmex bought former state-owned phone companies in Central America, began operations in the USA with Telmex USA. In 2004, Telmex went into a shopping spree for undervalued operators in South America, including the purchase of AT&T's Latin American operations, giving it presence in Colombia, Peru, Chile, Argentina and Uruguay, increased reach in the United States. In the same year, Telmex bought from MCI Brazil's largest and most important long distance operator, acquired Chile's Chilesat, took control of Argentina's Techtel, of which it owned 60%, by purchasing the remaining 40% from the Techint group, purchased Argentina's Metrored. In the USA, Telmex bought 13.4% of bankrupt MCI. At the same time, sister company America Movil pursued a similar strategy by acquiring cellular operators CTI Movil in Argentina and Uruguay, Claro in Brazil and Peru, Porta in Ecuador and Comcel in Colombia. In 2005, Telmex sold its holdings in MCI to Verizon; as of January 2006, Telmex continued buying assets in Latin America and in the USA.

In March 2006, there were rumors. The reports said that the operat