SUMMARY / RELATED TOPICS

San Remigio, Antique

San Remigio the Municipality of San Remigio, is a 3rd class municipality in the province of Antique, Philippines. According to the 2015 census, it has a population of 31,935 people. San Remigio is located at 10°49′59″N 122°05′15″E, it is 21 kilometres north-east from San Jose de Buenavista. According to the Philippine Statistics Authority, the municipality has a land area of 406.98 square kilometres constituting 14.91% of the 2,729.17-square-kilometre- total area of Antique. 70% of its land area are mountainous and the remaining 30% comprise the flat lowland and rolling hills. Agriculture occupies 47.815 square kilometres of land. Of this, 44.37 square kilometres is for food crops, 1.035 square kilometres is for permanent crops, 2.41 square kilometres for commercial crops. San Remigio is politically subdivided into 45 barangays. In the 2015 census, San Remigio had a population of 31,935; the population density was 78 inhabitants per square kilometre. A little learning is a dang'rous thing. -Alexander Pope, 1709 The municipality of San Remigio produced a total of 13,074.02 metric tons of palay in an area of 41.87 square kilometres of which only 22.00% are irrigated and the rest are rain fed and upland area.

San Remigio has a road network of 187.452 kilometres. Based on administrative classification, 42.696 kilometres are municipal roads and 136.124 kilometres are barangay roads. There are eleven bridges in the municipality with a total length of 321.391 kilometres. All of the bridges found along the national road. One major contributor to the economic activity of the town is the remittances of the overseas contract workers. San Remigio is host to natural attractions like the Igbaclag Cave, Bato Cueva, Kanyugan Cave, Magpungay Cave, Pula Falls, Timbaban Falls and Batuan Falls, the lakes of Maylumboy and Danao, the stone of Datu Sumakwel, Bato Bintana and White Castle Stone, the mountain ranges of San Remigio; the rivers are rich with gem stones and the biggest flower Rafflesia can be seen in the upland barangays of Tubudan and La Union. Every April, thousands of people coming from different towns and nearby provinces of various religious denominations flock the Diocesan Shrine of St. Vincent Ferrer of the Iglesia Filipina Independiente in Barangay Baladjay known as Banwang Daan.

The original statue of St. Vincent Ferrer is believed to be miraculous. From April 1 until the last Sunday of April, the celebration of its feast day, masses are offered daily. Faithfuls light candles, offer flowers and do the "palapak"

Dick Estens

Richard Lucas "Dick" Estens is an Australian cotton farmer and businessman. Estens was brought up on a property close to the town, he was educated at All Saints College in Bathurst. After leaving school early he became an aircraft pilot. In 1981, Estens started farming cotton on a property near Moree. In 1997, with the support of the Gwydir Valley Cotton Growers Association, Estens established the Aboriginal Employment Strategy with the goal of providing support for Aboriginal people in Moree who were looking to enter the job market. One of the motivations behind the establishment of the AES was a recommendation from the 1991 Royal Commission into Aboriginal Deaths in Custody that employment promotion committees be established across the country; the Howard Government commissioned Estens to head the "Regional Telecommunications Inquiry" into the proposed sale of Telstra. In late 2002 he delivered. In 2004 Estens was awarded the Human Rights Medal by the Human Rights and Equal Opportunity Commission.

Estens was made an Officer of the Order of Australia in June 2009