|District of Bihar|
Location of Sitamarhi district in Bihar
|• Lok Sabha constituencies||Sitamarhi|
|• Assembly seats||Riga, Bathnaha, Parihar, Sursand, Bajpatti, Sitamarhi, Runnisaidpur, Belsand|
|• Total||2,294 km2 (886 sq mi)|
|• Density||1,500/km2 (3,900/sq mi)|
|• Urban||5.71 per cent|
|• Literacy||53.53 per cent|
|• Sex ratio||899|
|Major highways||NH 104|
|Average annual precipitation||1200 mm|
Sitamarhi is one of the districts of the state of Bihar, India. Dumra is the administrative headquarters of this district. The district is a part of the Tirhut Division and is located along the border of Nepal.
This place is considered as birthplace of Sita, the main character of the epic Ramayana and a temple dedicated to Sita lies near Sitamarhi town. A Rock cut sanctuary of Mouryan period is found near Sitamarhi.
In 1875, a Sitamarhi subdistrict was created within the Muzaffarpur district. Sitmarhi was detached from Muzaffarpur and became a separate district as of December 11, 1972. It is situated in the northern part of Bihar. The district headquarters is located in Dumra, five kilometers south of Sitamarhi.[clarification needed]
Today’s Sitamarhi is a pilgrim centre catering to presentation of tradition and mythology. Its legendary association with the classic story of Ramayana gives it a place in the itinerary of a pious Hindu. Though the district of Sitamarhi is known as a religious destination, along with its shrines and temples, it also holds other attractions, such as the Kanti thermal power station, and the city of Sitamarhi offers natural vistas and fashionable buildings.
Colleges and Universities: S.R.K.G. College, Raghunath Jha College
Schools: K.V. jawahar nagar(KVS Sutihara), Jawahar Navodaya vidyalaya(JNV Sitamarhi), NSDAV, MP High School (Sitamarhi High School, Dumra), Central School, DPS
Sitamarhi is located at26.6°N 85.48°E. It has an average elevation of 56 metres (183 feet). sitamarhi district is drained by rivers such as baghmati, aghwara, lakhandei (lakshman rekha), manusmara & few other minor streams. the northern portion of sitamarhi falls in foothills of himalaya. here elevation increases as one goes from south to north.The ground is not rocky and there are no mountains. Land is suitable for growing crops.There is no water scarcity as ground water is present.
Sitamarhi district comprises 3 Sub-divisions:
- Sitamarhi Sadar,
|1. Dumra, Sitamarhi|
|2. Runni Saidpur|
|16. Parsauni sitamarhi|
It is one of the 38 districts in Bihar currently receiving funds from the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme (BRGF).
The following is a list of Schools in Sitamarhi, Bihar, India.
- JNV Sitamarhi
- Janki Vidya Niketan [better source needed]
- Sacred Heart School[better source needed]
Brilliant Public School Sitamarhi
Hellen's School Sitamarhi
MP High School (Sitamarhi High School, Dumra)
DELHI PUBLIC SCHOOL Lagma
Mathura High School
Lakshmi High School
Kamala-Girls High School
Saraswati Vidya Mandir
National Highway 77 connects the area to the Muzaffarpur district and Patna to the South. Sitamarhi has road connections to adjoining districts, of which the major examples are National Highway 77 and National Highway 104. It is situated on the Darbhanga Narkatiaganj railway line and has the largest railway station of district. Another broad gauge track, running between Muzaffarpur and Sitamarhi. Direct train services are available to places such as New Delhi, Kolkata, Varanasi, Hyderabad and Kanpur. State highways link it to the Madhubani (to the east) and Sheohar (to the west) districts. Railway lines connect Sitamarhi to Darbhanga in east, and to Muzaffarpur in south and to Raxaul in west. Sitamarhi has a railway junction. Sitamarhi railway station is on Raxaul-Darbhanga rail route. Sitamarhi is getting connected to all major railway stations in India and the rail network is growing rapidly with many new trains being added to further connect this holy place to every corner of India and make it easier for tourists to travel.
The nearest airport to Sitamarhi is the Jaiprakash Narayan International Airport which is about 120 km from Sitamarhi. This airport is well connected to other airports in the country like Delhi International airport. Taxi cabs are easily available from Airport to Sitamarhi.
Sitamarhi is well connected to all cities in and around Bihar by state owned transport services. Some private deluxe buses also operate between Patna and Sitamarhi.
R D Place cinema hall is located in the heart of Sitamarhi of Bihar and is one of the most prominent movie theatre in Bihar. It is one of the prestigious & spacious cinema hall in and around North Bihar serving the public for more than 10 years. The seating arrangements are superb having push back seats with fully air child in the cinema hall and the screen size is the largest in the area. It also has digital surround sound system.
According to the 2011 census Sitamarhi district has a population of 3,419,622, roughly equal to the nation of Panama or the US state of Connecticut. This gives it a ranking of 96th in India (out of a total of 640). The district has a population density of 1,491 inhabitants per square kilometre (3,860/sq mi) . Its population growth rate over the decade 2001-2011 was 27.47%. Sitamarhi has a sex ratio of 899 females for every 1000 males, and a literacy rate of 53.53%.
- Preeti Suman - Preeti Suman is an Indian actress, lyricist, social worker, assistant director who works in Hindi films. She has received the Tilka Manjhi Rastriya Award
- Ram Dulari Sinha - Former Union Minister & Governor & Freedom Fighter, First woman from Bihar to become Governor
- Ram Kumar Sharma - Ram Kumar Sharma Kushwaha is an Indian politician and a member of parliament from Sitamarhi (Lok Sabha constituency), Bihar.
- Ritu Jaiswal - Ritu Jaiswal (born 26 August 1977) is the Mukhiya of Gram Panchayat Raj Singhwahini, Sonbarsha, Sitamarhi, Bihar.
- Thakur Jugal Kishore Sinha - Former MP & Freedom Fighter. Father of Co-operative Movement
- Thakur Jugal Kishore Sinha, Freedom Fighter, Member 1st Lok Sabha, popularly known as the father of Cooperative Movement
- Ram Dulari Sinha, Freedom Fighter, Former Union Minister & Governor
- Madhurendra Kumar Singh - Congress leader, Ex Director Central Warehousing Corporation, Ex Director Bihar State Cooperative Bank, Ex Chairman of Bihar Cane Growers Association, Ex Contestant Sheohar (Lok Sabha constituency)
- Sitaram Yadav, Ex M.P.
- Chakrabarti, Dilip K (2001). Archaeological Geography of the Ganga Plain: The Lower and the Middle Ganga. New Delhi: Orient Blacksawn. p. 207. ISBN 9788178240169. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Sen, S N (1999). Ancient Indian History And Civilization. New Age International. p. 166. ISBN 9788122411980. Retrieved 20 March 2013.
- Official Website of the District and Civil Court of Sitmahri Archived 2010-05-25 at the Wayback Machine., Retrieved May 26, 2010
- District Health Action Plan Archived 2011-11-25 at the Wayback Machine., National Rural Health Mission, Government of Bihar, Retrieved May 25, 2010
- Law, Gwillim (2011-09-25). "Districts of India". Statoids. Archived from the original on 2011-10-17. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
- "83 districts under the Security Related Expenditure Scheme". IntelliBriefs. 2009-12-11. Archived from the original on 2011-10-27. Retrieved 2011-09-17.
- Srivastava, Dayawanti et al. (ed.) (2010). "States and Union Territories: Bihar: Government". India 2010: A Reference Annual (54th ed.). New Delhi, India: Additional Director General, Publications Division, Ministry of Information and Broadcasting (India), Government of India. pp. 1118–1119. ISBN 978-81-230-1617-7.
- "Island Directory Tables: Islands by Land Area". United Nations Environment Program. 1998-02-18. Archived from the original on 2015-12-01. Retrieved 2011-10-11.
Groote Eylandt 2,285km2
- Ministry of Panchayati Raj (September 8, 2009). "A Note on the Backward Regions Grant Fund Programme" (PDF). National Institute of Rural Development. Archived from the original (PDF) on April 5, 2012. Retrieved September 27, 2011.
- "Janki Vidya Niketan - Janki Vidya Niketan". Archived from the original on 2017-07-31.
- "Sacred Heart School Sitamarhi - Sacred Heart School Sitamarhi". Archived from the original on 2017-07-31.
- "District Census 2011". Census2011.co.in. 2011. Archived from the original on 2011-06-11. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- US Directorate of Intelligence. "Country Comparison:Population". Archived from the original on 27 September 2011. Retrieved 2011-10-01.
Panama 3,460,462 July 2011 est.
- "2010 Resident Population Data". U. S. Census Bureau. Archived from the original on 2013-10-19. Retrieved 2011-09-30.
- Official website
- Political Map of Sitamarhi District (showing subdistricts)
- Sitamarhi Information Portal