Taylor at a Diesel fashion show in July 2008
December 10, 1990|
New York City, U.S.
Teyana Taylor (born December 10, 1990) is an American recording artist, actress, dancer, and model from Harlem. In 2007, Taylor signed a record deal with American musician Pharrell Williams' Star Trak Entertainment imprint, before making her first national appearance on MTV's My Super Sweet 16. In 2012, she signed to Kanye West's GOOD Music label through Def Jam, after asking for her release from Star Trak. As an aspiring songwriter, Taylor has worked with and written records for artists such as Usher, Chris Brown, and Omarion. Taylor has appeared on runways during Fashion Week and has also landed high-profile features, such as on Kanye West’s My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy. She stars in the VH1 reality television show Teyana and Iman, alongside her husband, NBA player Iman Shumpert.
Teyana Taylor was born December 10, 1990 and raised in Harlem, New York City. She is of Afro-Trinidadian descent. Taylor is her mother's only child. Her father has two sons and another daughter from a different relationship. Her mother raised her with her family and is currently her manager. At age nine, she picked up a microphone in front of a crowd and began performing. Taylor was enrolled in many different talent competitions, including the Apollo Theater National All-Stars talent search, although she never won. Growing up, Taylor had strong influences from Lauryn Hill, Stevie Wonder, Janet Jackson, and Michael Jackson.
2006–11: Early career
In September 2006, Teyana Taylor was credited as the choreographer on the music video for American entertainer Beyoncé's hit single, "Ring the Alarm". In January 2007, Taylor signed a deal to American recording artist and record producer Pharrell Williams' Star Trak Entertainment imprint, through Interscope Records. In February 2007, Taylor first came into the public's awareness through her episode on MTV's My Super Sweet Sixteen, a show depicting over-the-top birthday parties for rich teenagers. In 2007, Taylor appeared in the music video for Jay-Z's single, "Blue Magic", where she can be seen dancing and popping.
In February 2008, Taylor released her commercial debut single, called "Google Me". The song was released as the lead single for her debut full-length project, which is her debut mixtape, titled From a Planet Called Harlem. The tape features the production from Jazze Pha, Pharrell, Mad Scientist, Frost, Shondre and Hit-Boy, among others. The tape also features "a mix of throwback break beats, futuristic boom bap, and melodic renderings is the perfect backdrop for the starlet's musical mayhem." "Google Me" reached at number 90 on the US Billboard's Hot R&B/Hip-Hop Songs. On August 16, 2009, Taylor released her debut mixtape, From a Planet Called Harlem. The tape was also released for free download, billed as "the mixtape before her debut album".
In August 2010, Taylor ventured her career into acting, appearing in the sequel of Stomp the Yard, titled Stomp the Yard: Homecoming. She also appeared on the debut episode of House of Glam on Oxygen, which aired in October 2010. In 2010, just hours before Kanye West's fifth album My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy, had to be turned in, West called Taylor to the studio to look at some of her fashion pieces. When Taylor struck up a friendship with West and the whole GOOD Music family before her first meeting West on his Glow in the Dark Tour, with Pharrell's band N.E.R.D. and Rihanna. While in the studio, Taylor was determined to make the appearance on West's fifth album. She purposefully hummed along with the tracks he played for her, to get his attention. He eventually asked her to put her vocals on a few tracks, notably "Dark Fantasy" and "Hell of a Life". Upon recalling the experience of recording "Dark Fantasy", Taylor stated that "at the time it was pretty empty, just verses." She remembers that West "put [her] in another room by [herself] and said, 'Go'." Taylor came back with the "intro and chorus," and "did all the scratches and the cuts [herself]." She admitted that she was "nervous" upon letting West hear her contributions to the tracks, trying to cover her nervousness by stating that she "hadn’t been in the studio for so long."
In 2010, Taylor contributed on one of the GOOD Music's GOOD Friday tracks, titled "Christmas In Harlem". The track was released as a shortened version of the single to the iTunes Store on December 17, 2010, which features guest appearances from American rappers Cyhi the Prynce and West. In 2010, Taylor, alongside fellow American rapper Bow Wow, were offered their roles for Tyler Perry's play-turned-film Madea's Big Happy Family, the fifth installment in Perry's series, which was released on April 22, 2011. Taylor delved back into music and was featured on the hook of the single, called "Party Tonight", alongside these fellow rappers Randyn Julius, Jim Jones and Cam'ron. Randyn Julius was later enlisted for Junior Reid to do his part to the remix to the track.
2012–17: GOOD Music and debut
In January 2012, it was announced Taylor was granted her release from her contract with Interscope and Star Trak. Taylor stated that she and Star Trak founder Pharrell Williams, have remained amicable since the end of their business relationship. She has credited him as a "big brother" and sees her early signing to Star Trak as a "blessing." Taylor has stated on many occasions that her release from the label was necessary because she wanted to have a level of independence in the music industry. In an interview with DJ Skee, Taylor mentioned that "when [she] was signed for six years, [she] felt like she couldn't do [anything]," and that she "couldn't prove to [her] fans that [she] had the talent" and "couldn't sing from [her] heart."
As an independent artist at the time of her release, she had begun preparing her second release, a mixtape titled The Misunderstanding of Teyana Taylor. The mixtape drew influences from 1990s R&B legends like Lauryn Hill and Mary J. Blige. The tape was released in the first half of 2012, and was preceded by the release of "Make Your Move" (feat. Wale) and "D.U.I." (feat. Jadakiss & Fabolous), which was released on February 25, 2012. More positive reviews of the latter track note that "The Harlem songstress channels Janet Jackson as she glides over the smooth Hit-Boy-produced beat with her airy vocals, while fellow New Yorkers Fabolous and Jadakiss ride shotgun".
After some time as an independent artist and taking time to find herself as an artist, Taylor signed a joint-venture deal with Kanye West's label GOOD Music and The Island Def Jam Music Group, on June 14, 2012. As part of GOOD Music, Taylor appears on the GOOD Music compilation album Cruel Summer, released September 18, 2012. She provides vocals for the opening track "To the World," with Kanye West and R. Kelly, provides the hook and chorus for "Sin City," which also features John Legend, Cyhi the Prynce, Malik Yusef and Travis Scott, and also duets with John Legend on a song titled "Bliss." Taylor and Legend's duet on the album was highly praised, Erika Ramirez of Billboard.com notes that "Teyana Taylor's beautifully brash voice ... illuminates in the electric-guitar heavy, Hudson Mohawke-produced 'Bliss'."
In addition to being featured on the GOOD Music compilation Cruel Summer, Taylor soon began the process of recording her major-label debut album, to be released eventually through GOOD Music and The Island Def Jam Music Group. On July 27, 2014, via Twitter, Taylor announced the title of her debut studio album to be VII and revealed it would be released on November 4, through Def Jam and GOOD Music. The album debuted at number 19 on the Billboard 200, selling 16,000 copies in the United States in its first week. In its second week, the album dropped to number 78 on the chart, selling 5,000 copies. In its third, the album dropped to number 160 on the chart, selling 3,000 copies, bringing its total album sales to 24,000 copies at that time.
Taylor was set to be a judge on the eighth season of the American competitive dance reality television series, America's Best Dance Crew, which aired its first episode on July 29, 2015 on MTV. On August 25, Taylor released her first extended play (EP), titled The Cassette Tape 1994. The EP pays tribute to the iconic 90s sound and includes many samples from 90s hits.
On June 17, 2016, Taylor released her single "Freak On", featuring guest vocals from Chris Brown and production by DJ Mustard. It samples "Freak Like Me" by Adina Howard. Taylor announced that it will be the lead single from her upcoming second studio album. On August 28, 2016, at the MTV Video Music Awards, Kanye West released the world premiere of the music video for his single, "FADE", which features Taylor performing a dance routine, in a likeness to the 1983 film Flashdance. The video, directed by Eli Russell Linnetz, features Taylor dancing throughout a gymnasium and there is also an appearance by her husband, Iman Shumpert.
In April 2018, Kanye West announced two new albums, a solo album and self-titled collaboration with Kid Cudi under the name Kids See Ghosts, both of which would be released in June. Additionally, he revealed he would produce upcoming albums by GOOD Music label-mates Pusha T and Teyana Taylor, as well as Nas. Pusha T's Daytona, was the first project out of Wyoming weekly releases. The following week, West released his album, Ye. The week after, West released a collaborative album with Kid Cudi, titled Kids See Ghosts, named after their group of the same name. The following week the fourth album from the Wyoming sessions, Nasir by Nas, was released. Taylor's album K.T.S.E. (initialism of Keep That Same Energy) was the last of the five weekly releases to be distributed and was released on June 22, 2018.
In 2013, Taylor signed a deal to design and release two pairs of sneakers with Adidas. The first pair released were the Harlem GLC's which hit stores February 16 the same year. According to Adidas Global Director of Entertainment and Influence Marketing, Jonathan Wexler, Taylor currently holds the record for fastest selling sneakers in Adidas Originals history. She is currently focused on designing and releasing her second pair of sneakers with the brand. In March 2017, Teyana Taylor launched her "Fade 2 Fit" Workout Program, a ninety-day workout which centers around dance and fitness routines. The inspiration for this program and the incorporated dance elements come from her work in the music video for Kanye West's "Fade". She also released a line of workout apparel, also called Fade2Fit.
On December 16, 2015, Taylor gave birth to a daughter, Iman "Junie" Tayla Shumpert. After going into early labor, her husband Iman Shumpert delivered their baby with his bare hands at the couple's home. On September 20, 2016, on The Wendy Williams Show, Taylor revealed that she and Shumpert were secretly married, though that was false at the time; the couple did not actually wed until October 1, 2016, approximately two weeks after she appeared on The Wendy Williams Show.
- Stomp the Yard: Homecoming (2010)
- Madea's Big Happy Family (2011)
- Gang of Roses II: Next Generation (2012)
- Cruel Summer (2012)
- The Start Up (2013)
- The Love Section (2013)
- Brotherly Love (2015)
- Star (2017-2018)
- The Breaks (2017)
- Honey: Rise Up and Dance (2018)
- Teyana & Iman (2018)
- Hit the Floor (2018)
- The After Party (2018)
- "Happy Birthday To New Rochelles Teyana Taylor". New Rochelle Daily Voice. Retrieved 2018-08-09.
- Petrarca, Emilia. "Everything You Need to Know About Teyana Taylor, the Dancer in Kanye West's "Fade" Video". W Magazine. Retrieved 2018-06-04.
- "Teyana Taylor Signs to Kanye West's G.O.O.D. Music". Rap-Up.com. 2012-05-14. Retrieved 2012-07-23.
- "Career 4".
- "Career 3".
- "Early Life 1".
- "13 Things to Know About Teyana Taylor, the Star of Kanye West's New Music Video for "Fade"". 29 August 2016.
- "Teyana Taylor Music Videos as Choreographer - IMVDb".
- "Teyana Taylor Biography - AOL Music". Music.aol.com. 1969-12-31. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "TEYANA TAYLOR DROPS HER DEBUT ALBUM, 'FROM A PLANET CALLED HARLEM' IN MAY". Skope Magazine. Skope Entertainment Inc. 2008-03-31. Retrieved 2013-06-10.
- "New Music To Know: Teyana Taylor is the Young R&B Diva, Seven Years in the Making". Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "Google Me - Single by Teyana Taylor". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- "Career 2".
- "Teyana Taylor - Star Trak Presents.....From A Planet Called Harlem // Free Mixtape". DatPiff. Idle Media Inc. 2009-08-16. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- capone666 (25 January 2011). "Stomp the Yard: Homecoming (2010)". IMDb. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Wete, Brad. August 2012 "Interview: Teyana Taylor Talks Joining G.O.O.D. Music, Influencing Fashion & Being Givemegive me tgat booty botygDoubted" Check
- "Christmas In Harlem - Single". itunes.apple.com. Retrieved 17 December 2010.
- "Career 5".
- "Randyn Julius – Party Tonight feat. Jim Jones, Cam'Ron, Teyana Taylor & Alphared (Duane DaRock)".
- Hip Hop Singles. hiphopdx.com
- "Teyana Taylor Released from Star Trak/Interscope, Readies Free EP". Rap-Up.com. 2012-01-17. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "News - Teyana Taylor Officially Released from Pharrell's Star Trak Label - Singersroom.com". Singersroom. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Teyana Taylor explains why she asked to be released from Pharrell's Star Trak. YouTube. 2 May 2012. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Universe, Sway. "Teyana Taylor explains why she asked to be released from Pharrell's". YouTube.com. Retrieved 2 May 2012.
- Skee, DJ. "Interview: Teyana Taylor Talks Star Trak, Wale, Meek Mill & More with DJ Skee". YouTube.com. Retrieved 16 January 2012.
- Wete, Brad. "Interview: Teyana Taylor Talks Joining G.O.O.D. Music, Influencing Fashion & Being Doubted". complex.com/music/. Retrieved 3 August 2012.
- "STREAM/DOWNLOAD: Teyana Taylor ft. Fabolous & Jadakiss – D.U.I." Under the Gun Review. 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- "New Music: Teyana Taylor f/ Fabolous & Jadakiss – 'D.U.I.'". Rap-Up.com. 2012-02-25. Retrieved 2012-02-29.
- Alexis, Nadeska. "Teyana Taylor Is G.O.O.D. Music's 'Spoiled Brat'". MTV.com. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- Inc., Apple. "Kanye West Presents Good Music Cruel Summer". apple.com. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- Ramirez, Erika. "G.O.O.D. Music, 'Cruel Summer': Track-By-Track Review". billboard.com. Retrieved 18 September 2012.
- McGloster, Niki. "Teyana Taylor: G.O.O.D. Girl, Urban Chic". vibevixen.com. Retrieved 11 September 2012.
- "TEYANA M.J. TAYLOR on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- "GOOD Music News on Twitter". Twitter. Retrieved 14 June 2015.
- Mendizabal, Amaya (13 November 2014). "Teyana Taylor Debuts at No. 1 on Top R&B/Hip-Hop Albums". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 14 November 2014.
- Tardio, Andres (2014-11-19). "Hip Hop Album Sales: Big K.R.I.T., T.I., Chris Brown". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-11-19.
- Tardio, Andres (2014-11-26). "Hip Hop Album Sales: Big K.R.I.T., T.I., Chris Brown". HipHop DX. Retrieved 2014-11-26.
- "Meet The Six All-Star Crews Vying To Be 'America's Best Dance Crew'". MTV.com. Retrieved 2015-07-07.
- Leight, Elias (August 25, 2015). "Stream Teyana Taylor's Cassette Tape 1994 EP". The FADER. Retrieved September 4, 2015.
- "Teyana Taylor And Chris Brown Throw It Back With "Freak On"".
- "Teyana Taylor, The Girl In Kanye's Racy 'Fade' Video, Was An Early MTV Star".
- "Kanye West Just Surprise-Dropped His New 'Fade' Video At The VMAs".
- Strauss, Matthew. "Kanye Announces 2 New Albums, Including Kid Cudi Collaboration". Pitchfork. Retrieved April 20, 2018.
- Wicks, Amanda (April 23, 2018). "Kanye Says He's Producing Nas' New Album". Retrieved April 23, 2018.
- "KANYE WEST on Twitter: "Daytona is the first project out of Wyoming. I'm really proud of what we put together. We've spent a year and a half digging for samples and writing. I really appreciate the overwhelmingly positive response that we've been receiving. 🙏🙏🙏". Twitter. May 24, 2018. Retrieved May 24, 2018.
- "Kanye West Unveils New Album YE | Pitchfork". pitchfork.com. Retrieved June 1, 2018.
- Skelton, Erik (June 3, 2018). "Kanye West Says He Completely Redid His Album After TMZ". Pigeons & Planes. Retrieved June 7, 2018.
- Maicki, Salvatore (June 22, 2018). "Stream Teyana Taylor's KTSE album release party". The FADER. Retrieved June 22, 2018.
- "Jonathan Wexler twitter". Twitter. February 16, 2013. Archived from the original on February 17, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- "Teyana Taylor Talks Her Adidas Harlem GLC Sneaker, Being The Top Female Sneakerhead with HHS1987 (Video)", Hip Hop Since 1987, February 15, 2013. Retrieved March 31, 2013.
- Dwyer, Kelly (December 17, 2015). "Iman Shumpert delivered his daughter with his bare hands". Yahoo.com. Retrieved December 17, 2015.
- French, Megan (September 21, 2016). "Teyana Taylor Reveals She's Married To Iman Shumpert". Usmagazine.com. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Muhammad, Latifah (September 21, 2016). "Teyana Taylor Reveals She's Already Married To Iman Shumpert". Etonline.com. Retrieved October 1, 2016.
- Teyana Taylor on IMDb
- Teyana Taylor at AllMusic
- Teyana Taylor on MySpace
- Teyana Taylor at Fashion Week