University of Twente
|Technische Hogeschool Twente|
|Motto||High Tech, Human Touch|
|Endowment||€ 304.5 M|
|Affiliations||4TU, CESAER, ECIU, EUA|
The University of Twente (Dutch: Universiteit Twente; Dutch pronunciation: [ynivɛrsiˈtɛit ˈtʋɛntə], abbr. UT) is a public research university located in Enschede, Netherlands. It offers degrees in the fields of social sciences, exact sciences and is highly specialized in engineering.
The UT collaborates with Delft University of Technology, Eindhoven University of Technology and the Wageningen University and Research Centre under the umbrella of 4TU and is also a partner in the European Consortium of Innovative Universities (ECIU). The UT is ranked 65th in the Reuters's 2017 European Most Innovative Universities, and, 153rd worldwide in 2018 according to the Times Higher Education magazine.
This section needs expansion. You can help by adding to it. (March 2018)
The university was founded in 1961 as Technische Hogeschool Twente. After Delft and Eindhoven, it was the third higher vocational institute of technology in the Netherlands to become a university. The institution was renamed to Universiteit Twente (University of Twente) in 1986. The Dutch government's decision to locate the university in Enschede, the main city of Twente, had much to do with the north-eastern province's rich industrial history. Another important consideration was the fact that the local economy needed a boost to compensate for the dwindling textile industry.
The University of Twente was built on the former country estate of Drienerlo, situated between Hengelo and Enschede. The 140-hectare estate consists of woodland, meadows and water. Architects Van Tijen and Van Embden designed the first — and so far only — Dutch campus university along American lines where students and staff live, work and pursue their leisure activities on campus. Through the years, several other important architects and artists have made their own contributions to the design of the campus.
Students and staff at the University of Twente continue to form an active academic community. The Student Union, which is run entirely by students, promotes the interests of all student societies and also manages several premises, including the student social centre in the heart of Enschede. Besides, over hundred sports, cultural, international, social and business associations are part of the student life in the University of Twente.
The current director of the university is professor Thom Palstra. The other two members of the executive board are Victor van der Chijs (President Executive Board) and Mirjam Built-Spiering (Vice-President)
There are five Faculties at the University of Twente:
- Behavioural Sciences, Management and Social Sciences (BMS)
- Engineering Technology (CTW)
- Electrical Engineering, Mathematics and Computer Science (EEMCS)
- Science and Technology (TNW)
- Faculty of Geo-information Sciences and Earth Observation (formerly known as ITC Enschede)
Each Faculty is in turn organized into several departments.
- MESA+ Institute for Nanotechnology
- MIRA Institute for Biomedical Technology and Technical Medicine
- Center for Telematics and Information technology (CTIT)
- Institute for Innovation and Governance Studies (IGS)
- Faculty of Geo Information Science and Earth Observation (ITC)
- Programme for Science Based Engineering (SBE)
Knowledge and research centres
- Center for Philosophy of Technology and Engineering Science (CEPTES)
- Center for European Studies (CES)
- Center for Higher Education Policy Studies (CHEPS)
- Center for healthcare operations improvement & research (CHOIR)
- Centre for integrated manufacturing and development (CIPV)
- Center for clean technology and environmental policy (CSTM)
- Nikos - Dutch institute for knowledge intensive entrepreneurship
- Science, Technology, and Policy Studies (STePS)
- Twente Water Centre (TWC)
The degree programs at the University of Twente range from business administration and psychology to applied physics, engineering and biomedical technology. Most students combine coursework in their major subject with a coherent set of minors in another discipline. A growing number of foreign students are finding their way to the UT. Almost all postgraduate programs (and several undergraduate programs) are taught entirely in English. Half of all PhD students at the UT now come from outside the Netherlands.
The University of Twente sets great importance on the useful application of knowledge in the society. Patents, lifelong learning programs, and spin-off companies testify to this commitment, as does UT’s intensive involvement in research programs that enhance knowledge infrastructure in the Netherlands. So far, the UT has produced over 1,000 spin-off companies; more than any other Dutch university. UT is also one of the founders of Novel-T, formerly Stichting Kennispark Twente, a startup accelerator and support program for university spin-offs.
|ARWU World||301-400 (2017)|
|Times World||179 (2018)|
|USNWR World||319 (2018)|
|QS World||179 (2018)|
The 2017 Times Higher Education World University Rankings ranked the University of Twente 153 overall in the world. Also, the University was ranked 82 overall in the world in the field of Engineering and technology and 61 in the field of Computer Science.
The University of Twente also holds the title of the most entrepreneurial university in Netherlands and was voted the best Dutch university in the area of valorization.
Timeline of rectors
- 1963 - 1967: Gerrit Berkhoff (died in 1996)
- 1967 - 1971: Jo Vlugter
- 1971 - 1974: Pieter Zandbergen
- 1974 - 1976: Jan Kreiken (d. 2001)
- 1976 - 1979: Izak Willem van Spiegell (d. 2005)
- 1979 - 1982: Harry van den Kroonenberg (d. 1996)
- 1982 - 1985: Wiebe Draijer (d. 2007)
- 1985 - 1988: Harry van den Kroonenberg (second term)
- 1988 - 1992: Jos de Smit
- 1992 - 1997: Theo Popma (d. 2013)
- 1997 - 2004: Frans van Vught
- 2005 - 2009: Henk Zijm
- 2009 - 2016: Ed Brinksma
- 2016–present: Thom Palstra
- Iain Baikie, Professor of Physics and winner of the Swan Medal
- Rob Bats, Dutch politician
- Albert van den Berg, Professor of Physics and 2009 winner of the Spinoza Prize
- Ank Bijleveld, Dutch politician
- Yasemin Çegerek, MP of the Labour Party
- Peter Flach, Professor of Artificial Intelligence at the University of Bristol
- Henry Franken, Co-founder and managing director of BiZZdesign
- Dirk-Willem van Gulik, Founder of the Apache Software Foundation
- Jaap Haartsen, Inventor of Bluetooth
- Bas Lansdorp, Co-founder and CEO of Mars One
- Merlyna Lim, Professor, Canada Research Chair, and member of Royal Society of Canada College
- Han Polman, Dutch politician
- Gom van Strien, Dutch politician
- Fred Teeven, State Secretary for Security and Justice
- Geert-Jan Bruinsma, Founder of Booking.com
- Giancarlo Guizzardi, Creator of the Unified Foundational Ontology and the OntoUML language
Notes and references
- "Facts and Figures 2015-2016". University of Twente. Retrieved 18 February 2018.
- Editorial, Reuters. "Top 100 European Innovative Universities Profile". U.S. Retrieved 2018-01-18.
- "History of the University of Twente". Archived from the original on 3 February 2014. Retrieved 26 January 2014.
- "Life at the University | Campus Life | MSc University of Twente". Universiteit Twente. Retrieved 2017-01-14.
- "The Student Union". Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "Members of the Executive Board". Retrieved 2 December 2016.
- "University of Twente, Faculties". Retrieved 2 December 2015.
- "University of Twente Top universities".
- "News | Kennispark Twente becomes Novel-T | University of Twente - Enschede". Universiteit Twente. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- "Founders Novel-T". Novel T. Retrieved 2018-02-18.
- Academic Ranking of World Universities - University of Twente
- QS World University Rankings 2018
- World University Rankings 2018
- U.S. News Education: Best Global Universities 2018
- "Leiden Ranking 2016". Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Webometrics Ranking of World Universities". www.webometrics.info. Retrieved 23 February 2015.
- "QS World University Rankings 2016".
- "Times Higher Education World University Rankings". Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "Times Higher Education World University Rankings - Overview University of Twente".
- "Academic Ranking of World Universities 2016". Retrieved 2016-12-05.
- "University of Twente again voted the most entrepreneurial university in the Netherlands".
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to University of Twente.|