1842 in art
This article does not cite any sources. (December 2009) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Events from the year 1842 in art.
- David Roberts begins publication of Sketches in the Holy Land (chromolithographs).
- Richard Dadd becomes mentally ill during a tour of the Middle East and is thought to be suffering from sunstroke.
- Construction work resumes on Cologne Cathedral, after a gap of nearly three centuries.
- George Hayter granted a knighthood.
- William Fox Talbot receives the Rumford Medal of the Royal Society.
- George R. Lewis records the famous carvings at Kilpeck church, Herefordshire.
- Dordrechts Museum established in the Netherlands.
- Thomas Brigstocke – Alnaschar, the Barber's fifth Brother
- Ford Madox Brown – Manfred on the Jungfrau
- Thomas Cole – The Voyage of Life (National Gallery of Art, Washington, D.C.)
- William Powell Frith – Dolly Varden
- Benjamin Haydon – Wordsworth on Helvellyn
- Jean Auguste Dominique Ingres – Odalisque with Slave
- Daniel Maclise – The Play-scene in Hamlet
- Thomas Phillips – Michael Faraday
- J. M. W. Turner
- Franz Xaver Winterhalter – Portrait of Prince Albert
- June 12 – Harry Hems, English architectural and ecclesiastical sculptor (died 1916)
- October 18 – Sydney Prior Hall, English portraitist and illustrator (died 1922)
- November 29 – William Blake Richmond, English painter and interior decorator (died 1921)
- December 16 – Otto Sinding, Norwegian painter (died 1909)
- December 18 – William Anderson, collector of Japanese art (died 1900)
- March 16 - Archer James Oliver, British portrait painter (born 1774)
- March 30 – Marie Louise Élisabeth Vigée-Lebrun, painter (born 1755)
- May 12 – Walenty Wańkowicz, Belarusian-Polish painter (born 1799)
- July 7 – Louis-André-Gabriel Bouchet, French historical painter (born 1759)
- July 28 – John Sell Cotman, English artist of the Norwich school especially watercolours (born 1782)
- August 28 – Peter Fendi, Austrian portrait and genre painter, engraver, and lithographer (born 1796)
- November 17 – John Varley, English watercolour painter and astrologer (born 1778)
- date unknown
- Giovanni Balestra, Italian engraver (born 1774)
- George Barret, Jr., English landscape painter (born 1767)
- Paolo Caronni, Italian engraver (born 1779)
- Gilles-François Closson, Belgian landscape painter (born 1796)
- Charles Codman, landscape painter of Portland, Maine (born 1800)
- Kapiton Pavlov, Russian portrait painter (born 1791)
- James Stuart, Irish-Australian painter (born 1802)